Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

He was talking about a particular qualifying group, not in general terms. Also he said it after the group ended.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Asking a journo a whether they thought they expected Ireland to qualify from the group they were drawn in AFTER the group was over I don't think in any reasonable mind could be considered "throwing the players under the bus".

Are there any more out of context quotes you have that you can pull out and manipulate and interpret to suit your agenda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Did you make these excuses for Trap or O'Neill? He didn't say it at the end of the group, he said it with 4 games left in the group. Instead of taking any responsibility himself, he placed the blame on the players. He did this as his future with Ireland was been questioned. Placing his own self preservation ahead of everything else. He's still doing it and so are his supporters.

He didn't say it when the group was over, there were 4 games left. At the same press conference he first invented the myth that he was building for 2024. This was all in an effort to save his job. He invented a tale and he did pass the blame onto the players. There's nothing out of context. I'm not sure why he's being defended here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hello. This quote seems to be from when Kenny told the media that the plan was always the Euros - he did not feel that he had enough time to implement his philosophy for the World Cup and Euro 2024 was the target. Fair enough in my view and is why he should go if and when he does not make Euro 2024 regardless of the group we ended up in. That's not bashing the players - it's just being realistic. New systems take time to bed in. Pep Guardiola, for example, led Man City to just 3rd position in his first season and we all know what happened next.

Spouting the same thing over and over is all just nonsense now, it's been done to death and he's with us until at least the next set of internationals and I'll be backing him and the team like I always do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He's not being defended by everyone, people are just picking apart your arguments, with ease.

But he wasn't building for 2024. That's nonsense. He basically picked the same team as McCarthy bar a few for the first 12 games. He just changed his tune after the Luxembourg defeat. He wasn't hired to waste opportunities to qualify for major tournaments. He create a myth and his supporters have repeated it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

IT reporting he will be gone if he fails to pick up a win in the double header in September.

You've had to resort to a comment like that because you can't argue with my posts. He placed the blame on the players, I've backed that up, you've just made inaccurate posts.

• Advertisement

I have argued your posts, everyone has argued with your posts. You've spent weeks now ranting about "Kenny fanatics", revisionism of previous managers, taking quotes out of context and even suggesting a manager defending himself after frankly repeated very unfair attacks from certain journalists was a "mental breakdown" and not once suggested a viable alternative to the current manager.

There's only one person fanatic about Kenny in here.

I'm not sure why they're waiting till then. It's been obvious for a long time that he's in way above his head. I just hope they have someone lined up because there won't be much time for the new manager after September if we get a playoff.

I'm a fanatic about Ireland. This last 3 years have been horrible. We're further from a major tournament than we have been for over 40 years. This manager has dragged us down to also rans. While he's been doing this, his supporters have been singing his name. You haven't argued my posts because you can't. The facts beat you every time. That's why you're trying to drag this off topic and try to put the focus on the messenger. It's very obvious.

'The association is believed to have included a break clause in the Irish manager’s two-year contract extension, which can be triggered if the team cannot qualify from Group B before Greece comes to Dublin on October 13th.'

This is taken from the Irish Times article. I suppose it explains why he's not gone now with the Women's squad announcement also. Highly unlikely to get anything from France away but Holland at home are beatable, they're in a bit of a mess. He'll be gone if he doesn't win that.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/06/29/stephen-kenny-faces-sack-if-ireland-dont-pick-up-points-in-september-qualifiers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Sack him now and the new manager would face a very tricky double header.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

According to Romano Coleman has signed another year at Everton - I admit I thought he was gone after Wales - but great to get another year, the real leader at everton - can see him going into coaching/manager if Dyche gets in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah that's great, delighted for him! In the moment of that injury it looked a real possibility it might've been a forced retirement. For his own sake, he's probably better off not trying to stretch his career out too long, so the perfect way to step back would be at the club where he's a legend and talisman. As you say, it's ideal for him to step into management then... seems like he'd have the right appetite, aptitude, and attitude for that.

Yes but a chance to give the new manager a massive boost, if they lost it would be expected anyway. I don't see the point in waiting till September to sack Kenny but that's where we are. I think most of the fans are looking forward to starting a new era, the Kenny one has been fairly poisonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Stephen Kenny has had an unprecedentedly low bar for competence in his job.

He has delivered what was asked of him in two qualifying campaigns. Cap young players and don't kick long balls.

Ultimately, for me it comes down to whether it's better to go into a really tough fixture with an inconsistent level of preparedness, or to not really have any preparation at all. There's just no time for a new person to do anything with the players before these games, so they'd really be there as a figurehead only. Kenny's been dodge, but at least the players can go into that window knowing what their collective game plan is - which for these bigger fixtures has been an alright plan. This window still has stakes attached, so whatever gains we can take in we should. If this was a window with more time to train before the games - like the last one - my opinion might well be different, but we are where we are.

If Kenny doesn't pull off a huge result, then get the new guy in, and the rest of the campaign is just a training run for them to get their tactics embedded over the two following windows so they can start the following campaign on a solid footing.

• Advertisement

O I have read your posts all right and again given how you lied and suggested something I simply never said. You indeed said McCarthy had a worse squad than Kenny in an erroneous attempt to argue that my opinion that this current Ireland squad is the worst from an overall talent standpoint since the early 1970's. Unquestionably I have not backed up your incorrect claim that McCarthy's squad was worse. In this regard you are either being disingenuous or your outright lying again. Most of the players that were premier division players during McCarthy's second time as boss dropped down to the championship level by the time Kenny took over. Or in James McCarthy's case he could never really stay fit. So without doubt the squad in terms of its overall quality level deteriorated further. Certainly Kenny has brought into the senior term a fair number of younger players. Other then Bazunu this season at Southampton, Collins to an extent and then Ferguson at Brighton in the second half of this season none of whom can in any way shape or form be described as premier division regulars. Most are lower division players and certainly none not even Bazunu, Collins and Ferguson are proven established top level players. Hopefully and the early signs are positive Ferguson will grow into a truly top level performer and despite a chastening first season at premier division level I think Bazunu could still grow into a good top level keeper although he is now playing in the second tier. I like Collins as well and think he could reach the levels of say a Richard Dunne. But thats all potential and hope for the further and even that is not exactly a flood of young players that is really going to fundamentally change the level of quality or lack thereof in our national team squad any time soon.

Now again you are lying when you said : "I never said anything about your opinion on Kenny". In reply to my earlier post you said "Blaming the players because a manager is completely out of his depth isn't on". So yes you did lie and claim I said something about Kenny which I did not. To quote again.

" I never said Kenny was or was not out of his depth so don't try and lie and suggest I said something like that when I did not. All I have done is point out that our current squad is and has been for a few years now at a very low ebb quality wise and that this is the chickens coming home to roost so to speak when it comes to the FAI's total abdication for decades to properly develop the necessary infrastructure both physical and coaching wise and development pathways to develop our best players as well as utterly failing to maximize the massive potential the game has overall from top to bottom within Ireland."

I didn't lie. I wasn't talking about you, get over yourself.

You said Kenny had the same squad as McCarthy had. Is Bazunu a worse player than a few months ago because he's in the championship now? Is Egan a better player because he's back in the premier league? Ridiculous. Kenny had the same squad and then had the emergence of Bazunu, Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele, Molumby, Knight, Smallbone, Cullen (huge improvement since going to Anderlecht), Obefami (making a return), Idah and of course Ferguson. As I said, same squad + new talent = better squad.

So our squad is not the worst since the 70's, it's better than it was for our previous manager. (This next part is not about you in case you get offended again) insulting our players in order to defend an incapable manager is really bad form. These lads are not as bad as has been made out. A good manager would be getting far more from them. And they are better than most teams we have played under Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

Has anyone really been over criticising the players?

Kenny said once that we shouldn’t have an expectation to qualify for the WC. He’s not wrong, that’s not any criticism of our players - we’ve failed to qualify for world cups for decades now and with far more experienced squads. So saying that qualification to a tournament we don’t qualify for with a young inexperienced squad is unrealistic is hardly controversial. The WC campaign was all about giving these players sone experience and targeting the Euros for qualification.

He’s likely going to be gone after the Holland game if the Irish times are to be believed, so I hope the FAI have some more inspiring names then the ones being floated around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Sean Moore has signed for West Ham

You did lie multiple times now at this point. Now that you have repeatedly being called out for your lies I see you have gone over to insults as well.

I did not say McCarthy and Kenny had the same squad another lie. You claimed falsely McCarthy's squad was worse I simply showed that was not the case by off the top of my head naming more premier division players on McCarthy's squad.

You are of course free to have your own opinion on our squads overall talent level. If you want to make statements about what other people have said then stop replying to my posts and post whatever statement it is your going to claim.

As for being offended no worries on that score at all. Following your recent posts on this threat has rather given me a good laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hopefully turns out to be a good move long term. Looked quality at times playing for Cliftonville last season. Didn't get many minutes for the U19s back in March but was carrying a knock going into the window and we've got a settled U19s with quality players in Zefi and Vata competing with him. Still will have to compete against them as all three are still eligible for the U19s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Amazed he is hanging on at Everton, to be honest I think Coleman is lucky that Everton are struggling financially so can't have a clear out.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I didn't lie or insult you. Not sure what posts you are reading. You said Kenny inherited McCarthy's squad, that means that same squad. Is Egan now a better player than he was a few months ago when he was in the championship? I rest my case. So Kenny had the same squad plus a whole list of breakthroughs, returning players and improving players like Cullen. This means he has had access to a better squad. I know you're not happy that these facts destroy your worst squad since the 70's claim but I'm not sure what you want me to do about that. You're clearly triggered for some reason, I'm not sure why but I'll do yourself and everyone else a favour by putting you on ignore. Have a good weekend. 😊

Sean Moore has a Paddy McCourt feel about him. Hopefully his move works out, we need the flair players.

You did lie. You made a claim that I suggested Kenny was out of his depth which I did not. To quote again I said:

"All I have done is point out that our current squad is and has been for a few years now at a very low ebb quality wise and that this is the chickens coming home to roost so to speak when it comes to the FAI's total abdication for decades to properly develop the necessary infrastructure both physical and coaching wise and development pathways to develop our best players as well as utterly failing to maximize the massive potential the game has overall from top to bottom within Ireland."

In your last reply directly to me you then added in an insult. To quote you said:

"get over yourself"

It would seem your mentioning of triggering is some projection on your part given it seems you cannot face up to be called out when you lie. For me personally I find your posts entertaining in a somewhat amusing way.

As for what posts I am reading well the answer is yours. Which contained the above lie and insult.

As for inheriting squads when I talked about McCarthy's squad it was because you falsely claimed McCarthy's squad was worse then Kenny's after I had stated that IMHO the current squad was our worst since the early 1970's. You pointed out that Kenny had 6 premier division players off the top of my head I mentioned 7 for McCarthy with another 2 that admittedly I was not sure were or were not top division players at the time. Sadly some of those players faded or started to decline and drop down a division as Kenny took over as well as James McCarthy rarely being fit. Kenny has indeed over his time in charge brought in numerous younger players to replace and change the make up of the squad. So far I like the looks of Collins I think he has the potential to reach the levels of Richard Dunne as a center back. Evan Ferguson has obviously literally just emerged over the past season and looks like the big hope in terms of Ireland having a genuine top draw player for the first time in while. Although obviously Ferguson is still just a teenager with potential rather then an established top player but the signs look positive there. Bazunu in goal has had a rough go the past 12 months but I still think he has the potential to be a solid top level keeper in time. No question Josh Cullen has improved and done well over the past couple of years and now that next season he will be playing in the epl it will be interesting to see how he does given at 27 he will be entering what should be his peak career years. Now certainly your entitled to your opinion that the squad Kenny has is better then McCarthy's. I don't although it is certainly not like McCarthy's squad was some halcyon era to put it mildly either. The "whole list of breakthroughs" to quote you again include some players with potential but very little so far that is established and proven as top division quality so I would not be using the word breakthroughs in such sweeping broad strokes IMHO. Time will tell how the younger players brought into the squad under Kenny do but for now it is too early to say although IMHO Ferguson, Collins and Bazunu look like the best hopes in terms of players who can become genuine top division talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Not exactly completely Irish related but Liam Delap has joined Hull City on loan for the season.

Still only 20, he does seem intent on representing England but always a possibility he could switch allegiances down the line.

Hopefully has his Irish citizenship sorted out because he likely becomes ineligible if it's not and he plays for England U21s after he turns 21 in Feb. Though watching Delap last season and the lad wasn't up to much. It's no surprise why England have approached Cannon.

The rule that initially ruled Ryan Johansson ineligible for us hasn't fully gone away they just tweaked it. Rather than players having to have the nationality before making their first competitive appearance at any level a player can now change to a new national team even if they did not hold that nationality at the time of their first appearance for their old national team, as long as they last played for the old national team before the age of 21.

Not that he was gonna ever play for us but Anthony Gordon is likely now ineligible for us unless he sorted out his Irish citizenship before playing for England U21s after turning 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Sky reporting a deal has been agreed and Collins will undergo a medical in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Brentford seem to be a very well run club so hopefully proves to be a very good move for Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Strange comment. Coleman if anything has been too loyal to Everton. Earlier in his career he had opportunities to go to Man United and PSG among others and if he had pushed for a move it would have happened. Everton owe him a lot and this extension isn't just a reward for loyalty either; towards the end of last season he was still making telling contributions which helped to keep them up.

Good that his price has stayed the same (risen a hair), so he's still being well valued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah bits and bobs. Coleman is gone as a top player though, more of a talisman dressing room type these days. Only reason I suppose he is still there, that and Everton are struggling financially.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Now holds the 1st and 2nd spot for most expensive transfer fees for an Irish player. Think he's now Brentford's record signing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Carsley with another fine win today over Portugal to put England u21s into the euro semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

U21 international Alex Gilbert is set to join Middlesbrough on a permanent deal from Brentford.

Their biggest challenge so far, Portugal looked the better team with more chances for a lot of it, just couldn't finish. Maybe the best two teams in it.

Would expect an England Spain final from here, with England faves.

From an Irish point of view, Israel now into the semi finals - Israel only barely scraped past us on pens in the playoffs.

Carsley should be our man. It doesn't really matter what happens with the u21 championship. I'm hoping England don't win but I like how Carsley sets up his team's. Read the article below. He's able to admit when he needs to improve and works on it. I'm sold, he's attainable, let's get him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12216475/amp/England-21-boss-Lee-Carsleys-astonishing-admission-early-days-manager.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

He did score a massive goal in the Everton-Leeds game, one of the proverbial "6-pointers".

• Advertisement

Hopefully turns out to be a good move for him. Was linked with Wolves and Forest. Sean Roughan has decided to remain at Lincoln and signed a new two year contract. Long term probably a good move for him as he wants to play more at CB and any move away from Lincoln likely would be teams looking at LB/LWBs.

Was surprised by Portugal as they've looked meh in the group stages. Took a last minute penalty in the final game for them to scrape into the QFs.

That semi final appearance now also qualifies them for the Olympics next summer. Good couple of years for them at underage level. Runners up at the U19 Euros which qualifed them for the U20 WC, they finished 3rd in the WC beating the likes of Brazil in the QF, and now into the last four of the U21 Euros.

They've also been working with UEFA as part of their Elite Youth Academy Programme the last few years and have set up a full time national academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’m surprised at the calls for Carsley, a man with less managerial experience than Kenny, who’s currently doing pretty well with an extremely talented under 21 side which is a job on the opposite end of the spectrum to what the Ireland job is.

It seems to me that his main qualification is that he’s not Kenny. For me, I don’t see him doing any better than we currently are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

What do you like about the way he sets up his team?

In fairness, I think many will try to run down anyone who's not Kenny. Carsley is definitely not a proven manager but he's been involved with some excellent set ups, has learned from them, worked hard and is ready for a senior role. It just depends where that will be.

He's affordable, ex Irish international, available soon, has hunger to achieve, plays a good style, is able to communicate, has links to very good coaching staff, he ticks a lot of boxes. He's not the ideal candidate but we don't have 2 million plus to pay for them. Let's go get him, he'd be a big step up on the current manager.

It's an attractive style but defensively sound from what I've seen. Tries to get the full backs forward, likes to give creative players a bit of freedom. I think he's worth a go. He'll be trying extra hard to make up for the handball incident which is another plus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement