Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Or hired to make the argument… or have a horse in the race…

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wouldn’t begrudge him the allowance anyway. But since this affair he’s probably thinking about the optics if it all; something Ryan didn’t think of when doing his deals.

That money was just resting in my good friends barter account. It just went on a trip. Nothing to do with tax payers money and faking a pay cut. No, no. Chin, chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Not hard to find why she got the job, it's on wiki. The "it's who you know" has been done to death now at this stage. Certainly the likes of Lottie Ryan etc have benefitted but maybe a little research before firing it out for every single employee of RTE

Before joining Discovery, Forbes led Turner Broadcasting's business in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, which consisted of seven entertainment channels, including Cartoon NetworkBoomerang and TCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Were they set on having the first female DG and this played a part in her getting the job?

Her appointment seems bizarre.

• Advertisement

You never saw me with a barter account, did you?

No, Ryan. You were always very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Non payment of the license fee will be significant. Especially if the board members are still in their roles or Tubs is back on the airwaves.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

He was complicit in his silence every year his incorrect RTE salary was published the smug git.

I would call that deliberately deceptful towards the public that trusted him.

Good riddance to the weasel.

He is far from responsible for RTEs grubby stroke but he has his own part to play in it.

If her appointment was bizarre, who was the competition? who would you have put forward instead of her?

I have no idea who was at the time or now is up for the job but like the CFO their credentials seems to correspond to the role.

That's not to say they haven't done something very very wrong in those roles and I put put Dee and CFO in that. Actually the entire board. But just trying to figure out this narrative.

If Tubs comes back and Noel King is still involved with RTE, there's no way I’m paying a TV license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

That doesn’t really mean anything. For all we know he considered what was published his base salary or whatever. Who knows how financially literate Ryan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nobody is blaming Tubridy for how RTE managed their accounts, transferred their money, created false invoices etc.

They're blaming him for why RTE had to do it in the first place, because all signs point to Tubridy, at a time when all RTE staff and presenters were having to take paycuts, didn't want to take the paycut despite already being the highest paid presenter and therefore RTE had to organise an alternative way of getting him his money. That's what they're blaming him for. For being a greedy sh*tebag.

I have no axe to grind against Tubridy. I don't watch the Late Late, haven't heard him on the radio since he did the breakfast show on 2fm about 20 years ago (and that was only because the bus driver would have him on), and I thought he did a decent job on the Toy Show over the years. Personally, I was completely ambivalent about him until recently.

But it seems clear that he was looking for more money when everyone else was taking a paycut due to financial difficulties. And given that the company he was working for is largely funded by the public through taxes and licence fee, f*ck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

NKM ran rings around RTE for many years and has made a fortune doing so - I have commented on his shenanigans many times on many threads on boards. I inadvertently developed a sixth sense for spotting who was on his books but didn't publicly say so. It became easier and easier to spot them as patterns emerged and Noel's MO became very obvious (to me anyway)

<ADMIN SNIP>

Here's an example of NK MO and how he used his other 'stars' to dupe (imo) a major Irish institution - Possibly the most boring personality in Irish broadcasting is the known NKM contractor, Baz. On Liveline, they got nearly a week out of BoI text scams and a little plan is formed at NKM HQ. The next Saturday, Baz is on the phone to B O'Connor's show (BOC is suspected NKM too) to spoof about being scammed on his laptop...without going into too much detail (as it likely never actually happened)

About 10 days later the BoI adverts appear on both TV and radio with Mrs Baz (NKM) in tow - So Baz is now the frontman heading up BoI's ad campaign. BoI did little to no research on this new frontman, little knowing that people were most likely to rush for the remote as soon as an ad came on.

Sticking with Baz. Did the RTE content guys (sitting around brainstorming for ideas) come up with an idea about a mother and son discussing the mothers death at some stage and Baz and the ma just happened to fit the bill? Did they **** - Totally concocted down at NKM house and proposed to RTE - instead of RTE saying "feck off Noel, that's a bollocks idea" they say, "right, let's do it" - Viewing figs for that show were probably a few hundred...Noel wins, Baz and ma win, public get another crap show that nobody watched and we pay for it. Multiply that scenario by the amount of times this has happened before and it makes the cost of rugby tickets look like small change.

Another example of above is the truly awful Dr Eva Orsmond - I'm sure she's NKM too. Absolutely nobody gives a toss about her but NK keeps getting her on TV and radio and RTE keep letting him.

I said it many times before, Noel Kelly is destroying RTE from the inside out and RTE stands there seemingly paralysed, incapable of stopping him - well, until now that is

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It’s really interesting when you see how qualified Dee Forbes and the CFO are that they immediately bought into the incredibly wasteful culture in RTE. It seems to be so toxic that it corrupts everyone who walk through their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Couldn’t have put it better, nail on head. He knew full well that he was getting this top up money by back channels. And it looks very obvious that he knew he was rumbled last March and had to quit the LLS pronto. It’s impossible to have any sympathy for his position or to show him kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Strange there is no option to pay licence fee by a barter account isnt it?

Could I get away with deducting from RTE the standard barter account processing fee when I pay? I did as much as this front company in the UK did to earn it

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Am I right in thinking that a whistleblower is involved in this grubby little stroke being exposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

From now on any TV or radio show that has any NK involvement must either remove any NK links or the shows can't go ahead.

Well the truth is that Ryan Tubridy, like any employee for any public organisation, is not obliged to demand a lower salary even if it is (partially) funded by the public. I have said it before but I’ll say it again: the fact that his wages are funded by the public does not make him public property.

He wasn’t a volunteer putting in his service for RTE for public good, he was an employee of an organisation that paid his bills, his mortgage etc. Tubridy has also been the no 1 tv and radio presenter in RTE for years, both of his shows have been wildly successful for RTE programmes.

It’s unfair to demand that he asks for a pay cut, he wasn’t donating his time for a charity. He was a wildly successful tv presenter working for what he thought it a fair wage. It’s RTE’s fault, and RTE only, who over indulged him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,467 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That would take a lot of things off air. The only other option is for the 'talent'to leave NKM.

you'd have no Claire Byrne, Joe Duffy, Kathryn Thomas, Dave Fanning, Carl Mullan, Donncha O'Callaghan, Baz, Dermot Whelan, Joanne Cantwell, Doireann Garrihy.

CFO job is not to sit on a panel in front of TD's lying. Their job is to negotiate contracts etc.

He was lying from start to finish to cover up for the whole board and he was just the worst at it. The rest seemed more qualified liars. Like the lady who kept saying she couldn't remember if her husband was with her. She couldn't remember this and she couldn't remember that. She is a more qualified liar.

Dee hasn't been let in front of anyone because she has fallen on the sword, if she gets in front of everyone then the whole stack will come crumbling down around them all and then they all might lose their jobs.

The CFO let slip he knew before the March 17th, that was a huge boo boo and wasn't part of the on-song message of "oh we all didn't know".

Everyone at these meetings knew what was going on, they all knew about the barter account. They have all used it for freebie's to get around difficult questions and I doubt we will ever see the 10 year account information because I would say it would be shocking how much money has gone into that account but also how many agents/etc have been paid off to keep quiet.

No NK related contract should be renewed. No new contracts should be engaged with. Colluded to hide payments from scrutiny. Cannot be trusted. Entirely disreputable.

Out the gap.

F**k me but that is hardly devastating news now is it.

Of them all only Baz, Donncha and.......sorry no thats it who would be missed

Is Dave fanning even still on the radio?

The truth is...yeah right. We haven't got near the truth yet. RT and Forbes and Kelly know the really truth. Time will tell.

Tubs told the public he took a paycut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Listen NK you are in the minority here. The grubby stroke you concocted with RT is coming back to bite you on the arse. Karma is one beautiful bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This was my understanding as well : that Tubridy and his agent refused to take a pay cut and knew full that his overall income at RTE was increasing in fact. Looks like he simply got greedy and began to believe his own hype about being the biggest 'star' on Irish TV.

• Advertisement

Not only am I not NK but I have no affiliation with him or his organisation. In fact I confuse him with Noel King all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement