Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists' responsibility for their own safety *warning* infractions given liberally for trolling etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thread successfully derailed... but if someone driving doesn't see me with my german standard front and rear light, plus my garmin varia radar rear light, I really don't see a builders vest making much difference. The biggest cloak of invisibility is the phone in the drivers eyeline distracting them, not what people outside the car are wearing.

To be honest, I've had this argument before about black and dark coloured cars before (lather, rinse, repeat) and I'm not going to indulge in it. It's merely an attempt at deflection from the real issue.

If cyclists / PPT users don't want to take every precaution to be as safe as possible, like I said earlier, fine.

But if they come a cropper, well, as I also said earlier, on their own heads be it.

They can't refuse to take every precaution available to them to keep safe after dark, and then turn around and claim someone else's eyesight is the problem when accidents happen.

What's that motto?

BE SAFE. BE SEEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As a driver, I would disagree. You aren't looking out my windscreen so you wouldn't know what I can see best. The hi-viz jacket makes a big difference, like it or not.

As a pedestrian, it makes an even bigger difference, if a cyclist wears hi-viz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You can see lights further away than hi viz. If no light hits the hi viz it doesn't light up. Most cycle lights don't throw the beam that far. So won't pick up a vest, until you are on top of it. So while you think you can be seen in your hi viz, you can't, at least not soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The vast vast majority of my road use is driving a vehicle. I wear an RBS jacket commuting on the bike not because I genuinely think it makes a difference, only to not anyone off the hook should the worst happen. For leisure cycling the below remains my most effective "hi viz"... "Recording my journey" more effective than any reflective material I know of!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'i'm going to advance an argument and then not going to justify why i expect it only from one side' is pretty disingenuous. you're saying the actual colour of cyclists is key and then refuse the rather obvious observation that that should also apply to vehicles?

'the people suffering from the danger must go the extra mile' is an inversion of the standard triangle for safety. and notice where PPE comes. remember - this triangle deals with what causes the danger, not who is exposed to it.

In that 2nd photo the bike is lit by at one or more other light sources. You can see the colour of the bike frame. Which is why the vest is also lit. (and the stop of the helmet). Even the road surface is better lit.

The first picture isn't. So it's all staged.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can anyone say why so many cyclists are so poorly or not at all lit ? It’s not as if modern USB chargeable lighting is expensive or difficult to maintain.

you can purchase a front and back rechargeable light and get them delivered for about 25 euros. Buy two sets and keep one set spare…. It’s common sense.

A hi-vis will cost you under a tenner. Buy two, keep one spare.

no point in cyclists asking drivers of cars, vans and trucks to do their bit but won’t entertain doing their own to make roads safer. 😵‍💫

Totally the lack of enforcement.

Usually on a bike it makes sense to have two front and two rear in case one fails. Having a the spare set at home in box isn't much use.

HI Viz was designed to make people stand out in the day. It's the reflectors that work at night. But not as well as lights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth pointing out in relation to hi-vis - there are usually two components to what people refer to as hi-vis jackets.

the first is the flourescent material they're primarily made from; these are no better than a simple brightly coloured jacket at night because AFAIK what is needed for them to flouresce is UV light falling on them. which is absent at dusk/night, and is not a component in the light the vast majority of headlights produce.

the second is the retroreflective belt. these reflect light directly back at a light source, and that relates back to the comment i made about dipped headlights earlier; one anecdote which highlighted (!) the issue to me was years ago i was cycling on the cycle path near east point business park, and a lad was on a bike in front of me and i was muttering to myself that he had no lights on. but then, a motorist who was behind us turned on his full beams and i was nearly blinded; the cyclist in front of me was wearing a pro-viz jacket; which if you're not familiar with them, are made entirely from retroreflective material. and it was worthless till that motorist hit the full beams.

however, you can be guaranteed that cyclist thought he was the bees knees, having spent significant money (€150+ IIRC) on a piece of hi-vis equipment which was less effective than a €10 light. and that's the frustrating thing, going by the RSA literature, it's all about the jackets, and many cyclists buy that message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Laziness. You've to put effort into having them - ie, buy them, charge them regularly, make sure you take care of them.

The path of least resistance is to have none at all.

I've been caught out a couple of times over the years on my own commute (had my lights stolen this winter and didn't have any backups to get home with unfortunately) and it's really not a pleasant experience at all. I don't know how anyone can cycle around like that and feel in any way safe.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I thought this thread has reach it's productive end... but on request, I've reopened this thread.

i think that's the experience of a lot of people, if they don't carry the lights around with them all the time (e.g. take them with them when they pop into the shops), they'll soon be nicked.

'i'm going to advance an argument and then not going to justify why i expect it only from one side' is pretty disingenuous. you're saying the actual colour of cyclists is key and then refuse the rather obvious observation that that should also apply to vehicles?

There are no "sides" here. That's a big part of your problem. You see everything as "sides".

Making nonsense arguments about the colour of much larger and brightly lit vehicles on the road is what is disingenuous. As an aside, have you seen the recent thread on the brightness of headlights?

Imagine telling someone they need to "justify" what should be plain common sense, and ultimately in their own best interest. 🤦

Jesus wept.

"I just can't understand why someone wouldn't take every precaution they can to make themselves as visible as possible, including lights and high viz - it just makes no sense to me."

*your* emphasis on the 'as possible', not mine. but you apply that to cyclists only - not motorists. and that's what's called taking sides. you are literally stating that cyclists should change the colour of their clothes but think the corresponding argument in relation to cars is nonsense to the point of absurdity.

it's common sense that *if* black cars are involved in more collisions that white, maybe we should consider legislation on car colour. based on your opinion about taking every precaution possible, i cannot countenance why you would object to that.

FWIW my car is black.

Apparently, it's a sheer coincidence that you notice those wearing high viz, and if you don't see the ones not wearing it, then it's because your eyesight must be bad, @blanch152.

A cyclist said so.

Confirmation bias.

Only seeing (and hearing) what you want to.

Then doubling down with a litany of fake facts and proofs.

A very good point, but in fact, we do make changes to cars. There are regulations around cars being lit up in a way that is most beneficial for them to be seen, e.g. fog lights, dipped lights in rain etc. If there is evidence that changing the colour of cars would make a difference, let's see us. Even Cycling Weekly concedes that hi viz and lighting up makes a difference to the safety of cyclists.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/what-is-the-evidence-that-wearing-hi-vis-clothing-makes-you-a-safer-cyclist-358674

I am not suggesting either or, I am suggesting both. You also need to take into account that a cyclist travelling forward won't necessarily notice that their rear light has failed. The hi-viz jacket as opposed to a black jacket could be the difference between being seen at the last minute and not being seen.

Bit of rubbish article. Makes no distinction between no hi viz or hi viz and lights or lights only. Your sweeping generalisation is similarly vague and not specific.

It does mention that its hi viz is intended for day use and reflectors are what more efficient at night. So it complete refutes the dogma on this thread for hi viz at night.

• Advertisement

That's an argument for two rear lights. Not a vastly lesser alternative of Hi Viz designed for daylight.

I never said cyclists should "change the colour of their clothes" - more disingenuousness on your part.

Putting on a high vis belt or vest when starting your journey, is adding an additional item. I really don't see why this is such a problem.

And I also apply it to motorcyclists and pedestrians if they're walking after dark, and in particular, schoolkids.

I drove a motorbike for years, I wore leathers to protect my body, a crash helmet to protect my head and a high vis vest so I could be seen better by other road users, as my commute in the winter was usually in the dark and sometimes dark and wet. In other words, I did everything I could do to be as safe and seen as possible.

If high vis is as worthless as you seem to think it is, then why is it worn on every building site? Why do the Gardai and first responders wear it at accident sites?

Your argument about cars colours is still nonsense.

Its so they can been seen during the DAY. Its the reflective strips that are seen at night. Jeez. How often does this need to be repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The Garda paint/mark their cars so that people can differentiate between a marked Garda car and Joe Soap in his Dyno-Rod van.

Night time visibility of cars is taken care of by the RTA to have lights on a vehicle and to use them under certain conditions but as Flinty would say no enforcement means people get away with Blue/Pink tinted lights, Blown bulbs, Misaligned lights etc. that only get picked up ( if we're lucky ) during a cars NCT.

It is hightime that enforcement of lighting regulation were enforced for all road users that are subject to them. Also probably time that a safety campaign aimed at pedestrians was forthcoming. just because you can see me DOESN'T mean I can see you.

Showing my age now but I still remeber the Wear Something Light at Night campaigns

Is it a legal requirement as in the UK to use dipped headlights when visibility is less than 100m? I thought there was some legislation pertaining to it but Google is not showing up a lot in relation to Ireland even the RotR is scant with information on using dipped headlights during rain and only refers to heavy rain

Use dipped headlights: just after the beginning (dusk) and before the end (dawn) of lighting-up hours; as long as they are needed to let you see clearly; when stopped in traffic; when meeting other traffic; in built-up areas where there is good street lighting; on continuously lit roads outside built-up areas; when following behind another vehicle; where there is dense fog, falling snow or heavy rain; when daylight is fading; and generally to avoid inconveniencing other traffic

To be fair. People need to realise when they talk about HIViz it is usualy a combination of the two types. A photoflourescent element and a reflective element. If a garment is to meet EN471 class 1,2 or 3 approval it MUST combine the two elements.

https://www.hivis.net/blog/57/high-visibility-standards-explained-bs-en-471/

I'm not even sure if you can buy purely photoflourescent garments in shops

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Using dipped headlights during the day has historically been a bit of a no-no here, i remember having a Volvo during the nineties which automatically ran with dipped lights and ended up disabling it after several comments, from drivers and pedestrians, as to why they were on!

Thankfully things have moved on with drl's and light and speed sensors, but you'll still get drivers here who'll never put them on unless it's dark. Still remember hiring a car on the continent over a decade ago and during the day getting flashed by nearly every driver i passed, didn't know why until i realised i didn't have the dips on, it's just the norm there.

I think our understanding of safety has moved on from the 1970s wearing a light coloured flashers coat

• Advertisement

Street lights and car lights. Who are they trying fool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement