Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

Any chance tubs turn up with a pod cast revealing a at some stage in future. Would rte be trying to get people to sign NDA,s I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

I think you're right. (Well done, btw, I struggled with it for a while and gave up!) One particular comment confused me at some stage - CFO said the fee payable to ASTUS was 35% But what did he know about it! 😀

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

So back in March 2020 RTE went on a promotional drive for a new programme. It was called Operation Covid Nation.

And yeah, it didn't get off the ground. It was a terrible idea.

It was going to be fronted by Kathryn Thomas, Aoife Hearne and Karl Henry. All from NK's stable.

I wonder was this Noel's " big idea"? The one he charged RTE €150k for when giving Dee advice on how to handle the talent whilst Covid had the rest of the nation tied up in knots.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2020/0325/1126245-applications-for-operation-covid-nation-are-now-open/&ved=2ahUKEwiei_CowOv_AhWMi1wKHWnLAV0QFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Mie4kkXZdHeWsFrzIOvzx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

If RTE staff didn't know. It's because RTE that devised the corporate gig didn't tell anyone.

RTE already stated who pitched it to Renault. That was the head of corporate in RTE. You can watch it back from yesterdays PAC.

But lets ignore that and keep the slinging on the baboon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cacambo

Aha, so 100% - 65% = 35% (of the gross number). Cool, that checks out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

100% we have to get the Gardaí and CAB involved. We have a former-DG, an agent, and broadcaster up to their eyes in deceptive payments composed of tax payers funds and they're in silent hiding, waiting for a loophole to emerge:

Health Minister Stephen Donnelly has said gardaí should be notified of any alleged financial fraud at RTÉ.

Speaking in Limerick, Mr Donnelly said: “A submission will have to go to the Gardaí, I would imagine that will happen, and then obviously it will be for the Gardaí to take a look into that.

“There are a lot of questions that still need to be answered in terms of this particular situation, I thought there was some very concerning testimony heard (on Thursday) at the Public Accounts Committee.

“I think there were was a reference from the (RTÉ) board to potential ‘deception’ — I think ‘fraud’ was mentioned by one member of the board — these are serious things that we are hearing from the board.”

Asked if a more in-depth inquiry - apart from a proposed review by Media Minister Catherine Martin — should take place and involve gardaí, Mr Donnelly said the terms of reference of Ms Martin’s review have not yet been signed off. But he said he has “no doubt Minister Martin will be presenting to government terms of reference that are sufficient to address the issues that have raised".

Mr Donnelly said he was aware Ms Martin has “engaged very closely with RTÉ” and that it was “a matter for the gardaí” themselves to decide if they were to launch a criminal investigation.

“Ultimately, there needs to be full transparency, the Irish public needs to know and the people working in RTÉ need to know exactly what happened, why it happened, and how it happened,” Mr Donnelly continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

RTE was commonly and frequently referred to on the radio thread as Ryan Tubridy Enterprises.

The now famous/infamous ''freebie list" was referred to as Ryan Tubridy's Expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

What about the roller blades?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. All this in this together shite he constantly spouted on the radio. He's 2 faced. How could he look at the make up artist in RTE for example who was probably giving out about the cost of living knowing full well he didn't even take a pay cut and was earning astronomical funds for waffling on the radio for an hour a day. You couldn't make it up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ryan Tubridy's pay is published by RTE. If it's nobody's business, why is it published? Well?

These are public funds.

The situations you are describing are not remotely comparable, for the obvious reasons outlined above.

Do you come out and lie to your colleagues about taking a percentage pay cut, while keeping schtum that the company had guaranteed your salary as long as you do some a small amount of overtime? Even if you're not needed? And this option isn't made available to anyone else? It was part of your remuneration from the company. It wasn't some side nixer done without regard to the company. Tubridy might have been able to get away with this if genuinely all the monies were coming from a third party, as we have seen they were not - it was all either directly or indirectly via RTE.

That might be something that can be pulled off in some roles, as we have seen, it is not something that can be pulled off in a role like Tubridys where reputation is key. Which should have been OBVIOUS to those involved, that there was no guarantee this deception could be sustained, and that if and when it came to light it would have severe reputational damage.

I'm sure readers of your post are forming their own opinions of someone who describes their colleagues in such a manner. And how, should they be caught in a mistake, they should not be surprised if they find themselves without supporters and end up out on their ear.

The situation as you present it is illogical. You present it as if only one party can be wrong. RTE are at fault at every level. But there's enough blame to go around. NK and Tubridy are at fault for colluding in an operation to deceive the RTE board.

And you keep running away from these points - put to you several times on the thread:

If he did nothing wrong, why he say otherwise in his statement last Friday?

And if he lied in that statement, was that 'wrong'?

If he did nothing wrong, why is his career finished or seriously in jeopardy?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

Kielty definitely needs to insist on Tubridy as his first guest.

Kielty, leaning forward, hands clasped empathetically, speaking in his soft Northern accent: "So Ryan, where did it all go wrong?"

This is worth a look, CMS being the company on some of the invoices:

Aside from Noel Kelly, there's other staff overlap with NKM.

The client list includes an post and Tourism Ireland btw.

It also includes:

National Broadband Ireland, which Tubs has links to; and Bank of Ireland, for who "Baz" features in their campaigns (so more fees back to NK via Baz)

.....talk about a virtuous circle!

A lot of links don't work on the site either.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Why so?

For the record, I didn't coin either. I'm simply stating they were used.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This scandal will run for many weeks during the quiet political period. I think we have a lot more to learn too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yes Tubridys conducy has been disrespectful to the legacy of the Late Late Show and the finest traditions of public service broadcasting.

It is a good rule is it not for public figures - thou shalt not do anything thou art not comfortable talking about on the LLS?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It sure distracts everyone from political scandals.

how convenient.

qui bono?

who exactly profits from this fiasco in a very Machiavellian way.

qui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

RTE having "a dig" at Leo will probably do his rating better than worse at this stage. Hence why you have people waiting for 4+ hours for a 3 mins slot to get some videos out onto TikTok etc

• Advertisement

It's a perfectly valid question actually - and it's certainly one Gay Byrne would have asked of, say a fallen politician.

But leaving that aside, what respect has Mr. Tubridy shown the institution he extracted fees from for decades and which made him an incredibly rich man (by most people's standards). What respect has he shown TLLS? What respect has he shown his colleagues - all of whom on. less money than he and many on a fraction of same? What respect has he shown his audience?

Need I go on?

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Your comments are completely disrespectful to Joe Duffy who has many avid listeners on this platform.

Tubridy is not now and never has been de most loved broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭political analyst

It did go ahead but the title was changed to 'Operation Transformation - Keeping Well Apart'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's a joke about George Best. Kielty would be capable of something like that.

In the case of Bank of Ireland etc they got hit with a number of large fines by Central Bank of Ireland because of security failures. Huge fines. So they had to hit advertisements and show CBOI they would improve etc. At that stage one of the biggest names in Ireland was Baz, was he even with RTE when he first started after getting kick out with his drink, drink, drive drive issue. I think he was with Sky. The first campaign was all about security and he has continued as the face

In these sort of campaigns its get a familiar face and we should not degrade a person who has worked hard to get these outside employment from RTE.

Im sure like everyone else when this money dried up during covid these actors got hit. Well everyone apart from our wee Tubs

Why were RTÉ so desperate to hang on to Tubs? Could they really find nobody else to present The Late Late Show or that 9 AM programme on Radio 1?

When I first started work - my starting salary was 20k and my colleague was on 15k.

i was told by the boss to tell no one I was on such a high salary.

this was so there would be no jealousy in the workplace.

the boss used to tell all new recruits that 15k was the best salary on offer.

it happens all the time and it is not illegal.

I recall that Kielty did exactly that on his Friday night network show on BBC 1 after Best received a liver transplant - he toasted Best's good health with a pint of Guinness!

When you look around the canteen and see Lottie Ryan etc looking back at you, wouldn't you think he is a "star"

F**king shambles the entire place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It makes them millions. 75,000 is a small price to pay to avoid the hassle of finding and taking the chance on a new presenter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement