Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Your budget should stretch to a used Damasko DA 36, I can vouch for their case hardening process after 7 years on a farm. They turn up on ebay occasionally.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

After narrowing down the number of watches I am interested in. I went into town to try them on. I’ve come to the conclusion that I like them all…😅

it’s a tie between the Black Bay 58 and the white Seamaster. I like the black bay’s bracelet but prefer the Seamaster’s dial. Looking for something I can wear at formal events

It seems like people love or hate the Seamaster thick bracelet.

Not sure what to do now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

For the seamaster I would buy it in a bracelet and pick up the rubber strap as an extra, to me this always makes sense financially

The internet isn’t for everyone

Of course! I think I will need to sleep on this for a while.

It will be my first luxury watch so I want to get it right. I think I’d be going down the chrono24 route if I chose the Seamaster. Seems like good savings to be had!

This is the way

adverts can throw up a nice surprise now and then too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There's a Sinn 556 for sale on TZ at the moment at very keen money, less than £600 iirc, it's actually at £550 but there's an offer made, so sorry for getting your hopes up.

After yesterday's rain and thunder, I decided that I was going to have a little BBQ today. Have some lovely rib in pork belly and the plan is to cook low and slow for 4hrs. Then sear on a very hot griddle before serving with some salad and maybe even a beer.

Anyway, another rain and thunder warning just went active so I'll be cooking on my own in the garden whilst the Mrs and kid laugh on from the kitchen.

Al I'll say is, it's a damn good thing I had a good Father's Day yesterday 😉 or I'd let them starve 🤣

And when I say good, it was great. No new watch stuff, but there is a birth year involved? The son managed to stumble across a 1979 copy of Dune 😁 It's a little dog eared but that doesn't matter I have a couple of "reading" copies book & digital. I have loved the book since I 1st read it in late 80's and still read it probably once a year. So in place of socks & jocks, I got something I really love, nice & thoughtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Read em all as a teen, mind was blown, still is, "the sleeper must awaken!"

P's I'd risk direct lightning strike for slow cooked bbq pork belly. A noble passing.

The weather was a bit too wet for me to do a full cook outside😟

So I improvised, did a low & slow cook in the oven followed by a quick trip to the grill for a sear.

It actually worked out better than I'd hoped, the overnight marinade no doubt helped too. I had just finished in the grill when there was a torrential down pour too. Worked out well 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Speedmaster X-33 Gen II seems to require a battery change and I will be in London next week, any recommendations on where to get it changed and possibly look at other watches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Haven't visited the forum in an age, it was/is too dangerous. Hope everyone's well.

** swiftly exits **

Saw an interesting take on a GMT from a microbrand.

Seiko nh34 movement and a lot of variety in dial and bezel. The Urban black version has piqued my interest, but if the white version had an Orange GMT hand I'd probably lean towards that.

I am a bit stumped by a 120 click bezel with a 24hr scale. Grand for a 3rd timezone but no use really as countdown or elapsed timer.

I'm browsing watches in an effort to distract myself and I may very well be overthinking things 😉

Some interesting "concept" watches too, all very much in the homage category apart from maybe their MDS 4.0🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

Anyone any good at translating French?

Herself brought me back a dirty magazine from Switzerland. Heres a few SFW photos

Aj sure dirty magazines are only bought for the pictures anyway, tbe articles are over rated

on. A serious notnuou can take a photo and scan text and use google translate if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Ian OB Doirty!

Anyone buy from Japanese dealers on Chrono24 before? With the yen being so weak. It’s quite tempting…Not sure if it is worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had a quick look quite recently actually - a watch bought for 2700 inc. shipping would end up costing over 3700 landed, with all the fees. So it'd want to be a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

It details an overview /brief  history of Tudor and a tour of the Tudor factory, now a fully integrated plant. Robots pick parts, send them to appropriate workshops, temperature/humidity-controlled areas, etc. Mentions production-line system, also  Breitling & Tudor made an agreement and Breitling  receive the ‘chronograph calibrators’ (?) from them – Breitling makes its own ‘calibres’ since 2009 and Tudor delivers its Kenissi to them – continues with how Kenissi is being made available to small manufacturers, Chanel 112, Bell & Ross…Tag Heuer commenced with using Kenissi in 2021. Etc.

Plenty of bargains to be had from Japan, tbe used watches from reputable sellers are in fantastic condition

just be patient and always factor in the customs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭893bet

What’s the method of calculating the final price ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think it's something like this - example for a watch that costs 960 and 40 quid to ship.

Value for customs is 1000, so 120 payable (12%).

Value for VAT will be 1120, so 257.6 is payable (23%). Add handling fee of 10 by An Post.

Total import costs are 120+257.6+10 = 387.6, so total cost of watch is 1387.6

Yikes, quite the hike eh!

Only ever bought from EU sellers on c24.

Lads, if I were a sailor? I'd surely be named Jonah! Or if I thought that the whims of fate were actually shaped by some sentient higher power, or a kid mashing the buttons on his Sims game 😉 or indeed if my life and it's travails were a soap opera?

I would, seriously start question, God, the kid's hand eye coordination or the sanity of the script writers.

One of my younger brothers, 34 years old collapsed 2 weeks ago at his home. Luckily someone was there with him. Rather than grumble about the ambulance response time, I'll focus on that stroke (if you'll pardon the pun) of luck.

He ended up having a massive haemorrhagic stroke. Thankfully, the ambulance crew took him to CUH rather UHL. He was on a ventilator for a week and last Friday week? I honestly expected us to be switching off his life support. His condition had worsened over the previous few days and Friday was particularly bad.

Fast forward to Monday, and he was off the vent and breathing on his own when I walked into the ICU. Honestly can't express how happy I was to see a little vitality in him. The added coincidence of Monday being my 1st Wife's birthday? Really just added to the sense of melodrama, scripted lunacy 🤷‍♀️

He is in a very bad way still, paralysed over entire right side, with dysphagia and swallowing issues. The prognosis is that as swelling on the brain goes down, that his movement and other issues will improve. Part of his brain is permanently damaged, but it will be about another 4 weeks before the extent of that is known.

He is lucky in that he is young enough to have an amount of brain plasticity that will help him adapt and compensate. So that and the fact he will have 7 of us too help him get back to a semblance of health will hopefully make his recovery a little easier.

Aside from not being the healthiest in terms of diet and weight. The Stroke team have pinpointed an issue with an adrenal gland tumor that is causing issues with his BP and that prolonged period of high BP found a weak spot in a blood vessel and laid him low.

He's my brother, but he's more than that tbh. He came along when I was 10 and I had a permanently attached shadow until moved out of home, and he reattached himself every time I was back 🤣

As I am often wont to say, your health is your wealth. Don't put off getting any niggles or worries addressed and mind yourselves folks!

At some point in the next few months I might run an auction or raffle giveaway for the Bru Columbanus house down at CUH. A service I didn't even know existed until we were in the midst of sorting out hotels and lift rotas to be sure that one of us was always near CUH. They've made a 2 bed apartment available to my family for the foreseeable. In a place that really is set up to support families and eases a burden at a time of huge stress.

It'll be a few weeks yet before I do anything on that front but I will of course run it past @Wibbs and get a Boards ok before I do anything.

Sorry for the essay and don't worry about tiptoeing around the edges of it. Our youngest brother has already changed Stroke Bro's ring tone to:

My god, what a series of events you and your family have been through. Nothing else matters except yours and your loved ones health. Everything else can be jigged or fixed.

I wish him well with his recovery.

@banie01 That's quite a trial for you all, but wonderful to see such support from loved ones.

Stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

This was news to me. Had only recently become aware of the ability to date them in the last year or two.

https://www.plus9time.com/blog/2020/8/20/new-five-sports-serial-number-format

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Seriously considering upgrading from my Sumo to this new GMT Prospex…..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Christopher Ward. They are UK based and online only, priced in Euros on the site when you select selling to the EU. Doesn't anyone know if I'll be stung for customs?

Iirc, yes they will charge you VAT, but you will be hit for customs on the full price, including shipping and handling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I did a bit of digging on their website (digging = going to the very easy to find answer to my original question).

"We ship to countries within the EU on a DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) basis which means all relevant local taxes and import duties are included in the price you pay, and you will not be responsible for any other charges. If you are requested to pay any supplementary charges, please contact our customer services team who will assist you with this matter and, if necessary, reimburse any extra charges to you."

So looks like price at checkout is the price you pay.

Advertisement