Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

His control and influence in our national broadcaster is actually a threat to our democracy.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Did anyone notice that posts by certain biased posters are being deleted. They make a stupid comment and delete it.

Actually how does one delete a post?

ButtersSuki, what would you like to see in terms of reform/restructuring of RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

No it isn't. He is an agent that looks after the contracts of his clients

If they all had the same accountant would you say the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

If the main players are served justice - RT, NK, DF, O'Leary and whoever else acted the magoo, are cut from the station and we get the truth of the account and transactions in detail and proper systems are put in place, I'll pay my license fee.

I would love to see a salary cap and a real person as DG - not a corporate person who has silver spoons out the wazoo. A person with real experience of living and working in Ireland. Not some oxbridge head. I think we've had enough of people who come from institutions/places/cultures who think they're better than everyone else. These are people who use RTE as a lifestyle and a stepping stone for greater things for THEMSELVES. We need someone who prizes journalism and wants to create a great station for Ireland - for everyone - not just D4-West Cork-Barna silverspoon culture.

• Advertisement

If they reform RTE then I will pay again, if they do nothing then I would expect the majority should not pay till we get reform. I have paid in March so it will be a few months so plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 55,454 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Thousands a posts on the thread, but this one takes the biscuit. Bravo, Cluedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Talk about how to change RTE seems premature to me.

As it stands we actually only know about a few of the dodgy deals. I fully expect that if the government do their jobs and order a forensic review, that there will be a lot more examples of even more serious malpractice still to be discovered. What comes out of that investigation will dictate what is needed at RTE, and if it gets bad enough then dissolving RTE may indeed be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

Good God, is that real (I'm a bit behind, sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

Kelly and Tubridy should do themselves a favour and go before the PAC. If they don’t they will be compelled to attend and the committee will go after them savagely. Mind you that’s an outcome I’d be very happy with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Speak in Proverbs

You mean underqualified people who sob about being victims and haven’t done the hard work to advance up the ladder? And those people who think they are better by getting into institutions where MERIT weeds out the people who didn’t do the hard work, are enforcing repayment for their hard work and achievements. Not to be overthrown by a bunch of criminals who’ve never worked a day in their lives and do nixers. Make the sacrifices early in life and you won’t be left at the bottom of the ladder.

least 65% compliant 

I see what you did, there. Allowed 35% commission to the Barter agency 😀😀😀

I doubt the Government would be able to plan that in three days - more likely three years*, and then it's ditched anyway

• I'm being generous, to say the least

Sitting in front of the PAC for Kelly would be a disaster, they would start asking questions and his contracts etc which he can't answer. If he did then he would lose his customers. By not answering the questions he would ruin his name as well.

Better off staying away now

Tubs the same, either he decides to go in lying and hope nobody finds out. Or tells the truth and totally ruin his career. Like first question is

"Why did you quit the Late Late just days after the CFO and Dee Forbes got notified the slush fund was going to be an issue"?

If he says nobody tipped him off the concern is someone comes out and says yes I did

If he says he was tipped off, then everyone knows he is up to neck in dodgy deals.

Sit it out and wait for it to blow over will be what both are doing, especially when you have the Indo trying to say more than 50% of people want him back on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SteM

The people that always paid their license up to now and just stop will be easy to go after. Easy to track down and generally compliant, they'll pay once a bit of pressure is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Iecrawfc

The best way imo would be to decentralise it, keep a smaller campus in Dublin but sell 1/2 to 2/3 of Donnybrook, create an RTE Munster in Limerick or Cork, TG4 in Galway to be expanded and given children's programming - those campuses + Virgin can bid for public service grants to make programming in public interest - cuts out the nepotism and introduces an element of competition, you can't pay 500k to a presenter for a few hours work if your sister station could do it cheaper in Cork or Virgin can do it without the overheads, also spin off RTE player to a proper technology company so they can get it working or start from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Iecrawfc

It's the only way to get the government to consider reforming it. Make no mistake, despite the feigned outrage, the politicians would just as much prefer the status quo to stay, its only with direct action like this that the government will get off their backsides and do something

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nothing ever changes in this country when it comes to holding those to account that have mislead the goverment and the people of Ireland.

erm, what do you think is happening right now with RTE?

This kind of trope about Ireland gets boring very quickly because it is clearly untrue

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I didn't think you could be compelled to attend a committee? I don't see why NK or RT would attend just to get a public beat down. I wouldn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,454 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactly. A committee pretending they care and playing to the gallery and grandstanding.

most a them up to their own necks in expenses and allowances and perks and benefits and riding the same gravy train..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well no its doesn't mean 93% believe he is not to blame. It depends on the question asked. If it was just a multiple choice question who do you think is most to blame I would pick Dee Forbes first but still say RT and NK are to blame.

However if I can only pick 1 and no follow up question which seems here, it would seem I am only blaming 1 person

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, it's from an old Sunday Independent article.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

On the evidence so far...

NK would sail through PAC, he's only guilty of running rings around RTE. The RTE Execs are incompetent and the RTE Board, for some unknown reason, decided to deliberately (helpfully?) ignore NK's contracts - see Moya Doherty's repeated declarations that her Remuneration Committee would NOT check the talent's contracts!  

Tubs is only guilty of being greedy and two-faced ("be kind to each other"!) and that will keep him off the airwaves for the forseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 13 xulon123

Pre-revolutionary France 1789. A room in the palace of Versailles. A large window with ceiling to floor length brocade curtains. A bulge shows someone hiding behind them.

A figure stands at the window dressed like king Louis XVI.

King Joe 'Will yis come outta dat? Ids bin ten days now - ya hafta come out - ya can't keep hidin

Queen Tubs ' I can't. I can't face anyone. I can't face them.

King Joe 'Bud wha did you say .....wha did you say ta dem?

Queen Tubs ' I can't remember ... it could have been let them eat cake ...or ... I took a salary cut.

King Joe ' An wad did dey say ...oi meaan...wad did dey say...we know wad you sed bud wad did dey say?

Queen Tubs ' Dey sed ...I mean... they said fine, thats fine.

King Joe 'So waddya worryin aboud den? Come outta de coirtin.

Figure emerges, Ryan dressed as Marie-Antoinette, crying, wringing hands and distraught.

King Joe 'For Gawds sakes, pull yerseff tageddir man'

Queen Ryan 'I'm not a man, I'm a woman'

King Joe ( catches him by the shoulder, shaking him) 'No yer naw, say aafder me... I a Tubs.. I am a man'

Queen Ryan ' I am Tubs...I am a man'

King Joe 'Louder. I AM TUBS'

Queen Ryan 'I AM TUBS'.

Enter Noel Kelly dressed as Rasputin.

King Joe ' Why aare ya dressd loike Razpudin?'

Noel Kelly ' Cause like him I'm an advisor, an agent'

Queen Ryan 'Actually thats quite good, makes me look innocent'

King Joe ' Hang on hang on hang on, bud yoire in de wrong cendury...Razspuuudin was in de toime of pre-revultuutionery Russia nod France. Oi know me hisdory'

Noel Kelly 'But the peasants don't. Curly fries, chicken mcnuggets, mcflurries, goldfish memories, lets not overtax their brain with too much information.

King Joe 'Hang on hang on hang on ....hang on....be a bid more respecdful .. oi'm a bid of a peasand meself.

Noel Kelly ' Were' Joe 'were'. On nearly 400 grand a year I'd say you were royalty, wouldn't you?'

King Joe 'Ya have a pint dere' ( all 3 laugh)

Noel Kelly ' Can we drop you off anywhere, on the way to the PAC?'

All 3 exit stage left, chuckling.

King Joe '

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Doc07

0.5/10, must try harder, maybe your heart is just not in this defence anymore 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

The rte highest earner WhatsApp group chat is on fire these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement