Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

There is no reason to believe that the funding for those trips was in any way improper.

In fact, as was explained by  Willie O’Reilly who has experience in various media outlets in Ireland, all these practices are normal in the industry . The fact that you, and I, don't like the idea of wining and dining clients doesn't mean that it was in any way improper.

The two invoices at the centre of this were found by the auditors and brought to the attention of the CFO, the DG and then the chair of the ARC all within ten days. And within another ten days a forensic investigation was started.

I have to say, the sort of comments you are throwing out are the reason a lot of very capable people would never serve on a board of a state company.

And that is to acknowledge that the RTE should not have been trying to undermine its' own policy on salary cuts by making under the table payments. But let us find out where the faults lie and not sack the whistle-blower.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,850 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There is no reason to believe that the funding for those trips was in any way improper.

Nothing to do with whether they were correct or not, although hiring a bus to go from Drumcondra to Croke Park smacks forebodingly of excess we have seen elsewhere.

They fact is these costs were not on the books.

Is that the basis for a query or not, under several of the terms of reference they had?

My 15 year old would figure out the question...'If there is no record of payment for this on the books in front of us, who the hell paid for it, Santy Claus?'

'Capable people'???

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The most stupid idea put forward through all of this has been that the Chair of the Risk and Audit Committee should be fired. It is a hysterical, nonsensical, hypberbolic, sensationalist reaction to the events.

OK. I give up

Do you think any of them should be told to clear their desks Rock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The last time I saw Verona Murphy trending on twitter, a few months ago, it's because she was being praised for grinding down a stubborn witness (from one of the universities as far as I recall), at the PAC, until they cracked and admitted that they had been getting PR training.

When I saw her name trending today I expected more of the same. Nope. Seems instead that she came across terribly yesterday, shouting over witnesses, asking questions that had already been asked and answered and generally grandstanding

It's really remarkable. I've looked at about 50 tweets and every single one is critical of her performance. That's some turnaround!

I think the minister can only have lost some confidence in the chair. Ni Raghaillaigh because of the way she handled the dismissal of the DG. But nothing else in this mess seems to be due to her negligence.

I thing more questions should have been asked by the commercial director when she was told/asked to put these invoices through the barter account. However , if she was unaware of the 'deal with NKM' then it might fall into the category of carelessness .

The people at fault here, from the evidence we have. is the DG, NMK and RT. The DG has already been dismissed/resigned. RT is apparently out of contract. And it is hard to see what sanction can be brought against NKM.

I believe, having watched both committees , that the CFO has paused to reflect before answering any question and that 'style' has not been appreciate by the politicians, particularly by PAC. But i think PAC members need to ride above any issues of personality and do their job, which is to elicit what happened. For instance, it is still unclear to me why RTE would ever get involved in this sort of arrangement. All they had to do was say to RT, 'You are free to earn any extra moneys that don't interfere with your work for us' and let him and his agent try to do a deal with Renault or anyone else. Why RTE felt the need to involve themselves is a mystery so far.

It is also now clear that the information that these invoices were problematic came to light a week before RT gave up the LLS. No one has been questioned as to who knew there was an issue or if RT found out. It is a very strange co-incidence but no one thought to pursue this wuestioning.

I don't like the mix of commercial and public sector that RTE has become. I think that perhaps a wall need to be built around the commercial division and the rest of the organisation. But, I fully expect the commercial division to operate as it does in other media organisations and that includes all the special events and wining and dining. I don't like it and I would prefer RTE did not do it but the alternative is probably a doubling of the licence fee.

(As an aside, I don't believe that these stars are anywhere near as valuable as they , and RTE, think they are. I listen to daytime radio regularly enough. I listened to PK, SOR, and now CB. To be I would llisten if the presenter was unknown because it is a current affairs program and I am interested. The idea that I, and other listeners, would dessert the radio if RTE didn't pay these exorbitant salaries is not based on any evidence I have ever seen. )

that the CFO has paused to reflect before answering any question and that 'style' has not been appreciate by the politicians, particularly by PAC. 

You don't think that his several admissions of missing the relevance of stuff and his regret at not asking questions or his feeling that the taxpayer was defrauded are grounds for him to consider his position or for dismissal?

It is also now clear that the information that these invoices were problematic came to light a week before RT gave up the LLS. No one has been questioned as to who knew there was an issue or if RT found out. It is a very strange co-incidence but no one thought to pursue this wuestioning.

The acting DG (not for the first time) had to correct the record and admit that it was possible somebody tipped RT off.

And how much more do you need to know about a Director Of Commercial not asking question about dubious invoices which may bring about the involvement of the Gardai?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm just back from France and am just catching up on the news over the past day or so.

Do we know where the money in the slush fund came from or who controlled the account & how long it has been in existence?

From deals done with advertisers.

Who controlled it. They are saying Dee Forbes.

Been in existence for a while, which is why PAC are bringing in Moya Doherty and another past chairperson.

• Advertisement

@FrancieBrady "his feeling that the taxpayer was defrauded"

Francie, did you see , or listen to , the actual exchange. Because , although some politicians have reported it that way, this is very much not what was said. If you haven't seen the actual exchange I can give you verbatim what was said as I have it recorded(although it will take me time to extract the relevant section). As far as I can see, the Oireachtas has not posted the transcript of the meeting yet.( in contrast to the Art media meeting on Wednesday which was posted on the Oireachtas website, but has now disappeared, as far as i can see)

@Seth Brundle "Do we know where the money in the slush fund came from or who controlled the account & how long it has been in existence?"

The transaction went through a 'barter' account. I have never heard of such an account but apparently it is common in media and advertising. The previous commercial director stated it was in existence before his time ( 2014). So a long standing arrangement. And evidence that various media companies also operate such accounts.

The Current CFO was unhappy with this barter account and so brought it under main financial control. Without his action we would not know about the issue at all because it wouldn't have be caught in the audit.

He was put back over the comment and clarified that in his opinion the taxpayer was defrauded. He was asked if he would go to the garda and he said he would have to take advice on that. Here's a transcript of the original exchange

Richard Collins testified at the Public Accounts Committee’s hearing into the broadcaster’s hidden payments to Ryan Tubridy and was questioned by Fine Gael’s Alan Dillon. 

“[What is] raising invoices for something knowing that it’s not what it is?” Deputy Dillon asked Mr Collins. 

“Well, it’s concealment and deception,” he replied. 

“Would you not determine that to be fraud, wrongfully known?” Deputy Dillon asked. 

“It depends who the fraud is against,” Mr Collins said. 

“If anyone has lost out; my own opinion is, maybe the taxpayer was defrauded.” 

RTÉ 'maybe defrauded' public - RTÉ Chief Financial Officer | Newstalk

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

I assume you do know, having posted this text, that you know it is not a full account of what was said?

For some reason PAC have not the transcripts or videos from both sessions up yet but do have the horseracing one up (anyone know why that is?)and I cannot find a video.

But here he is being put back over it and he says again 'In my opinion, you could look at it as that (fraud)'.

@FrancieBrady , i really want to restrict my comments to the political aspects of these deliberations and in particular to my comment in post #1844

" But, I think one thing is clear from the PAC session yesterday, and that is the the electorate were very wise in not giving politicians additional powers in these committees.

The behaviour of some of the members of the committee coupled with their lack on understanding of some of the answers given, makes many of them wholly unsuitable to such an inquisitorial role. Between personal attacks on the CFO asking for resignation of the Acting DG and telling the chair that she would be sacked if the questioner was the line manager, this meeting had all the hall marks of a kangaroo court and non of a fact finding exercise."

The exchange with the CFO and Allan Dillon you posted and the follow up with John Brady perfectly illustrate my point.

Here is the exchange with AD and CFO

Deputy Alan Dillon "The chair of the board outlined in her initial statement that there were deceitful practices in play here. Would Mr. Collins agree with that? "

Mr. Richard Collins "I would, yes."

Deputy Alan Dillon "Would "Prime Time Investigates" call it fraud? Would Mr. Collins agree?"

Mr. Richard Collins "(Well I think that ..) We have had legal advice to say that it is not fraud."

Deputy Alan Dillon "In what context?"

Mr. Richard Collins "It has been looked at as part of the Grant Thornton review. Arthur Cox has looked at this and given advice, or given an opinion, and there is not fraud involved here. "

Deputy Alan Dillon "Raising invoices for something knowing that it is not what it is-----"

Mr. Richard Collins "It is concealment and deception."

Then , when pushed further on the 'fraud question'

Deputy Alan Dillon "Would Mr. Collins not determine that - wrongfully knowing - to be fraud ?"

Mr. Richard Collins "It depends on who the fraud is against and whether anyone has lost out. (You could say that, ) My own opinion is that maybe the taxpayer was defrauded, but-----"

So only after explaining that it was not fraud, and they had legal opinion that it wasn't did Mr Collins use tow words in relation to the general taxpayer.

However , much later in the proceedings, Mr John brady, in the clip you posted puts an entirely different spin on this , saying that Mr .Collins had made a bold statement and should report to the Guards.

Deputy John Brady "Okay. Mr. Collins stated that the taxpayer was defrauded, so that is a very serious-----"

Mr. Richard Collins "I said that in my opinion you could look at it that way."

Deputy John Brady "Okay, in his opinion. Has Mr. Collins spoken to An Garda Síochána and made a statement about that?"

Mr. Richard Collins "No, I have not."

Deputy John Brady "Does Mr. Collins intend on making a statement to the Garda? Defrauding is a serious offence. It is unlawful, and that is a statement that Mr. Collins has made. On that basis, will he speak to the Garda?"

Mr. Richard Collins "I would have to take advice on that."

Deputy John Brady "I think Mr. Collins should because he made a very bold statement."

It is as clear as daylight, as explained my Mr Collins, that advice is that no fraud occurred . Yet these two TDs insisted in trying to put that statement into the mouth of Mr. Collins. I hope @FrancieBrady that you would agree with me that that is one reason why our politicians should never be trusted with interrogation of witnesses under any powers of compellability. And i have said nothing about the treatment of the same witness by the Chair near the beginning of the session regarding his pay, or about Mr Alan Kelly suggesting that the chair would be sacked if he were minister.

I don't want to expand on the controversy in RTE. I fully agree that what has happened was wrong and that public confidence needs to be restored. There is a separate thread on that. But, in so far as we can trust our politicians, i can say, having watched the PAC ( I think the tome of the Tourism, art media committee was very different) that I would , as a matter of principle, refuse to go before such a committee to answer questions. I have no doubt Mr Tubridy, Mr. Kelly and Ms. Forbes will make the same decision.

The auditors are not the oracle here Rock nor the legal advice.

We still don't know if the Gardai will look at this and it is THEY, not a legal team or auditors who will decide if there is a case to answer.

Collins was wrong and the legal team were wrong if they based their opinion on 'nobody had lost out'.

The taxpayer lost out on revenue that otherwise would have gone to RTE. And they lost out to dodgy invoicing and concealment.

I think PAC made Collins suddenly aware of whose money he was dealing with and whose money was paying him. The utter shock on his face at times when he realised that will be long remembered. And that was a good thing.

I think PAC did a sterling job of reminding these particular people and others who are responsible for spending the taxpayers money that they are not above being called to account.

I accept there was some grandstanding but the vast majority was good targeted questioning that got to some of the truth. More to come hopefully.

@FrancieBrady "I think PAC did a sterling job"

And I respect your view. I will keep fast to mine, that the behaviour of the PAC re-enforces the view that the electorate were correct to reject the amendment ( ?? thirtieth ) to give more powers to Oireachtas committees. This particular interaction with the CFO and Dillon/Brady was not the only matter of concern with the behaviour of PAC.

Their remit is to hold to account.

That has always meant robust questioning and as one of them said, this was probably one of the most exceptional sessions they have had.

As so spake the mob - off with their heads.

The PAC's remit is to hold to account, on the basis of forensic examination of accounts. It should be the most boring committee in the Dail, if they are doing their job properly. Unfortunately, if gives shysters the ability to play to the gallery and the mob, we end up not getting to the bottom of anything, but some people think they are doing a great job. I weep in despair at such attitudes.

They have abundantly demonstrated in the first round of questioning that RTE are not telling the whole truth and are either lying or not able/competent enough to tell the truth about what happened with the accounts.

They have proceeded to take that out of their hands and demanded the relevant accounts for further examination.

Performing their duties here admirably.

• Advertisement

Eh, we knew that from the audit. The PAC didn't advance our understanding in any way beyond the information in the accounts, all it served was as a witchhunt from grandstanders.

Rubbish, we had no idea the extent to which the Executive and Board were asleep at the wheel of a body PAC has oversight of.

We still don't know how far back the snoozing went - hence the next session.

I didn't think the PAC did originally have oversight of RTE. Did they not have to pass a resolution in Dail to allow them invite RTE.

I think most of the information gleaned from RTE was done so by the Tourism, Culture etc. committee. The dates when RTE executives knew there was a problem, the sacking of Dee Forbes, The barter account. I am not too sure that PAC advanced our knowledge significantly.

Would it not be better for PAC to take a step back and let the Tourism, Culture etc committee continue with their work?

We found out that Tubridy's deal was possibly fraud and that the CFO didn't think this warranted any questions or scrutiny, ditto the Head of Commercial.

We found out the spending from this account on freebies and treats, and that plenty seemed to know about this account when it came to those freebies and treats for themselves.

We found out that historical chairpersons were asleep at the wheel and were totally oblivious to Tubridy's deal even though one of them Moya Doherty sat on the Renumeration Committee which sanctions the 'talent's' deals.

We found out the extent to which Noel Kelly was making decisions and influencing RTE.

There's more but I think it was more than justified by finding out the above.

@FrancieBrady I won't get into a back and fourth but--

"We found out that historical chairpersons were asleep at the wheel and were totally oblivious to Tubridy's deal even though one of them Moya Doherty sat on the Renumeration Committee which sanctions the 'talent's' deals."

We seemed to hear conflicting evidencve around this committee. Unless I totally misheard, I thought originally that the committee was told this Remuneration committee had no role in 'talent' pay. Then we were told it had ( and in fact Kielty's pay had to go to it even though it was already agreed and signed off on). I would like to know exactly what role it had and I have just misheard the explanations .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think now is the time to review RTE funding and perhaps change the whole TV licence system altogether.

1. Remove the whole 'sponsor' idea for programmes. What does that even mean?
    2. Replace the TV licence fee with a 'household media' charge levied on all ESB Networks connection for addresses that have a property tax liability. It should be less than the current fee - say €12 per month. This would balance the level of evasion and avoidance. A broadband connection fee of €2 per month would be enough to give the extra funding lost by the reduction already suggested.
    3. All RTE staff and contractors should have a cap on pay, based on public service pay scales. Any earnings outside of RTE should be sanctioned by RTE.
    4. Strict rules should apply to 'freebies' for both staff and clients. In other words, no slush funds.

Most of these suggestions are reminiscent of the malaise that the politicians allowed to exist in their own sphere, and has generally been cleaned up, but their house is hardly pristine.

RTE is very valuable, and the RTE reporting has been excellent - one would not think it was their own TV station and their own colleague they were talking about. However, the politicians are wallowing in the opportunities for grandstanding.

It's a part of their remit to:

c) Consulting with the Director-General in relation to “top talent” contractor contracts

Memo (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Oh the irony of this.

Politician calls for a register of outside interests for rte stars.

Hopefully they wouldn't just use their spouses as a proxy...

https://extra.ie/2023/07/04/news/irish-news/register-of-outside-interests-rte-stars

According to The Currency Moya Doherty didn’t attend the Renumeration Committee meetings for 4 years.

I wonder who appointed her to the board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Indo is publishing about more slush accounts, including payments to RTE stars who get paid on the double. And it further quotes as follows: 'Fiann Fáil TD Jennifer Murnane O’Connor said a woman on an old age pension had told her that “we all struggle to pay our TV licences. As a granny I find it very hard when I hear these stories”.

However, someone, including the FF TD, did not know that old age pensioners get a free TV licence.

Oh how the fake news spreads.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/review-of-rte-finances-finds-more-barter-accounts/a811047109.html

Advertisement