Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosing Stores

• 30-06-2023 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am moving store bullocks onto fresh grass next week after grass, and I'm hoping to sell them in 6-8 weeks. These cattle are between 500-600kg and were dosed with tramazole drench about 8 weeks ago. Question is I was thinking of dosing these again or is there any need to as them seem to be thriving ok. And what dose would you all be using at this time of the year I was thinking of Ivomac super or one of the generics but the withdrawal is 66 days. Or should I just use the tramazol drench again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

Mart or factory?

Any obvious signs of needing to be dosed & what's theyre adg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

If they arnt coughing or scouring and are thriving leave them be.

They might start coughing in the coming weeks and may need to be dosed for lungworms though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If you are concerned you could go with something like Albex or Endospec which also cover lungworm and adult fluke. They have a withdrawal of 14 days for cattle. They are oral doses and may not suit you to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Did any of your vets talk to you about dosing. Mine had a a chat with me when doing my test. The department through Animal Health Ireland are providing a testing of dung samples free though the vets for worms & then advise on what your dosing regime should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dung sampling is a good idea. If you dose, don't move them onto new grass for 48 hours. Otherwise you'll infect the new ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭limo_100

they will be going to the mart and they should be going for forward feeding at that stage. No they are not coughing or anything so am I just wasting my money then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Every cost has to be justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭50HX

Stick them into a pen in the slatted shed for a few hours, take a sample of pooled dung for testing.

For the sake of a few quid you'll know what you are at esp with cost of ration

As Anto said contact AHI rep for your area, if he/she is any good they'll organise it for you

Not sure it will even pay to keep feeding these stores with the prices currently sliding and they are already getting 2kg/head a head but will increase this now next week. how much meal do lads feed stores at grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

What breed are they? Are you QA'd? You should finish them yourself if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

Unless grass is tight stores shouldn’t need any meal. Let them grow a frame on the grass first and then meal them for 60-90 days for finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Good loser

I am QA assured but I think there 2 far back for me to finish, also because it is a mixed batch of stores mostly Charolais some angus, Herefords and even a shorthorn so now an even batch 😐️ Maybe I should finish the AA,HE and SH as they would come in quicker and could be killed at 650kg live couldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I'd say meal is a waste of time and money on grass for the continentals at this stage. If you split out the he/aa you could push them and finish in 6 weeks. But prob best leave them all run on and some will come fit on grass alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Draft out the AA,HE and SH cattle. Depending on grass type will determine what you feed them. From late July on the risk is lungworm IMO. If I was dosing them I would use an ivermectin pour on. Its has a 30 day withdrawal. Issue is while they may be ok now in 3-4 weeks time lungworm could be an issue.

Cost if ration if buying in bags is an issue. Any decent hi maize ration is 450+/ton. I be inclined to see if you can source barley and maize. I would say both can be got in bags for less than 400/ton. Its not ideal because you have no fibre source a small bit of hay or straw in a ring feeder or throw along a hedge or ditch would solve that if cattle are going onto good after grass.

If those traditional breed cattle are 575+ you should do better in the factory if they are approaching 30 months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Decent 50 percent maize is anywhere from 430 back to 390, between lakelands and fayne valley.

That is good value provided it's a low Protein and high fibre nut/ ration.

Buying barley/maize/hulls with mins and molasses blown into bin @340/ton

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

12 maybe 14 protein. Your deal is even better. There is good value and bad value out there if everyone shops around

I am buying a 4T load blown into a bin. With the TAMS out there any YF where they are buying even 6-8T a year should consider one.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement