Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

The super talented “jock” who could have made it but ended up working on some pirate station with 5 listeners is a very common “poor me” story. The great undiscovered diamond of broadcasting who now works as a van driver.

Always total nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Well believe what you will. The current hosts of the Breakfast show are NKM shite and there are others on 2FM who should not be there but are.

Imagine hiring a breakfast show because she has a certain amount of followers on Social Media and that those social media followers will tune into her radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How do you know they don't?

If your pal was a good as you say, he wouldn't be stuck on pirate radio. Did he ever try again for a job in RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What will happen with Tubridy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Imagine hiring a breakfast show because she has a certain amount of followers on Social Media and that those social media followers will tune into her radio show.

How exactly do you think presenters for youth oriented programming should be chosen in 2023?

It’s not 1989 anymore where you poach ”the best” from pirate stations, metrics such as instagram followers are what counts these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

In regards to radio, well local radio is full of great talent. Just a quick google shows the percentage that listen to it:

A large majority of Irish adults – 78.3% listen to the radio on an average day. More than half, 51.6% (-0.1%) tune into their local or regional station and 42.6% (-0.1%) listen to a national station.

Hence why the loss of 2FM would have no affect to people at all.

I think the Samatha Barry situation was interested, from recollection she went for interview in RTE, didn't get the job. Then went onto BBC and then onto the US. Yet RTE ran a campaign about how great she was, one of our own or some bullshit they ran it.

You have plenty of Irish people on the TV in UK because they can't get the jobs over here. The top chat show presenter on BBC after all is Irish.

Another case was the Hardy Bucks. They tried to get into RTE, didn't. They became an internet sensation and RTE didn't want to know. I had friends in Boston and Aus telling me about the YouTube channel and nothing in Ireland. How much more talent was blocked by RTE so we could get the Lottie Ryan and Doireanns because they are the offspring of some relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Post edited by Ish66 on

The youth are down with the latest deep cut from Dire Straits.

Everything you said about the Hardy Bucks is wrong.

Their youtube videos were released as part of a development competition in RTE, after which they had (I think) four series on RTE. By any metric they were very successful in RTE.

• Advertisement

• Put my own mini poll on Twitter, the result so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s mad, isn’t it. A week ago nobody had a clue who NK was, and now everyone seems to think (and know) that he’s responsible for the ills of the “65” years old national broadcaster.

• He’s quite a stakeholder, and negotiates “talent” with other entities outside RTE

”I could have been the next Larry Gogan, you know.”

”Who?”

“Exactly.” 😔

Hardy Bucks was created in 2007 when Chris Tordoff (Viper Higgins) filmed Martin Maloney (Eddie Durkan) and Owen Colgan (Buzz McDonnell) for a college project. After sitting on the footage for a year, Tordoff uploaded the shorts to YouTube. The show's popularity eventually got it commissioned by RTE who took editorial control of the show.

Hardy Bucks was entered into the RTÉ Storyland competition and from a total of 122 applications, nine projects were commissioned to make one episode each. These episodes were released in March 2009. With all nine projects on the website, the public could vote for their favourite and at the end of every month the shows with the fewest votes would be voted off, leaving the remaining teams to make the next episode with the same €8,000 budget per episode. Hardy Bucks made it all the way to the finals (final two teams) and ultimately won the competition with the largest number of votes.

Fairly easy to find that is incorrect. It was massively popular across the globe before RTE went near it

I said he started on pirate radio, at the moment he has a show on a well known Dublin station.

It was massively popular across the globe before RTE went near it

That’s not true. Nobody heard of it before it took off as part of the Storyland competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Speak in Proverbs

Funny you should say that. Total fantasy that many Blackrock pupils get below average leaving cert? They certainly had only peppered the top point scoring courses when I was at college twenty years ago in their ones and twos only. And that is generally still the case having inside knowledge through various younger people I know from sports. That’s despite being one of the biggest schools in the state. I’d say 80% of their 200 pupils per year don’t get into Trinity or UCD. 

So how then is it that they all rise to the top in their respective fields? Outnumbering people in this city, controlling the conversation and pulling the levers of power when they’re in. Be that nepotism, promotions, brown envelopes or dodgy accounts like we had with Forbes and Tubridy. Their form of control extends much further than their glorious 70 out of the past 120 rugby titles at schools level. They impose government on us by outnumbering, controlling the conversation and yes bullying people. 

Outnumbering and overpowering is in their blood from a very young age yet they flood the accountancy firms and stock broking houses like Davy. They control the money and control the development that goes on the city. They’re a very basic breed of past pupil not focusing on skilled business areas like AI, machine learning or data analytics. It’s all Fianna Fáil property development and finance.

Which brings me to whether there is nepotism. We can’t prove it’s happening but a sizeable amount of them get funds from the likes of Davy for their projects mainly property. It’s usually through marriage or other means. All of this a great generalisation but I’ve seen enough examples of it over the years to know where they migrate to. Certainly from my contacts in the closeby area in this city they EXPECT to be in power when they leave school despite not doing the academic work and succeeding in their leaving cert.

Without the option for RTE? not much of a poll is it?

Dee Forbes is clearly the fall guy for RTE.

I agree here, people do get jobs in RTE without going to Blackrock or NKM or been a relative. But it's a lot easier to get in the door if you do have a relative and talent is certainly not a requirement

At the time Doireann was hired, based on instagram she had a tiny following, less than 10k from recollection. This was the main point used to hire her.

Of course we also had Ray D'Arcy hired because he would bring in advertising which he didn't do and his tv show got canned half way thought season 2 wasn't it? Dont get me wrong Ray was great on TodayFM and I enjoyed to listen to him but he was never a TV chat show host who would bring in big advertisers as RTE promised.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Speak in Proverbs

What’s nonsense to suggest there’s miss dealings going on AND nepotism? If anything recent events should display that’s it’s going on a lot more than we even realise!!!

• Advertisement

Maybe you didn't, I did and loads of others did via YouTube. You might be surprised but more people watch YouTube and not RTE. Especially people overseas in America and Aus etc....it was a huge hit and like everything on the web spread very quickly around the ex-pat community.

Nearly as quick as the famous Postman Patrick, which YouTube kept banning

I think presenters that host any show on RTE should be chosen on talent not on the amount of social media followers that they have.

Regarding NK I have known about him for ages and I have always felt he has too much control over the media in Ireland. Any show hosted by someone represented by NK tends to call on others from the NKM stable when they want some "expert opinion/advice".

I think presenters that host any show on RTE should be chosen on talent not on the amount of social media followers that they have.

How do you measure talent without metrics such as listeners on other stations or social media followers? Do they have to do an exam?

For example: How come your mate who is “1000 times” the jock Fanning was wasn’t poached by the BBC? Maybe he’s not as talented as you think, ie maybe you don’t have a keen eye for talent. Hmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Foil Arms and Hog? I guess if you can't make it on RTE there is always the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RTÉ 'Braced' For Ryan Tubridy To Sue (evoke.ie)

RTÉ 'braced' for Ryan Tubridy to sue.

RTÉ is ‘fully braced’ for a lawsuit to be taken by presenter Ryan Tubridy which could result in a huge payoff that would ultimately be picked up by licence fee payers, a senior executive at the broadcaster said.

Forbes might not be far behind him.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

He never applied to the BBC, but he was the first DJ anywhere to play U2. I have more of a keen eye for talent than you do. Why do you keep defending RTE an institution that needs a root and branch makeover.

Having followers on social media does not mean you will be a good DJ or TV host. If you go on the metric of social media followers you definitely don't have an eye for talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

McDermott said that, despite the mistakes so far, RTE could still rebuild trust with the public through a restructuring of the organisation and a changing of the guard in management positions. Kevin Bakhurst will assume the role of director-general next week.

“Part of the argument, it seems, that Noel Kelly and Ryan Tubridy were making in their negotiations was that Ryan could go anywhere with his talent. This event perhaps gives him an opportunity to test that thesis,” he added.

yes it was mate who shared it to me from Aus before I seen them here. A bit f**ked up that isn't it

• Advertisement

The Sunday World claimed today that Forbes is also going down the legal route.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement