Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

RTE won’t be closed down. A well funded public service broadcaster is a core component of a mature democracy like Ireland.

The hysterical screeching of angry middle-aged bores on Twitter to close it down is really amusing to read. The permanently outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

that was brilliant from "Yes minister" about polling. The polling is done by media companies who have a vested interest in getting this story buried therefore it is in their interests to get a sympathetic poll regarding the RTE scandal. If the government comes down heavy on RTE and breaks it up it affects all journos and media people, so they want the status quo to remain as much as possible.

An acquaintance of mine did a year stint on the Citizens assembly, I was curious as to how he was selected for that, he said a polling agency rang him for a poll they were doing and they got talking then she asked him would he like to be on the citizen's assembly. So it looks like the citizens assembly is not random at all but hand picked to get people that are sympathetic to the topics that they will discuss usually liberal social issues. It also explains why defence and neutrality were not given to the citizen's assembly to discuss because the government knew that the citizens assembly is very left wing as thats how it was selected

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

But you do not know that.

NK and RT will appear before a committee and we will hopefully find out. Yes, RTE are incompetent and the board are mainly interested in looking after themselves, but with that knowledge on board, we do not yet know if NK didn't suggest it himself and set it up with his own connections. RTE still should not have signed off on it, but it does not mean NK walks away scot free.

I am most interested in GOL. Most often heard saying "I will have to look into that for you" the other day. She seems to be the tie-in for the sponsors and the agreements for cars and junkets. How many times did she bring her husband or other family members on expensive trips or day outs using the licence fees? She was solely responsible for the generation of commercial revenues across all of RTÉ’s departments, there is no way in hell that she did not know or remember all that she was asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

They would miss it for a period of time but then they would move on. Someone might, for example, be used to listening to Liveline with Joe Duffy on the radio but if it was cancelled they would miss it for a couple of months and no more. The reason they would miss it at all is not because it is a high quality radio programme but rather that it has become part of the background, a regular part of the day they can depend on. But they would eventually move on.

I do think there needs to be subsidies for Irish produced content but that doesn't require a traditional broadcaster as it might have done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I agree the TDs really need to get their act together.

one suggestion I have to eliminate the grandstanding would be for the TDs to submit their questions in writing to the board a few days before the meeting takes place.

a trained actor then reads out the prepared questions.

the board can then decide (before the meeting) which questions they would like to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How would the government scare old people and gaslight the young if they didn't have RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

Same way as they don’t do it now, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Based mostly on what ButterSuki said earlier, I think they should split RTE into two, a public service part paid for solely from the licence fee, with no ads, no ad sales and a complete ban on agents. Permanent pensionable staff only. Focus only on public service, current affairs, Irish music, and other public service obligations.

The commercial side should be privatised. And they can do what they like, because the public will no longer be funding them. Dee Forbes, NKM and even Tubridy will be welcome in this new entity, because they won't have access to public funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They only sent gardai to the Tuam Baby site after Sky News began doing their own ground-penetrating radar works.

They're about as useful as tits on a bull when it comes to anything that might shine a light on corruption in establishment. Anyone can go into a station and report Jimmy next door for growing a cannabis plant, and they'd have a search warrant next day

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

Granny doesn’t have to pay her TV licence if she’s over 70! Which is interesting in itself as they people who do have to pay the licence are increasingly for the group who probably don’t watch or listen to RTE services.

@ButtersSuki

kudos on your post regarding what you would like to do to reform the national broadcaster.

however - such reforms (like all reforms) would take years to implement (phasing out and phasing in periods).

i think any changes that take place should take place gradually and the problem with gradual change is that it appears as if nothing is changing

And it only became national news here in Ireland after a foreign owned news source picked up the story from a local historian in the area where it was common knowledge among the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭political analyst

The comparison to the RUC doesn't work. Many RUC officers took early retirement and there was 50:50 recruitment in place for a decade but the organisation was still the same but with a different name and emblem. The PSNI's full legal name is 'Police Service of Northern Ireland (incorporating the Royal Ulster Constabulary)'.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

In fairness - im half taking the piss here

how about establishing something like a “bad bank” - this would be the new organisation - and it’s sole purpose would be a parking area for old contracts to run down.

here you can “park” talent until their contracts run out.

after some time the “bad bank” will cease to exist.

remaining would be a leaned down organisation

as I mentioned at the top of the post - this is not a 100% serious post

There is a concept in some school districts in the US nicknamed "rubber rooms". In these rooms teachers who have are being investigated for various allegations, are given a desk in a room with other teachers in similar circumstances. They have to clock in and clock out and are paid in full but are given no work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well for radio you could cynically say that RTE Gold and Lyric are half used for that purpose. Disclaimer I listen to both so amn't trying to rag on them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

While Paths to Freedom was good (better than Mrs Browne and Upwardly Mobile - how couldn't it be?) it's still based on the same worn-out class stereotypes that the middle to upper classes of Ireland want to laugh at and perpetuate

Paths to Freedom - Rats' poetry - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I like to think of them more like retirement homes rather than the "bad bank"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't think many would miss it as a brand tbh. The talent they have aren't gonna disappear into the ether. People want a public service broadcaster, not a jerry-rigged organisation that tends to just serve the highest paid within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

While this has been entertaining and major structural change to rte or it's successor will likely follow now, I somehow doubt it will actually result in a major change in output or balance - as that's entirely culturally driven. Irelands media, over the past 20-30 years has adopted a form of curiosity free activist journalism that seems to take much of its cues from the US Democratic Party - no matter how out of place those are in Ireland. Welcome to the new RTE, much the same as the old RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

All Mullooly's recent articles really point out how he was forced to work on a shoestring, begging for equipment, and how he had to watch people lose their jobs - particularly around rural Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

Ssssh! Don't suggest this out loud, Enoch might hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Tinter Box

The Noel Kelly photo is so tacky. It’s quite funny tbh. Still can’t understand why Tubridy is getting paid not to work and is out of contract?

I think I’ll wait and see. So far what’s happening in rte is not much underneath it all and very little will change. Hopefully I’m proven wrong but most of this looks like busy work to be doing something and they’ll be no repercussions and it’ll keep happening.

Your post smells a bit of the “nothing more to see” variety

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

As stated, based on evidence so far!

Agree, GOL could not look any more guilty if she tried - which explains why she has apparently already retired.

Dee is playing the mental wellness card, which speaks volumes

Moya is breezily playing the "I don't really mix with these types of people" card. This is the real entertainment for D4 as all the others are non-entities. 

And lastly, let's not forget Paula from Legal whom, who prior to the PAC meeting, had already sought outside counsel to confirm that the only minutes from the meeting with NK could not be shared - such professional diligence, eh!

Let's just get the 4 girls into a cage and so who's the last one standing :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

The photo is almost a parody/Phoenix/Private Eye. I thought it was a makey-uppey when I first saw it - Photoshop, all in black. I mean WTAF were they thinking? This photo might have captured the moment that their feeling of superiority and invulnerability reached radio-active levels. I bet there's a few of the "Talent" looking at that photo over breakfast this morning, and rueing the day it was taken.

I can't help you with the question in your second sentence. As Toyah said, "It's a Mystery"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement