Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Because someone like O'Kelly or Shortt will do a root and branch clearance of all the deadwood. Something RTE does not want to happen.

I suspect nk is what they call in tv show succession-or in real life business “a killer”. He can cash out and move on to something else

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DrPsychia

They can as there is legislation to do so. If Tubs and co fails to comply the request to attend, the committee can get a court order which they must comply with. See S99 of the Houses of the Oireachtas (Inquiries, Privileges and Procedures) Act 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

And he's still being paid while he's off even though he's meant to be a contractor!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭geographica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why would he?

This country stumbles from scandal to scandal.

Remember John Delaney and the FAI scandal?

Takes a while to remember doesn’t it?

Its because we have become immune to the whole blatant corruption and total disregard for us ordinary plebs.

Makes you wonder what else is going on in this country us eejits have no idea of.

Id start with the asylum/IPA gravy train we have no choice in at the moment…..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The problem here is nothing will happen to the "talents" contracts until they are up. That could be 2 or 3 years down the road, than there is the delay in publishing those figures because of "commercial sensitivities" This will drag on for years. One of the first thing the new DG/board should do is to publish up to date figures annually.

I really doubt this will pass but it will be interesting to see what will happen with it.... a bill is being brought forward by Senator Rónán Mullen next Wednesday which would limit the amount that RTÉ can pay to the same amount as a minister’s salary, €195,161.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A week ago we all thought what a scam it was paying RT all this extra money, here we are a week later and there is scandal after scandal about how RTE have been operating for decades

I for one never saw all this happening even though most of us suspected/knew (Butters) it was happening

This one thing about RT has really brought about a revelation of how all of us ordinary Joe's are being fleeced by one "Truth Matters" media company.

I could go on but it's Friday and I'm drunk at my own expense, no slush fund for me

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

I cannot link yet as I am not around long enough for boards.

There are indeed some odd perceptions of the great, charitable Tubridy machine on here. Mainly one poster. Regarding his pay cut in 2012 =>

Ryan Tubridy was asked to take a 10% pay cut in 2009. [During a global economic crisis no less].

From The Mirror - Feb 3 2009 "RYAN: I'M NOT READY TO TAKE A PAY CUT; 'Legal reasons' blamed."

TOP RTE star Ryan Tubridy last night revealed he will not be taking a pay cut for "personal, legal reasons".

The broadcaster broke his silence and revealed in a statement that he will not be accepting a 10 per cent cut from his EUR346,000 salary.

The statement read: "Like everyone else in this country, I have been watching the ongoing economic situation closely.

"Due to personal, legal reasons, I have been advised that a pay cut is not an option for me at this time."

It seems, that the only way to get him to take a 31% pay cut by 2012, was to have more than doubled his salary beforehand. So that in 2013 [2012 figures]:

From the Journal March 27 2013 - "Tubridy, Finucane and Duffy take pay cuts as RTÉ reveals stars' salaries"

LATE LATE SHOW presenter Ryan Tubridy was paid €723,000 in 2011 but has taken a 31 per cent pay cut and is now on just under half-a-million euro, according to figures released this evening.

The presenter’s salary has been reduced by over 30 per cent to €495,000 in his latest contract as other star names took pay cuts including Marian Finucane, Joe Duffy and Miriam O’Callaghan.

The State broadcaster said this evening that it had reached its objective of cutting pay for presenters by at least 30 per cent since 2008 and also pointed out that annual broadcast output had been increased among a range of presenters.

In the next five years his contract was negotiated again. Again while RTÉ were still very much in financial difficulty. It is no wonder that they thought the secret payments wouldn't be a problem, they thought that they successfully or they seem to have actually, pulled the wool over everyone's eyes the last time. RTÉ seem to have thought that "it's objective of cutting pay by at least 30 percent since 2008" was achieved by increasing it by €149,000 since 2009 (after a massive payout the year(s) before).

He did take up the LLS in 2009, but even with that factored in, the 'pay cut' is moot. Nobody should be defending any of them. 

Tubridy every now and then still croaking about "charity" and making donations to St VDeP, So what? In many ways that is just adding insult to injury. After he took the massive payments that we paid for, he could just give it away? We could have done that ourselves.

They did not care that RTÉ were and are in a lot of financial difficulty. The Licence fee had gone up, people were struggling to pay it and being brought to court. If Tubridy were to never work in Montorose again, he would not be 'sacked' by RTÉ. He made a point of not being employed by them.

He should just not get a new contract. Nobody has explained why he is being paid currently with no contract, or suspended. Every single NKM 'talent' should have their contract revised. The RTÉ board should all be axed without exception. The 'talent' wages should be capped at €200,000 and I am being very generous there.

The crap about them being their own company and signing off on their contracts as ceo and pretending that they don't know what was negotiated has to stop too.

I would be very interested to know how much e.g. Dermot Bannon was paid for each appearance on the LLS or was he doing it gratis? Not that it could ever be considered gratis, as it boosted his persona and helped get him the contract with Volvo.

• Advertisement

I never doxxed anyone. I merely said his profile was up when someone said it was no longer around.

Exactly. Somebody tried to doxx me on here earlier this year and failed. So I do know what is and isn't doxxing.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, I might well have missed it...

"Ryan Tubridy will be compelled to testify before the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee, Chair Brian Stanley has confirmed."

“I will be proposing to the Committee that we seek Dee Forbes - we’ve already agreed to that by the way,” he told The Hard Shoulder. 

“The Committee members want to see Ryan Tubridy in; they do want to see Noel Kelly, his [Mr Tubridy’s] agent and Jim Jennings, the Head of Content at RTÉ who is out due to illness at the moment.” 

So it looks like it's going to happen

Means nothing at the end of the day - maybe they can force them, by legal means, to appear but they can't force them to answer any questions - at the end of the day it's not a court with a Judge ruling over them

The only way to get answers is to bring criminal charges against them.

No I'm not getting Rickrolled - but share if you please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Getbrid of the late late. It's gone well past it's use.

Make everyone in rte an employee and start paying realistic salaries to these presenters

They aren't 'talents'. What a shi#e word to use for a number of overpaid people who believe their own hype.

Rte should cut Al ties with NK ad his agency.

No one agency should have ever been allowed to control so much.

How the people who 'run' rte managed to get their jobs is beyond me. They're incompetent head-in-the-sand jackasses who would have been fired by now in a country that was run by a competent government.

I aint reading all that but point to the bit where they can forciibly make someone say something

• Advertisement

27. In general54, a person who is directed to give evidence or a document to a

Committee or to attend before a Committee and is there to give evidence or a

document has the same immunities and privileges in respect of that evidence or

document, as a witness to proceedings in the High Court.55

28. However, in relation to a Part 2 Inquiry only, this does not entitle you to refuse to

answer a question or furnish a document on the grounds that it would incriminate

you or any other person.

• Ha! Knew it. Was very strange he stepped back from TLLS since it wasn’t that long ago he said he had no intention any time in the near future to do so.

His reasons for doing so seemed a bit off as well but not enough to really think that much about it. Makes a lot more sense now..

Just can’t see him being let come back after this.

And just after that part 31 says a lot

Last I heard the Oireachtas cannot convict someone and send them to prison so nothing stopping them saying nothing

Oh would you ever go away - lasted 5 seconds of that rubbish

Assuming they can, which I doubt. What do you think the media and public reaction to Tubridy and kelly just sitting there saying no comment would be? Do you really think that would be a viable option for them?

Yes, why would they want to incriminate themselves further like Collins did - plead the 5th if you like

PAC can get records of public spending entities, like Alan Kelly demanded 20 years of the slush fund records but unless there is criminal proceedings unfortunately NK and RT are in the clear as far as answering questions etc

NK and RT's reputation is in the tatters I would think and hope at this point - they've nothing left to lose

We shall see, The Examiner is saying that they will be called before the Oireachtas media committee next Wednesday - so we won't have long to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

Ah, it’s the Old Etonians you have to watch out for, particularly the Bullngdon Bullies. Awful bunch of tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

But what more can they add about Tubs's extra money than what was said already? We know NK invoiced the 150k to Astus and likely the previous years extra as well.

Alan Kelly asked for all bank statements and records going back for 20+ years on the barter account for the next PAC session. Tbh, if the RTE crowd had called that the barter company (ie Astus) instead of the barter account, it would have been a bit clearer. Calling it an account sounded like it was an internal RTE account and I couldn't get my head around how it worked, but that could be just me and everyone else got it 😢😢

I think this is how it works.

RTE are a member (client) of Astus the barter company and pay membership fees and broker fees to Astus. NK management, Renault, IRFU etc etc etc are also members.

Astus is both a customer (buys advertising slots) and a supplier (sells flights, tickets, hotels etc) to RTE. Astus do a 'trade credit' (contra adjustment) in their books to offset sales and purchase transactions between various members. If there's a shortfall, RTE pays any balance in cash. Astus then bills RTE for their broker commission on any 'deal' made. Presumably Astus provides a regular statement of individual barter transactions so they can be recorded in RTE's books.

It sounds like the commercial department decided what business transactions went through the Astus company instead of through the normal RTE finance, sales & procurement systems. Barter companies seem to be widely used in media organisations, I'm still missing the why...

My understanding of the mechanics may be totally wrong !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That’s not doxxing. You could at least check the definition of doxxing before you make such claims.

A short-lived re-reg account threatened to fix me last in radio. They claimed to have been given my details by a departed mod.

Thankfully they were removed.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement