Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Anyone can submit an NC6; I submitted my own as I did an DIY install. But it does require a signature from a RECI registered electrician to confirm that the correct ford protection settings were applied to the inverter during commissioning.

I did get an electrician to do the AC side of the install (from the inverter to the fuse board). So he was happy to sign my NC6 for me.

if you want FIT you need to submit an NC6 If you haven’t already got one on file with ESBN; it’s as simple as that; no point in discussing the ins and outs of it really.

if you need help filling it out let me know. Happy to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Contact ESBN and see if they have it in file. If it was a housting estate, maybeeee builders submitted them all at build time. You only get paid the FIT export credit from date it is submitted.

networkservicesbureau@esb.ie with your MPRN and details of when house was built or meter went live if you know it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Requirement has been in for a long time, if guess would be at least the start of the micro generation scheme in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Friend got a quote from a****8 for new panels and no battery. The sales pitch was 3k a year payback from FIT with .34 from SSE... On a 5kw install south facing. Asked him to show me the sales docs... Anyone heard of this before? Is sse that high now? Is it special offer with activ8 installs?

Post edited by yankinlk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭con747

@yankinlk Probably want to edit the company name out. Not allowed name installers. All I would say about a company you mentioned is do not activate any contract with them unless you want to pay through the nose no matter what carrots they dangle. It is an offer they are putting about but do the maths on the cost of the system to get the truth.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

The company mentioned above are partly owned by sse and have had a long standing link.

as to cost, they were one of the first I made contact with before installing solar. They were 10k more expensive than our actual install cost and we got a good but not great quote.

I would “actively” avoid anything to do with them.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's only an offer with Activ8, but they're generally so much more expensive than the competition that it erases any gains from the higher FIT

Edit: here's an idea, get the smallest possible installation from Activ8, then once you're registered for the higher FIT from SSE, sell the system components and get another company to install a big system and update the NC6. It'll cost more initially but what's the bet that SSE won't even notice that you got a larger installation from another company?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Also means your locked into SSE as your supplier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It's a higher FIT specifically for SSE/Activ8 installs so the name adds important context here. There was no comments on an Activ8 quote, installation etc.

The quote was not really the issue... It was the amount promised to be paid back in FIT annually that i was questioning. Btw my friend was not aware of the 200 tax free limit either.

Any idea what the max amount of fit payback should be? Assume south facing 5kw system, no battery and no one home during the day.

Post edited by yankinlk on

Input the system here https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html and then work out the FIT amount from what won't be used in the house. Deemed FIT is based on inverter size so would be 5kW x 0.097 x 0.35 x 8760 hrs (1 year) x your FIT rate. You can also get €200 tax exemption per eligible named person on the bill so could get a few names on it if need be.

Thanks. So thats about 500 euro at .34 cents FIT... Thanks. More than i thought but a LOT less than a****8 quoted him

• Registered Users Posts: 8 intershtellar

Re the 200e per person tax free on the FIT, are there any implications/repercussions to adding a name to the bill, revenue or anything like that? Or anything else to consider? In theory you could have as many names on the bill as needed to ensure you stay under the tax free threshold, must be a catch though?

I would steer clear of them unless he got a very good quote, which they don't do going by people who have asked on various platforms for advise on their quotes and a quote they gave me. Put their quote into the quote calculator and see if it's competitive before your friend hands over the money. http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

Once they are eligible for tax purposes and live in the property there is no catch. It was discussed before and confirmation was given.

I am thinking that what a****8 have quoted him... based on a 5KW system... say that it generates abot 5000KW in a year. They are suggesing that 100% of that would go to grid - and he would be paid .34 for that - which is closer to 1700 euro.

Anything wrong with their logic? Other than baseload daily reducing that amount?

Some of the other lads here can crunch the numbers a lot better than I could attempt! What ball park was the quote in? I don't think we can link the supplier and quote with the forum rules. Did you put it into the calculator? The average household usage is in the 3500-4200 range so not that much going back to grid unless they are very low users.

the costs of the system are a seperate issue - im not actually saying that part was good or bad.

The part that my friend was most interested in was in the proposal where they showed math... and it said he would send a ton back to the grid and earn a huge payback... I need to double check it was close to 2000 euros a year.

He doesnt have an electric car - and no one is home during the daytime... so it would be a lot going back to grid... im just not conviced he could send THAT much back. I need to check the term of the .34 FIT payment promised. COuld that go down during with the market - or are they promsing some sort of fixed rate over ten years once he stays an SSE customer? devils in the details...

• Advertisement

A normal base load would be anywhere between 130w and 300w depending what is on. My base load is 120-150w with nothing power hungry on. So 3.6kWh over 24hrs, 1,314kWh a year without using anything like kettles, oven, shower and all the usual stuff so I can't see how they would export what is being said. As I said though my maths is not great! There is a thread here somewhere with base loads being posted if you can find it.

Just found it. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058233254/power-what-is-your-base-load/p1

Since I turned on my system in Feb I’ve exported 63.25% of everything I’ve generated. That would be 744 euro if I was getting paid 0.35 FIT.

My 59.73% from PV would be higher; but I made a decision to charge from grid at night even though I don’t have to as it maximises revenue from FIT. I could have let the battery charge from PV in the mornings and afternoon and I’d say I could be closer to 80% from PV. But this is only the good months (Feb - June).

So what I’m badly trying to convey is that I’m actively trying to maximise my export. So take my number of 63.25% as a high watermark. Not much more I could do to get that any higher.

it’s a 7.5 kWp SE ground mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The other issue with the company offering the 34c FiT is that it's not guaranteed. The only guarantee is that it'll be 10c more than the standard SSE rate. If SSE drop their rate to 10c, then the 34c becomes 20c.

The 10c boost is also only for a year isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

I wouldent buy a huge system wth the hope of getting it back rom the FIT. its madness.

Last crowed I was with were so inconsistent witht the payments and only gave 0.14 per unit. id be fairly upset now if id spent thousands geting a huge system for such a poor return.

Get enough to cover your house or future proof if you plan to get an EV. "Investing in Solar panels" for a paypack is pure celtic tiger stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

maybe i'm being a bit stupid, or missing something. Whats to stop somebody charging up a battery using night saver rates and exporting it back to the grid during daytime at higher rates? I guess theres some kind of software needed to know to charge at night & discharge during the day?

Also on the below, my rough calculations, assuming you only generate about 40% average of capacity daily, and 5 hours generation a day, 5Kw*5hr*365days*0.4%= 3650 KW produced over a year. @ 0.34c per unit thats 1241 in FIT.

40% is a figure i pulled out of the sky to try to take some account of variability of sunshine, hours of sunshine, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Whats to stop somebody charging up a battery using night saver rates and exporting it back to the grid during daytime at higher rates?

You'd need to think carefully about that. You dont simply gain the difference between your night rate and the FiT rate.

There are charging and discharging losses (20%+) and you are also consuming cycles on your limited life battery so there is a hidden cost there too by shortening the life of your battery (which isn't cheap!)

And, as you said, you have to manage the whole thing to ensure you empty the battery before night rate starts and also not have a situation where the sun isn't shining as much as you thought the following day and now you have a dead battery in the afternoon because your've dumped the battery to the grid but now you're buying it back again. Its not easy to do that right without alot of babysitting and weather forecast watching.... its doable but is it a good use of your time for a few euro?

I’ve got it all set up this way in home assistant; it’s not complicated if you’re already using home assistant.

I do exactly as you suggested; I look at the solar forecast for the following day and make a decision on how much to dump (I do this between 1-2am just before the cheep rate starts) and then buy it back for half the price between 2-4 am. I just did it as a proof of concept really; but it’s good for about 0.50 cent a day in additional returns with a normal 10kWh battery.

But I’m not doing it anymore; however if we got something like the octopus flux tariff in Ireland where the export rate went up to 0.40-0.50 cent I would consider doing it again.

Post edited by con747 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

I can’t say I agree with the logic here. Regardless of fit, solar is a very good investment in terms of return. Even the worst payback systems will have funded themselves after 10-12 years and with a further life span of 20 years will give a substantial return on investment even taking unit rate prices from before the crazy inflation.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

Advertisement