Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

It's how a business works, you know. Laughable stuff.

Of course, everything you say is correct. Hiding behind well-known business networking terms to use it to live a life well-beyond their means, pay people under the counter, and falsify public pay records.

How to run a business 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

cautionary tale, no doubt long forgotten by many in RTE, who were well able to dish it out and inquire into the lives of others in the most minute detail, but don't take too kindly when they same focus is targeted at themselves when the situation warrants.

That's a key point the RTE journos would take delight in delving into the most prurient details of other scandals. They would twist and turn it to get as much out of it as possible like a dog with a bone.

Yet in their own organisation they want to try and get the curtains pulled as quickly as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Any idea where I can view these Government guidelines on events?

Your tender example is the wrong way around. It's not RTE tendering for someone else to provide a service, it's RTE trying to offer its services to clients, i.e. schmoozing clients to get them to buy advertising slots. Neither A or B would lose out in this situation due to client schmoozing. They both could buy advertising slots. Nothing illegal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Irishdancer

AFAIK, there is scope to appoint an "Authorised officer" at ANY time to an organisation.

TBH, the Minister should be appointing either an "Authorised Officer" right now, OR advising us that a representative from the C&AG is being seconded into RTE to oversee accounting functions on a temporary basis. It's PUBLIC money.

Failure to do this is akin to a landlord knowing there is a hole in the roof of the house they rent house, it's pssing rain, and not bothering to do anything to do anything about it. It's utter negligence and abdication of responsibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

From RTE

The Criminal Justice (Corruption Offences) Act 2018 makes it an offense for any person to corruptly offer, give to, or accept from a person, a "gift, consideration or advantage" as an inducement to, reward for, or on account of any person doing an act in relation to their office, employment, position or business.

As a government entity they should be held accountable because it is tax payers money. I know all sorts are going on in private companies but we should demand more from government entities

Of course I am not naive and know RTE and other government entities are up to all sorts and getting dressed up as business events

How to run a business. As reported in The Sunday Times:

One source who spoke on condition of anonymity said: “Astus became a verb. On occasion, more members of RTE attended events than clients.”

It was also used to cover the cost of taking advertising clients to concerts by the Eagles, Harry Styles and Westlife. Food and drink were laid on, often at up to €53.30 a head. Some events were attended by more members of the commercial team than by guests.

“It is clear the barter account became a vehicle for concealment,” said Timmy Dooley, a member of the Oireachtas media committee.

The concealment began in February 2020 when RTE executives were renegotiating Tubridy’s contract. They found that an extra €120,000 had been credited to his account in the previous three years, while he under-delivered on his contractual obligations.

Tubridy had inexplicably been paid €20,000 more in 2017 and an extra €50,000 in both 2018 and 2019. These transactions have yet to be explained and are the subject of a review by the consultancy Grant Thornton.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is also about the best advertising slots. And whether RTE were using what was offered as barter as a junket for decision makers and their hangers on.

And so accepted a lower than market price for the advertising slot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The key word there is 'corruptly'. Corporate entertainment isn't illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Irishdancer

1. Restructure management salaries along Civil SEervice Lines - a Sec Gen as boss, Asst Secs as board, and then Civil Service Salary levels as it works its way down.
    2. for those involved in commercial activities (as in seeking advertising) incentivise their pay LINKED TO WHAT THEY BRING IN - it's called performance targets in other business. This isn't something new.
    3. Compare pay rates for other broadcasters in other countries and align it to population sizes. I believe it would revise pay rates downwards.
    4. Is there a worker rep on the board? If not, put one on it.
    5. C&AG/ Authorised officer should be appointed to the board long term until public trust is restored.
    6. All RTE vacancies advertised on www.publicjobs.ie and managed by www.publicjobs.ie
    7. All Board vacancies advertised on www.publicjobs.ie and managed by www.publicjobs.ie - use of Top Level Appointments committee to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Fair points except that Civil S rates would make it very hard to live in D4 for many.

Also very difficult to reduce the rates of people already in excess of the Civil S rates.

Also, crucial going forward, to state the obvious, RTE requires a super strong risk management/ internal audit team. They need a very sensitive system that can control the input, processing, and output stage, monitoring all finance operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Decentralisation is a great concept why should everything be in 1 county which by in large it was at that time.

However I will agree the motivation to do it was purely to show how great FF is and keep TD's in job as they say look what I have done

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Speak in Proverbs

What you’ve done there is lump everyone in Dublin into one bucket. I know you’re more intelligent than to do something like that but maybe not. There are sociological, political and economic similarities between certain groups of people in this city but they also apply to rural people just as much as city people. In short those sociological, political and economic similarities are more prevalent when viewed across political party lines. There are certainly subtle traits that differentiate Fianna Fáil supporters from Fine Gael to Sinn Fein even if they all come from within a one mile radius. Your attempt to lump us all together is simplistic and devoid of any real thought. Would you like it if I said every single parish in rural Ireland is filled with poisonous conservatives? You needn’t answer that because I know the answer is you would love it. 

In short, I don’t believe you are a country person. You’ve very conveniently lumped all of South Dublin people together to exonerate the corrupt few by hoping you can make them hide in the integrity of others surrounding them. By creating a rural versus city conversation you’re creating a buffer around the culprits here - Forbes, the RTE board and Tubridy. 

You think you can create a set of circumstances whereby they can take refuge amidst all us Dubliners by labelling us all incorrectly in the same category. By doing so you hope to create a perception that we are viewed all the same by country people which is entirely false. To make me defensive and make sweeping statements about country people to change the terms of reference of this debate and turn it into a town versus country debate and give the culprits refuge amidst their fellow city dwellers. 

But they are not the same. The people in question operate on different terms. They generally use political advantage to alleviate their shortcomings. They outnumber people through left wing populism and take the reigns of power despite not having done the hard work growing up. They get given privileged positions and use nepotism to promote their supporters. They outnumber and overpower form a young age. Blackrock College has 79 out of the past 120 schools rugby titles. The next nearest is 12. What is their modus operandi? Why such fury and need to impose their way of life on others? Real democracy is friendship but their form is division and poisoning the chalice like you are doing here. And overpowering others.

You my friend are one of those snakes posing as one thing but in reality are entirely something different. Your resentment of success and achievement is proof of that. You’re not a country person you’re a Ryan Tubridy supporter trying to muddy the waters. Your attempt to divide the readers here with a class and country Vs city debate, to move the goalposts is severely underhand. I have no doubt where you come from and it is not the country, and your softly, softly language isn’t fooling anyone around here.

Post edited by Speak in Proverbs on

….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

I didnt say it was, you came up with that on your own.

My post was clear. It said Client schmoozing isn't a crime but can be

You went off on a tangent then .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You could take several of those slots inc Tubridys straight after the morning news, stick in virtual unknowns and they'd return similar figures. We don't need RTE's concept of Irish celebrities to host them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I honestly didn't even know Ray Darcy was still on the radio. Another fella with a job for life

• Advertisement

Yeah.. you'd need to have some little sympathy for the Burkes, having people putting the boot into them day after day. Just for standing up for their own principles.

Tubridy's principles on the other hand were more to do with maximising his income and to hell with how the money was accounted.

One has morals they stand by, the other morally corrupt!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So depends what your principles are,and if you agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The crux of it all for me is why pay these salaries for a few hours on radio a week? Its not like there is huge competition for them, they won't get the money anywhere else. Who else would pay RT 500k a year? He's so bland and doesn't evoke any emotion in his conversations with anyone. Would Virgin or Newstalk be lining up for RTE's top "talent" if they were out of contract? I know they took Pat Kenny but that was early days while establishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭Tow

Government tax money. Do you remember the scandal when when AdvancePitstop gave holidays to members of the Garda, so they could get the contract to sell tyres/service Garda Cars.

There is a difference between giving a few free RTE Guides, pens or maybe a dinner and flying customers around the world for a weeks holiday, at 18k a head.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

ADVICE ON COVID AND BUSINESS ANYONE?

RTÉ presenter Ryan Tubridy's agent was in receipt of significant Covid-19 supports when he engaged in the now-infamous scheme to hide a significant chunk of his biggest client's earnings.

Business and Revenue records confirm talent agent Noel Kelly received hundreds of thousands of euro from the Government's Employment Wage Subsidy Scheme (EWSS) between 2020 and 2022.

Mr Kelly's businesses also received a grant from the Government's Live Performance Support Scheme during the same period to organise a music event.

In all, these taxpayer-funded Covid-19 supports contributed at least €492,000 to firms owned jointly by Mr Kelly and his wife Catriona.

While in receipt of these grants, Mr Kelly was putting RTÉ under pressure to pay Ryan Tubridy's secret top-ups - at a time when all other staff had their pay cut by 15%.

Since 2020, two of Mr Kelly's firms - Cleary Consultancy Ltd and Century Merchandising Services Ltd - have benefited from these supports.

Both firms were listed as recipients in Revenue's 2020 list of those afforded EWSS support.

Mr Kelly's businesses also received a grant from the Government's Live Performance Support Scheme during the same period to organise a music event.

Century Merchandising Services Ltd was listed as a recipient in 2021 and 2022.

According to filed accounts for the company, Century Merchandising Services received €492,000 in Government grants up to the end of March 2022.

This amount is likely to include a Live Performance Support Scheme grant of €68,759, awarded for a three-night concert in the Bord Gáis Theatre with the renowned soprano Celine Byrne, who is understood to be a client of Mr Kelly's.

According to the company's accounts, profits at Century Merchandising Services increased during Covid as employees grew from 15 to 23 between 2021 and 2022.

The company posted a €177,000 profit in the year ending March 2021, at which point it had retained earnings of €479,000. The following year it posted a €230,000 profit and increased its earnings to €709,000.

During this time, Mr Kelly and his wife shared remuneration payments of €176,000 in 2021 and €184,000 in 2022.

The couple's other main firm, Cleary Consulting Ltd, also increased profits during Covid, paying the couple €136,000 in 2021 and €114,000 the following year.

The MoS asked Mr Kelly and his wife whether any of the Covid-19 supports had been repaid since their profits had increased.

However, they chose not to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nothing but part of the “system.” If he qualifies, then nothing to see here.

Yes, but the key is was it illegal? Being “carefree” and even “reckless” with public money isn’t always illegal. It’s the system that allows it.. that’s not to say it’s not “wrong,” just that it is designed for abuse, I guess.

That's hard to believe - if true it's shocking and conjures up the image of pigs at the trough.

• Advertisement

I did....was he illegally in receipt of these monies? Does your post show/prove that NK was involved in any financial illegalities?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement