Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Quinn looks a top tier prospect as well. Absolute unit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Future's very bright in the back row indeed.

Gleeson is still a man playing amongst boys at u20, so the key will be how he steps up against fellas his size. But he has a lot more to his game than just the physical stuff. Excellent control at the base of the scrum, and really good hands.

Parisse vibes, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Okeke as well, had tough time with injury earlier in the year and only came back at time of the season where he was never going to get minutes. Hopefully we see a lot of him in the pre season. His stats in his one full senior game against Wasps were insane.

Madigan got a lot of chances within the the Irish set up and it never really worked. Madigan's club career is more akin to JJ Hanrahan than it is to Zebo.

Hanrahan and Madigan have a very similar number of starts and points for their home province, both spent a year with a good French club where they had a decent impact off the bench before dropping down a level. Madigan had a great year in the English second tier but both he and Hanrahan struggled to hold down starting places in the Premiership. When Madigan left the comfort of the Irish set up he was a talented journeyman, very similar to JJ, who had a much less comfortable time within the Irish system.

Zebo by contrast is the all time top try scorer for his province and his time abroad was as a consistent starter for one of the top teams in Europe. Like I said it a laughable comparison.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The intent (I think) was never to compare the ability of Zebo and Madigan, merely that they were both guys who left Ireland knowing what it meant for their test careers and neither one was ever going to force a change in the policy.

Somebody asked why Zebo isn't liked by some people. Coming out after he left and complaining he wasn't being picked for Ireland was cynical, disingenuous and self-serving, so that's why I don't like him tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Beep beep beep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

He had a point when he was still playing for Munster. I think he was unfairly treated for the Six Nations when he was playing for Munster but had signed to move to France the following season.

The counter argument could be that they wanted to blood in another player straight away, but it was the first time I could recall where a player was blacklisted even though he was at a province.

The thing that made it worse was as a fan I wanted him in the team as he would have improved the team, but they decided to move on from him immediately.

Zebo didn’t do himself any favours by tweeting a few times when they performed badly and saying he wasn’t allowed be on the team, even though the point he was making had merit, it came off badly, as posters that didn’t like him put the spin on it that he was mocking the team, rather than making a protest against how Joe Schmidt mishandled the situation.

Zebo's Munster career was certainly better than Madigan's Leinster career (not counting silverware obviously) and his move to Racing was of greater fanfare than Madigan's trip to Bordeaux.

But you are really downplaying Madigan here (intentionally) to try and make a point I'm not arguing against. Firstly, Madigan played 22 times for Bordeaux starting 12 of those games (over half). He then got offered a three year deal by Bristol and was top points scorer in the Championship before they were promoted. Bristol went on a spending spree under new owners and I would imagine Madigan was well rewarded for the risk he took. Referencing Madigan's career decline without similarly referencing Zebo's is also a little bit telling, in 20/21 both had similar starts / benches for Ulster and Racing respectively as Zebo struggled to get game time in a depleted setup (in particular at the business end of the season where he only benched or wasn't picked).

Either way, as I said at the outset I'm not debating this point - we're not discussing their club careers (which are much more comparable than you've tried to make out), we're discussing their impact for Ireland / resilience within the setup and nothing you have written applies to that. Similarly, being top try scorer at Munster is a good indictment of his injury record and ability to finish, but could also be contextualised by Munster failing to produce back 3 talent and Zebo's inability to get regular international call ups.

As for Hanrahan, he had a terrific underage international career but no senior career bar a few emerging Ireland games so am not sure why you thought he was relevant to the discussion. Certainly his career long lack of conditioning was a weakness that he shared with Zebo, but that's where any comparison ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not comparing Madigan to Zebo unless I can only compare where Madigan was equal or better than Zebo otherwise I don't want to play this game anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Lads zebos the 3rd highest try scorer in european cup history any talk of mediocrity is laughable

On okeke od hesrd rumors of him moving to hooker any idea of thats true? Makes sense with the amount of talent we havd coming through at backrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Similarly, being top try scorer at Munster is a good indictment of his injury record and ability to finish,

I presume you didn’t mean “indictment” here?

but could also be contextualised by Munster failing to produce back 3 talent and Zebo's inability to get regular international call ups.

This is, imo, a very negative way to frame things tbh. He’s the record try-scorer on merit.

He was regularly with Ireland squads so I don’t see how his inability is get regular call ups padded his numbers like you see to be suggesting?

And hasn’t been first choice wing since his return.

In any case, I’m genuinely interested if you still believe that there were a good few starts where, if Madigan got injured, you’d be quite concerned?

I’ll presume you don’t include the RWC warm-up v Scotland. Or the AI game v Georgia. Or the Summer Tour game vs USA.

Argentina, yep I can see that. So that leaves Canada and Romania?? I dunno Venjur…

This is, imo, a very negative way to frame things tbh.

Yeah it is, but then look what I was replying to. The point stands though - try scoring record with Munster isn't by itself anything to suggest he was more or less of an international starter and as demonstrated it might actually say more about Munster's back three options than the player himself (an indictment if you will 😉)

In any case, I’m genuinely interested if you still believe that there were a good few starts where, if Madigan got injured, you’d be quite concerned

I feel this has been answered already. Starting Outhalf for Ireland in a world cup quarter final is literally one of the most important positions on the pitch at our exact ceiling of performance. Zebo didn't make the bench for that game.

If Madigan wasn't available for the Romania game you would absolutely be concerned at a tournament level and given we narrowly enough beat Scotland him not starting would be a concern specifically for that match (it wasn't a critical fixture but not sure why you would rule it out?). So yes, quite a few of a his small number of starts would have been impacted by him being ruled out. Certainly - him being ruled out from a significant number of his bench starts would have been similarly concerning. Would you say the same about any of Zebo's starts? If the back three was one position (the same as out half) would Zebo even have been capped?

If Madigan wasn't available for the Romania game you would absolutely be concerned at a tournament level

Quite concerned with Jackson filling in vs Romania? I think it’s fair to say we disagree there.

given we narrowly enough beat Scotland him not starting would be a concern specifically for that match (it wasn't a critical fixture but not sure why you would rule it out?).

Because it was a RWC warm-up game.

Whether it was Jackson or Madigan, or even Keatley, no, I absolutely wouldn’t have been quite concerned about that game. It’s very surprising to me that you would be tbh.

If the back three was one position (the same as out half) would Zebo even have been capped?

Which overlooks that Madigan didn’t just cover 1 position either. Not the same extent as Zebo but I daresay he had his fair share of appearances at 12. There’s a reasonable argument that versatility is what kept him ahead of Jackson on the bench tbh.

I think we'd have beaten Romania without Madigan - but as I said, at a tournament level if we dropped an out half that absolutely would have been an concern, especially with Sexton ruled out during the pool stages for the knock outs. Similarly if we lost to Scotland in a warm up we'd be a lot less confident going into a World Cup. I don't know what about that surprises you - Madigan had 7 starts 3 of which were games we either lost, narrowly won or were world cup pool games. IN any of those circumstances do you want to lose your starting outhalf? Compare that to losing Zebo in any of his starts.

As for Madigan being versatile, at club level maybe - but he only wore 10 or 22 for Ireland. I've no doubt his versatility had value (was it Madigan who was down as third choice 9 going into 2015 RWC?) but in reality his time in green was almost entirely at out half, so it's not really relevant when comparing to someone who covered across the back three and regularly switched position for club and country.

Madigan had started a total of 9 games across the 18/19 and 19/20 Premiership seasons and started 7 games in the 16/17 Top 14 season. The 20/21 season at Ulster wasn't a decline for Madigan, he hadn't consistently been playing at the top level of club rugby for 5 years at that stage. Zebo started more games in the 20/21 season for Racing than Madigan did in his two years in the Premiership.

Also on Munster not producing backline talent, Zebo has more provincial tries than any Leinster player (71) and he did it in fewer games (144) than any of Leinsters top 3 try scorers; Horgan (69 in 203), BOD (61 in 186), Darcy (60 in 257).

Madigan dropped behind Sheedy quite quickly after his first season where he was first choice at Bristol. Zebo lasted one full season longer before drifting out of favour at Racing. And bar one year in the championship, Madigan played Premiership and Top 14 - is top level rugby reserved only for teams in the top half of those leagues or what do you mean by consistently at the top level? Mack Hansen spent most of the league playing for a bottom half club - does that mean he isn't playing top level club rugby?

As for Zebo's tries for Munster as against Leinsters top scorers - you are making my point. Far more back 3 competition at Leinster reduces chances for players to rack up the numbers, Horgan wouldn't get close to that number if he was with Leinster the last decade. Bod and Darcy aren't even back three players but got lots of caps due to a lack of competition at centre. Seems the common denominator as much as anything is a lack of competition / depth in the particular position, thanks for helping me illustrate that.

Far more back 3 competition at Leinster reduces chances for players to rack up the numbers

Who are these wingers then who, but for competition, would have racked up the number of tries Zebo has in the last decade? Out of interest.

James Lowe would be the only one you could make an argument for. I think he is the only player in Irish rugby with a better strike rate of tries per game than Zebo (with 30 plus tries) but he did arrive as a 25 year old fully formed attacking player. His strike rate for the Chiefs was a good bit lower.

Yep absolutely. But the point was as follows:

Similarly, being top try scorer at Munster... could also be contextualised by Munster failing to produce back 3 talent

Lowe doesn't fall into that category.

The argument that Leinster have such good production over the last decade, the players they produce don’t get enough caps to rack up the numbers Zebo has doesn’t really stack up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's a crude measure at best. It's hard to say what tries at club level mean in an international context when so many ProXX/URC games are so far below international level, e.g. Matt Healy is Connacht's top tryscorer, but I don't think he was particularly hard done by with Ireland.

if you look at international tries scored, Zebo's record is less compelling - it's still good, but not stellar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Is there any chance of letting the Zebo/ Madigan discussion just die?

Don't get me wrong, Leinster struggled for a good while at wing (back three), Darragh Fanning was racking up tries at one point for us - and we had a lot of good but not great options like Dave, McFaddan, Adam Byrne, Kirchner etc, good players, some Ireland exposure / success but never at that 'guaranteed an international spot' standard. Adam Byrne has a similar try scoring record compared to Zebo (24 tries in 64 games) - you would imagine if he stayed healthy and wasn't sitting behind the likes of Lowe, Larmour, Keenan, O'Brien (all of whom are better players) he'd have racked up a decent record.

To really highlight the lack of merit in try scoring 'total' as a statistic, I see Nacewa only has 47 tries in 185 caps for Leinster and yet no team anywhere in the world would pick Zebo over Nacewa.

It is a crude metric, but it does generally benefit from a larger sample size.

But when you factor in his record in Europe and indeed international level, it’s beyond harsh imo to suggest him being Munster’s record try scorer is some indictment of Munster’s ability to produce wingers.

Particularly if you’re then going to point to Leinster’s production.

There’s a perfectly reasonable argument that Leinster may have seen it as an area of weakness which is why they brought in Lowe, say. You could even point to bringing back Nacewa. And Kirchener.

I think Fitzgerald, if he had managed to stay fit and on the wing is maybe the only one who would have threatened Zebo’s record?

Post edited by aloooof on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mod: Yeah, I think it's time to move on from the Zebo/Madigan thing. I know it's off season and there's not much going on, but we're going nowhere here other than around and around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

on munster not producing/having quality back 3 players, there is something in that to be fair but in fairness earls is top quality and conway has been fantastic when fit

oh and the all time top try scorer for NZ played for munster for a good few years. so yeah, being munsters top try scorer would count for something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Was that recently?

Something absolutely has to give with munster in the back row. They have more good ones coming in the next couple of years as well. Okeke has more or less the perfect frame for a modern hooker. Obviously its a risky enough move for him though.

Not the last few weeks but it was this season id heard it. Only through conversation with people i know though so could be nothing to it

And also hes not just munsters top try scorer he has the 3rd most on european cup history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

His listed frame and weight are pretty much perfect for a modern hooker. So, he wouldn’t have to make some kind of physical transformation. His game style too would be perfect. Teams want hookers who can be power ball carriers.

It is a risk for him though as obviously scrummaging as a hooker and throwing into the lineout are not easy skills to master. He would have a career somewhere as a back row even if he didn’t make it at munster. So, i could def see why he wouldn’t want to do it.

• Advertisement

I’ve never heard of Okeke even covering anywhere else in the backrow, he’s an out and out 8. A move to hooker seems like a stretch and something that should have been looked at 3 or 4 years ago if at all.

Advertisement