Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tchaikovski

My friends, the successful marketeer creates the most annoying ads 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭gipi

Who thought that dozens of flashing, fast moving images would make a good advert? It hurt my eyes!

The minor gaa advert is the "being driven to the match...by your ma" ad -hear it a lot on radio (where it's equally annoying)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I dont agree. Over the years there have been some much loved adverts that you remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Acosta

I don't actually know who it's for, but it's the one with the lad with the silly haircut, being driven to the biggest game of his life by his mam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,410 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

No, that's a different one. Mine is an epilepsy inducing flashing montage of people in GAA jerseys with some sort of humming going on in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 tchaikovski

Of course, who can forget Barry’s Tea and Kerrygold “horse to France” But some modern advertisers have decided Irritating = Memorable and the marketeers are very likely studying this very forum.

Years ago my mother did market research for MRBI or IPSOS or one of them. She'd go door to door and ask various questions, who are you planning to vote for etc, but one question was, what is your favourite advert on TV at the moment. She said three different people replied saying "The Heineken frogs".

I dont think advertising works as well as marketting execs claim it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭deezell

There are certain ads in the 'remote lunge' category that you have to mute or change channel until they're gone. If the remote is critically out of reach, requiring you to stand up, (not an option), close your eyes and cup your ears and chant for the twenty odd seconds. Ads with subliminal woke messages particularly, I feel old and cancelled just by viewing them, and can't remember what product was being pushed.

My current hate is the 70+ granny looking up 3rd level courses on interior design after she's signed her house over to a vulture fund. You can forget flowers on your grave when your kids find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭squonk

All those VeriSure ads are bad but there’s a new one now with a daughter going on holiday FaceTiming her mam as she’s heading out the door. Annoying AF. The daughter comes across as a full of herself brat and they somehow lost the message that she was going to but an alarm like hers for the mother on her return from holiday. I keep thinking of awful things that could happen the daughter on holiday.

Here's a boot through screen one that boils me. Neanderthal depths of moronity, it actually mocks it's target audience for their bovine stupidity.

It's a Sky TV ad, where the suitably PC diverse couple flop onto the sofa, the apparent male endowed half declaring, 'the kids have gone down". The other half waves the remote, grunting. "Quick, what are we watching ?", a decision obviously past her/they/its intellect. The first then grasps the remote confidently, and in an assured and dominant voice, (manfully?) declares, "I've got this!". He then, you would expect, makes a careful curated program choice, intellectually suitable, entertaining, and stimulating for our gen Y pair, but no; Clutching the remote like a totem, he repeats her original request and asks the f**king REMOTE, " What shall we watch?" After that I lost it. The world is doomed. It's the compliant expression of complete vacancy on his face that does it. Nothing behind the eyes. Emptiness. 'Please Sky, plastic electronic marketing algorithm, fill our empty heads with whatever utter shyte you deem appropriate to our pigeon holed social media profile'. And that's an insult to pigeon's holes.

• Advertisement

The aviva one grinds my gears and is an instant remote lunge ad for me.

"How was the drive?" "Well granny... <quickly changes channel>

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Annoying ads are very easy to remember ... all them lotto ads ... that Rockshore ad with Barry and his knitted dolls of his friends ... those FBD ads ... and the Rachel & Steve/Steve and Rachel ads of a few years back ... not to mention those noisy OTT Brady's ham (+Covid!!) and No Nonsense ads ... anything overdone or silly sticks out for sure ... Ryan Tubridy's more hyper Late Late Shows are proof of that too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭trashcan

Exactly my reaction to that ad. “I’ve got this. “. Well, no you don’t really, do you ? You need your fcking remote control to make a choice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That strawberry geek pontificating about how to correctly pull the fruit off the stem.

Smug git.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I was waiting for this one to come up and you're bang on with your summary. My better half also thinks your wan is so dowdy she's more like his mother than his partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

The sky and - “. Using the remote control to make a choice for you.

Pityful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 86,382 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have just seen Brian Cox in an ad for Santander, cashing in on Roy Succession success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Petrol station dairy milk ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

Aviva should sack their one trick ponies who are still flogging that stupid one word that somewhat rhymes with aviva, now how long?? Please, it's no longer amusing, it's just annoying on every fking level. They must be actually losing customers at this stage!

• Advertisement

Ah, it's nice. 'Love you dad'. But it reminds of that other Cadbury ad where the kid tries to make his own choc ices using a huge bowl of Ice cream and grated/melted Cadburys chocolate. He's obviously not practised with his hands or with problem solving, but still, melted chocolate on a big bowl of ice cream, what's not to like? Then his pompous judgemental oul lad walks in, sneeringly pulls a box of choc ices from the fridge (did the kid not spot these?), and waggles them like bait at the drooling boy, before handing one over and putting the kid down with a callous "Clear up this mess first (you useless dimwit)" remark. I could punch that arrogant cnut, who probably 'hasn't hands to wipe his own arse', as my mam used to say to us about adults who dissed kids efforts (and there was a LOT of that in the '60s). If you've never made an arse of things, you've never made anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I don't despise that ad. Its got good production, a "story", they are good actors and the father has a very attractive Michael Keaton thing going on.

Worryingly a bar of Cadbury's chocolate that size is about €5, (soo maybe more than the price of the fuel he has just bought) and I doubt any body conscious young woman would thank you for buying her a bar of chocolate, that size anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Budweiser frogs and I've now got the 3 of them saying it stuck in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 upbeatdown

That advert is the reason I record everything so I can zip through the ads. I've hated ads before but that child makes me want to kick something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

The M&S ad farm to food hall. Nuke the smary gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

God there's so much Power of Sport/This is Major/This is our Land bollocks on at the minute. Someone in an ad agency in Dublin came up with the idea of showing young ones training in the mud in random rural GAA clubs down the country a couple of years ago and now all they do is copy that over and over again, for banks, for alcohol, for gambling, for British tv companies, infuriating.

I like that image. A crowd of young wans running around a pitch on a rocky hillside, a pint of Rockshore in one hand and an ATM card in the other, while on the sidelines the fans furiously tap their debit cards on a mobile Paddy Power terminal. Then yer wan with the ball scissor kicks a goal while holding her (insert phone company) mobile and live streaming to Sky.

Where's Apres Match when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'm sick to death for the ad for the film Asteroid City on Youtube. Really annoying and that stupid "diddy diddy dong San Fernando" song that is part of it is seriously pissing me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The new Tesco ad with the american accent saying cut. I know what of the body I would cut off I I got near them.

Advertisement