Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

When car washing goes wrong in GTA IV:

What happens when you turn an Xbox 360 upside down?

You get an Xbox 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Digital Foundry do a great wee video on a list classic of the 2000s era: No One Lives Forever. Such a great, great game (with an absolutely awful beginning mind you), that put so much out there, it's a shame a remaster remains impossible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played the first one recently and it still holds up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Same but woof, that first level is pretty bad, especially relative to the fabulous variety and craft of the levels after it. The intro though would put you right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Played Inside, very good. No filler, just a tight 3 hours or so. I might stick with games like that from now on. I just don't have the patience for the open world stuff anymore. I should scour HLTB for sub 10 hour games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You might find some gems on the Indie Recommendation thread. Majority of indie gems are under 10 hours and have so much more soul than those giant AAA bloatware games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

How many Assassin's Creed games are too many? If this is correct, Ubisoft think that number is larger than 11.

I bet one of them is a battle royal. Customise your cape, hood, blade etc.

Die in a fire, Assassin's Creed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You’ve just spoiled the title of the 12th one.

Ubisoft are really scraping the bottom out of the barrell at this stage.

I want another Watch_Dogs game with Aiden Pearce in it. I liked playing him in the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I want another one with or without him as I liked them all. I preferred the gadgets in the two newer ones. The drones, RC car and spider bot as it was so fun sending them in to do the work and the cargo drone too in the newest was a great way to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Is there any word on whether Steam will be offering a subscription service similar to the likes of Game Pass or EA Play?

I got the PlayStation Plus subscription on sale earlier this year, and I have to say it's been a good deal so far. You don't get the latest and greatest titles, but if you're willing to wait a month or two you generally get to play most of the big releases.

It seems to be the way things are going these days, so I feel like it's a matter of time

It probably doesn't fit Steams model very well though, they seem to prefer to just do a big sale every few months and sell a load of games at big discounts. And they don't have the same control over developers that the likes of Sony or Microsoft do

It would be kind of nice if a few of the small to medium sized developers got together and offered a subscription service. They probably wouldn't have enough if a pipeline individually to make a subscription worthwhile, but grouped together they could be compelling and still maintain some independence

I know gaming subscriptions can be a bit controversial since you don't "own" the games and they can disappear at the drop of a hat. But realistically we all probably tend to end up with a lot of junk in our game libraries that are play and forget, and you can always go and buy the greatest hits to keep if you want to

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Really looking forward to Starfield getting released so I don't have to have my news feed clogged with clickbait articles combing over every trivial detail about what might or might not be in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know what part of the internet you are on but I haven't seen anything about that game ever apart from a few mentions here.

Really? My Google news feed is constantly filled with clickbait articles about it and when I have my occasional look on Facebook, my feed is clogged with even more clickbait about it. I clicked into one or two articles on my Google news feed which has turned into a major regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Isn't there an option to forget the recommendation so they don't do it in the future?

Ah, there is! Thanks, I should have copped that earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will get worse with clickbait articles about speedrunners and secrets and mods. Skyrim new cycle lasted years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I hadn't really paid much attention to the Xbox FPS boost feature as I'm usually playing newer titles anyway. But in my playthrough of Gears 2 I was cloud-streaming it to the console/Steam Deck and it was the 360 version at 30fps and not a great experience.

I got around to actually installing it locally on the Series X and now it is boosting it all the way to 120fps. It's much more enjoyable now.

Just cut my way out of that big worm. Great, silly, fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dying Light 2 got 2 big updates recently and the latest one is a game changer. Across both updates, the parkour, combat, gore and night time have all been drastically improved bringing them more inline with Dying Light 1. DL2 was on my more anticipated lists for the last few years and then when released, I didn't even make it half way through before quitting and it was my biggest gaming disappointment of 2022. They have completely turned it around now and it is an utter joy to play. Just in case anyone had given up like me, might be worth your time giving it another spin.

Going into the PS store to look at deals and it's always the same, always have to put the filter on to not show microtransactions and just actual games. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Penn

50% microtransactions, 30% Ubisoft games, 10% borderline shovelware stuff, and 10% good stuff.

At the very least though, the 10% good stuff is usually at the top.

It's a pain @Penn.

Gonna try Final Fantasy for the first time ever. Downloading FF7 Remake Intergrade. Probably blasphemy to some to not play the original but I imagine this has some QoL stuff that is just better. I'm not in the mood to put up 90s jank for the sake of purity!

The Xbox store is similar. 500 titles on sale every month, some bargains, but then the same old crap and DLC that costs as much as the main game. That's why I like physical also, you can be more discerning and spend your money on the top tier games instead of buying cheap crap. And it keeps your backlog much smaller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh god don't dip your toes in Final Fantasy with Remake! It's one of the more tedious games in the series, but moreso than that it's more a sequel / alternate reality take on the game than an actual remake so you'll be missing a lot of the original's more memorable moments and be left baffled by the game's weird take on the story. Although, to be honest, even having played the original game multiple, there's some serious Kingdom Hearts level bullshit going on in FF7R :P It has a good combat system, but IMO in general it's a bad entry into the FF series.

I'd recommend the re-releases of FF6, 7, 9, 10 or 12 to give you a better idea of the series. The re-releases have actually a lot of QOL upgrades to deal with the older design quirks, and I think they all give a much better feel for the series than FF7R.

The 90s game is waaaaaaay better. Way better paced. The remake has a lot of modern padding that absolutely killed the game for me and made it an absolute chore. The original takes 4 hours to tell the story the remake tells in 35 and it tells it badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I loved the FF7 Remake, but even I agree with the guys above, it's a fun game to play but the story will annoy the brains out of you if you haven't played the original.

Advertisement