Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Don't ye have some All Irelands to discuss losing in yer own thread?

It's embarrassing you'd throw on a rivals colors, much less take a ticket to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

i dont agree with this. Shane walsh has been the top scorer for galway and probably in connaught this year. he got 23 points. 5 from play. zero goals. 1 missed penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭I see sheep

The football's over lads.

Let's look forward to the hurling semi final, which should be an epic match.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It daft.

Football fans should never try to occupy the moral high ground because there is no moral high ground when it comes to football.

Galway fans getting outraged over Ryan O'Donoghue as if it's the worst thing ever happened on a football field.

Mayo fans making excuses for his behavior, implying that he wasn't really trying to do what he was trying to do.

Get over it people.

One day your players are the victims of these "black arts" the next they are the ones dishing them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Let's chat hurling lads. Same starting 15 for next weekend? I know Monaghan was excellent off the bench but I wouldn't like to see him bombing wides into the swirling Hill 16 breeze again in a first half. I think he's ideal for when the pitch opens up in front of him. Concannon was bad the last day but neither Flynn nor Conor Cooney really showed enough to be starting.

I'm delighted to see Linnane take his chances so far this season. We need what he brings to the table. Reminds me an awful lot of Johnny Coen in that there's no flashiness to him just absolute effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

While anything can happen in the semi final, I think we need too much to go wrong for limerick to give us a chance to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yeah I'd go with the same team. I agree about Monaghan. We need momentum and long range wides early on will kill us. But he still has probably shown enough to maybe get a start too.

Conor Cooney hit two woeful shots when he came on, he definitely can't start and can't be trusted much as a sub. But he could be on fire too, though we've been waiting for a day like that for 4 years.

Flynn impressed me fighting for a ball and winning it. He's a huge man and would be well able for physical stuff now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Yup, bring Monaghan on with 20 to go with tired legs on the opposition midfield / half back line.

I give us a great chance. if we look at last years semi, we have a better squad now (bar David Burke). Hannon and Finn are massive losses for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Can't start McInerney again. Giving away too much. Especially against a full-forward line like Limerick's which is streets ahead of Tipp's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

We can't play a sweeper against them or it'll be death by a thousand (well, 30 odd) points.

If we're to have a chance we need goals, and that's probably fast quality ball in front of Whelan that'll let him turn and bear down on goal. Basically how they beat us in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Very tough task against Limerick, they might have come back to the pack, but, it'll still take an almighty display to beat them, they're still exceptionally hard to beat. They will have had some time to regroup after their Munster campaign and work on their issues, will also be fired up to show that they aren't finished yet, there's a fair bit of loose talk about Limerick being vulnerable and the end of their era, which will knock any complacency out of them.

We haven't really shown the type of form that suggests we'll beat Limerick, the display against Tipp certainly wouldn't do. it'll take our best display in years to beat them. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but, hard to see us overcome Limerick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Update

The above poster, crusier, has been Sitebanned.

Using more than 1 account on Boards.ie is not allowed.

1 of their other accounts, Green Peter, has already received a Very Long Ban from the GAA Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

I think they're the one team you absolutely have to play a sweeper against. You cannot have a defender one on one against Gillane as their HF line pull out past the 45 leaving acres of space for FF line to work in. This results in the middle being quite congested which would suit us if our HB's stay tight and we have a sweeper play deep. What we can't do is have Mannion sweeping across the HB line as we'll then be caught with either quality ball inside or get overlapped by the runner that Mannion is leaving loose by playing sweeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Galway footballers must be sick looking at this game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

I was just thinking the same thing. Brutal stuff.

I'm more annoyed about the Armagh game than Mayo result.

Galway being in a semi final or final would've only prolonged the inevitable not winning the All Ireland I think.

The way Kerry moved the ball so fast is way beyond what Galway have shown all year. Galway haven't even tried to move it that fast. Even Tyrone when they had opportunities for quick kickouts moved the ball fast upfield. If Galway played Tyrone today there's a good chance there'd only be a score in it in injury time, and any team has a punchers chance then. I think Galways players are on a similar level to Kerry's, but the coaching and style of play are way off Kerry's level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Will better tickets come online this week. No lower hogan or cusack available. Was away last week

There's generally singles in the central lower Cusacks/Hogans that pop up Thursday or Friday of the week of the game. You'd be lucky enough to get 3 or 4 beside each out in good sections though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭spurshero

Delighted for Ryan o donoughue and co today ….

No worries. When I see good ones pop up I'll update the thread. Usually the new releases pop up at around 9am on weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

Dubs could have beaten them by 20 points..... and they still think they are the best team in Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭shockframe

To be honest If I were in the Galway camp I'd be looking at it maybe that they were fortuitous to beat a game but limited Armagh side last season and that they might have been in a similar situation last night.

Until Galway can learn to live with the top 3 to 4 teams and beat them consistently in knockout matches I'd leave the what ifs to one side for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Weeks holiday in the sun was well needed after last weekend. A flight a few hours after the final whistle was a Godsent!! Was expecting to return to this thread with a few posts not close to 200 in a week.

I'll leave the football. Unfortunately done for another year.

GMac for me marks Gillane or doesn't play. We lost all shape in the Leinster Final because GMac was told to follow TJ and ended up all over the place. Gillane doesn't move far from goal. GMac is dogged. I'd chance it. Daithí has to stay at 6. If not GMac go with Fintan. Or put P. Mannion at 3 and Fintan to half back.

Rest of the team I'd imagine the same. Only player really poor was Concannon but he's had a decent year so I don't see a change.

Local news. Anyone know why Annaghdown conceded the relegation game? Club Championship back in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Yawn. Fortuitous that Armagh got 3 of the jammiest goals you'll ever see and Galway still won the game.

The last few weeks have shown that it's Dublin and Kerry and the rest are apart, all much of a muchness. Galway were done in by injuries and circumstance this year, but at the same time at no point did they show form that would make you think they could win it out. Same for every other side bar Mayo in Killarney, a game that's been shown to not be worth a seconds thought in hindsight

Whats going to change the order? Unless a Limerick hurling type group come along soon I can't see much happening. Given underage results over the last while there's more chance of that being Galway than most others but it's still very unlikely

Or ya could also look at that they were level with 3 mins to go in the all Ireland final until a very questionable decision swayed the game Kerry’s way . They were miles the better team v Armagh that day . This season ended disappointingly but luck was not on our side in any way from injuries to freak results going against us ! Anyway time to look forward

Annaghdown have internal disagreement among the players and management. Not sure what's the exact issue but it's an unhappy camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Would agree, but, when you look at the standard of some of the teams over the weekend, you'd have to question how Galway failed to make it to the quarter finals, only Kerry and Dublin are what I'd call good teams, the rest are mediocre at best. It's also a bit worrying that a poor Cork side beat both Roscommon and Mayo in matches that mattered, which indicates that the standard in Connacht isn't great. Luck and injuries might have went against us, but, even allowing for that, it's still very poor that we failed to make the quarter finals. Both Dublin and Kerry move the ball with pace, we need to cut out this approach of slowly moving up the field and instead move the ball much quicker up the field, no point having possession and doing nothing with it.

Advertisement