Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Given barter accounts appear to be common particularly in the Irish media, you'd wonder how many are based abroad and what the tax implications are.

This could be the next part of the scandal.

If you deliver a service for a fee, you must pay tax on that fee and must declare everything to the taxman and have it transparent in accounts, ie the true nature and value of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

My answer with the word “yes” was in response to the first question you asked in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

Another good example of RTE gone off the rails - discussing frivelous subjects.

Be it Miriam o Call, Joe D, Ray D, et al, if you discard such questions /comments as -

and how did you feel

; and how are you now ,

was it dark when it happened,

; you must have been very frightened

,; and how did you react when it happened

; and what colour was it;

you must have been wery upset, RIGHT;

, back in the day

; come er to me;

have a lovely, lovely, lovely, lovely day

when did you find out

a d how areyou now after ALL that

what did the neighbours think. Did you talk to anyone about it

and what did they say

you must be exhausted , RIGHT

the interviews are almost over and little or no time for MORE SEARCHING QUESTIONS. As I say , cheap radio and little or no time needed to prepare for your typical interview once you have that sheet with all the above questions in front of you. Tick the boxes/ cherry picking come to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Playback tomorrow morning on Radio 1 should be a hoot. 9am to 10am.

I agree that there is very very little chance of RT coming back to Radio 1.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

If one reads Butters posts back along you will get a good insight of his background , etc. What he is saying about himself is true, at least as per his posts

Anyone know why The Funny Friday element of the Joe D element was taken off the air?

No DG would sack RT.

History shows this simply is not an option

Gay Byrne nearly got sacked on the bequest of Todd Andrews.

Andrews at this stage chairman of the RTE authority rang the DG and requested him to fire “that fûcker Byrne”

Source: Wikipedia

thankfully the DG did not fire Mr Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The average IS even larger because those numbers HAVE BEEN taken out of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

To be fair to him, Tubridy is getting a bit of a rough deal out of this, his career is probably in ruins out of nowhere, but it's his own doing.

You generally only have one chance to come clean when you get rumbled and unfortunately he absolutely butchered that chance with his first statement. Him and NKM basically went all in on the "nothing to do with me" strategy to try and front it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭backwards_man

Were there any clients on the trip or was it all RTE staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I can't remember Duffy's exact words but it was something to the effect of 'given all that's going on it's cancelled'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why has Radio1 got so many presenters on for an hour or not much more for extraordinary salaries.

No need to ask questions - just a written note to DF to say that his salary is incorrectly reported. As they say ‘fixed that’

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Thanks to various posters for the continual information you posted during the week. It certainly helped to inform this poster about what was happening and the relevance of same. One question which intrigues me and apologies if it has been answered previously. I know that RTE operated a special 'barter account' to for specific transaction. Is there a 'normal' bank account associated with the barter account that can be tracked or or if not how does it operate. Thanks in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Tubs suffers from a common affliction of many working in a similar role in media today. Laziness. The old guard actually had a bit of pride in their job performance and still do. Whatever people say about Pat Kenny, no one can accuse him of not preparing for interviews. The man reads the books, devours current affairs coverage in his own time and is just a curious, engaged person.

Same can be said of Eamon Dunphy. His podcast I think is a phenomenal service to Irish journalism and it's incredible to think that were this 20 years ago, Dunphy would probably be long retired and silent. He should have and should have had, a prime slot on Radio 1 doing a similar job for years. But of course, as we have seen with RTE over the last 10-20 years, and in sharp focus this week, the state broadcaster isn't interested in raw ability. It's interested in mediocrity that nods along and doesn't rock the boat. And it pays handsomely for it. The business model under Forbes wasnt to attract the best people and grow revenues by moving with the times and demographics. The model was pay your pals well, go on jollies and whine to government for more money.

TBF, this whole phenomenon isn't specific to RTE. There's a general collapse in standards in all manner of things. It's a generational thing imo. The Gay Byrne's, Wogan's, Parkinson's grew up in a different world where rigor in journalism was important and valued. It's not as much today. So many are stealing a living. The cult of personality now trumps all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You need to move quick for the optics alright. Patrick Kielty was really shrewd on this stating what he is being paid.

Plus even adding in that he is paying for his own flights expenses even though he was entitled to claim them. That was shrewd PR.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree to a point. He didn't actually do anything "wrong", he'd have no idea how RTE were managing their invoices, and it seems the extra payments were made from RTE to NK and then to Tubridy, so it would be NK who knew the invoices were worded in such a way to avoid noting the money was for Tubridy, and it would have been NK who likely did most of the legwork in negotiating the contract with RTE. And as we've seen with regards the barter account, the issue is bigger than just Tubridy's contract.

But, Tubridy knew he was getting extra money, and the reason he was getting extra money was because the other RTE presenters, most of whom also represented by NK, just took the paycut and didn't look for extras. Presuming all of this only relates to Tubridy's contract, it makes it fairly clear that Tubridy was looking for extra money or he wouldn't sign a new contract.

The responsibility for calling his bluff, pointing out everyone was taking a paycut etc, falls on RTE. They should have held firm instead of helping to burn RTE down to give Tubridy & NK shady extra payments.

It was a terrible move and damaging statement. It came across as completely arrogant and aloof and subsequently dishonest. A rushed move is often a bad move. He should have let it play out a little more. I think he will always regret it. He's a bit of an idiot and would have been caught out eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

No.

The onus is on RTE to report the correct salaries. Not RT

I think the barter account is one dedicated account (with its own IBAN).

It was the most honest move he’s ever made , everything else is fake , true colours and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What 'onus' exactly?

Morally and professionally there is an onus on Tubridy. And on RTE from a state reporting aspect.

Especially given his position where he is a commentator on current affairs and the publication of his salary is a media story every year.

Otherwise, as has happened, he has been found out lying to colleagues about solidarity pay cuts.

It is clear this is the view of the majority of the public, based on how this is playing out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

How dare you call them mere presenters!!

They are "the talent" and we pay them for being full of talent in the other 163 hours of the week.

The big joke in the radio thread that was obviously fact, was rt rocks into his desk at 8:59 and reads what’s in front of him , this was really obvious over the last few years

isnt it on record that his research team is quite large ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I can’t believe that Noel Kelly was allowed to get as much power. Years ago in my innocence I never knew of Kelly or paid heed to him.

But boards posters pointed out the amount of RTE people he represented then.

All I could think of was all the problems/conflict of interest and above all lack of competition in the market. I wondered why it had not blown up before. But finally it has now.

Personally I think it is crucial that legislation is brought in to regulate the agents of media personalities to prevent such anti-competitive dominance in future.

It is at the nub of this whole situation.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Because no one could tolerate them for longer than that???

Sorry couldn't resist :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I’d have to agree the onus is on rte , but tubs should have known and challenged them, however that would be forbidden by Noel kelly I’d imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

I wouldn't be surprised if the first statement RT made was entirely his own work, but the second was prompted by an emergency DEFCON 1 text from NKM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement