Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New builds - Kill, Co.Kildare

Options
  • 09-08-2022 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Viewing the 2 new builds in Kill this week, Hillfort and The Meadows. My question is around the area as I'm not familiar with it - is Kill generally a good area?

We have Two kids, aged 10 and 3, what are the schools like in the town?

Anyone any other advise or has anyone booked in either development?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I grew up there but moved out many years ago. However I still go back and visit family every weekend. It's the sort of place I'd love to bring up my 5 year old in.

There is one primary school in the village, which has an excellent reputation. There are of course other primary schools in Naas and Rathcoole. There are no secondary schools in the village. Most, though not all, would go to Naas for their secondary education.

If you're coming from Dublin, bare in mind that you are moving to a small village with little in the way of actual entertainment. There are a few pubs, a GAA and not much more. It's a place people move to for some peace and quiet. It's close to Dublin on the N7, yet head up the backroads and you are out in the countryside with some beautiful walks.

Kill would I think, for the most part, be considered an excellent place to raise kids- though I suspect some would find it dull. It's friendly, quiet and being on the N7, Dublin is not far away. It also benefits by being close to Naas and the numerous shopping options available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest it sounds ideal for what we are looking for an has definitely made me feel more comfortable about looking there. I read the primary school is excellent and we hadn't considered secondary school yet but good to know there are some nearby options.

Proximity to Dublin is a big influence too as we looked in Newbridge at the new builds out there but it just felt a bit too far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shailc

Hi @Tomw86 - Just wanted to check if you have moved to Hillfort/Meadows? If yes, any pros and cons to consider before moving here? I see a new phase coming up there.

Thanks.

I was am in phase 2 so should be moving in in the next couple for weeks.

I've done research and know people living there - it's a quiet small village I suppose currently but can see it growing with all the new builds there. The school is apparently very good but it's only a primary, nearest secondarys are in Naas where there is a few options. Bus route direct from Kill to City Centre which is a plus.

Kill itself has its own GAA club which has great facilities and a soccer club which is linked t Shamrock Rovers so well supported in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 brisingr8

Hi @Tomw86 - Looking to move into Hillfort ourselves later this year but wanted to know if you are aware around the process of getting an eir code and having google maps updated with same? as I believe getting deliveries/utilities setup etc would be a huge pain otherwise. There seems to be a lot of delay around getting these things updated as I understand from various google maps posts.

• Advertisement

Hi @brisingr8 - our builder sorted the Eircode and sent it to us about 6 weeks before we closed, which we did yesterday. It's definitely needed but really even a couple of weeks before closing would be fine.

As far as I know it's up to the builder to sort this out and there isn't anything we can do to get it in any quicker time than they will.

Thanks for your reply @Tomw86 and congratulations on closing! From what I understand now the eircodes are getting registered monthly instead of quarterly and I already can see ours on eircode finder :) so that is sorted.

What about the address coming up on google maps? Are you able to see your house on google maps if you search for it either by the full address or by the eir code? Did the builder say anything about that to you? Nowadays with most deliveries relying more on google maps to find your location i feel that your address showing up accurately on the maps is more important to get anything delivered!

The house isn't actually on Google Maps yet but if you put in the eircode then it can be found using that and all providers have been fine using the eircode. Some have to register it on their system but no issues with Maps not being updated as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Info_Seeker

Hi @Tomw86 @brisingr8,

What is your overall feedback on Hillfort?

I have been offered a 3 bed house in Phase 4. The cheapest 3 bed in Phase 4 is 455K. In Phase 3 it was 390K. From price perspective, I think it is a total rip off. What is your opinion in terms of value for money?

Hi @Info_Seeker

Yeah the market is crazy right now with steep prices all around but not sure where you got your info around pricing for Phase 3 in Hillfort. As far as I know and heard from home owners in Hillfort, 390k was the pricing in Phase 2 and that was a while back.

The current prices are in line with other similar distanced areas around Dublin for 3 bedroom homes. If you go around the 50-60km distances from Dublin (Drogedha, Newbridge) then you might find <400k range of prices. It’s all location driven.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I am not in Hillfort, in The Meadows myself. I would imagine prices for a 3 bed in Hillfort would be slightly higher than The Meadows due its proximity to the school and village - obviously different builders with differing finishes also but still seems excessive. A 3 bed in phase 2 of The Meadows was going for between 410 up to 435k.

Not sure on what they went for in phase 3 which is still under construction but if you rang Savills New Homes they may tell you or even may still have some to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darren923

Hi @Tomw86 and all

Hope you are enjoying the modern heat insulation in this Jan 2024. I see The Meadows is almost sold out, going by Myhome. Most of the housing is terraced with concrete walls which seem to be about a foot thick looking at the diagrams so seems good but I have heard about cheap boiler so I wondered how you or neighbours find these houses for sound insulation. I see it has good A2 rating for heat insulation but unfortunately houses in Ireland have no noise rating and it is important to me especially for terraced/semi. For example could you potentially hear door slam, baby, dogs, loud bass etc. I would appreciate it greatly as it will be a big decision for me.

Hi Darren,

Insulation is actually very good and the houses heat quickly and efficiently. We have not encountered any issues in this sense but I know others have had issues with the heating system and boilers but it seems to be a minority.

The Meadows is now completely sold out with final units sold before Xmas according to the sign now at the entrance to the development.

In terms of the noise rating I would have to say it is not ideal - you can often hear noises from neighbours houses to which you are connected (we are mid-terrace so neighbours on both sides). To be honest you can hear the heating system and air to water system in neighbours houses during the night also which although not ideal is to be expected in new builds also - they're just not as solidly built as older houses! If this is important to you then definitely consider it but it's not a deal breaker for us as our neighbours are generally quiet and the estate in itself is not loud in terms of external noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 darren923

Hi @Tomw86

Thanks for your answer! I think people not living there say the boiler is only cheap with little power and suited to small houses however because your house is so well insulated it actually makes it perfect and economical instead. I had a Glowworm brand gas boiler in a previous house and found the noise soothing as well as drowning out unwanted noises. Myhome says final units remaining but they must not have the latest update then! Glad to hear the noise overall is acceptable. Many thanks again. Cheers and well wishes

Advertisement