Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

File alongside:

Belarus is entering the war on Friday.

Kiev will fall in 3 days.

Putin has cancer and two months to live.

Etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It's better than listening to insufferable bores and hipster stooges droning on about macOS and Coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Don't forget:

• My secret source had to talk pilots out of dropping nuclear arms when they were in the air
    • Progozhin has seized a nuclear arms depot and I'm including a picture of the wrong place

His problem is that he just repeats every rumour he hears and doesn't do any due diligence. Who knows maybe Kadyrov really is dying but I'll wait til I hear it from a more credible source before I believe there is any substance to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Sure. I won't disagree with that.

I am confused about what they have in common though. I don't see too much coffee and macOS debate going on in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭amandstu

If several thousand tired jokes save one life or expose one rotten state murderer to the glare of unwelcome public gazes it will have been worth our jaded senses.

Who will be the next?Putin ,I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,347 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kind of. I would have a concern some of those who died by 'windows' or similar may have been anti-Putin :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

Gatling, only saw that video now, was that a mine the poor last guy stood on that caused that damage ?

There was obviously a good few lads in that little valley, one wonders was that whole area mined and thats what caused the mess we saw at the start of the video, or was that last guy just really unlucky to be the one who stood on a lone mine just left there ?

Who do you reckon was videoing from the drone, Ukr or Rus ?

Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

I think "Feral" describes your average russian soldier pretty much perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

Two years ago they were building a professional army.

I doubt any of them want to be there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Yes the whole area was mined. As is all the areas the Ukrainians have to advance though. It can be evidenced by the charge tape visable. Maybe that unit thought the mines had been cleared or they were poorly trained in dealing with them.

Folks need to keep this in mind when expecting to see lightening advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

Well I don't say America is without fault but when I look at the balance of evils I am in no doubt that Russia has to be defeated. They have always been blood-thirsty murderers. Deal with Russia first, then reflect on other things but the main evil right now is the evil Russia has unleased.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭farmerval

Couldn't agree more, he's always Mr bloody obvious. Michael Clarke gives very good oversight of what's going on. Gives a good overview and offers what appears to be well thought out views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think it's more up to the United States than Ukraine as to when it's time to call a halt to efforts to regain territory tbh. Sure, Ukraine could keep fighting without US help but that seems unlikely and how long would they last in any case?

The fact of the matter is that Ukraine has made no meaningful advance anywhere on the frontline since they began their counteroffensive.

Russia has fortified it's defensive positions. It's a very different situation to Ukraine's last push when the Russians didn't have time to set up defensive lines and got routed as they were falling back.

If the situation stays static with no progress eventually someone has to make hard choices on what is realistically attainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Do yourself a favour, have a read of this from someone who actually knows what they are talking about, you never know you might learn something.

PS, It's no wonder you haven't a clue about what's going on, talking notice of people like David Sacks will shrink your brain down to the size of a walnut.

I'd rather be invaded by the Americans for sure. They've been the least rapey, looty and genocidal in the last 100 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I know it might be a silly thing but just wondering with what is happening in France at the moment force the French to provide Ukraine with less financial aid etc. as they might have to fork out tens of millions to repair the damage caused throughout France the last few nights and still on going and also the loss in revenue that tourists might not go to France at the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

And on the contrary, what they did in Afghanistan was something no other invaders have done...they actually spent billions ( if not trillions) on trying to modernize the Country, The difference between pre and post US presence in Afghanistan was far greater than black and white. Certainly, if the US had invaded Ukraine instead of Russian, the war would only have lasted a few weeks if even that, when the welcome mat, flowers and Vodka would have been rolled out. Afghans are now and since the US left, looking and praying for them to come back. Yet all you hear about is the evil US invaders, which is a far cry from the actual truth. But of course, the Truth is the last thing that suit's many, especially Russia and its Factory of Lies.

France is huge, bigger than the UK.

The UK did the Falklands and were America's wingman for Gulf War I while the IRA were going nuts in Northern Ireland.

I don't think a few thousand rioters would be a problem for France.

• Advertisement

What will happen with Ukraine, will be decided by Ukrainian's, and no one else deals or no deals. They stood alone back in Feb 2022, and if they have to, they will do it again. The one thing they will not do is knuckle down under Putin and that's under any circumstances. They've seen what Putin has done and can still do, and are under no illusions about their future if they don't defeat him. So either the world will help in this war, which Zelensky is waging on behalf of us, as in all Europeans, or they won't and pay the price down the road.

I'll save this post for when we know what the partition will look like. Needless to say there is still a lot of wishful thinking going around and refusal to see the reality of the situation.

That's not to say that reality can't change but as of now it is what it is.

The most you can get is a slight injury, if you get something more –

that’s it, you will die," says a Russian military paramedic. His comments

highlight the terrible state of medical care in the Russian army, which is

causing untold tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths.

ChrisO_wiki on Twitter: "1/ Russian front-line hospitals are experiencing acute shortages of personnel and supplies. Only officers are reportedly evacuated to Russia, with ordinary soldiers being treated without anaesthesia or medications. Volunteers are providing most of the medical supplies. ⬇️ https://t.co/2bh0q17Elv" / Twitter

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There are successes of a tactical nature in the Zaporizhzhia region.

On the flanks of Robotinoy there is an advance.

We still don't have ours in the village itself.

Arta did everything as it should, so we have to wait.

Looks like Ukraine are having another go at taking Robotyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They might have invested in rebuilding but they didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. The contracts for all the reconstruction projects in Iraq and Afghanistan were a great way of funnelling funds from the US taxpayer into the pocket of private industry.

But as corrupt as the relationship between politicians and industry/lobbyists is it's no Russia. The Russian kleptocracy seems to be fine with looting and raping their way through Ukraine one atrocity at a time. America is far from perfect but given the choice I know who I@'d want to invade my home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭yagan

I'm sure a in a previous generation there were armchair warriors stating that the vietnamese really wanted the US back.

Twenty years in Afghanistan and they couldn't understand that the Taliban are Afghanistan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would you not want to be checking your sources - are you seriously suggesting that Ukraine has lost 10,000 military in the last few weeks?

I'll stand to be corrected but I very, very much doubt it and that you can parrot this without thinking puts you firmly in the Russian propaganda box.

I think the numbers quoted here are a bit simplistic. It seems to me that Russian defenses are getting stretched. The fact that Ukraine is retaking territory shows that. It may be only a matter of weeks before the line has a serious break somewhere. Then, all bets are off. I really doubt that Russia can take the attrition for much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The square kilometres taken at the moment will be the hardest as their on the wrong side of the defensive lines. Once they get past the lines they will multiply significantly. Have a feeling Zaluzny is playing down things to get more arms and give the Russians a false sense of security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Stuff like these stupid riots won't matter as regards policy towards Ukraine until next set of elections there, unless perhaps it gets a lot worse and current French govt. collapses over it.

I suppose some day the French electorate may finally give Le Pen and co a whirl out of frustration with their angry Muslim problems (though this "cure" may be worse than the "disease", she definitely would not be good for Ukraine going by her/her party's relationship with Putin/Russia in the past).

No armchair warrior here Yagan. If I'm commenting on a post about a particular Country, it means that I've lived in it, and that includes Russia too. Ukraine, I've traveled through several time's, and I recognize a lot of the names of the places that are mentioned, because I've been in them. I lived and worked in Afghanistan for several years, and saw the before and after Afghanistan. In fact I was there for Sept 11th. The Taliban came from the Pakistani Madrassa's, hence the name Taliban, which means "Student". And they are largely Pakistan Pashtun, ( Pashtun are the largest ethnic group in Afghanistan also ) And that's not quite the same thing as saying that the Taliban are 100% Afghan, What the US didn't understand Yagan, is hundreds and hundreds of years of Afghan Tribal Culture, where clans / tribes are interlinked. And in the end, ultimately, these bonds proved impossible to overcome. And no, yagan the Taliban are not a normal part of traditional Afghanistan Culture. They were a Pakistani inflicted means of control, which has now morphed into what may become a threat to the Pakistan itself give the Military hardware they " inherited" from the US. Afghans now pray for the return of the US, and the removal of of a form of Islam that the Taliban espouse, and a return to a more conventional Islam that existed before the Pakistan Taliban arrived. As an Afghan friend said to me back when then, when the Taliban first arrived " Who are these people? Where have the come from? Who sent them? They claim to come to teach us about Mohammad, but we have always been for Islam. These people are not representative of Afghan's."

• Advertisement

The support of Western nations would have been helpful when Ireland fought the British Empire alone. Ukraine isn't going to surrender because they run out of Javelins. If they quit their country dies. It's an existential fight for survival.

Yes Kowloon, that happened, as you say. But the by-product ( if you like ) was that for 20 years, school's and hospitals were re-built and modernized. Ditto Roads and other infrastructure same thing. The Afghan Civil administration was funded by the US, Schools, Hospitals, Military etc, Girls for the first time in generations got to get an education all the way to university. Infant and Mother ( plus other) mortality rates dropped, There were many positives for the US Invasion. Now in marked contrast, we compare the effects of the many Russian invasion's. Destructive, Murdering, Raping, Thieving, Torturing, Kidnapping monsters. Give me the US Invaders any day, any time. Its what the Afghans say too, and its what they are praying for presently, because the Taliban are quickly undoing all the progress made during the US years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

Based on your previous posts on this thread, I am surprised you want to save this particular post. Maybe you should look at your posts and give us an update on how it turned out.

there is still a lot of wishful thinking going around and refusal to see the reality of the situation.

Again, based on your previous opinions, forgive me if I don’t think you have the right “reality of the situation”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Weren’t the Taliban also backed by Saudi money, and the main reason they got into power was that their cruelty and barbarism restores a semblance of law and order after the civil war?

Two decades and the US made zero inroads. I'm sure there's Russian's who think that most ordinary Ukrainians wish to be liberated by Russia from cruel western control. Oh yes, this is the internet where I can use an anonymous account and say I've lived and worked in Afghanistan and Ukraine so I know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It's turning out exactly as I predicted, actually. I have always seen the war as a foregone conclusion. If Ukraine started making meaningful gains on the battlefield I'll happily reassess my opinion but I've seen nothing to suggest Ukraine is able to break Russian defensive lines and they are going to continue taking unsustainable losses in manpower and equipment.

The reality now is that Ukraine cannot break Russian lines. It's not my opinion, that's just how things stand at the moment. With the best will in the world I don't see how that can change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Also America 's authority in the world will be diminished if Russia is not seen to be decisively beaten in this war. This might be welcomed by left wing intellectuals, but not by many others, especially those with right wing views like yourself.

If Putin holds on to any territory by way of a compromise he will spin that as a victory. It will also send a signal to other nations who may want to invade their neighbours that they can simply hold out till the west folds. America has to stay the course for this reason. So they won't be turning around at any point and telling Ukraine to compromise. They have simply invested too much politically to do so.

When the Russians were kicked out of Afghanistan, and all Russian influence at that time ended, that left a power vacuum that caused a civil war ( seems to be the standard thing) The fighting was really severe, the nightly ( and daily) barrage's of rockets and mortars into Kabul did massive damage. So when the Taliban arrived they were initially welcomed as they stopped the worst of the fighting and destruction. ( except in the North, where the population were largely Tajik, and the Taliban were fiercely resisted ) But as the Taliban showed their true colors, that acceptance change to resentment, and outright resistance, which the Taliban ruthlessly put down. In a sense, they behave very like Putin's Russian's. He uses the images and language of Hitlers Nazi Germany to convince them that Hitler 2 is coming, and only he can save them. The Taliban use a brutal version of Islam to terrorize and subdue the Afghan's. Same methods, different power source to enforce and control their respective population's. Same methodologies. As for Saudi money? I'm not sure about that, but would not surprise me in the slightest.. Allies of the US ( because of Saudi -Yemen war) but also helping their Taliban friends. For sure, Pakistan ( another erstwhile US "Friend and Partner" were helping the Taliban all their years in Exile. But why not? The Taliban were "born and bred" in Pakistan. But Pakistan needs to tread a very careful line with their Afghan Taliban now. Because Pakistan has a very large Pashtun population, related to their well armed Afghan Pashtun cousin's .

• Advertisement

All the US seemed to have done in two decades is in Afghanistan is make a lot of military suppliers and contractors in jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

Ok, yes I could be an imposter and hiding behind an anonymous account, but I'm not. But that's probably the world you live in. Falsehood and lies, is it? Thats not me, by a long shot!! So some facts just off the top of my head, you can easily check. What years were the worst famines in Chagcharan? And the name of its capital? (Hint ;- begins with the letter G) There's a very famous event happens every year in Herat, involving the wind. And the Nr 100 is very important regarding this event. The color Blue is very important in Herat , could you tell me why? In Taloqan there was also a bad earthquake one time. Can you tell me anything about that? Like who controlled the area? There were many bombings taking place in Kabul, but one in particular took place in a supermarket...killed and injured many people. See if you can dig up any info on that one. Also on Herat...There lived a very famous politician, and anti Taliban fighter. (They captured him and kept him chained up in the Taliban HQ in Kandahar until the US kicked them out and he was freed) So he's been back in Herat since, and is there now. His name is Haji Ismail Khan, a man that I've met several times. So see if you can dig up some info on him, OK? And I'll describe him for you then.

Now yagan, I've lived in these places, and these events are just off the top of my head, but they're easily checkable. And If I ( and you) were betting or gambling men ( maybe you are ?? ) I would take as much money as you cared to bet that I am being untruthful. All of the above event's etc that I mention, I know about because I was there. I still have the Afghanistan ( and many others, inc Russian and Ukraine ) passport stamps on my passport ( an older one, but stamps still visible. Still want to imply that I'm just a lying anonymous Boardsie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's depressing to hear about the Taliban rolling back so much.

You have obviously never even set foot in Afghanistan, and yet you consider yourself an experienced Afghan expert, WOW. Why are Afghans praying to Allah for the return of the US then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Tell that to Afghan girls who can no longer go to school (among other things).

Yes, its heartbreaking especially after seeing great changes brought about by the US " occupation" Aside from the Marshall plan in Germany and Japan, its the first time I've heard of an occupying force actually improving the Country they invaded. Maybe there are others, I don't know, but if they are, they're pretty scarce on the ground. My Afghan friends tell me some pretty horrifying stories about what's happening there now. Though there's still some anger at the US, the majority of the anger is directed at the Taliban though. Afghans see the rights and wrongs of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

How quickly we forget.

If you think the Russians are the bad guys, and christ knows they are animals, I would implore you to watch Fahrenheit 911, from about an hour in , and view the US carry out war crimes, an absolute mirror image of what the Russians are doing today. The US soldiers and tank crews speaking in front of the camera like the "intercepted" Russian calls, dead kids and adults, kids limbs torn apart.

War is ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ah that's grand, sure in that case let's stop giving out about Russia's cruel invasion of a sovereign country and focus on bitching about one of the countries helping Ukraine to free themselves instead.

• Advertisement

Read the thread title and it will tell you what this thread is about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement