Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Anyone have fields scored yet, I believe the training was meant to be completed and inspections to start from this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Not a thing. A lot of good their timing is- I’ve walked the place- had an abundance of cuckoo flowers, ox eye daisies and ragged robins. All has turned to seed and hard to find now. My only hope is I’ve plenty of heather etc.

I’ve harvested about 300g of oxeye daisy seeds to try throw out in autumn or spring.

it’s a sickener when you saw what was there a month ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Mine were scored a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

I'm not in ACRES but I met my advisor the other evening and he said he has been scoring fields for the last 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I suppose with hindsight you could have taken photos of the flowers with your phone or maybe the advisors will not score the fields until next year.

I did take some and have videos taken but doesn’t show the extent of what I had. I don’t spread any fertiliser or slurry up there and have topped and licked according to the guidelines I’m most of the place,

I texted my ag advisor today to see when he will be about.

I have a massive abundance of the branched moss with lichen and heather too.

I’ve a 5 acre field over grown with ragwort, 3 days pulling and still not a dent, I’d love to just bale it up and take out the bales and dump and expose the moss and target the ragwort Next spring with “spot spraying”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

I don’t think you can. The photos need to be taken on the app they are using for scoring and geo tagged I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

Well that's not the farmers fault......therefore by the principles of natural justice they shouldn't be penalised.......riiight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

😂 genius, I can't see them objecting to that at all!

Stand out in the middle of the field, hand your planner your phone with the below pic on it and tell him...

GEOTAG THIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

You can take a photo of a photo... But the acres man has to be in the field as he has to use an acres app on his phone which will turn green once he is in the correct acres plot.... Well that was case for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭irishguy19772

Got it done today. They seem to be out the last few weeks anyway according to advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭irishguy19772

Not me anywaye. A rough idea of how I did was what was communicated.

And how did you do?....is it marked out of 10?

I had the planner out to score the fields....not enough in it...so wont be getting paid for LIG...

Some joke of a scheme....how was I supposed to know what kind of flowers grew in the field back in November......my fields are full of white clover and buttercups....i have alot of thistles also....loads bees flying around...

All negative scoring...

Ill be getting alot less from ACRES than GLAS...well done DAFM👏🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I do not know why planners ( well I do its worth more to them) put farmers in for the scored LIG.

Planner should have been able to identify the positive indicator species. TBF my Teagas planner could. Even though they were present because I had only 2HA he put me in for the unscored grassland@ 250/HA

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

To be fair, my advisor steered me strongly from the scoring type option. I did the 2 ha near a stream with the 10 trees, even though I had to lose in on my organic payment. Also the trees and hedging along boundaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Was the much to removing the area from your organic payment or does that happen automatically?

TBH, not sure. I presume the planner submitted an altered BISS or maybe not. Since all overlaps are now viewed automatically by the eye in the sky.

The 2ha was removed as it would be a double payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I haven't been inspected yet. As you say cukoo flowers etc are long gone. Like you ,mine was flourishing a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Sami23

I'm just hoping to get the bottom score for LIG and get the 250 per ha.

It’s called a cuckoo flower for a reason, flowers around the same time as the cuckoo appears. The book definitely has the wrong flowering season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah, I still haven't been scored yet, am in a CP zone so had no choice with different actions. Being organic too means I have to score 8 or higher, I'm not overly confident I must say. Supposed to get scored this week at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

I'm in a CP zone too, just had my scoring done, not organic on paper but not far off it in reality. I had resided to the fact I'd get nothing from this part of the scheme, but low and behold I've gotten a score of 7. Never thought to ask the planner what it's worth and looking on line there is 3 different levels of payment depending on your situation. Am.i.right in saying it's a 250e per ha payment in the CP zone for a score of 7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭endainoz

You could be right, I also had my scoring done yesterday. Luckily mostly 8s and one 9, one 7 and one 0 (!) In fairness the zero was a terribly rough place that hadn't been touched with beast or machinery in a long time so it didn't surprise me.

In fairness most fields will have the species or plant needed to get a higher score. What brings the score down is stuff like abundance of thistles or ragwort, if a field has more than 5% it will negatively impact the score.

The real kicker that will probably affect people as it affected me, is that a farmer will get penalized for using boundary fences instead of stone walls or hedgeing. Yes you heard that right. To be a bit more technical, a stone wall or hedge will give you marks, where as a regular fence won't. So it will always keep your fields from getting a full 10/10.

Being in a CP area, what I'm looking forward to is the list of actions I can take to improve the farm, such as fencing and scrub cleaning. Will definitely be getting a good bit of fencing done each year so the place will be improved at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone in acres cooperation here anything about actions yet?

Advertisement