Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

They did fight the case that's the whole point. You got 2 upvotes as well lol.

It was known and even admitted in court that this can be caused by genetic abnormalities as well but they didn't even investigate that. It's very strange. It's like they don't care about taxpayers money. The legal eagles all get a big cut of these cases.

I don't have a problem with the hospital admitting liability once a thorough investigation was conducted. But they didn't do that.

We are talking about absolutely staggering sums being given out for the cases....many with very little public oversight...some aren't even made public !

This one was a 32 million euro settlement . A lot of the money goes to the parents control who then can buy and live in HSE controlled and funded megamansions for the rest of their lives. It's interesting if you see what goes on from the inside.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-woman-settles-case-against-hse-over-circumstances-of-her-birth-1432659.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

But the hospital did admit liability and apologised, so it doesn't matter whether they started out fighting.

A lot of ordinary people are scared by big legal teams from organisations with no limit as to what they spend. Plenty of people will back down with such opposition.

So good on them for not giving up and the hospital eventually admitting liability.

And I would be fairly certain that the tax payer isn't paying out, the insurance company is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What exactly is a “HSE controlled mega mansion”? How does the HSE private homes?

The irony of course is that if people had any reasonable hope of getting reasonable services from the HSE over their future lifetime, they wouldn’t need to sue to fund private services.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/state-faces-2-8bn-in-hse-legal-claims-1.3921203

HSE have given millions to these families to buy land and kit out huge houses for the childs life with a big annual (or tri annual stipend) provided. Once the child passes away the house reverts to the state.

Theres a lot of fairly secretive stuff involved in these settlements.

I posted above the 32 million settlement but for many settlements there are confidentuality agreements and there are media blocks on reporting. The HSE and hospitals will often give massive settlements to avoid potential for criminal prosecution.

I highly doubt the insurance companies are paying for these very generous settlements. Insurance companies will fight tooth and nail when it goes to multi million figures. They would insist on a genetic test at the very least before paying out a 14 million settlement.

The families are also represented by high powered medical counsels who get a very nice cut of the proceeds.

This isnt their first rodeo for these law firms who all know each other. Most of the settlements are worked out directly betwen lawyers who know each other very well. Then its presented to the judge who essentially just approves the settlement. Everybody gets paid well with the % of a hige settlement.

Many big payouts are to avoid potential for criminal prosecution of medical personnel or to avoid crreating a precedent in court by 'not admitting full liability' .

• Advertisement

That despite the whole industry of "women are equal to men", the family law courts in Ireland in 2023 very much treat women as a gender to be protected at all costs, in a way they would never feel the same urge to protect men.

It's another variant of the equation of "women and children" during wartime - and in both cases, where the man is thrown from the family home (and denied equal rights to continue to parent his children) and where the men fight/die in the wars while the women become refugees respectively, the women's rights industry are very pleased that adult women are treated as vulnerable non-adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Women do not want equality, they want privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Only for that Aoife Moore trying desperately to make a name for herself, golfgate wouldn't even be a thing. Honestly, did she expect the attendees to go around with a clipboard and measuring tape and examining the partitions between different areas to see were they permanent or temporary structures. A non story exaggerated beyond all proportions.

Where is she now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll update that one to make it usable for most people/groups calling for "equality" these days:

[Minor group] do not want equality, they want privilege.

• Advertisement

Can you post any sources to confirm the following aspects of your claim please?

• HSE is funding claimants to buy land (as opposed to property )
    • House reverts to the state after death
    • Secretive settlements with blocks on reporting
    • Lawyers getting paid on a percentage basis
    • Payouts to avoid criminal prosecution

These are very strange claims and not supported by anything that I’ve seen.

That's because you won't see them, they aren't allowed to be made public as part of the settlement agreement. HSE don't want precedents to be set, suits all concerned not to make all details public.

The HSE has funded very expensive land purchases and also very expensive mcmansioms to be built in the name of 'providing a suitable environment '. As part of these deals the property cannot be inherited by other family members. I can't go into the details of how I know this here.

They aren't strange, you just don't know about it.

There ARE media blocks on these cases, partially or fully I can't tell you exactly, but even after the settlements they maintain confidentiality in many cases. You wouldn't know unless the people involved told you.

Imagine if you were a senior director,consultant, admin,and the plaintiffs lawyer digs up any evidence that ypu didn't follow procedure,you were perjuring yourself , and it would drag the hospital into disrepute (even if not directly related to the medical malpractice part).Its much easier to reach into HSE funds and throw a bunch of money at a generpus settlement and keep settlement details confidential ,suits everybody and lawyers get paid.

Ask the HSE for details, dont ask me. But you won't get any details.

Some of this has been discussed before here.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058218652/hse-settlement-without-admission-of-liability

Post edited by maninasia on

It's not credible to suggest that none of these details have come out in press reports, parliamentary questions, campaigns, disability organisations and more. Every aspect of these cases has been picked over in press and the Dail and more.

You still haven't explained about lawyers on percentage payments.

Cases for the State are handled by the State Claims Agency. Medics and hospitals have no role in deciding who gets what. They tell their story about what happened. and the SCA takes the case from there.

There's nothing in that linked thread except misinformed sniping from the ditch from people who've never been faced with the reality of providing disability services for a child, or indeed an adult.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

I told you the full details of the settlements aren't permitted to be made public as part of the settlements. Some have names and for some the names are never revealed. This is not illegal.

You have a hard time understanding this?

You are desperate to pick holes in what I am saying hence you jumped on the one part where I was probably wrong in my assumption (that the lawyers work on percentages).

And yet I have been told many of these details above directly from the horses mouth as they say.

When the kids are made wards of court the property, newly constructed or acquired for the lifelong care of the patient, also somehow becomes under the control of the HSE but the families can pick and choose what they want. The budgets allocated are incredible。theres no means testing of the families and there really is very little oversight as far as I can tell. And thats just the properties, not the annual stipends.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

The posters defending Tubridy on here are all tossers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Threads like that are good for finding people to add to the ignore list.

I think beside every poster's name the number of people who have them ignore should be there for all to see. It would encourage people to just ignore tossers instead of replying to them.

HSE don't control wards of court. Try reading these ten case studies.

Wards of Court are under the control of a Guardian At Litem, or a committee, usually including GAL. You've misunderstood how the Wards of Court system works, and I fear that you've misunderstood a lot more. Wards of Court are tightly supervised by the Courts themselves.

The Wards of Court system has been replaced by the Assisted Decision Making legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Every time a man meets a woman for the first time, within the first 3 seconds, they have assessed and made a determination if they would or would not like to have sex with them.

It may be an uncomfortable reality for some to accept, but it is fact.

Work colleague, friend of a friend, random stranger, .. every single time.

He can't help it, but it happens every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I don't think Bono is that annoying. U2 have done some outstanding stuff. Bono and U2 haters are among some of the most tedious people ever. Not sure they're always thinking for themselves.

• Advertisement

Yah yah you are trying your best to pick holes in what i have been told by folks involved . Not sure why to be honest. You have some peripheral involvement but didn't know what is going on so it irritates you?

Ward of court is a ward of court, HSE pays the money (not insurance companies). You obviously don't know about the details of some of the settlements and how the HSE funds the setup up in bespoke accommodation which is guaranteed only for lifetime of the patient as it is connected to the ward of court (although I suspect they will not kickout the parents upon any death). You also didn't realise that some of these cases have media blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

People who hate cats are needy and lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Is that not what cats think about their owners??

You’re changing your story now. The wards of court committee are not the HSE.

Guys should have an early irrevocable choice to legally not be named a father.

If a woman makes a choice to be a mother she shouldn't get to force that choice onto the guy, through financial or parental responsibility

Overlord

The continent of Africa is mostly a **** hole and I have no desire to ever go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Overlord

The Irish Independent is a race baiting rag:

"In France ‘If you are not white, you are not equal. The system is two-tiered’"

"Brenner Hassett: Imagine the power to inspire young girls and boys if Indiana Jones were rebooted as a woman or woman of colour"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Why reboot Indiana Jones as a woman when whe already have Lara Croft? Why destroy existing characters when you can create new ones?

• Advertisement
    Overlord

Advertisement