Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, what a photo.

The Godfather with his cronies

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The galling thing for them must be that they were so close to a mandatory public service charge payable by every household regardless of TV ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

^^ like a bad debs picture. Kelly must really have been the golden goose for this shower to think pictures like these look anything other than ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The broadcasting charge will be brought in after a symbolic rolling of heads, assurances of greater oversight, restructuring and much handwringing.

It's already been said here, but get rid of 2FM, cast RTE2 into commercial abyss and ensure RTE1 produces content that is at least 65% compliant with its role as a public sector broadcaster. The likes of Dancing with the RTE stars could be fcuked in the bin as a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think Dancing with the stars is already gone.

Government will probably find alternative ways to fund them. They did it with Covid Advertisements. The HSE will probably have a few rubbish awareness campaigns on papercut infections. Government are already filtering money into media companies via "Investigative Journalism". Which of course is completely unaccountable because specific spending needs to be kept confidential on investigative journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Speak in Proverbs

It’s shocking the level of omission. If he goes down the route of base salary but not declaring your bonus to the public he might squeak out of it. If it was monthly instalments he’s toast.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

He's already admitted he "should have asked questions" after the backlash he received about his initial statement that it was all RTE's fault.

I think Dancing with the stars is already gone.

Well, that's the Toyman's comeback scuppered.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Looks more like a sale at Dunnes Stores to me!

*not sure if true but…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It was hardly a utopia pre-2000 either. But I agree with your sentiments, country is in decline and the public are paying a heavy price for incompetence and corrupt practices. However, it's not too late to turn it around.

Watching James O'Connor and Brendan Griffin (leaving politics I know) at PAC gave me hope that there are some decent folks in the ranks of the Civil War parties. The older brigade need to just **** off and stop blocking progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The Government is expected to grant powers set out in the Broadcasting Act to allow for the appointment of an auditor to review RTÉ finances.

The Cabinet is set to give the green light to the proposal, which would give Minister for Media Catherine Martin and Government direct oversight of RTÉ's accounts.

Section 109 of the Broadcasting Act enables the minister to appoint a person to examine the books or other financial records of RTÉ.

They can look back over any financial year or any other time period.

The legislation states that the person appointed must be fully assisted by the organisation.

It follows controversy surrounding the misstating of payments to presenter Ryan Tubridy.

Ryan Tubridy received €345,000 above his annual published salary over six years

RTÉ is understood to have assured Minister Martin that it will cooperate fully with any review.

The person or team appointed can be led by an accountant, auditor or any person deemed necessary.

They will be appointed if deemed necessary by an external review panel, which is due to investigate RTÉ's corporate governance and culture.

The terms of reference for that external review panel are expected to be approved by Cabinet on Tuesday.

If approved, a short process will commence before the external review panel gets to work.

Separately, RTÉ's annual report and group financial statement for 2022 were presented to Minister Martin's department on Friday.

They are currently being assessed by her department.

External Review

Work has been under way this weekend to finalise the terms of reference for an external review of RTÉ's corporate governance and culture.

It was hoped that those terms of reference would have been completed earlier this week and would have been approved by a teleconference Cabinet.

However, the Government now believes that the terms of reference merit a full Cabinet discussion and so it will be presented to them during their weekly meeting on Tuesday.

The external review is expected to take a number of months, with a panel of individuals likely to be appointed to carry it out.

While the Government is eager to have answers promptly, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar also told the Dáil this week that it would be better to do it right, rather than quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Speak in Proverbs

And what cart in their replacements from Northern Ireland who haven’t passed the Leaving Cert and train the Farc and the cartels in Colombia for amounts totalling in the tens of millions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The Labour Party's Alan Kelly told RTÉ bosses that he wants to see every bank account the organisation controls, including the barter account.

He also wants an audit of celebrity appearances on shows to see if these were "part of any deal", along with information on all talent agents.

Alan Kelly requested that a legal note related to a "Teams call", where the tri-partite commercial agreement was approved, be presented to the committee.

RTÉ's Director of Legal Affairs told the committee however that this document was protected by legal privilege.

• I believe RTE will cease as an entity, transpose into some entity like Broadcast Ireland. There be plenty of retirements & redundancies on packages, and a lot of reemployment in the successor entity. RUC transposed to PSNI without a hiatus in policing, RTE can undergo a similar transformation with the Donnybrook infrastructure, no interruption in broadcasting, just rebranding, focus on current affairs, one TV channel, although TG4 would remain. One or at most two Radio channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was going on back then too. The difference is you were blissfully unaware of it at that time. With this in mind I suspect Michael and Leo will want a new story to come along soon. They don't really want this onion peeled as it might reveal things that might be awkward for them too.

That's why you have to laugh at many of the politicians falling over themselves to be more outraged than the next one over all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Brilliant summary. I for one, as a person who doesn't engage in radical action will not renew my license. That individual act won't have a very significant impact but if replicated by a good number of people will have an impact. As for the universal charge. It might eventually come but considering the level of opposition it will entail, will not be the saviour of RTE. As for government advertising. It's plentiful at the moment as were are awash with money but as the eventual economic cycle emerges that advertising will be one of the first areas to be cut. Those factors plus the inevitable ongoing publicity about RTE finances will make it very difficult for the organisation to survive imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

This photo (and others from the same shoot) are allegedly what drove Noel Kelly's desire for privacy since then. The piece was a puff piece designed to make him look like an Irish Simon Cowell type figure, when in reality the whole thing was an embarrassment for all parties, coming in for widespread ridicule at the time. I'm glad someone posted it. A picture tells a thousand words so to speak.

The accompanying wording was equally embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Runri is another NKM stooge that did not last long here. They are all now coming out of the woodwork over the past few days trying to get this thread shut down whilst also besmirching an excellent poster.

• Advertisement

Are you taking the piss? NUJ members are members of a union and also RTE staff. Would you have NKM negotiate your next work contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A lot of people seem to be saying that when the license is up for renewal they won't pay, it will be interesting to see how this plays out and it will be another headache for both RTE and the Government because they can't take everyone to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

but they are only on that circa 100,000 because Ryan Joe and Claire are on multiples of that, so that was used as a benchmark to pull so many underlings above the 100K mark. Hopefully they publish the top 100.

There seems to be an effort by the the journos on newstalk etc to try and bury this story, there will be a big effort to get this removed as the no1 news item. Luckily the Mail and Times aswell as social media will continue digging into this

The government should get free advertising slots in return for enforcing the TV licence, maybe they could set up a transparent barter account for same?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A huge amount of people have said that to me over the last few days. I certainly won't be paying it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Oisin Smyth was on The Week in Politics earlier and said he spoke to Catherine Martin about the story in the Mail on Sunday. She told him it wasn't true.

Not sure who to trust as Martin has known about this since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

The goverment won't let RTE fold. The Irish taxpayer needs a public broadcaster and we need it to be transperant and most of all honest with the irish tax payer. I hope there is acountability but to be honest i can' t see much acounttability at the end of this disgusting saga. As we have see the board are happy to sit at any committee meeting and take the flack . They are not going to give up their cushy salary no matter what comes their way. It's us the tax payer that will foot the bill. Nothing ever changes in this country when it comes to holding those to account that have mislead the goverment and the people of Ireland.

• Noel Kelly controls a lot of what happens on that station too, he’s agent to some of the Newstalk presenters, eg Pat Kenny, Ciara Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Paid mine in May but after what has come to light over the past few weeks it will probably be the last time.

People are angry and non payment is one way ordinary folk can hit that corrupt organisation where it hurts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement