Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The reality is that science doesn't define gender, society does. Science defines biological sex but accepts the social construct as regrds the definition of gender. If that weren't the case, there'd be no such thing as transgender or reassigning gender; and clearly there is - people do it every day.

The "reality" you claim is that gender and biological sex are the same thing - they aren't.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

That definition works if you only believe there are male and female genders, however we are told, (by Regina of the 9 genders) amongst others, that there is a wide spectrum of genders. So it can't just be based on masculinity/femininity.

I said it's based on characteristics of masclinity and femininity. There is a wide spectrum of people who base their gender on said characteristics.

You need to stop listening to Regina, whoever she/he/they are/is.

What you're kind of saying is that everything is red or blue, there's no such things pink, purple, indigo or violet, lilac, lavender and so on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I'm sure the recent Nashville shooter had the same line of thought as that simpletons tweet. And that's the problem right there - the trans community has an absolutely toxic support base who think nothing of bullying and threatening people outside of it to accept down is up and up is down.

Did you not read Wikipedia link I kindly sent you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Advertisement

I replied to the second one - didn't see the first one - but it's something I'd be inclined to agree with the posters on: there is an extremist element that , for some reason, posters like Tiktok and I kill you scum seem to follow. The problem there is, it's confirmation bias: they only pay attention to these morons because it justifies their own pre-set biases. The moderates will have more logical and respectful viewepoints that the posters can't debate with, so they don't follow or engage with them.

Someone said earlier that the trans community has an element of followers that are absolutely toxic - and they were dead right - but it's like as if was to following only nazis on Twitter and then try and claim that all conservatives were the same.

The firsat pragraph is a definition - did you not bother reading it ??!

Furhermore:

The state of being male or female as expressed by social or cultural distinctions and differences, rather than biological ones; the collective attributes or traits associated with a particular sex, or determined as a result of one's sex. Also: a (male or female) group characterized in this way.

the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

Gender refers to the characteristics of women, men, girls and boys that are socially constructed.

There ya go - two dictionaries and the World Health Organiation.

Can we move on now, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I should have clarified that I meant a response from the user that they had initially replied to.

I agree with everything you say though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd agree with everything PCB said. Yes there probably are a minority of people who think misgendering is violence or inciting violence. It is very weird that posters are overtly aware of that as PCB pointed out. I don't think the notion that misgendering could be prosecuted as incitement to hatred can be taken seriously.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

In reality it’s not even a molehill 🙄

Your question remains because you’re choosing to ignore the definition that’s provided in the bill, which is the only one that matters in the context of legislation that is passed. That’s why I made the point that you don’t have to stress over the definition of gender as only one of the protected characteristics, and you can easily avoid falling foul of the legislation by acknowledging that other people have an equal right to be protected from prejudice and discrimination as you do!

This particular legislation in any case isn’t an example of a law based on a feeling, it’s based on an objective standard that’s defined in the bill, same as the rest of the protected characteristics defined in the bill, none of which are any more or less important than each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Uncharted2

I've read through this disgraceful legislation and it's designed to destroy free speech, no mistake about it. It’s not about protecting vulnerable minorities or any of the other alleged justifications, its about exerting control over the entire population’s ability or right to question the government or ministers actions, which for some people may seem like a stretch or ridiculous, but all you have to do is look at how anyone objecting to anything the government does, is immediately pigeon holed as 'far right' loony left or whatever designation can be used to smear or undermine their objections.

Not only that, even if you agree with the silencing of those currently raising objections or dissent, don’t forget that things can change and in the future the very same legislation could be used against you too.

I'm wondering if your thread spamming counts

its about exerting control over the entire population’s ability or right to question the government or ministers actions

Which part of the legislation does this?

Post edited by suvigirl on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I've read through this disgraceful legislation and it's designed to destroy free speech, no mistake about it

Which parts? Quote them please

I really can't see how this legislation is "about exerting control over the.... ability to question the government or ministers actions"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

How about gender and it's absolute ambiguous, definitionless existence

Thank you for highlighting the discrimination in the bill once again

A _protected characteristic_ by definition is not universal hence the bias and discriminatory practice

You might want to familiarise yourself with the recent supreme court decision for what constitutes racism hidden behind the guise of protection

The American Supreme Court decision? Not really relevant in Ireland with very different laws.

Terry Pratchet

"But it does list other characteristics which are analogous to race or sex."

"Such as?"

"Gender!"

You're even vaguer than the bill, at this stage.

---

You started off by saying there was a hierarchy, and then went from one group to another without addressing the key point that no specfic group has been references. Race is not a specific group - it's a collection of groups. Sex is not a specific group. Gender is not a specific group.

Last chance - what specific race, sex or gender has been referenced in the bill, thus creating a hierarchy, and in what section of the bill?

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sheesh! I dunno whether it’s that you’re steeped in culture wars BS or what it is, but again you’re using the correct decision, wrong application. But by way of returning the favour, I’d suggest you familiarise yourself with US Federal and State Law related to protected characteristics, including but not limited to the following -

• Race
    • Religion/faith
    • Sex
    • National origin or ancestry
    • Disability
    • Genetic information
    • Citizenship
    • Veteran status

They do the same thing differently in the US, and from their perspective, they would say we in Europe do the same thing differently here, and they’d have a fair point. We do, like recent legislation including protection from discrimination in employment related to people who are transgender, and victims of domestic violence -

• The right to request flexible working hours for parents and carers who provide care and support for children and persons who need significant care and support for serious medical reasons
    • Five days of unpaid leave for medical care purposes for carers and parents who meet the above criteria
    • The right to request remote working for any employee
    • The extension of breastfeeding breaks to cover the first two years
    • The right to take maternity leave for transgender men
    • Five days of paid leave for victims of domestic violence

https://www.sage.com/en-ie/blog/work-life-balance-and-miscellaneous-provisions-act/amp/

The bill in this particular context is intended to prohibit discrimination and prejudice against everyone (and there’s where it is universal, if you insist), to protect everyone from discrimination and prejudice based upon the protected characteristics included in this particular piece of legislation.

It’s updating existing legislation which already included the protected characteristic of gender. It’s a separate piece of legislation to the legislation which applies in the context of education or employment. It’s separate legislation from the legislation which recognises people’s right to freedom of expression.

Basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hodger

A public street isn,t a private space like a women,s changing area.

But while on the subject on changing rooms and toilets.

The BBC have reported a young lad has being arrested in Essex after sexual assault in a unisex school toilets.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-66052546

As long as girls and women aren,t allowed to have a private bathrooms in settings like this school for privacy and safety something like this was bound to happen.

I will always be of the view men,s private bathrooms / changing areas and women,s private bathrooms / changing areas .

Don't try and gaslight like that and run away

Address the gender issue

It's just the most influential democracy on the entire planet and far ahead of us in dealing with these issues and ill thought out concepts that legalise discriminatory practices rather than pursue meritocracy

Asian Americans have been systemically discriminated against for near on 30 years but because they are Asian somehow it's ok to fuk them over.

Well it's not, not now, not ever and that applies to all groups not just selected ones

Interesting how you are overly concerned for Asian Americans. In your worldview that means you discriminate against everyone but Asian Americans.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

And if you have separate changing rooms for females and males, is there anything stopping a member of the opposite sex walking into that changing room?

an invisible barrier perhaps? Alarms sounding maybe?

So girls and women need private areas so they can be safe from boys and men is it?

Advertisement