Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Sure, but I don't give a fck about his public image or where he works in the future.

Can't stand the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Ryan Tubridy was getting paid more than the President of the United States. That demonstrates how ridiculous Ireland has become with taxpayers money.

You can claim that about plenty of wasters in Ireland. Not just RT.

That's a problem with this country IMHO.

Not RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Do you think it makes a blind bit of difference whether you care or not? Tubridy's career is still ruined, Noel Kelly's other clients are facing massive pay cuts when their contracts are next up for renewal. All of this is down to Tubridy's greed. If he had just taken the cuts like everyone else he would have been on the RTE gravy train until retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

But this thread is about the Ryan Tubridy situation.

• Advertisement

No.

It's down to RTE not been strong enough to tell NK where to go IMHO.

Not RT IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well he only ever did 3 Renault gigs and is still taking the money as if he was still doing them. Why didn't he take the fees for the 3 gigs he did give the rest of the money back? He knew Renault stopped paying but still took the money. He's in it up to his teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why Didn't RTE stop paying him?

The contract was that RTE would cover it otherwise.

Why would he be given money back?

RTE are at fault here IMHO for under writing the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

TV licence revenue is going to get hit.

They will need to lower the average wages. Similar to what they pay on Tallaght TV. The presenters on Xpose were all on 40k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

No issue with him lying about those cuts either I suppose?

"I've taken a pay cut before, I took over 30pc the last time and they've asked for more, which would bring it up to about 45pc or thereabouts since I took 'The Late Late Show'," he said. And when it comes to this sort of issue that's not something I've been found wanting in, and that continues to be the case."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

President's of the USA get a lot more than just the 400k -

Also - $50,000 annual expense account, $100,000 nontaxable travel account, and $19,000 for entertainment.

Gets to live in the White House and gets 100k for redecorating the White House

A paid Chef - Access to White House Vegetables

Country Home in Maryland

Airplanes - Airforce one - Marine one

Constant security protection

Fleet of Armoured cars

Use of a 60,000 square foot guest house

Former Presidents get holiday spending money of 200k per year (only recently capped)

Top Pension and Health Insurance

--

Tubridy and RTE has not reached those levels yet........

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 13 xulon123

This is white-collar crime. Cooking the books in order to deceive = fraud. A criminal investigation should be commenced immediately.

In this instance it was Tubridy's greed which opened this particular can of worms, but it shows up a culture of secrecy and corruption, from talentless talent and their agents who can never be satisfied with enough, to the inside insiders of the golden circle with their heads in the trough, at the tax payers expense.

100K a year is more than enough for anyone.

On Irish radio a few years ago Edwina Currie, Tory MP, said the sign of a corrupt state was when a disc jockey was paid more that the president of the united states. She was referring to Pat Kennys salary, which exceeded the current US president's salary.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Massive salaries, to media people and politicians, not only attracts the wrong sort of people (ie those who are greedy and lack integrity) but it also bankrupts the state.

Taxpayers money is used like in a monopoly game. Accountability has to start somewhere - and it begins with calling in the Gardai to do a forensic examination of the books, with prosecutions to follow. Tubs did us all a favour, his avarice exposed the rot.

Thank you Ryan.

Noel Kelly is the fella that winds me up the most to be honest, that fella has zero accountability.

They didn't stop paying him because they were bulking up his wages and he agreed to them doing it this way. This way the rest of the staff who genuinely took a pay cut wouldn't know about it and he'd have the same pay he had.. He's a charlatan and a fraud imo.

RTE claimed yesterday that they sought the commercial deal from Renault.

RTE chose to do this. RT can't make them do anything.

His agent can make demands. He can make demands, they're entitled to IMHO.

The same way you or I or anyone else's.

It's not on RT how those demands are met IMHO.

RTE are in the wrong here IMHO. Not RT IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cacambo

I was struggling with O'Leary's explanation for the €81,000 mark-up from yesterday: https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2023-06-29a.13#g266

Maybe this is what happened.

Looking at the transaction to the barter company (Astus UK), the transfer from the RTE barter account to Astus was circa €231,000 to pay €150,000 to Kelly's company CMS Marketing and then onwards to Tubridy's company, Tuttle.

Geraldine O'Leary contacted Noel Kelly and instructed him to raise invoices as "consultancy services".

According to the Times, "Kelly sent the invoices to RTE which forwarded them to Astus to process the payments at an overall cost to RTE’s barter account of €230,760, according to sources with knowledge of the affair... Kelly was told by RTE not to mention any names on the invoices, which were generated on behalf of CMS Marketing, a company he controls."

Regarding the transaction, Geraldine O'Leary said at the last hearing "It has cost us €150,000 in cash".

She also said, "The way the barter account works is that when the campaigns come through, 50% is cash and 50% is credits. Those credits are accumulated and reconciled monthly. We can use those credits for travel. Anything we have used them for has been client related up to now. At the end of the year, if there is money in the account we cash it out and the cash-out rate is 0.65. If there is €100,000 left in the account at the end of the year, it is cashed out at €65,000 and that is put into our revenue. The cash-out rate for the barter companies is 0.65."

Using the cash-out rate, except running it backwards because RTE is putting money in rather than taking it out: €150,000/65*100 = €230,769.23 which looks close enough to the €230,760 the Times quotes.

So it seems RTE transferred €150,000 cash, and this was then subject to the Astus margin so the remaining ~€81,000 must have been a deduction from its balance of airtime credits with Astus. (Credits that could have been used for travel, as she said.) So maybe that's what O'Leary meant when it cost "€150,000 in cash" - the rest was donations of airtime.

I dunno! 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Enough people - the majority - think otherwise to tank Tubridys career. It was dishonest.

Something any competent media agent or public affairs commentator should have expected should the under the counter payments come to light. Not a remote possibility either.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭backwards_man

By the time I had posted that the thread had moved on another 5 pages, I cant keep up.🤪 Just finished to the end now and no doubt there will be 3 more pages. Fantastic thread. Great inside knowledge ButtersSuki. Looking forward to next weeks PAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Will be mad If this is the end of ryan on RTE. What a mess he implicated himself in and now was the rest of them being grilled.

I would never have called it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Ryan. Turbidy. Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Leo was trying to look like he's doing something and at the same time doing nothing at all. It's just a soundbite, means nothing.

He's too scared to rock the boat in case he steps on someone's toes and they have a dig at him during the next election campaign. But that's Leo Varadkar in a nutshell.

Anyway, I digress, back to the main feature...........

Of course he's in the wrong. He told everyone he took a cut but in actual fact any cut he took was made up for, with his consent, through the Barter arrangement and the rest of the RTE staff didn't know about it.

If I was told I had to take a cut of 20% but my boss said I'll give it to you another way as long as you don't tell the other members of the staff. Then I have no morals and if I came out telling everyone who would listen that I took a cut yet knew that my wages were unchanged i'm a fraud, maybe not in the legal sense, but certainly to my work colleagues and anyone else i told (like Tub's listeners).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,436 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In fairness, nobody wants that gig for the pay. The role is above money. Biggest role in the world really. It’s so much more about power and influence and prestige.

Gareth O'Callaghan former RTE employee for 17 years until 2005 wrote his opinion on the current issue, and his take on RTE culture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

You're saying he's wrong as he didn't tell his colleagues about the renault gig?

Even though the gig was public and his colleagues in RTE would know about it?

Did they think he was doing it for nothing? Do they work for nothing? why would he?

I'm of the opinion it's none of my colleagues business what I earn if I'm doing side jobs or what have you. The same way what they do is none of mine.

Was RT instructed not to tell anyone about the Renault gig?

How did they run the gigs without people knowing he was there?

IMO RTE are at fault in every level here.

I've no problem in not disclosing anything related to salary to colleagues as they tend to be small minded begrudgers whining and crying when people are on more money than they're.

• Advertisement

It is obvious that RTE staff didn't know that RTE were organising the gigs. They thought NK was running them because Renault wanted Tubs. I'd love if PAC call in Renault to find out who actually suggested the charade. I bet Tuns knows and that's why he is now saying very little.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement