Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm picking up a conscience of the centre-right vibe from Christie. Has he been tearing into Trump regularly or is this a recent thing, I wonder?

I think you're right about the damage he could do to Trump or, if he opted to continue his criticism, to another MAGA candidate.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Christie has been pretty vocal in his opposition to Trump for quite a while but he ramped things up significantly after January 6th.

And since he jumped into the 2024 race the gloves seem to have come off completely though, he's also started going after Jared & Ivanka as well.

Bear in mind that Christie was the one that put Jared Kushners father , Charles in Prison for illegal campaign contributions , Tax evasion and witness tampering.

The Witness tampering was especially classy - Charles Kushner hired a Prostitute to seduce his brother in law so he could record him "in flagrante delicto" so he could influence his testimony in the court case.

Trump of course pardoned him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ah, but Obama pardoned people too, so they are both the same... Or something /s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It was only a matter of time, considering trump didn't pay his legal fees due to him, that Rudi flipped

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

If he gets to the Presidential election all most people will look at is are they Republican Party or Democrat Party. It will come to the Independent voters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah the problem for Trump will be locking in the independent voters as he is toxic with them. Obviously you can't treat polls as the Gospel at this stage but you can look at the swing states in the midterms where the Trump acolytes went up in smoke that was due to the Trump factor.

Look at Arizona, Republicans did well in most races but lost the most visible election aka the Governor race because Kari Lake ran on nothing bar shouting MAGA, Georgia where Walker lost, Nevada where Laxalt lost etc. Independent voters don't mind voting conservative but MAGA is a toxic brand for them and obviously you don't get more MAGA than Trump.

Obviously Trump has still a viable path to the presidency, but once the "rematch" between him and Biden is official he is the underdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Koch raising large sums of money to ensure Trump doesn't get the nomination

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In additional news that will shock absolutely nobody. 3 arrests in an insider trading probe of the SPAC that was set up to buy Trump's social media efforts.

In other news, more of Trump's BS proven to be lies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭paxreseuropa

Anyone with a shred of intelligence knows that Donald Trump broke multiple laws between the January 6th Insurrection, to trying to overturn election results in states by threatening state and electoral officials and if all of that carry-on wasn't bad enough he quite literally stole federal documents containing highly sensitive information and material, and if it is to be believed he also shared some of this knowledge with people who had zero security clearance.

Now luckily for Donald there is not a hope in hell that he could be tried before a jury of his peers in a fair trial as there isn't a soul in the Western Hemisphere who hasn't heard at least something about these crimes, and as he is pleading not guilty to all accounts both present and future his cases will have to go to trial. I can't see how the jury won't become unreliable and in effect cause the collapse of any trial involving Donald Trump on these matters. Also, I believe it may be several years before if ever we see him actually go to trial for these crimes and at his advanced age there is every chance that he may be deceased by then.

Now, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to go to prison or for some form of punishment to be given to him; I'm just saying I think it will be extremely difficult to bring down the hammer on him due to media coverage and general opinion held on him by the average person.

For the foreseeable however, barring some calamitous shitshow incident I can't see how anyone is going to beat him to the Republican nomination; he pretty much (in my opinion) has that in the bag. His main concern would be trying to win over moderates and whilst Biden is without a doubt not only one of the less than desirable Presidents of modern times, he should also not be allowed to run due to his mental incapacity, the man is simply not fit to be President as of two years ago at the very least, never mind run for and complete a second term. However, as the DNC are acting like the CCP it is somewhat difficult to see how any other Democratic candidates will be able to gain enough momentum to seriously challenge Biden and unseat him as the 2024 Democratic nominee (Bobby Kennedy Jr. being the most likely if any but still an outsider, even hovering around 20% according to recent polls).

So it seems it will be a repeat of 2020 and I believe that Biden will turnout as the winner of the election again, however, this time with a smaller vote count and tighter electoral college vote difference. All of which will only further enrage Trump and inflame his base, and their claims that the election was rigged and the system are out to get him.

I am genuinely worried for the United States of America for the 5th of November might just be the starting date for the second insurrection in the United States in less than four years and at the helm of the United States government and military forces will be 81 year old (2 weeks shy of his 82nd birthday) President Joe Biden who can't coherently string a sentence together never mind command a military or quash an insurrection of the size that we might witness in less than 16 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Another memory "lapse" from Trump @[Deleted User]

No record of this standing order he claims to remember.

We await your expression of concern for Trumps conduct here.

Embarrassing? Indefensible? Both?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I'm no fan of Trump but agree with most of what you quoted.

It will be very difficult to get him convicted and in prison, given all of his delaying tactics and appeals etc. He deserves to be, but seeing it happen is a different story.

If he is in the primaries he is likely to win as the votes for others will be split. I am torn about whether or not I want him to be in the primaries. I can't seem him getting enough independent voters to win the election if he is the republican candidate (outside of election shenanigans, gerrymandering, removing people from voting registers, etc), whereas some other candidate might, but would like to see him pay for his crimes which would prevent him being on the ticket. And yes he has committed crimes keeping documents if nothing else.

I do think Biden is far from ideal as the president of the USA for the next four years, but there won't be another candidate put forward. If you look at the jobs you are forced to retire from well before reaching your 80s, then being president of the 'free world' should also be one of them.

If Trump runs in the primaries and is chosen by the republican party, and is not elected president then another violent day is definitely on the cards

Thinking that Trump might not be in prison, and might contest the election and might stir up violence if he loses, and that Biden is not the ideal choice (better than Trump, absolutely) does not mean that someone is pro Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah yes, we'll have a civil war and it will be all Biden's fault. That's the Executive summary.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Proud Boys lieutenant arrested on charges of molesting a 13 year old; where are Moms 4 Liberty now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Sometimes I wonder if the Qanon cult/conspiracy belied wasn't started as some kind of projection to divert attention away form this kind of thing. And of course, Epstein.

January 6 suspect, wanted on a warrant, was identified by secret service approaching the Obama's residence in a dark van with the words "PATRIOTS WIN" written in marker on the glass. He was arrested with weapons and molotov-making materials. He was identified as potentially being one of the men who assaulted a capitol officer who soon after January 6 committed suicide.

Taylor Taranto, 37, who was identified by online sleuths in August 2021 and is facing a lawsuit from the widow of a Metropolitan Police Department officer who died by suicide, recently showed up at the sentencing of David Walls-Kaufman, his co-defendant in the lawsuit. The lawsuit accuses both men of being involved in an assault on MPD Officer Jeffrey Smith on Jan. 6, which they have both denied.

...In recent weeks, Taranto has been living in a van near the D.C. jailhouse, according to his social media, and has repeatedly wondered in online posts why he had not yet been arrested over Jan. 6. Taranto also posted a video of himself on YouTube inside the Capitol during the riot.

The Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement Taranto had been arrested under an outstanding arrest warrant, though the department did not specify what the warrant was for, and that he has been charged as a fugitive from justice. Officers on the scene had the explosives disposal team sweep his van near where he was arrested, the department said, adding that there is no active threat to the community.

• Advertisement

Crashing down now. Then Roman likely has evidence that will put away someone above him, like Rudy Giuliani. Just like rudy has to have something the DOJ finds credible, like evidence against Donald Trump. And the DOJ is gonna know real quick who is lying/withholding because they're all taking proffer agreements to testify against the people above and around them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In more bad news , it looks like Jack Smith is looking into his fund-raising activities as well.

The tone of the article is a bit infantile but the core message is very interesting.

Basically - Post Election , Trump sent out all his "Give me money to fight the stolen election" emails etc. , but the payments were sent to his Leadership PAC and not a discreet fund.

The Jan 6th hearings confirmed however that little to no money was spent by said Leadership PAC on his supposed legal bills.

So - Smith is now investigating where that money actually went and if it was spent on anything other than the "Election legal costs" that were claimed in the fund-raiser communications which could then expose Trump to the possibility of charges like Bank Fraud , Wire Fraud, Mail Fraud etc. and not just FEC Campaign violation offences.

And those charges carry real prison time if convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nothing to see here, a staffer who's gone on to lobbying firm that supports Chinese interests🤔

A Quote from the article above.

“Susie could put Trump away for years in just one minute of testimony to Jack Smith,” a rival GOP operative told The Post. “She’s got Trump by the balls, which means she can name her price for her loyalty and Trump can’t say no.

Yeah - That's exactly the kind of "debt" that you want a potential commander in chief to have hanging over them from a lobbyist for a Foreign State.

Another perfect, beautiful indictment (maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

The Republicans are and have become a horrid lot ... and not at all what they profess to be a lot of the time ... I give you one example of them pre-Trump .... back in 1979 they were actively involved in what some may have seen in the movie Argo earlier tonight .... involved with hardliner elements in Iran's then government to keep hostages captive until after the 1980 US election ... and for what? to make Jimmy Carter look 'bad' and for the Republican candidate to win ... the Republican candidate of the time did win and guess what? 'Iran' left the hostages go with promise of payment with guns as a reward ... on the very day the new Republican Prez was inaugurated ... so the Republicans were ok with a faux hostage crisis where innocent embassy staff were captured to win an election? makes me sick and makes me glad not to be an American .... a few years later the Iran-Contra aka Irangate scandal broke that showed the REAL cosy relationship that existed .. or should I say exists as this cosy relationship continues to this day ... between America's hardliners and Iran's hardliners ... both ironically called Republican Party at that time !!

Trump and his cosy relationship with Putin and Trump downing a more moderate Iranian government to facilitate the current hardline Iranian regime does not surprise or fool anyone ... this party is and has been for a long long time rotten to the core ...

PS: that 1979 takeover by a mob of the US embassy in Tehran reminded me 100% of the events of 6th January 2021 ... both events brought to you by the same production team ...

• Advertisement

Poor Linsey,

Sell your soul and look what happens?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement