Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True enough. If Musk wanted to destroy a social media platform, discouraging people to use said platform is a great way to do it. You do have to wonder how such a gobshíte ended up being in the position to be able to spend tens of billions to buy such a thing in the first place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jack and other benefactors from the $44b buyout probably couldn't believe their luck that someone was foolish enough to actually buy the company off them let alone spending $44b for it.

Imagine not doing a proper due diligence before spending $44b because you didn't want to look weak to a couple of thousand fanboys online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Well it took a bit longer than expected but looks like the people saying twitter was going to fall about were correct. Can’t be long now before even the most dedicated Musk worshippers realise he’s a total spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'd say Telegram will be taking more and more of that specific market, especially given the ability to close off groups so that people can "say what they really mean".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am guessing Musk thought he could play hardball and just not pay and still get the service. Same way he still has a load of offices despite not paying rent. The real key to getting risk is being able to not pay for goods and services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Funny seeing the reactions from the "Mr. Musk" fanboys.

Twitter and Reddit - indeed anything with huge amounts of human-generated discussion - can be used to train AI. They are already being used to train AI, both companies are trying to monitize it and trying to prevent actors (incl nation states) from doing it without paying. They're also suing companies who have already done it.

That's a big driver behind what we are seeing recently - Reddit shutting down free API access, twitter trying to rate-limit people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Reddits api moves have nothing to do with AI, you don't need an api to scrape the site unlike with twitter. Also the ceos proveable lies about the 3rd party developers show his real aim was more eyeballs on the official garbage app to help boost numbers for the impending IPO. Ironically it's led to many actually slashing reddits estimated value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nachouser

I'm just a nobody, but I posted a couple of months back that the collapse had likely already happened, but there was probably no-one knowledgeable left in the company to read the warning signs and mitigate for them along the way.

How is it for people today?

Seems back to normal for me.

• Advertisement

Back to normal until he decides to take some other notion...

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Jesus I thought "a billion dollars" was hyperbole but that's actually the figure up for renewal.

Hopefully that was a bad deal made my Twitter in the era of cheap money because if not, it just costs too much and is too hard to have competitors to sites like Reddit, Twitter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well we dont know what was in the contract, from the few articles ive read it seems like it was deffinitely more than just simple hosting of services

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Depends on the duration , but hosting globally distributed data and handling millions of concurrent users isn't going to be cheap.

A Billion dollars for a multi-year deal probably isn't a bad price in the grand scheme of things

But whatever it was it's still cheaper than hosting all your own hardware in your own data centre(s) - Managed by staff you no longer have because you fired them all.

Also - If he's not going to be using a cloud provider , does that mean all the traffic will have to route back to Twitter HQ ?

That won't help performance one little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Google is no longer indexing tweets because the site requires a login to view them. It should reduce traffic quite significantly. The advertisers will be delighted...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Oh great.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Have you seen the list of personal data it collects? I'm not going near it! Mastodon doesn't collect any personal data as an FYI

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The login requirement is has been on the cards for a while. You used to be able to search tweets within Twitter without logging in, but no longer

Fair point! I suppose if I don't want an app to share a particular piece of information, I make sure I don't share it with them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, outlets have been quick to point out just how ... exacting Threads' privacy policy is gonna be - that might just kill Zuckerberg's latest swing dead on arrival, if he doesn't get in front of that.

Mind you, if this goes as well as Meta, it might yet be another foolish venture into which Zuckerberg flushes his cash. At least Musk has had a few successful ventures, Zuckerberg hasn't much moved from Facebook.

I'm always curious as to why people care so much about this, and it could be its own thread.

If you go on any of these platforms and try to create an ad, you get a bunch of dropdown menus to try and narrow down who sees your ad. Gender / Location / Hobbies / Age etc. That's it. That's what all this privacy concern is about. They aren't selling binders of your data to companies. They are giving companies dropdown menus and then the platform guesses what it knows about you to determine whether or not you see the ad.

For Google, you can click around here to see what they "know" about you: https://myadcenter.google.com/controls

On boards.ie, in the big thread about changes to advertising, people are always complaining about irrelevant ads. These ads make boards.ie very little money and only serve to bother users. When the site is actually working correctly and displaying properly relevant ads, those are what is keeping boards.ie alive. The exact same data collection everyone complains about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably the link with Instagram means that particular tool will become even less friendly for small to medium artists; that if you don't use Threads you'll be shunted further down the algorithm, something like. Already hard enough to gain traction since the last big algorithm change fúcked over many smaller creative accounts, impressions and engagement cratering for many.

It won’t be available in the EU initially, as there’s lack of clarity around data protection and how it links with Instagram and Facebook.

The DPC hasn’t blocked it, but Meta hasn’t got an EU version of the product yet.

It likely will launch, but it’s going to take them a bit of time to ensure they’re in compliance with the regulations.

. .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What is it with techbros and their ignorance (or perhaps coyness) about anything else that shares the name of their new products? I'm just waiting for a "metaverse" (itself a word coined in a dystopian sci-fi novel) start-up where your avatar is called a Replicant.

Seems appropriate given the talk of "Threads" dystopian similarity:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

• Advertisement

You'll need to have a UK Appstore account though?

Advertisement