Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1930s farmhouse - construction type?

Options
  • 02-07-2023 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Can anyone give any insight into what the typical construction of a 1930s 2 storey farmhouse in Galway might be?

Is it more likely to be mass concrete, stone, or would cavity wall construction have come in by this point?

Obviously I'm not asking for a crystal ball reading - but what was the typical construction type for buildings like this in those days?

(N.b. the pic below is an example - the front extension was added later and is block/cavity construction.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lmk123

If the walls are approx 300mm it’s probably mass concrete, thats what mine is, built in the early 30’s it’s solid as a rock, if the walls are much thicker than that they’re probably stone

• Subscribers Posts: 41,533 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We'll that pic certainly isn't a 1930s farmhouse.

As above, the thickess of the walls would be a good indication of them construction type

Anything 450mm and above, probably stone.

Anything under probably mass concrete.

Hollow block and cavity wall weren't very prolific back then

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lord.langers

Thanks both. Walls are around 300-350mm I'd say. Assuming that's what it is, any pros and cons? Nice and solid but difficult to keep warm (and dry)?

@sydthebeat what makes you say that? We've been told it is 30s with a 2000s extension on the front but would be interested in what you think?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,533 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

??

You said the pic was an example.

Are you saying now that it's the actual house?

Farmhouses from back then had first floor windows which were closer to the first floor level ie only up a few hundred mm from the floor level. That house in the pic looks to have full windows at 2.1m height over the first floor level.

Plus the chimney design doesn't look 30s either. From back then they were usually built in brick, and then rendered some time in the future.

That’s similar to my house, chimneys are mass concrete and plastered, windows similar too, sounds like mass concrete alright with walls that thickness, I put 85mm insulated slabs on the walls and 400 mm insulation in the attic, new floors and air to water, brought it from a G rated house to A3, great job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could easily have 1st floor windows heads raised and chimneys rebuilt when re roofing was undertaken.

Stone walls from that time tend to vary with location. Mass concrete for sure if walls are not at least 500mm thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lord.langers

That sounds like a good job well done! I'm guessing the insulated slabs you mentioned are external?

No internal, very easy to fix to a mass concrete wall in comparison to a stone wall

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

First floors raised, re-roofed, chimney re-lined with a new flue. There may well have been a house there in the 1930s. But I would suspect the 1930s part is not actually original.

Getting into the rood space is often a good way to confirm exact wall construction. But the fake quoins are a big giveaway from the picture alone, that it is not stone.

Advertisement