Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Population 2022

• 24-06-2022 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Looks like Limerick's population grew by over 10,500 people since the last census bringing the population up to 205,444 people. Is there anywhere that shows the population of the city?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That data won't be available until sometime next year. What was released yesterday was just the initial results. They still have to dig down into it to get more detailed results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Thats what I thought but i noticed on the below they were able to give a figure for the population of Galway City, but that could be just guessed?!

Census 2022: Galway's population grows by over 7% - Galway Daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They give the preliminary population for the former Limerick City constituency - both more than 205,444

Galway is still done on county boundaries, hence they can give the figures

Is that figure of 120k just the electorate that is of voting age or the whole population? Where does it cover? Seems much higher than i thought

• Advertisement

It's the Limerick City Dail constituency. This includes parts of the county that are not seen as part of the city and parts of Co Tipperary.

That's not the former Limerick City constituency, it's the current one, created in 2017, that we elected TDs to in 2020.

You are right about 'former'. I'm not in Limerick.

This contains 120,639 people in April 2022

So its the dark orange area only? I'm surprised the area didnt extend further south west in the direction of clarina with mungret etc growing as fast as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 The CW

Okay lads, so here goes. I did a little bit of calculating this morning.

Limerick 2022 Census Results:

Limerick City (Pre 2008 Borders) - 54,219 (Directly comparable with 2002 & 2006 census results). Up from 52,560 in 2006 a jump of 3.2%. However very similar to the 2002 population of 54,023. Which is only a 0.4% increase on that figure.

Limerick City (2008 Borders (Includes Limerick North Rural ED)) - 61,570 (Directly comparable with 2011 & 2016 census results). Up from 58,319 in 2016 a jump of 5.6%. Was 56,779 in 2011 a percentage increase of 8.4%; 59,790 in 2006 a percentage increase of 3% (52,560 excluding LK North Rural ED). Extrapolating the totals for the same area in 2002 gives 61,253 a percentage increase of only 0.5% (54,023 excluding LK North Rural ED). Obviously it has taken the inner city 20 years to recover from the effects of regeneration.

Limerick City and Suburbs (Estimated as CSO uses different boundaries rather than the EDs as a whole used here) - 102,603 (Note this doesn't include Ballyglass ED with Parteen/Westbury/Shannon Banks) 108,626 is the figure with Ballyglass ED included. I also found a figure of 96,800 for this same area in the LSMATS, however that figure is after 2016 but before 2022. 2016 population was 94,192. 2011 population was 91,454. 2006 population was 90,757. 2002 population was 86,998.

Limerick Metropolitan District (LK Area only) - 111,880 (Current borders for Limerick City North, East and West). Up from 104,952 in 2016 a jump of 6.6%.

Limerick - Shannon Metropolitan Area - 140,526 (New borders as defined by LSMATS, MASP (LSMASP) and Southern Regional Assembly which includes Mid-West Region). LSMATS gave this figure as 132,400 using 2016 census data. This represents a percentage increase of 6.1%.

There are also new borders defined for Cork and Waterford Metropolitan Areas in the wider Southern Region (South-West and South-East Regions). New borders for Galway Metropolitan Area is defined by the Northern and Western Regional Assembly (West Region).

Please feel free to let me know if you think I made a mistake, so I can update figures accordingly.

(Edited as I originally left out Shannon A & Shannon B from calculations). So population ended up being over 2,000 more than I originally calculated across the board.

Post edited by The CW on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Nope it's the dark orange and pink that represents the current Limerick City constituency from 2017 onwards. The yellow and pale yellow areas were part of the City constituency prior to 2017.

Nope not former it's very much current at least until the constituencies are redrawn next year using the 2022 census data.

City and Suburbs comparison Census 2022: Dublin City and Suburbs population 1,263,219. Cork City and Suburbs population 222,526. Limerick City and Suburbs population 102,287. Galway City and Suburbs population 85,910. Waterford City and Suburbs population 60,079.

Out of interest where did you get the figure of 102k?

Limerick City Metropolitan District is now 114,692. This is broken down into: Limerick City North 36,385. Limerick City West 38,654. Limerick City East 39,653. County Limerick total population is now 209,536. County areas are broken down into: Newcastle West 29,033. Adare-Rathkeale 29,311. Cappamore-Kilmallock 36,500. Also, a general note on City and Suburb populations. They are slightly different compared to the 2016 census boundaries. For instance the Limerick City and Suburb figure includes Caherdavin/Moyross, Raheen/Dooradoyle, Castletroy/Monaleen/Ballysimon, Shannon Banks/Westbury but it excludes Annacotty, Mungret, Clarina, Meelick/Ballycannan, Parteen and Ardnacrusha. This results in a discrepency where 102,287 is the figure using the 2022 census system known as a BUA(Built-up Urban Area) which measures land cover of urban areas with an area of 61.3 sq. km, compared to 103,611 using the 2016 census definition which measures population of urban areas with an area of 59.2 sq. km. This change has resulted in Parteen no longer being counted as part of Limerick City and Suburbs hence the slightly lower figure using the BUA method. Annacotty, Mungret and Parteen immediately abut the Limerick City and Suburbs urban area but are counted separately as their own urban areas. Clarina, Meelick/Ballycannan and Ardnacrusha are more distinctly separated from Limerick City and Suburbs.

Post edited by The CW on

I got it directly from the CSO website. You can find it here: https://data.cso.ie/table/F1013. Just look for Limerick City and Suburbs.

Post edited by The CW on

You can view the new BUAs using the Tailte Éireann website which has replaced the OSI as of March. The link to the map is here: CSO Urban Areas - National Statistical Boundaries - 2022 - Ungeneralised | CSO Urban Areas - National Statistical Boundaries - 2022 - Ungeneralised | Open Data Portal (arcgis.com).

Post edited by The CW on

• Advertisement

I've love to know why it excludes Annacotty. Annacotty was swallowed up by the city suburbs years ago. And Mungret will be the same by the time of the next census.

The CSO have said that their methodology is free from bias, however Ballincollig and Glanmire are included as part of Cork even though they are distinct towns i.e. not fully connected to the rest of the urban area. Blarney somehow immediately abuts Cork even though there are plenty of green fields in between. Annacotty however has no distinction from the rest of Castletroy or Monaleen with continuous housing, schools, parks, businesses etc. I can't explain why they have counted it separately, same with Mungret tbh as the latest developments in the area e.g. Mungret Gate and Mungret Woods which are counted as Raheen rather than Mungret immediately adjoins the actual Abbey of Mungret but are separated from Mungret. Castletroy College and Castletroy Park are counted as Annacotty rather than Castletroy for some weird reason and the National Technology Park is split between them.

Post edited by The CW on

The population of Limerick City and Suburbs plus Mungret and Annacotty is 106,057. Adding Parteen as well brings it to 106,946.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭iniscealtra

Parteen is in Clare 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Dexpat

I've put this table together based on the data in the latest census release. As The CW said, the methodology for measuring city and suburbs has changed since 2016. I've included the new methodology, built up urban areas (BUA) when showing percentage increases. It is not on a like for like basis to the 2016 'settlements' figure, but it gives an approximation of the increase. Limerick has had Annacotty etc removed for some reason, but all the new BUAs in the census are done on the same basis so this will be the official figure used in future. The metro are populations are obviously higher.

Jesus 9k is a serious jump in population for the city

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iecrawfc

It's a pity limerick city(like Waterford city) spills over into another county, you could have a proper city boundary discussion without gombeen politicians and other muppets thinking it's a hurling match they're playing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

It's still nice to see Limerick city now has an official population over 100,000. It moves it into a higher tier of larger cities (by Irish standards!!) and eliminates any arguments by some over the years that Galway city was somehow bigger.

I'm also confused by the exclusion of Annacotty which I assumed under the new Built Up Area (BUA) methodology would surely have been incorporated but instead is treated as a standalone village of c3800 pop.

I think the reason more outlying Ballincollig and other villages are included in Cork's urban population is because the official Cork City boundary was expanded to incorporate those areas about 10 years ago so a city population by default will include everything within that official city boundary even if it's the occupants of a farm within that boundary etc. Limerick's official city boundary is much smaller than the continuous BUA that extends into Clare etc . Why the BUA pop for Limerick includes Corbally and Castletroy but not Annacotty is confusing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Cork City boundary was expanded in 2019, Cork City and suburbs extends from Kilumney to Carrigtwohill and to Glanmire in the north.

Ballincollig has always been counted as Cork Citu since Eurostat began defining Urbah areas.

Blarney and Tower are stand-alone settlements in the Cork City Council area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭BagofWeed

Doesn't go anywhere near Carrigtwohill, its eastern boundary is the M8 and it excludes Little Island. But Yea the suburbs though do pretty much extend to Carrigtwohill.

Post edited by BagofWeed on

Advertisement