Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it the end of the road for 2FM as we know it?

• 02-07-2023 11:12am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Reported in this morning's Mail on Sunday that in the realm of "never waste a good crisis", the Govt are proposing splitting RTE's PSB and commercial functions into separate entities. As part of this, reference is made to selling off 2FM.

IMO all things considered, 2FM as it is is no longer sustainable in the current and future environment. It lacks a clear identity, and also there's debate as to whether a market of Ireland's size needs a 2FM targeting youth listenership alongside the 6 youth stations.

Interesting to see what'll happen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Selling off 2FM raises a huge amount of questions tbh .. it’s not nearly as simple as soundbite politicians would have us believe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This thread is an excellent platform on which to discuss such questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yep (And I Feel Fine)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Raisin d’etre gone - Spin etc has taken over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

2FM wages are to be capped at 175k apparently. I haven't turned on 2FM in 20 years I'd say and 2 Johnies are the only show I'm aware of, but what presenters are anywhere near this sort of money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Do you really trust the Fail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I think the domestic radio waves have suffered immensely since the decline of pirate radio. The entire airwaves are monopolised by Denis O'Brien and the Donnybrook goon club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭nomoedoe

I think its wages across RTE to be capped at 175k and 2FM sold off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

Doireann Garrihy and Carl Mullan use Noel Kelly as an agent so you could ask questions about what they're earning. Jennifer Zamperelli is probably their highest profile presenter now, so she's probably doing well too. After that, I guess the Two Johnnies?

Even if they don't sell off 2FM for now (even though I think they should), I can't see it lasting the distance. At some point in the future, RTE is going to have to be shrunk down to a fraction of its current size. I see its future as a much smaller, public service broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Agreed. Growing up listening to primarily 2FM but later tge independents, each presenter had their own personality and style and a flair. I think the independents were the start of the rot in that by 89 the people on air on those wouldn’t have done a lot of pirate radio. Still they were good and making a mark for themselves with a personality. Now I can’t tell the difference between most stations as they sound so similar with trendy young guy or girl bawling on about twitter or what the Kardashian’s are up to and contact them if you ever dropped the car keys down the jacks.

I know a good few have probably cut their teeth ion media courses or worse still been hired because they haddock loads of social media followers but it doesn’t make for good radio.

Back in the day there was genuine appointment radio. Fanning for all out indie. G Ryan fur a good variety of musuc shd craic and Cagney always sounded like he did a great show but I was still in my early teens so wouldn’t have gotten away with listening post midnight.

Let’s face it, even the music being played is homogenised now. Growing up 2FM played a wide variety of stuff. It was good fir me as a music fan. It got me into stuff I’d never have found on my own. Now you have to switch stations to find one dedicated to your style of music. Yesterday I had a listen to Pick of tge Pops on BBC R2. The chart to get covered was from 1978 but it was interesting. Punk sitting side by side with disco, east listening, oddball 70s novelty tracks and some hard rock. Much more varied than charts these days.

I think I was just lucky to catch the end of the golden age of radio.

• Advertisement

FM104, Q102, Radio Nova, Classic Hits, Sunshine, the community stations aren't.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nor are Today FM, Spin, 98FM and Newstalk since 2021

There are glimpses of brilliance, even within current options.

Culturally it has to compete with new mediums such as the internet etc. So does the contemporary music industry. But having only 2 major producers has saturated the waves with a less than transparent propaganda, advertising and other marketing or commercial drivel.

In fairness, as 2fm is focused on a younger demographic, it should be acceptable for fogies to move with their times. people try to put us down etc. i would imagine many 80's kids would be tuning into the likes of the Mystery train or pet sounds etc. I still like listening to the radio, but the radio as a medium will need to evolve or devolve.

What alarms me most is that the Donnybrook goons don't seem to have a plan for attracting younger audiences, or if they have ,it is not working very well? When you see how BBC radio has expanded and reinforced itself domestically, it is a shame to see how little foresight has been exercised by both the state and the goons. I might add that whilst Denis O'Brien is not a good influence, he was let walk right in there and swipe it all up. the response from the Broadcasting Authority, was the perennial shoulder shrug that any government agency is guaranteed to drop the ball with? There is no plan for domestic radio and that is the way the State want it, when the stakeholders want to offer an opinion they will be told what opinion to offer.....

Losing Gerry Ryan was pinnacle, he would have seen it coming. Thank god for Marty Whelan, small mercies in an avalanche of bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

The national youth license should be put up for sale and sold to Spin. Dan Healy already said last year that 2fm don’t try to compete in Dublin because of Spin’s dominance with the youth audience. Spin should be allowed to take a national youth license to provide radio that young people actually listen to.

And if they do, I hope they play more Irish artists' music and less of that American/English crap. Artists like Robert Grace could do with more airplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Denny61

The two Johnny's are the only decent show on rte radio 2. Rest are only city slickers and young people in cities or towns no way listen to them .verbal diarrhoea about stupid random topics..the 2 johnnys reach out to rural and urban and don't try to be patronising..or forced

What percentage of Irish music would you want to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

as i have said before, selling off 2fm would be pointless and bring nothing new or worth while, it would simply be selling something for the sake of selling something to generate cash that won't last.

then there is the case of what exactly would be sold off?

the brand? who would want it.

the studios? will remain with RTE to be used for whatever.

the transmission network? would be stupidity to sell a national network.

change it's remit absolutely, that is clearly needed now, it can be a space for minority styles of music that won't be catered to legally.

will never generate a profit or have huge listenership certainly but will actually provide a public service.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I hate them, they are excruciating, but I am not supposed to like them, kids are.... and in that regard they are doing their job.... if Irish teenagers like them that is?

Craig Doyle is charmless, he is worse than Colin Farrell and George Michael flirting at the bar.

RTE is a Wendy house waiting for the wolf to blow it down.

50% at the very least.

For some reason the big American/English artists don't have the same appeal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

2fm is so awful I can't bring myself to write about it.

But I will say, in the interests of openness and transparence, it is vital that details of Dan Healy's salary are published.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I may not be a fan of RTÉ 2fm - or, in fairness, part of their target market - but I think that for the national broadcaster to sell it off would both be a mistake (cutting out an important part of their service) and just not the solution to their financial problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭spuddy

It is loss making, it doesn't provide a public service & licence payers are keeping it afloat. Speaks volumes about RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Dana Bumpy Warehouse

Lottie Ryans freaking out as her meal ticket could be finally up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They'd put her on Primetime or Oireachtas TV just to have her do something and try and justify giving her the guts of 200k a year

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

No loss if it goes seriously it has no public service role as it is currently run - low hanging fruit if. RTE want to Lowe costs- as is RTE2 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

She just not up to it she cant help it rte signed her up for her name the same way they do with all there stars thank god there is no way back for tubs even 2fm wouldnt touch him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

2fm is absolutely irrelevant, trying to appeal to a market segment that does not listen to radio. The future of all broadcasting really is the blue rinse brigade and people over 40, so it’s just going to get harder for various stations to survive. No one wants to listen to drivel anymore and 2fm is full of it. Sell it off, won’t be missed.

id love to see how much she earns (seen between 50-80g) as she does the job of a newsreader/intern...if its sold off, her role is gone, as the sympathy card for her old man has long worn off (and she's only seen as a pity hire/point of ridicule online)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I remember seeing 150k touted before. Now that may have been on one of the many threads here over they years on RTE/2FM, I can't remember. But in light of recent events, would it be that surprising?

Wouldnt be and would be a bigger scandal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

@squonk I just want to pick you up on one point you made in your post. In 1989, most of the people on air on music stations, both independent stations and 2FM, had come from pirate radio, and many of them had done a lot of it. Your statement would be a bit closer to the truth now in 2023 because so many of the younger presenters now did not come though pirates. That said, many of the older audience-leaning independents like Radio Nova, Sunshine 106.8 and Q102 would have quite a few presenters that came via the pirate route because of the ages of the presenters!

Otherwise, I would agree with most of what you said in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Lord Nelson

This could be a timely coincidence. The new media commission have stated in their work document issued in June, that they will be looking at the feasibility of licensing a new national station and/or an Irish language youth station. Remains to be seen as the document mirrors the old BAI one insofar as it’s a load of aspirational, meaningless claptrap. One thing they are excited about is increasing their employee roster from the current 50 to 160. Another bloated quango led by people with no vision unfortunately. Expect more of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This.

Young people don't listen to radio, unless they hear it in the background at home when their parents have it on, or in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It would be shocking to hear if Lottie Ryan is on any more than 50k, but the way NKM seem to control Rte I wouldn't be surprised.

But 150k, couldn't see that. But it's rte, you never know.

When they publish the Top 100, we'll see.

• Advertisement

I want to know what Lottie Ryan does in a standard day at work. From all I can tell, she talks about one or two entertainment stories every hour. Finding a new story to talk about surely can’t take an entire hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

She keeps herself busy around the campus.

Today's Indo:

Thanks Declan. It makes sense. Definitely the guys presenting on Clare FM back in 89 were very professional and had a style to each of them. Pirates weren’t a thing in the west of Ireland that I remember. I did hear them when visiting the cousins in Dublin so I think from my experience they wee confined to the cities. Thanks for clarifying!

Nothing screams not having enough to do in the day job than doing nixers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

2fm has long always struck me as youth radio according to your middle aged auntie who is "down with the kids" (by her own determination).

Look at BBC Radio 1 - if you're to try and define it, what is it? It's a brand. It's no longer a radio station. Sure, it has a national FM network, but it just as much a streaming provider, a podcast platform, a curated streaming provider, it has closely linked digital genre stations, it's an event (Big Weekend, Ibiza Weekend), it's a way to get your up and coming band or production known mainstream or to listen to music before it hits anywhere else because they play a lot of emerging artists in their playlists. You'll hear accents from all corners of the UK. You'll hear presenters from all walks of life. Best of all - no ads.

You might never listen to the FM broadcast in your life, but chances are most of its target audience will have an awareness of BBC Radio 1.

Compare that to 2FM - beyond the FM broadcast, what does it provide? Little to nothing. If you don't listen to the FM broadcast, chances are you won't have any awareness whatsoever of its existence. No surprise therefore that it's listener and engagement figures is rock bottom.

No identifiable PSB value. No cooperation or cross-scheduling and promotion with Pulse, 2XM or Chill. What it does cross-promote, mainly Dancing with the Stars, is of absolutely no interest to what it's target audience should be. No events or weekends. It's the same Beat/iRadio/Spin playlist, still interspersed with ads, but with lots of inane waffle and "bantz" presented largely by individuals from the one catchment area that is by far tuning elsewhere. Plays no more emerging or Irish music than their commercial rivals.

If RTE wanted to seriously reboot 2FM to a modern station, I'd love to see it bring it back under the RTÉ brand as Radio 2. Keep the Top 40 format but presentation is at least equally (if not exclusively?) as gaeilge. No ads. Push Irish and emerging artists heavily. Tie in with national events like Seachtain na Gaeilge, Pride, St. Patrick's Festival, festivals like Longitude, Forbidden Fruit, etc. through outside broadcasts. Offer something different to Spin/iRadio/Beat. Make a station that you might actually get the youth to listen to when studying for their Irish Junior or Leaving Cert paper (RnaG, without disrespect to it, is not going to engage them) and then have all the side content like BBC Radio 1 have done to keep them engaged.

It can't be any worse than what's on air at the moment (nor, frankly, could it cost any more) but at least you'd see a clear public service remit with some hope of positive engagement from its target audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wouldn't be surprised if she also has a researcher or 2 working with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

2fm comes across as a radio station for the young but designed by a committee with an average age of 63.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any radio station has a massive problem attracting youth and the key advertising age demographic where advertisers pay well is 18-24.

No youth and 18-24 listen to radio unless they have a daily car commute. A lot of the younger generation don't drive, are poor college students, and probably don't have a radio where they live.

Many may have Bluetooth speakers or streaming TVs, none of which easily get 2FM. Times have moved on and the youth watch Instagram and whatever app is latest. Short clips have replaced long format. Even those really into music may have Spotify, those big into talk have podcasts. Myself an older man now listens to podcasts or YouTube converted podcasts while driving. I can't do a 1 hour drive and listen to news, news again, ads, talk, music, ads, "comedy" , celebrity gossip , and competitions on commercial stations.

2FM was created to hinder pirates.

They could sell the brand, (new owners would probably rebrand), the nationwide licence and frequencies and network, but I can't see much interest except from existing stations to expand their team and not keep any RTE staff beyond one or two names that draw an existing audience.

The comparison to BBC Radio 1 was very relevant, they are much more youth focussed, and much more cutting edge while being popular. That said their budget is many times 2FMs.

It's costing the public money to run, serves no purpose, and is dead already but being propped up by outside cash.

There is endless competition from the internet, streaming platforms, content creators and apps, and the battle is long lost. It's like having a youth newspaper in shops.

IMO there are 3 options. "Selling off" doesn't make a whole pile of real world sense given it's a loss making entity with no assets apart from frequency allocations.

1. Keep 2FM going as is
    2. Repurpose the network for a different RTE service
    3. Shut down the network and let the Media Commission allocate the frequencies outside of RTE

1 - The status quo. Likely to be a big issue if RTE have to cut back substantially, or 2FM isn't designated PSB and have to be funded commerically. Until last week, 2FM may have been politically difficult to address but they have an opportunity to do so now.

2 - Ireland is a small market radio wise. The youth stations (Beat/i/Spin) have eaten 2FM's lunch since the first one launched in 2003. 2FM has horrendous listenership in Dublin. It tries to be a youth station but tries to be a jack of all trades at times (Dave Fanning until recently, Game On in the evenings). Perhaps RTE Gold or something else would work better on 90-92FM? The dwindling listenership would suggest that things are only going to get worse so perhaps it's time to put it out of its misery. 2FM is no BBC Radio 1.

3 - This is a whole new debate. Lots of high power clear frequencies nationwide that would be definitely of interest to some operators. Perhaps not for another youth station but someone may take a chance on a commercial RTE Gold type service? Or perhaps Classic Hits/Radio Nova go truly nationwide? The infrastructure for such a service would be ready to go in the morning, so no major capital outlay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's almost unsaleable at the moment. Loss making and no buyers

Bauer would not be allowed buy it

Newscorp would only play fire sale prices

Only other logical options might be Global entering the market, or the Irish Times buying it - they own WLR and Beat still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

As it currently stands it makes no sense, they have sod all listernership in the maeket segments they think they're "competing" in (getting killed by Spin/i/Beat)

Weird scheduling (Game On?)

No public service remit.

High overhead and waste.

Shut it down.

Maybe 2FM and RTÉ Gold should swap, the former becomes a DAB station and the latter gets an FM license?

RTE'S DAB network is no more so 2fm going DAB won't happen.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

agreed, however i can't see those 2 possibilities happening either to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement