Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

No, I think people have pointed out cultural differences which you and others gloss over and call someone a racist, bigot, and or choose another insult.

I will repeat this again, the issue the majority of the general public have is not against immigration it is against mass immigration, putting a 100's of people in tiny areas that now have to handle population increases by up to 20 percent and more. This is not viable long term.

So, tell me what are the positives of putting 100 men for example in a tiny area like Killala with a population of 500 people? Seriously I genuinely want to know what are positives of that. I am not trying to be smart, I am actually asking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

In response to this week's figures highlighting a further rise in homelessness, the Irish Times reports that the minister was "disappointed" but "not surprised." Oh?

Now compare this indifferent attitude to the government's mindset when it comes to housing "refugees." Here the language takes a decidedly different tone: it's "urgent," an "emergency," a "crisis", and the public are implored to offer up something---anything---to alleviate the problem.

Given the obvious priorities, it's hardly surprising that Irish students are being evicted to facilitate these plantations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What are the cultural differences that you feel are a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Mea culpa - there was 70k Ukrainians in 10 months, 13.5k asylum seekers in 12 months. So 83.5k, 8k on top for the undocumented scheme n can't find numbers for family repatriation. Anyone know the numbers for repatriation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Local paper had on front page 5000 people applied to rent an apartment that came up for rent. 5000! Good luck to whoever gets it finding a creche, doctor, school nearby etc.

In clownworld NGO land we are not full n can do more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

A 2 bed below market rent? Not surprisingly a lot of people applied!

Do they not have doctors and schools in Drogheda?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A load of posts by and replies to one re-reg troll and a separate threadbanned user deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Still waiting to see someone go into detail to show how we can solve the issue of mass immigration/refugees along side the housing crisis Ireland is facing.

I keep looking at the two and they don't seem to add up.

Even if we were to radically invest into infrastructure, it would take months if not years to build enough accommodation for the numbers we are seeing, and for those who are already within Ireland and trying to find a roof over their head.

How do we address these issues, without resorting to either magical thinking, or hate filled rhetoric.

Ireland may not be full (far from it), but the infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired.

Nothing will get solved anytime soon, all the while we keep the population rising.

What is going on in France is a perfect example of what happens when ghettos form and there is no real integration. Some of that is of course down to the government but also down to the people that immigrate to France. If you think we are immune to such riots then you are sadly mistaken.

Europe and countries individually need to get realistic on asylum seekers. When the government scrambles to do all it can to accommodate asylum seekers while there are over 12,000 homeless people you know you have a problem.

What is going on at the moment is nothing but legal human trafficking. This is how it works.

1. People get on a boat provided by people who are people smugglers.
    2. They get to Europe. Make their way, for example to Ireland.
    3. Claim asylum
    4. Get put up somewhere mainly due to a deal the government made with some landlord who gets 800 a head and puts 3 or more to a room.
    5. Tell the Irish public we have international obligations which is a slight bending of the truth cos remember that thing they made us do two times ''The Lisbon Treaty.'' Well, that means we have no obligation. It negates the 2015 deal we signed.
    6. If asylum is rejected go to an NGO for some help. If that doesn't work and you get a deportation order, no bother you have to manually remove yourself from the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Very true, the main thing is getting into Ireland and get yourself into accommodation. You’re guaranteed being able to stay a few years and even if you’re denied asylum after a few years there’s a good chance there’ll be another amnesty.

If not just stay and work in the black market.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Regarding building houses / infastructure...

Every week in the local papers here in the West, all we read is planning for new housing developments denied by ABP in Athenry, Tuam, Gort, Barna, city suburbs, etc..

The Galway outerby pass is dead and buried after 20 years and millions spent. Traffic is worst than ever now with population growing every year and piss public transport across the city and no school buses to ease school run traffic.

Talks of new primary care clinics and hospital extensions are marred with planning objections and planning red tape.

I 100% appreciate that we need planning laws and need to.protect areas of conservation, natural beauty and historical interests .. but the country will never solve housing & healthcare back logs unless we radically change planning laws. We are being held hostage by the greens and ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But refugees are not accommodated in the same places as the rest of the population. Refugees and asylum seekers are housed in direct provision centres and all types of emergency accommodation locations such as hotels (used and disused), army barracks, disused buildings and schools etc

So, to a large extent, the domestic housing / accommodation crisis and the international refugee crisis are two different subjects and not necessarily linked. Most people caught up in the domestic Irish housing crisis are trying to find suitable houses or apartments in the town or city where they are from and are not competing with refugees for a place to live.

You are right yet wrong at the same time. Ukrainians, who are refugees have been given houses that would have been used for rent for people where I live. I know of 2 different people who moved out of their own house to house refugees and asylum seekers. So you either don't know that this is happening in many places in Ireland or you choose to ignore it.

For sure, the Ukrainian situation is very different to the 'normal' refugee situation. For example, all Ukrainian children have immediately been enrolled into Irish schools, so it cannot be denied that there is increased pressure on infrastructure and services as a result of their arrival.

But in many ways, it is a separate discussion to the usual refugee arguments. The Irish government, rightly or wrongly, made an active decision to take in huge numbers of Ukrainian people and it was not really connected to our normal refugee system and set up.

I think we should have taken in Ukrainians, I am not against helping them, they are fighting for their country, now I am not going to get into the politics of involvement by the US and NATO but I think we have taken in far more than we ever should have. Of course, news travels faster than it did pre-internet. I have met many Ukrainians that now live where I am and I would say the ones I have talked to have been very nice. When the question came up of why Ireland? there was one main reason which was basically how high our social welfare is for Ukrainian refugees. Of course, it helps matters that Ireland is far from Russia but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this would be the obvious answer.

Ireland incentives refugees and asylum seekers to come here. What European leaders don't want to admit is asylum seekers view Europeans are weak and soft. They make dangerous journeys on boats because they know for nearly 99 percent of the time (yes there are cases such as Greece recently) if something happens they will be rescued.

We have every right to want controlled immigration because if we don't and we continue to go down this slope Europe will become more of a mess than it already has. It's clear and obvious Math, we cannot accommodate the world and have a good standard of living.

The Irish went abroad does not hold water anymore. Irish who immigrated in the last 20 years, let's give you Australia for example. We worked, we didn't go there and claim asylum.

Now, if you are talking about when lots left during the famine to the USA again that logic doesn't hold water because again we didn't rock into the USA and get housed with 3 meals a day. So really stop with the ''Irish'' did it. Different times and the structure of countries were different. We didn't have hospitals at the time for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭cal naughton

Very short term view you have here.

Do you expect ip applicants to stay direct provision forever? They will eventually have to leave and find suitable alternative accommodation like the rest of the population.

Of course they're linked they will be competing against people already living here for a limited supply of housing.

Houses are outrageously expensive to build now due to new regulations and i believe there is going to be even more restrictive building regs introduced soon so i can't see any government building en masse social housing.

So you are saying the people that came from a really poor country(Ireland) and bad circumstances committed crimes?

Wait, isn't a lot of asylum seekers from poor countries? If I am following your logic.

But how many (non Ukrainian) current and former refugees are there in total in Ireland.....50,000 maybe? Around 1% of the population. There's a danger that this issue is being completely overblown. 1% of the population being refugees is not an especially high percentage for any country in Europe.

• Advertisement

It's not high but is high given the time rate it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

That part is true and in fact this was happening a good decade ago, when we had virtually no refugees or asylum seekers coming to the country.

2 people moved out of their own homes to house Ukrainian refugees?

Was that an altruistic move do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know people who were told they would be put behind Ukrainian refugees for social housing despite being on council lists for many years, they even contacted their local TDs and were basically told the same

The fact is our homeless is way down the agenda, priority of the government, they prefer to try to home the incoming to look good with the EU as most want nice EU paying jobs when out of the government with also their big pensions, it would sicken you, pay your taxes, work hard and in the end, no homes, no nursing homes, retirement homes etc.,

Nope, the one I know is getting very handsomely paid.

Well there you go! Plenty of people taking advantage of the refugees to line their pockets....can hardly blame anyone about houses being given to refugees instead of rented out to full time people, when all they care about is making a few quid.

Yes that is the point. The housing of refugees and asylum seekers isn't some grand gesture by the government it's about money.

Well, the housing of anyone isn't any grand gesture by government.

But it should be, people who cannot house themselves should be housed by government. The problem is that they don't do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

What exactly is the point of taking refugees ? we've a failed health system and housing system, we can't get our own "house" in order here, yet we're pretending like we're going to do something for "refugees", whatever that is.

every few weeks there's another article about someone taking the HSE to court because they killed/maimed someone.

people pay taxes all their lives yet can't get basic help off the government that our taxes is supposed to cover, we could all list here all day things like special needs kids not getting assessed, getting the run around from civil servants etc...

So a government that won't help it's own people is allegedly full of the love for random people all over the planet??? pull the other one. it seems to be all some game. taking in the few tens or hundreds of thousands is going to achieve what exactly to better the countries they're coming from?

we only ever hear we're obliged to take people, never obliged to demand peace and prosperity for all people around the earth. this country was in the crapper for nearly a century after the english were removed, some of us foolishly thought that in the late 1990s that the country was turning a corner. but seemingly it's not.

we welcome every war criminal US president into this country, but never demand from them that they stop the slaughter.

My best guess is this immigration is tied to money flowing around the world, then there's child trafficking for $ex, drugs etc, you can't have wealthy and powerful people using children and drugs if they can't get access to them.

I dunno, smarter people than me need to explain how taking a tiny portion of people fleeing the crapper (in some cases, in others is just opportunistic criminals) but leaving most of them in these countries with whatever civil wars or alleged persecution they're facing is achieving a whole lot?

is it not our responsibility to stop injustice if it's happening in some other places, rather than putting a sticking plaster on a gaping wound. otherwise lets just leave the UN and end the facade.

i suppose someone is going to tell me the arms industry is nearly gone out of business ? what with all the lovely people in charge of things around the globe and that two of the main two countries in europe, france and germany, aren't also in the top ten of arms exporters.

Advertisement