Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Horrible morning. Cleared for short period. Dark and threatening again.

11⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The wind looks to be with us right up until the weekend. I have a nice covered seating area at the house so can be outside in almost all weather once it's warm but the wind just makes it impossible. It's also strong enough to ruin my garden, I've a lot of flowers now that have lost their petals, some of my veggies are wilting and the leaves are going brown on the trees. I really hope we get another settled spell or 2 or else it is going to feel like a very long autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Niall145

Autumn has basically started 2 months early; I've already given in and booked a trip to Spain in August

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was away the last 2 summers but this is pretty much how I imagine Irish summers. Cool, some sunny spells, monsoon downpours, wind, ad nauseum. The nice spell we had there for weeks was great so at least we had that but what we're currently having is my idea of Irish summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Wow that's a treasure trove! Fair play to you. I haven't heard of mudlarking apart from the bird and the great cross country runner and Olympic medalist Tracy. Where do you search? Is it along the Shannon estuary?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

To be fair, there was strong signals of it lasting a very long time but it all collapsed and should have known it was too good to be true.

The air is quite cool for July today as it originates from Svalbard despite it being a westerly. No doubt if this was winter we'd still be well into double digits.

It's July 3. The weather this time last year was crap and look how it turned out. I'm sure the wind will die down soon...

I think people forget how rubbish June ended and July started last year though we started seeing high pressure by the 7th but mostly cloudy still. We're not likely to see that for a while this year.

Heavy rain shower here in north Dublin for past 10 mins, very dark cloud.

It was brutal. I remember it well as had some time off and couldn't get out on my bike for a good few days due to the rain which is very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hailstones now in Swords :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Had an absolute deluge of a shower about half an hour ago with a few rumbles of thunder with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

ECM is the wettest run I’ve seen for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

while I hate this weather

Soaked cycling into work. Weather appeared to clear around 9.30 am till 13.00 hrs. Rained during my lunch so missed my lunch time walk. Seemed sunny during the afternoon. Now about to go home, but am looking at the impending black cloud in the inevitable met.ie radar rain deluge due.

Now sitting in the office awaiting the deluge to pass.(there goes my planned gardening activities this evening too). Pain in the arse weather!

Blustery and dark in Meath. Think I hear thunder.

17⁰ Meath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thunder again here at Dunshaughlin, not very loud, just low volume rumbles in the distance.

Might be an outlier. That widespread 100+mm area of rainfall is predicting a band of rain to become stuck over Ireland giving nearly 48 hours of continuous rainfall over this weekend while heat gets lifted north over the UK temporarily. The other models are nowhere near as wet as that for Saturday into Sunday and brings the rainbands across Ireland with ease and into the UK so rainfall not as disruptive on the other models.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Look at how much rain yr.no has for Sligo next weekend. That would be exciting for me with my new weather station as long as its not too stormy. Doubt those totals will verify. Probably mainly mountains that will see that but there could be Met warning ⚠️ for 30 to 50mm of rain Friday and Saturday.

Do guys n gals here not like weather? I do. I was getting bored with all that heat in June. Go live in Spain if ya want that. I love the wildness of our climate. Could be 30c one day and 14c the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Can't get over how cool it is, 14 degrees in July is absolutely brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

About 4 degrees warmer than mid winters often are.

I can’t wait until the “white gold” threads start next winter I must tell posters bemoaning the lack of snow to move to Siberia…..

More thunder now at Dunshaughlin and skies are black to my west. This is certainly turning out to be the year for thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Probably the same distant rumble I heard to my east, from Trim. Main part of the shower went just to the south of me so I continued watering the tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Yep pathetic so it is. Really hope it warms up again even if it remains unsettled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Anywhere where there is mud collecting like sea inlets, rivers, mud banks etc. The muddier the better although not always accessible and need to be careful. Can also be found in ditches, land clearing, old farm house middens, building works and such like . Plenty of legwork with lots of fruitless offerings at times after hours walking also but always great to get out in the air and learn a bit about the history and geography of the area.

I take it all back about liking the fresh air 🤣🤣. Today was a bit nippy in the wind for sure, was around town in a short sleeve shirt and got fairly cool towards the evening, glad of the red curry for dinner! A cool 14.6C atm. Going to take a few more days before the temperatures pick up a bit, Thurs might be alright in a few parts getting up to the high teens, Fri and Sat maybe the low 20's for good parts of Ireland but with rain and humidity, might be some decent Thunderstorm activity though over the weekend so a bit of interest there. Touch and go as to if we, or part of the country, gets all the heavy rain showing up on some of the runs from the end of the week. All depends on the track of the low and the trailing fronts being dragged up near or directly over us. Looks like there could be a fair bit of instability and warm moist airmass and we could tap into a nice bit of Deep layer Shear as the low and troughs go through their axis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

That’s one thing about Ireland, your mildest winter day will have similar temperatures to your coolest summer day without much effort.

The TVF48CR coming from Paris Orly this evening through a rainbow following one of many downpours in Dublin.

Wow @sryanbruen

It looks great out. So bright out with decent views on the horizon. Was expecting more showers all evening. Should have went for that sea swim except its 13⁰.

Didn't go when we had the warmer spell whoops.

Clear, bright and cool. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's 11 and 12c in West now. I know it's 9pm but on a good day it would be over 20c. Distinctly Autumnal. Was dry and sunny most of the day in Sligo but since evening there's been many showers and one big downpour.

Yesterday forgot it was Summer coz it was cold windy but sunny and then at 10pm remembered coz it was still bright. But 10c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Skies clearing nicely for tonights supermoon on the rise around 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I thought that maybe with the sea temps near us we'd at least hold onto some heat through the summer.

Nope, it's absolutely Baltic and the wind in the last few days has been the bane of my existence. Takes all joy from walking anywhere. Some nice sunny spells on rare occasions but misery besides that. Should be JuLie instead of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Yeah, it's absolutely crap right now. Summer has most definitely left these shores. Back to average 16 to 18c daily maxes, plenty of cloud and showers / rain about. And breezy / windy. Standard fare.

Would love to see some hope on the charts, because July for me is peak of the summer and when I want heat the most before the nights start to noticeably draw in.

Advertisement