Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

There was no lock on my door, most of what i need is a few mins away, had a phone for talking to whoever i was bothered. Spent many mornings rolling over, watching box sets, and having a jolly good time. Others might have had a bad lockdown, but i didnt.

If the rules were over the top im fine with that, hindsight is 50/50 and we were dealing with a potential modern black death, or a bio weapon. 100% appropriate response.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

While I understand and perhaps even agree with what you are saying there are potential drawbacks too

I'd be willing to bet it would be no more level a playing field if the authorities/admin had complete data/control over financial transactions

The drug barons would still be drug barons, the white-collar criminals would still be white-collar criminals, the hucksters and fraudsters would still find a way to continue scamming, tax cheats would still cheat and welfare defrauders would still earn on the side....

Part of me wonders if they only people it will control more are the already compliant ones and making it even harder to move upwards in society if you start from a less privileged level.....guarantee you the privileged will be able to game the system in a cashless society...**** sake it will probably be legal...

To make 100% cashless work you would have to ensure upwards mobility is more possible than in a cash based one and the majority would have to believe that or else I believe it could lead to even more inequality not level the playing field at all.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If you have nothing to hide it shouldn’t be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If you were applying for a mortgage you wouldn't be able to have a flutter on paddy.

Completey cashless society is unnecessary and I rarely use cash myself. But I'm nearly 40, own my own home and have a very financially comfortable existence.

It's lazy to make such a blanket statement imo.

• Advertisement

How has inequality got anything to do with it unless you’re suggesting it discriminates against poor in society because everything is now above board.

it’s the same money…99.9% of money is already cashless it’s just Dr/cr’s

So you do have something you want to hide…. A occasional bet isn’t going to stop you from getting a mortgage if that’s all it is and not a chronic gambling habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

If banks had a bit more information to make better decisions on handing out money to people trying to hoodwink them so they can just gamble the money away we might get fewer mortgage defaults, fewer banks abandoning the Irish market and better rates for honest people.

You're either very young or very naive if you think life is that black and white.

• Advertisement

Stick to facts instead of attacking the poster….

yeah you leave a trail so what… yeah there are lots of things people don’t want to leave a money trail for….most are either illegal or it’s something that you are ashamed of and think people will look down on you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

That's exactly what I'm saying cashless might do...I wouldn't necessarily say it could possibly discriminate against just the poor either..the working poor etc

Listen I'd love if a cashless society weeded out criminals/bad actors as is often cited as a benefit but tbh I don't believe it will...it might make the current scumbag model in the various spheres of scumbaggery more difficult to operate but they will just adapt to the new constraints via trial and error or using the grey matter if they are a bit more sophisticated...so I don't necessarily see that as a benefit or more accurately a long lasting one

But in the case of generally law abiding Joe 40k who does the odd bit of work on the side, bends a couple of rules to provide for the family...if avenues like that get closed off then he is at a disadvantage compared to the better off with the kind of earnings that can afford the kind of tax advice that allows them to shelter income legally etc...

Now on the other hand if there's no cash it might force people to barter and do favours/jobs for one another so might help strengthen a community as you cant get paid under the counter and have to develop a bit more of a hive and take relationship with the people you barter/trade with?.....The state gets zero direct tax revenue from that though as money isn't spent on goods or services like it would be down the line from current cash under the counter nixers

It is imo definitely more complex than cashless society being a 100% good thing or even just better than the current arrangement for definite....it could be better but I guarantee you it's not going to be better in controlling or reducing fraud, scams financial crimes, tax dodging and scumbaggery in the long run either....they always find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Coming from an extremely complaint citizen - I would hate to see currency go fully digital or cashless. What happens god for bid a cyber security attack happens on major data centers or sub sea internet cables are taken out - how do these cashless internet based systems work then.

Was at a café a few weeks ago when the lightening storms were in action, electricity went and the only people able to pay were the people with cash.

I don't buy it - we will always need cash as a legal tender, a full digital cashless society is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm not attacking you, if I was I'd have called you stupid.

Instead I opted to blame youth or naivety. Thinking cashless societies would bring an end to crime is rediculous.

Most large scale crime is perpetrated electronically as is.

That risk already exists….all your money in a bank is cashless. It’s just a Dr/cr.

Did I ever say it would stop crime or are you just assuming that.

Of course it will still go on just as it does today within the banking system but it makes it more difficult

And what if geopolitical tensions rise and energy security tensions rise further (very likely) - more people would end up holding more cash out of fear in order to be able to pay for the everyday essentials like food in the event of something happening. Take cash away society is in an extremely precarious state - we always will need 2 payment options, way too risky otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

Christine talked about it when she got pranked by those couple of Russians. Anyone who would allow these clowns to be in some sort of control of your money needs their head looking at.

From 14.20

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Am I reading this correctly you think it’s ok for people to work for cash in hand and claim dole while everyone else pays for it?

And by stopping this it discriminates against the poorer in society.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

paranoid comments about cashless are amusing yet the same people are happy with assigning value to a pretty meaningless piece of paper, but yet they get upset about assigning value to 1's and 0's.

Surely you should be looking for our society to use sea shells or bartering for every day things as anything else is too risky otherwise. 🤣

• Advertisement

I've no idea how to quote multiple posts but your OP essentially said as much. Claiming it's the only way people can hide and use ill gotten gains.

Which is ridiculously wrong and really would only stunt a certain aspect of small time crime and I've no doubt if cash was actually removed from circulation those affected areas of criminality would adapt.

Majority have people having their savings in a bank which is not in the form of notes and coins. 99.9% of cash/money is already held electronically and not in the form of notes and coins.

Maybe read my post again before you put words in my mouth.

I stated that the only people with something to hide are afraid of a cashless society…..

nowhere did I say that cash is the only place to hide I’ll gotten gains as that would be stupid and mean that all those people laundering money are out of a job…

Even your clear statement of the something to hide cohort is rediculous and borderline stupid.

Older people fear cashless and it has nothing to do with trying to hide anything.

As I said originally your statement is lazy at best, stupid at worst.

I never disputed that, I'm simply raising the question in terms of transaction - if something happens to the internet/online payments system at least we can fall back on cash as a form of transaction, take this away entirely we end up with no plan B.

If 99.9% is digital, well then what's the problem with keeping the 0.1% cash? Doesn't seem like a whole big deal in keeping with the status quo then

Look your entitled to your opinion, I categorically disagree with it and nothing will ever change my opinion regarding going cashless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

As a private citizen, I am entitled to go about my day, making purchases as I see fit, without surveillance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dmattmc

This is the same argument people used to use when internet surveillance laws were being introduced in America. The point is that things like all encompassing surveillance and a cashless society are fine and have many benefits when being controlled by a government that are generally trusted by the people to have their best interests at heart. Somewhere like the US unfortunately that trust is completely eroded, government agencies there have been proven to act against the interests of the public in favour of corporations, which is why there's huge resistance there to these ideas. We have to consider that these systems could be used to limit our civil liberties if the wrong people got a hold of them, for instance if there was a coup and a government was overthrown. To be clear I'm not suggesting that could happen realistically in Ireland but it could elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Cashless is worse because every time you pay by card visa or MasterCard are taking a wee % here and there of all your transactions.

Cash does not have this issue - aside from government taxes in consumption (VAT etc), cash can support a truly circular economy. Debit/credit cards do not, because you pay extra (technically seller pays) on each transaction.

Cashless is great for big money, don't get me wrong. Even back in the pre digital era cashless was a thing - bank deposits were not all held in paper money, but for the low level day to day cash is invaluable.

Also good luck paying a plumber/tiler/painter by card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There are many purchases and uses of money that are illegal. Likewise, if you are using a service like a bank, they have a responsibility for your activity, e.g. they can be held responsible if you are engaging in illicit activity, therefore they are obliged and required to monitor their clients.

Advertisement