Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Are there any 10s at all coming through the school or youth system at U18s level that we should be excited about? I don't need a name, I just want to know if there is anyone at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ljsulster

I've been waiting for a long time.

In just over 30 years we've produced 1 regular Irish out half (David Humphreys), another who was making his way in the squad and probably would have become a regular but for off the field stuff (Jackson) and a third who we never gave a chance to and who had to go to England to make his career and therefore never got a chance with Ireland (Steenson).

It's not a good enough return. But then we good to say that about a few positions. Who was the last regular Irish full back that came from Ulster?

We produce decent hookers and decent wingers and the occasional "other" player like Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Every province has gaps. Who was the last Leinster-produced scrum-half to be there or thereabouts for Ireland? Not Gibson-park. Not Murray. Not Boss. Not Reddan.

Having said that, I agree with your concern about outhalf. Burns isn't good enough at top provincial level, and, in fairness, has to play game after game with niggles. That's the position we need to bolster. We have brilliant backs and Burns has gone backwards.

To be fair we've had a lot more gaps than Leinster and Munster over the last 25 years or so.

For what it's worth Reddan was originally Leinster produced.

• Advertisement

Reddan played for Munster schools and U19, then went Connacht, Munster, Wasps, Leinster. Not sure how he's Leinster-produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Are you surprised at all we didn’t try for Foxe or Morris? We seemed to have selected ulster guys over guys who made the u20s.

Of course, they might not have wanted to come but they don’t seem to have a landing spot anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What's the feeling on Brigg? Very surprised when I saw that. I was impressed with him at schools level.

Don't know enough about him myself, but I've seen a number of folks on T'Interwebz who think a punt on him is a pretty canny call.

I’m surprised someone leaving that young. Leinster guys usually wait until they know they are not getting in with leinster. I can’t think of the last one who left this early. I’ve never seen him play though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Plenty of Blackrock games from the last two years on youtube if anyone fancies a watch. I said before but he's a good player, good enough that I was very surprised he was leaving but he's also the sort of player I could see missing out on the leinster academy to a player who's bigger or faster or possesses some other elite he lacks that grow on trees in Dublin. I think he'll be better than several of the backrows knocking around our squad anyway.

Can't really comment as I haven't really watched any of them, maybe our coaches rated them roughly the same and decided to back our own. Missing the u20's isn't the end of the world but I'll admit it is a telling sign - there can't be many who've missed the squad entirely to go on and have successful careers? Baloucoune would be the first name to spring to mind and Sheehan was like third choice. Doaks has next year but he'll be up against some decent props.

I imagine we have been looking at them at least, prop is a bit of a crisis position for us in terms of depth. The TH from Clontarf has been brought in for training as well apparently so we're obviously exhausting all avenues in trying to sort it out.

I like what’s happening right now. Seems like a reset year. If enough guys from postlethwaite, wilson, mcnabney, crothers, mcloughlin, sheridan, izuchuwku can take steps forward this year, and these 11 new guys bed in and show promise… the ball can really start rolling downhill next season.

I didn't want to name names but he has every chance to better than several others as well. We are very light in the backrow lol

I'm more pessimistic after what's happened over the last year with apparently limited funds to improve. I know Petrie told us what we wanted to hear about playing a better style and giving sharing game time around, but do we have the players or coach for it? Of those players you've named I'm only really excited about Postlethwaite and Sheridan next year, Izzy I'm cautiously optimistic about and I think McNabney has come on leaps and bounds from last year but might not really make an impact for another year or two.

We'd be very well if 5/6 of those new academy players become regulars that can consistently contribute to winning games. We'll see what they're about next year for the u20's I suppose.

Oh, yea i dont think we will be good. I just want to see young guys take steps forward.

I was impressed. Good physical lad with a good engine. He could be a surprise. Good on Ulster to bring him up to Belfast.

I'm surprised at how well Foxe played yesterday. Very impressive performance. He's built like a prop too!

I would say that Ulster have some great prospects in the academy. I really think Wilson will go places. McNabney looks a complete player and is better this year, McLoughlin was great for the 20's.

MacFarland was very poor last season. The team was mentally soft. That's on him. If there's no improvement, he should be shown the door.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Charlie Irvine apparently turned down an academy place last year. Glad he got another chance and chose to take it this year.

Glad to see such a large intake. I felt it was needed.

We only had seven academy players left after those development deals that were announced so I certainly see their reasoning. We seem to be casting the net wide and I would wager there's some decisions made here with the long term budget in mind - we've brought in an AIL prop and one that was playing semi-pro in australia so I think they are hoping that we can produce at least one from the academy to fill that sort of gap instead.

The size surprised me but we had the space, so why not I suppose. I could easily see one of the new back three recruits making their debut shortly after they play u20's given the drastic drop in quality after Baloucoune and Stockdale, or maybe before depending on injuries. No rush though.

Got mixed up, my sincerest apologies...

Had it in my head he came through Leinster and played for Munster when it was clearly the other way around.

Based solely on U20s I'm hoping Scott Wilson and Lorcan McLaughlin can make an impact, but no idea how they've been doing in AIL. But agree that Postelwaite, Sheridan and McNabney would be the three main hopes and Izzy as well, just not sure how hebhas recovered from his injury.

Longer term, and again just what I saw in the Schools Cup, it will be interesting to see how Lukas Kenny goes over the next 12 months. At schools level he looked a cut above, but obviously there is a long way to go for him.

Yea I only watch the odd AIL game on YouTube so no idea about Wilson or McLaughlin.

I don’t expect Kenny to get any game time over the next 12 months, maybe a little off the bench in preseason. But with Lyttle and Gilroy off I imagine any backup minutes will be spent figuring out if sexton or moxham are up to it. Could see postlethwaite filling in there as well.

But we have three good wingers in my mind - stockdale, baloucoune and Mcilory - two of which have injury problems and will train with Ireland, so I imagine there are squad places to be won over the next 12-24 months in the back three.

Indeed. Ironically, we're better covered at 15, with Addison, Lowry, Moore and potentially Shea O'Brien, if he kicks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

I've watched most games he has played either live or on youtube. There were a few murmurs that he missed out on a Leinster Subacademy place this summer but it could have been wrong. I personally wouldn't have given him an academy contract straight out of school. I would have had him as missing out on the Leinster Academy next year but that class seems heavy on tight 5 forwards to me so he might have gotten a contract. Seems like a good decision on his part because I don't think he was ever going to break into the Leinster backrow. At his size, I only see him being a 7 in the pro game. Which probably doesn't suit his attributes as a player.

• Administrators Posts: 53,709 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No away game in France next season, we play Toulouse and Racing in Belfast.

Worked out well for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

As good as it could get

• Advertisement

Bath is a nice trip to make for a rugby game, but I'd had it in my head that I was finally going to see a game in France this year. Watch Ulster get knocked out early just to piss me off.

Advertisement