Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you find a boundary?

Options
  • 02-07-2023 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭

I've the landirect.ie map of a place and the documentation you pay for to go with it. Area is a field within a field the only defined boundaries are with a road and an existing fence. Two sides are undefined and are somewhere in the middle of a field. Any previous physical boundary would have been lost at least 25 years ago.

Can you just take the XY coordinates from the online map and get someone to plot them on the ground? If thats the case who would do that work and how much? Ideally I need two points on the ground defined to check a boundary. I can scale off the map and use other landmarks but I'd be at best within one meter and at worst 2-3 meters off. Scaling off the map and lining up with features on the verge shows an error of at least 10m between where the boundary is on the map and where I have been told it is.

What I have done to get a scale is measure the length of a known boundary wall and use that to make a scale from a print out of the online map.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,043 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Get a local land surveyor (engineer/technician/surveyor) to mark it out for you. Depending on location and time spent it could cost you several hundred.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,535 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The official land registry maps are already to scale. Anything you do to change that will be incorrect.

The land registry map simply shows the lands a that are registered to that folio.

If there's an ownership issue IE the boundaries are wrong, you will need to rectify this.

I'm also slightly confused as to the correlation between a "boundary lost 25 years ago" and the validity of being told now where that boundary used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

They are to scale yes but that scale varies according to your screen size.

Where can you get the maps that are quoted in the registration document? The refence is to OS maps but not in any format that I can understand?

I'm not sure if there ever was a boundary? Its one piece of land inside another and the outer piece of land is so poor for farming with difficult access that it hasn't been farmed in years. The boundary I've been told lines up with a telegraph pole which is fine until you look at the landdirect.ie map and see the telegraph pole is obviously well outside the boundary by at least 10m (no new poles in years so thats not it).

If its only going to be that much it might be worth getting someone out to do mark it out? Only needs two points the rest then falls into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Have a look on Google Earth Pro map, depending on the area you might find an aerial/sattelite image from 2000 or before, The 1985 image will not be clear enough though.

Failing that you could use the 'overlay image' function on Google earth to superimpose the online version of your landregistry map.

• Advertisement

They are to scale yes but that scale varies according to your screen size.

in your op you said "landirect.ie map of a place and the documentation you pay for to go with it", so it was suggested by this that you actually had an official land registry map. It seems you dont now, so the obvious thing to do would be to purchase an official land registry "to scale" map. This is done through landdirect at the point where youve already been. You select the applicable land... but instead of "print current view" you just "add to basket" and select "certified copy folio with map"

those "print current view" pdfs are absolutely not supposed to be worked with.

Thanks, OK found it but is it going to be much use?

Choose a Product

Certified Copy Folio With Map,   € 40.00

I am aware that the map may be printed at a scale that is not suitable for registration purposes

...From 01/07/2019 the PRA cannot accede to map scale change requests or re-issue a 'Certified Copy Folio with Map' at a different map scale where the original request was made under this service. If map scale is a priority customers should consider availing of the Special Registration Map product. See mapping guidlines - Appendix 8a Official Property Registration Authority Maps. Click here to view guidelines.

What additional detail will I find on this Map that isn't on the publicly available map?

If it makes any difference original registration of the folio was originally created in 1999.

it will be printed to scale, either 1:1000, 1:2500 or even 1:5000

that means you can use it to measure.

when they say "may be printed at a scale that is not suitable for registration purposes" what they mean is that you may have a 1:5000 scale map, which isnt acceptable if youre trying to use it as a land registry complaint map in order to register something new.

What additional detail will I find on this Map that isn't on the publicly available map?

as above, the maps will be to scale.

you could also check the OSI site to see if the boundary from the land registry map is reflected on the OSI map, even if it doesn't exist on the ground. if it does exist on the OSI site you can purchase it in cad format for even more accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,043 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As stated above by syd the map will be to scale. This brings us back to your initial query. If you get someone to mark out the boundaries on the ground then the purchased certified copy of the map is required. No professional will work off the free unscaled copy.

When ordering the map choose the 1:1000 scale if available.

Advertisement