Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Kill is beginning to tighten. It's back 4-500 over the jast few weeks. There is supposed to be 70-80k less cattle in the country and we are only 30k behind this time jast year which had a particularly strong kill early in the year.

With the price of beef and the price of ration a lot of lads will be reluctant to feed cattle on grass. The price drop will stop soon I say

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If the factories keep dropping the price....we will need another BEAM scheme....

Jesus wept.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Niallers87

Hi all, I sent a bullock 22mths to the factory last week and he graded O+1+, he killed out at 290kg DW but only paid €4.00 a kg, Granted he was stone mad but and may not have had the fat covering, but €4.00kg seems a bit harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You can't have any complaints if you got 4 euro for him ,he was no way fat at all ?

Was he part of a load ?

Id take the money and run.....it sounds like he was wired to the moon with a fat score like that....the factory did you a favour here.....

• Advertisement

When you go down into FS1+ you are in a bit of trouble especially if not part of a load. If he was on grass the coloured fat would have even showed him to have more fat that he had.

Usually as part of a load and if he was ok'ed with the agent and reason explained some plant will allow a bit of leeway. If he was just landed in no forewarning you probably would have been hit harder.

Slava Ukrainii

Well he was a limo cross out of friesian and he was in good condition, had been on good grass as was a vasectomised bull running with cows, he was just getting rowdy.

Well he went with a haulier who was bringing a load but we only sent him as he we couldn’t have him a round. Thanks for the replies though

Thanks, he probably spent the previous 2 weeks running from cow to cow😂 so that didn’t help him😂

If he was running with cows and not on ration he was fairly bare. They tend to look ok but it's fat cover as opposed to flesh that catches them. I had a couple of rigs last year they acted the maggots in the finishing bunch. I sperated them with a couple of other bullocks fed the 5-6kgs maize/ oat hulls and they were still only 2=(32c/ kg below a 3= same grade)

There weight compensated they killed 370-380DW. The question is would he have done better in the mart. 290 kgs@4= 1160. He be about 570-630 mart weight. He would to make 2/kg to do any better. You would just announce him as ''flighty/ livwly for beef only,''

But only feedlots would be the only bidders. I think you did ok

He did not go as part of a load from you. He was a single.

I think you did ok

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Think you did OK if not part of a load.

Last week Boys beside me had a 28 month old bull fs 1+, paid at 5. 00 flat tho as part of a full load.

First time for me haveing an under fat young bull happened this week, fat score 1+, agent has said it'll make the 5 euro base regardless, but I'll know exactly when cheque comes.

You still done OK as it was a single, you might have been entitled to more, but you weren't screwed overly either.

Just letting you know they are back again for next week 5 cent ,cows back 10 cent .

Plenty of finished cattle around it seems

Maybe if you wait for the world cup in September prices will stabalise but they might be back to E4,30 by then cvvvvvvvvv

I move cattle as they are fit. I have hung 15 so far this year and the next bunch will probably go in 2-3 weeks time.

The only point I was making was that it stopped around 4.8 last year and held at that until October.

Slava Ukrainii

I was told today they are giving 4.80 next week....

I held out for 4.85 as I have a good number going in....

There will be money lost on cattle this year....

There is only money lost if you cannot replace what you sold with your margin attached.

Biggest thing that effects your margin is feeding costs. High cost systems similar to some in dairying struggle when prices drop. Short term systems can often see capital investment deteriorating very rapidly and as well there system can struggle as there costs are high.

Its ok here so far

Slava Ukrainii

The ICSA newsletter is saying steers were €5/kg this last week.....

No where was paying that?

Every one who bought cattle this year is going to lose their shirt ,and on top every one who reared calves last year is going to lose their shirt when they sell their stores and if they are depending on you to bid for stores they will be barefoot as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Serious money lost in a lot of cases.

Hoping that stores collapse the back end Will help finishers but it is a fools game when one needs that to iron out the wrinkles.

I buy stores that most will not buy as it takes too long to finish them. I buy in the mart 90% of the time. I am always the highest bidder when I buy. Nobody else has outbid me. I am exactly the same as any other bidder around the ring or remote bidding all the other lads chose not to outbid me as the animals are too far from finish.

I never claim sainthood. You probably have left more barefoot than me.

If there is money lost it's because lads spend too much money finishing cattle too fast without a contract.

If you gamble you do not always win. Betting a couple of hundred K on Larry's generosity is not a the sure fire bet many think.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

There is only profit to be made for 1 person out of cattle, some years it the person selling the stores other it the person killing. Marting an animal costs at least €50 when all is taken in. That's why I try to finish everything I can. Yes it means you are carrying cattle for 2 years plus but at least you are getting everything out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I run a low cost system. I have 20 cattle to go. Reckon they will be €250 back on what they were a few weeks ago. That’s €5,000 to me.

Im sure you’ll argue that’s not actually a lost €5k but I was planning on doing a few things on the farm and had factored that figure but won’t be now

either way prices are in free fall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Suckler's are a dead end game. You have not got the output becauee you have to carry a cow that will only produce one calf at best ( and the national average is 0.8 calves/ cow) every 12+ months. Even in a low cost system that calf carries a debt of 500 euro the day it lands on the ground.

Recently a suckler farmer said to me that a suckler should be getting paid 6/kg base. WTF should it be in general most Bulls and bullocks are outside retail spec for the UK supermarket. Notice the way there is no more talk about changing grid variations as everything above an R+ and 370 kgs would have to be penalized to make it work and processors know they would have to flat price everything below O=/O-.

PS I forgot the Suckler cow exit scheme that the FJ, IFA,ICSA, BP etc all lobbied against now looks much better.It was nothing short of a disgrace it was shot down. It would have set up a lot od lads who wanted to exit a sustem that looks inherently unprofitable below a base of 5/kg

I agree entirely Anto. When ever you buy an animal he should stay until the hook. Having said that there is a lad starting near me rearing calves. He took about 50 Friesians off a dairy farmer for free at 18-21 days this year. Every calf came with 20-30litres of beastings. He was getting it out into April.

I saw them lately flaking calves up around 200kgs. Last April the Friesian's he reared from the year before averaged 590 euro. He was happy enough. As working off calf cost this year he expects a margin of near or over 200/head. He out winters them.on Kale.

Slava Ukrainii

@Dunedin was banking on a base price of near 5.5/ kg this time of year. He would have fed these cattle are expensive high DMD silage over the winter and probably got caught letting them out a bit later than normal. Grass probably got tight in early June as well with the drought. He is comparing the price he expects in a few weeks time with the peak price.

I have been at this game a while it took me years to finesse to the present system. In my system I keep costs low and trickle my cattle into the factory over 4-5 months and try to hand them all before mid October. Over the 4-5 month average you win and lose at times. The beauty of it is you can pick up your replacement over that time as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

For once Bass, you’re bang on - couldn’t have written that first paragraph better myself…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Price almost identical with last year atm Bullocks were 4.90 1st week of July 2022

5.50 base living in hope rather than reality

theres been a drought every second year since 2018

should the increased weight gain from better silage not cover the increased cost of it .

I agree prices almost identical. The same drop and panic it would not stop were here last year. I think many do not understand that it's seldom the processors get caught twice.

The benefits of high growth rates over the winter are often over estimated. Compensatory growth over 8-10 weeks will make up the difference where the difference in growth rate is moderate ( as in between high DMD early mid May silage which is often low to mid DM and high DMD silage 70-72 DMD which is high DM. The DMD is often reduced by the drying process) and there will be little difference in weight at slaughter.

Its similar with other costs advocated by Teagasc to keep growth rates up such as rushing in with bales or adding in ration when growth rate is dropping, aggressive reseeding, taking out paddocks for bales at the 4-6 week stage and introducing bales 2-3 weeks later.

Cost is very unforgiving in beef. 20c/ kg on a 350kg animal is 70 euro. Its easy to swallow up a price drop in extra cost and lose out on extra weight gain

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Where is the €6 a kg Factories had on the table earlier is the year gone?

There was never a base price of 6/ kg this year

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

But is was promised by Factories we can't get away from that fact whatever side you're on.

Advertisement