Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Hi. Here is some FACTUAL, and can easily be verified, reasons why it's time to stop the open door policy.

I teach immigrants. I live in Ballaghaderreen. I teach Algerians, Iranians, Georgian, Ukranian, Nigerian, Kosovan. Men and women, an entire spectrum of work experience.

Last week, another 500 Romani people arrived in the town. Again, zero consultation with anyone. All public services in the town told to basically suck it up and support them.

There are now more asylum seekers than native Ballaghaderreen people ( and I'm including second generation Pakistani families who have been living here for years) currently resident in the town.

With one exception, the Ukrainian folks, All of the new arrivals are searching for work. That's their number one priority.

So, there is now a top-heavy population centre in a small rural town. There is nothing to do here. Teenage A.S. kids hang around the woods and side streets every night, bored. This boredom resulted in the harassment of the local Parish Priest, who had to move back to his home place out of town because he "felt afraid". Local women and some men, do not walk or jog, as they used to, anywhere in the town.

I could go out right now, with a brick, and smash every single window of every parked car, right up to, and including, the Garda Station, and not a thing would happe.

Why?

There are no Gardai in Ballaghaderreen. The station is open for a few hours 1 day a week. And on court day.

The above situation is repeated in countless towns around the country. The locals were not consulted for a specific reason. That was that the politicians knew that there would be pushback from local figures.

There is a train coming down the tracks that politicians and folks on the fringes do not seem to be noticing. ( think about this...I'm very much on the left and I'm a teacher, and even I'm very worried).

All its going to take for this train to crash is one serious incident by any asylum seeker, against any resident Irish person. That will be the straw, I think.

In towns where there is little to no police presence, vigilantes will appear and the results will be catastrophic for all concerned.

Driving a rented Hyundai suv around the town for an hour second day is not going to cut it.

When I asked why more gardai could not be deployed from castlerea, we were told that they were all to busy dealing with major assylum-related issues in Longford!

The whole system is a powderkeg ready to explode.

99% of the asylum seekers that I encounter are genuine, scared, people.

That 1%, though, in every town.

Doesn't take much to overwhelm services. I've seen it happen in Jordan and in Syria.

Placing asylum seekers into rural towns with low Irish populations and little services, without any consideration nor consultation, will prove to be one of this nation's greatest mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

To hell or to Connacht! If the natives are now the minority in your town then it's unlikely you'll see any revolt to the invasion. It's too late by the sounds of it.

We've had plenty of incidents between asylumers and locals already. Whenever you see 'mental health' attached to the headline theres a good chance its imported crime.

We're relatively passive as a nation and we've had it so good for so long that we're fairly soft. I think we're another full generation cycle away from proper race fueled riots ala France/UK. But they're coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

While they may not be housed in the same as the general public, but it isn't just about housing. It is the overall infrastructure, childcare facilities, medical facilities, public transport, etc, etc.

Placing large numbers of people in a place that is remote offers those same people very little chance to integrate and build purpose in their lives. As it is they may be far removed from the cultural norms of Irish/Western Europe, and be alone. Stranding them away at the fringes of society is only going to lead to resentment and radicalisation. All the while the stretched infrastructure has to accommodate more people than it can handle. Waiting times for Hospitals are already bad, ambulances are even worse!

We nneed to reevaluate this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But it's not supposed to be a "positive". Handling refugees is not supposed to be a bottom-line exercise where there needs to be some form of socioeconomic profit. Posing questions that demand to know the hard positives for an area when refugees are being hosted there is never going to yield satisfactory answers because it's something being done to deal with an international problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The number of former refugees and those with leave to remain are much higher over 30 years. In recent years the trend has increased . Then take into consideration those who have had children . Eg Most Africans here would be former asylum seekers .

https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/what-we-do/workplace-and-skills/employment-permits/statistics/

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Advertisement

Really ''we had virtually no refugees or asylum seekers a decade ago '' !! Do try to be factual .

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/IRL/ireland/refugee-statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

This absolutely infuriates me, especially after seeing the video of the violence in Drogheda of people outside their free social housing causing trouble in broad daylight. All of a certain ethnicity let's say.

I guarantee those people haven't worked a day in their lives nor have made any positive contributions to society but have been handed a golden ticket to a free life.

Then we have people like my family, friends and colleagues who did everything right but can't afford to rent any decent in this country.

We are certainly heading for even more trouble in the not too distant future. France II, I can't wait to live like that. Not.

Every town, city and village being turned into a shoitehole!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

Any chance of linking the video of the violence in Drogheda? I never heard about that. (If it's relevant to this thread - I'm not sure if the certain group you are talking about is travelers or Roma and if it was them it probably won't be allowed)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's probably from some random Facebook group and isn't in Drogheda at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The whole refugee policy may seem chaotic, lawless and disordered but let's not forget about the Ireland 2040 plan.

Irish women have a fertility rate of 1.786 I believe. That's below replacement level!

The plan of Ireland 2040 anticipates an extra million people on the island.

Somebody, somewhere has some kind of insight into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Fertility rate would be a lot better if working couples were actually able to get somewhere to live.

I know a number of couples in their late twenties/early thirties putting off getting married because they don’t want to be in the position of having a baby while having uncertain outlook for housing. If working people could get actually get a house together like previous generations could you’d 100% see an uptick in our fertility rate.

Not even to mention the singletons in their 30s still stuck at home. Hard to be active and successful on the dating when you can’t have people over or back after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Will certainly make for 'a more blended integrated society' , all living at home with granny and grandad ! ;)

I agree with your point wholeheartedly , Stephen .

Housing should have been declared an emergency in 2015 when homelessness was creeping up and children were being housed in hotel rooms.

How many ministers for housing have presided over this now at this stage ?

This is the main issue , everything else follows on from lack of housing .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i find it very hard to understand why this guys problems with people looking at him a bit funny is more important than the safety of females he may come across

He clearly poses a threat and will continue to do so

surely it is rational that this person be returned to his country of origin rather than e facilitated here.

I mean what is the positive side of allowing him to live here ? and if there are some how could thy possibly out weigh the negatives

Man who raped one woman and tried to lure another into car jailed for 10 years – The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

He's in custody isn't he?

Sure you have to see him do his sentence anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

He sexually assaulted a woman in the UK in 2014. (In guessing his asylum was denied there) he came here and was granted asylum in 2018. How in the name of God can you be granted asylum when you are a danger to women? Are there no background checks done?

He says he is blind yet was driving around looking to rape women.

Jesus. No wonder predators are coming from the UK here to claim asylum.

Is a deportation order in place now once he is released? Or will we like I fear just let him stay .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

5000 applying for an apartment is no surprise - not in NGO clownworld anyway, the new normal I suppose.

Do u have kids?

If you did and move to a new area, finding a nearby creche, school and doctor are some of the questions that kinda get asked fast.

It's no surprise a below market rent apartment would be highly sought after!

Particularly in a housing crisis, not sure what this has to do with refugees though.....

No mention of deported, 3 years supervision after release. No doubt back to his disability allowance for blindness and driving away. Allowed asylum here after fleeing from the UK!

That judge should be sacked for no deportation order.

With 5000 applying would it possibly indicate that the country is full? If you had kids finding local creche, school, doctor etc is kinda useful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

The rate we are taking people in was unsustainable last year and it's even worse now. As someone said Ballaghaderreen is now Irish minority, that is ridiculous. France and Germany have guilt associated with their past colonization of places which is why they decided for example in France's case to take lots of people in from Algeria.

The difference is we owe nothing to nobody. If year by year the ethnic population of Nigeria for example was becoming less ethnic Nigerian it would be seen as a crisis, there would be articles written, on how to solve it, what's the cause etc but in Europe, this is happening and it's viewed as progressive.

We have this attitude in Ireland, sure it will be grand but it won't be and the more people we take in the more life is **** for everyone. Cos there only ever enough cake to go around. It's not about not wanting to help we don't have the means to anymore.

I know older people than I who had their medical cards taken from them yet some lad lands here and boom here's a medical card for you. How do you think that makes people feel that lived here their whole life, paid taxes and some guy comes and gets a medical card. Is it the asylum seekers' fault, of course not but the reality is they don't care about the person who got their medical card taken from them, they don't care about the students who don't have a place to stay in college in Sligo, they don't care about the rural areas who might feel uncomfortable with so many being moved in so the question why should we have to care? We are viewed as soft touches.

Ireland in 1990 had a population of 3.5 million today we have 5.5 and that is not including the 100,000 we have taken in. That is a 60 percent increase in our population.

UK in contrast in 1990 had a population of 59 million and today it's 67 million. That is a 15 percent increase.

In the UK there are something like over 50,000 people trying to get asylum, we have 21,000.

As I have said so many times before, it's basic math.

It would indicate that the rent was below market rates, as pointed out in the article you linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He should not have been here to begin with, asylum for different eye colour, what ever next, our entry system is a joke

The court heard the native of Pakistan sought asylum in this country due to his appearance as a result of ocular albinism which “set him apart” and caused him to be “bullied and ostracised

The immigration officer that granted an asylum request like that should also be sacked.

Coming from a safe country like Pakistan should automatically not even be entertained. Compulsory flight the very same day should be handed out to anyone like that.

O'Gorman and the rest are also responsible for this. The Pakistani national may have committed the crime but it's O'Gorman and the rest that held the door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Charlie Flanagan was the MoJ when he was granted refuge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Right wing AfD in Germany reach an all time high.

The EU really should look very carefully at the policies they’re pursuing with regards to the current crisis. The policies are actively fuelling a shift to right wing politics across the EU. A more balanced approach is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

The EU is a failure. It's on it's downward trajectory now. Europe is in for a very dark, turbulent period.

A refugee that should be deported after sentence , another one that got in past the so called vetting . He was convicted in the UK in 2014 for a sex assault . The Judge said he is a danger and likely to reoffend !! 

Tensions continue flare in Ireland on new arrivals moving to areas without consulation .

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/tensions-flare-ireland-grapples-refugee-30382173?utm_source=irish_mirror_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Your "basic math" calculations always seem to exclude the inconvenient numerical calculation of 5 million people fleeing westward from Ukraine after the outbreak of war, on top of all the other refugees around the world, and the inflection on global movement of refugees with eased travel restrictions post-Covid.

You go on as if this all were some long-standing permanent policy of the Irish government — completely ignoring the context in which it's happening and seemingly on the assumption that the State just intends to keep welcoming more and more refugees until the country collapses.

Your 'basic math' is just that — basic — and without appreciation for complexity and nuance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

He came from England not Pakistan. Committed sexual crimes in England too.

Advertisement