Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

You do realise that another human died in tragic circumstances - thereby making a liver available for transplant.

how can one be so disrespectful.

that certainly is not comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

As I (and others) have pointed out many times you don't have to engage in illegal activity to lose your job, or career.

In many contracts (my own included), I have a clause whereby "if I bring the company into disrepute" I potentially face disciplinary action up to and including termination of my employment. So let's say hypothetically I did something that wasn't illegal nor would I be prosecuted for but made the papers and didn't exactly portray me in a good light. Or say I was caught on Tik Tok telling someone to "F*ck Off" or something like that. Or being drunk and behaving like a bellend in public etc. etc. If my employer was named in any of these pieces and they decided that sullied their name I could lose my job.

In celebrity engagements/contracts/endorsements etc. there are what are known as "Morality Clauses". A morality clause permits an employer to end its contractual relationship with an individual if their conduct breaches the ethical expectations laid out in the employment agreement. I spoke about these early in this very thread. You can equally google the term and you'll find countless articles on same, many written by Legal Firms.

You contend Tubridy has done noting illegal - that's not 100% clear just yet, but let's go along with that and say he hasn't. He has however by being party to a deal "designed to be deceptive" (as per Siún Ní Raghallaigh in the PAC yesterday) brought the organization into disrepute. And that is his problem here.

Note: I did wonder aloud given what we've seen from RTE and how Noel Kelly seems to run rings around them if Tubs (or indeed any of the NK "talent") have such clauses in their contracts? I suspect not, as if they had I think Tubs would already be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Yeah because he was getting a large salary, not because anyone was aware of any dodgy dealings between him and RTE.

It's really funny how you have appointed yourself as the figurehead of the anti-Tubridy movement, purely because you have been waging a hate campaign against him for years. It's not like you're a whistleblower who leaked this to the press, you're just the person who moaned about Tubridy the most. 99% of the time it was unfair and abusive but now he's embroiled in a scandal you're like a dog with a bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Have you noticed that the contact email address for the show is a gmail address and not an RTE or production company one.

• Advertisement

Unfair and abusive? I think it's been shown and proven that's not the case.

I never appointed myself as anything.

Just because I told truths that you didn't like doesn't make it hateful.

Oh and I have previously spoken to certain press about the relationship between Noel Kelly and RTE and perhaps having a closer look at same. And I have written to TDs about it - and I'm not alone on the latter point there btw.

I really can't believe however that certain people are still defending him - even in the face of all available evidence.

Should I take it you think Noel Kelly is entirely innocent in this affair too?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Thats a great point, RTE had all these journalists that were exposing scandals in other companies and associations down through the years and relishing in it. Yet when all these shenanigans were going on under their noses not a word out of any of them, no whistle blowers or anything, everyone kept schtum. To say that only a few people at the top of the organisation knew what was going on and everyone else was squeeky clean or in blissful ignorance is simply not believable. We all know that an organisation like RTE what with 1800 employees many of them nosy journos would be a place rife with gossip and tittle tattle, Sure that is their stock and trade to find out all the gossip thats what they do in the Dail, who gets all those leaks from the cabinet, or all the exposes about the covid lockdowns before they were officially announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

That my friend is the million dollar question. As far as personality goes, he’s definitely marmite, love him or hate him. I personally found him annoying tbh. Not fit to lace gaybos shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

RT and NK will be in & out of PAC pretty quick. (Longer term reform and lessening influence of NK will be on Bakhurst.)

The real entertainment starts when DF is back fighting fit. Moya Doherty's off the charts levels of smugness yesterday has not gone unnoticed by many. The DF vs MD cage fight is still on :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I understand your point - I really do.

without being absurd - another way to look at it - I think it can be argued that the company brought the contractor into disrepute

Have I said it's illegal? No.

Were you on a regular basis going to your colleague and saying "I know the pay is crap, but we're all in this together" whilst knowingly earning more than them? I hope not at least.

Your gross attempted over-simplification of a very complex scheme designed to hide transactions that siphoned public money to a number of people (Tubs and Kelly) and was done some whilst Tubridy was telling the country what a great lad he was to take a pay cut. Are you really trying to compare the two?

You said earlier you work in or are connected to RTE (I believe, apologies if I have misinterpreted?). Have you been blind to the visible rage of your colleagues in there this week? Did you miss the chairwoman's comments yesterday that these arrangements were "designed to deceive"?

This is the Scooby Doo moment where you take off @CGI_Livia_Soprano mask to reveal NK.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,266 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And to run with that idea... as a 'brand' Tubridy brought his brand into disrepute. His brand is now toxic to his customers and their customers (advertisers and audience).

Amazing agent skills from NK to destroy the market value of his hitherto most lucrative 'brand'.

You didnt have to be a genius to figure out there was a fair chance this grubby deception would come to light... and then what?

Perfect example of how a cunning stroke can backfire.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Well we've completely jumped the shark now. It's been widely reported that NK approached RTE with this idea, not the other way around. If you want to go down that particular route of argument however, it's NK that brought Tubs into disrepute.

I also said Tubridy was a party to the deal that has brought he company into disrepute. Just being a party to such a deal is enough to end a career, you don't have to be the one who conceived it.

Now I have to put my son to bed. I'll likely be back later if I don't fall asleep myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭political analyst

If there was reasonable suspicion of a crime having taken place in the context of the Tubs contract then they gardaí wouldn't wait for the making of a formal complaint to start investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,463 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Paddy Kielty has turned down an additional €50,000 expenses, as he is going to cover his own accommodation and travel costs.

Could you imagine Tubs doing that? Not a feckin chance! He'd want 100k, paid secretly under the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭paxreseuropa

Well its nice to see you're in agreement on their positions being under threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

He only turned it down after recent events.

As strangely enough the numeration hadn't been in front of the numeration board yet but contract was signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You need to be very naive to think that Tubridy is not culpable in all of this. Like, spectacularly naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's RTE who have brought themselves into disrepute. Hard to blame Tubs when most of the wrongdoing was by RTE.

Remember, Tubs was under no legal obligation to reveal his own salary to anyone except Revenue. It was RTE's responsibility to report the salary correctly.

The barter account wasn't Tub's responsibility either.

• Maybe one of the insiders perused the Tubridy thread and ruminated “there might be something in all this 🧐” and took a closer look into some shadowy corners…. Meanwhile NK is sweating p1$$ and trying to find a way of setting fire to all the records: rm /path/to/Tubridy/*

INT - DEE FORBES OFFICE RTE DONNYBROOK - NIGHT

Palatial office at 1250 square foot with two live peacocks walking around as pets. TUBRIDY and KELLY sit before FORBES at her 1900’s Georgian mahogany desk which is adorned with a Fagergé egg and an porcelain Neopoleonic canon.

KELLY

Who leaked his refusal on the 15% cut?

FORBES

If you’re implying it was me you can f**k off Noel. 

How would that help me and RTE? 

Destroy the brand and the character he built for 20 years over a few grand? 

You may come out of the fog you dope.

TUBRIDY

I’ve invested a lot of time and energy in to Ryan Tubridy and thats why we’re here Deef.

FORBES

We have also. Millions into that shitehawk character.

TUBRIDY

Thats not nice is it Noel?

Now its time to right the situation publicly.

All the RTE ships must be lowered with the tide. Do you agree?

FORBES

I do. So the pair of you dirtbirds have a plan?

KELLY

Yes.

TUBRIDY

I’ll take the 15% cut.

FORBES

Really how gracious of you.

TUBRIDY

No need for the tone Deef.

You forced my hand with the refusal leak.

KELLY

He’ll take the 15% cut but will be compensated with a popcorn budget.

FORBES

A popcorn budget?

KELLY

You’ll pay Mr. Tubridy the 15% difference through the Red Sea Trading Company barter account.

FORBES

What?

TUBRIDY

The Barter Account Deef.

FORBES

How do you know about the slush fund?

KELLY

Mr Tubridy will publicly take a salary cut of 15% once you agree to reimburse him the 15% through the barter account. Do you understand?

FORBES

I’ll have nothing to do with this.

Tubridy turns and aims the Neopoleonic canon on FORBES’s at her.

KELLY

Not only will you pay Ryan but you will also be charged a handling fee for myself.

FORBES

I most certainly will not you gangster.

Pair of gangsters.

KELLY

You wouldn’t want the Red Sea Trading company accounts leaked over “a few grand” now would you not to mention losing my clients’ services?

TUBRIDY

Noel you should charge for that advice.

KELLY

I most certainly will but how much is the question?

TUBRIDY

€231,000?

KELLY

Noice!

FORBES

You a pr**k like your grandfather Todd.

TUBRIDY

I didnt lick it off a stamp says you.

TUBRIDY and KELLY break their hearts laughing. KELLY farts and the laughter escalates.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,418 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Eh, I reckon had this affair not surfaced Kielty may not have been so principled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

You might not care. I think the rest of the population does. All those pesky tv license payers care

So you are of course entitled to your opinion, but not sure why you think it is better than everyone else's. Especially when you now confirm you don't care after days of posting about RT innocence/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If he spends fifty grand on flights and accommodation minus tax his 250,000 will be mighty paltry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

What's the "tough questions about fixing roads" by the way? give us some examples of the questions

Also the tidy towns, them bast**ds keeping the litter out of towns. What questions would you like to ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I watched part of an interview with Dee Forbes from 2019 she did with Joe.ie.

How on earth did she get the job in the first place? She seemed completely hopeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its not what you know in Ireland, its who you know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement