Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Interview of Norway's equivalent of Tegnell, Preben Aavitsland and Finland's Mika Salminen in a Norwegian newspaper.

Sweden got it right and the unjustified criticism was due to Sweden offering an unwelcome contrast to the narrative the other countries were trying to push.

Full article translated in the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Tbh I would really like some reputable organisation like Eurostat, The WHO, the UN or whoever, to firstly rank countries' covid responses fairly definitively by metrics like overall excess deaths, and possibly 1 or 2 other key measures.

And then I would like to see them interpret that data intelligently, & apply controls to those results to allow for things like demographics, population density, risks of disease due linkages to neighbouring countries, borders, etc, etc.

From this we could then more clearly see which countries did best under their particular circumstances, and from that it should be then relatively straightforward to see which specific measures & practices were best for keeping populations healthy & thriving through and after covid.

I realise there's alot in that, but we're well into the age of big data & AI, and I would have thought that's the kind of data analysis task & report that a large, neutral organisation working in this area should be able to produce without too much bother.

Tbh, I'm quite surprised that there hasn't been a fairly definitive attempt at this already. Maybe there has been?!

From what I can see at this remove, Sweden probably got a lot more right in their covid response than wrong , and certainly far more right than most countries initially gave them credit for. I would like to see some attempt to normalise their excellent excess death rate scores for things like their demographics, excellent health service (proxied by say # of ICU beds per 100k), and population density say , so that we could then more definitively compare their relative performance versus their Nordic neighbours say, and versus countries such as Ireland.

Without doing this work it's not possible to definitively say whether Sweden's overall covid response was better than Ireland's say, but certainly looking at the excess death rates since covid (2020 to date), it seems highly likely Sweden did a good deal better even allowing for their lower population density, better heath service & less infected & infectious neighbouring countries.

But as I say, I'd like to see this analysis done properly before being too definitive, as until then this is just a guesstimate based on fairly raw (non controlled) data.

Post edited by daithi7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The WHO has skin in this game though. Not sure they can be replied upon for an impartial analysis.

Why is that? Because they have guidelines on specific measures to adopt during covid?

In that case it might be better if another organisation did this review alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yes, because the Swedish approach sort of undermined the strict WHO guidelines which most other countries followed quite eagerly. I don't think its in the WHO's (and those other countries) interest to validate the Swedish approach.

I understand that may be a bit of a broad sweeping statement and I'm not saying I'm denying the WHO being capable of a decent review, but I see a conflict of interest nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

It is also because the second biggest financial contributor to WHO is a private individual - Bill Gates. Yet another conflict of interest.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Depend down even the most pro lockdown/vaccinated know Covid was a nothing bugger, lying to themselves that we lived through through a deadly virus, if it was we wouldn't have a housing crisis right now would we? Should have been plenty of free houses from the dead.

By the time the vaccines did come the illness wasn't much worse than a cold or flu

The average age of death from covid was higher than the average age of life expectancy ffs :) and practically no excess death has been observed for anyone below 60 in good health.

And virtually all respiratory illness were diagnosed as Covid anyway and it still couldn't do much damage to younger people

Look at how flawed the science was, I am sick doctor, we will do one test and that's it

Imagine bringing your car to a mechanic and he just did one test on it if was giving trouble, a negative or a positive :)

At the end of the day everything big that happens in the world is driven by money and Covid was know different

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Cuba developing and distributing their own vaccines was money driven? How did that work?

Too late on the market, didn't get approval till late 2021 and you can't give Pfizer and the likes that kind of a head start, the Mexicans and Venezuelans bought some, they tried to break into other markets like Vietnam etc but sales were disappointing overall. EspromedBIO didn't have the brand awareness or marketing power to trouble big pharma rivals and being stateowned by Cuba politics of course affected sales

Pity as would have been nice to see Cuba make some $

• Advertisement

If COVID was nothing, then approval shouldn't matter, why would Cuba create it's own vaccine? What was the business plan there? (I mean you understand that export controls meant they had to create their own or source from a friendly country, which shouldn't matter if COVID was nothing, they could have done nothing and save on the expense).

Just trying to get some critical thinking going here, because this wasn't a "western big pharma" money grab.

$$$

Someone somewhere in Cuba was making money from these

Or do you think Governments care about your health lol :) You do, haha

"someone" in Cuba made all this money and convinced the authoritarian cuban government to go along with COVID controls just for sh*ts and giggles?

Your post is nonsensical.

Do you think any government care about the health of their population?

Yeah right. Try telling that to all those relatives of those dead in coffins on the streets around Milan? Or in France? Or even in London for that matter. Can you remember those!?

Covid, was most definitely not nothing. It was really quite something imho!!!

FYI, (Excess) Deaths are only 1 metric of the health of a population also btw e.g. long term adverse effects on people's health by contracting covid was & is also quite something, especially if people were unvaccinated when they were infected, and hence got a far more severe infection.

Who is to say, some of the very high excess death rates that we're currently seeing in Ireland (~13.7% over trend), aren't caused by the secondary effects of being infected by covid e.g. People getting pneumonia, &/or cardio vascular &/or inflammatory conditions, etc now that are killing some of them because they caught a nasty dose of covid 12-18 months ago which affected their long term health!?!

You only saw what they wanted you to see, the ambulances in London circling the city because hospitals were full, the bodies in Lombardy, people dropping dead in Wuhan, on our propaganda screens 24/7

Were you in London, Italy, France, China etc?

I was in Ireland and Poland throughout and didn't see any of that, if it wasn't for the TV I would never have known a killer virus was out there, we got a different virus or our measures were so much better?

Long covid is responsible for all the excess deaths? Sure everyone in the world got infected, easy to blame it on that.

Unvaccinated deaths haha, Poland has 50% vaccinated rate and the population increased during covid years

• The current population of Poland in 2023 is 41,026,067, a 2.93% increase from 2022.
    • The population of Poland in 2022 was 39,857,145, a 4.04% increase from 2021.

Watch the leader of New Zealand and try not to laugh :)

How people fell for that shite

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Last year they were blaming the heatwave for the excess death, I see this year they are going with the long-covid, next year will be probably some other excuse: anything is good as long as we avoid having a proper investigation on cause/effect.

Who are "they" Stevie!?

I only saw & read what was broadcast & reported on like any other person in any country. We have a free press, data has backed up what we watched & was reported on at the time, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make tbh.

Bill Gates didn't put microchips in our vaccines, governments restored civil liberties when the risks from the pandemic abated and deaths, severe disease & the overwhelming of health services were prevented... so look I'm as critical as the next person of governments & civil servant leaders, but I can't buy that conspiracy theory BS that some here are peddling!!!

You saw one side, it was clear as day the risk of sarscov2 to healthy young people was practically zero and the vaccine passports were the most unscientific rubbish ever as well as the masks, we could never argue that side, we did what we were told like good little sheep. Bill Gates might not have put microchips but the man and his buddies made incredible €€€ from it, "vaccines my best investment ever" his words. Governments stretched that rubbish out as long as they could, when it became clear that the unvaccinated and vaccinated had more or less the same chance of catching sarscov2 and you might as well have injected holy water to prevent sarscov2 they had to drop restrictions. They could have dropped everything in summer 2020 and we have been fine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing to do with Sweden but your misunderstanding of how vaccines work is quite shocking at this stage. no vaccine has ever stopped anyone in a side by side with an unvaccinated person "getting" or "catching" a virus or other causative agent. What it does do at a population level is lessen the affect and / or time that people get ill or remain infective for due to it's priming of the immune system. Therefore reducing the burden on a population mortality and resource wise. I'd say you are looking for the conspiracy forum but what you are saying isn't even in that realm, it just doesn't make sense. Anyway, this was fun, back to work.

Stop the gaslighting bs

They were marketed as stopping transmission, protect your nanny and loved ones, you don't remember that?

No one wants to talk about covid anymore because it was the biggest load of bs ever and people like you pretending they didn't say protect your loved ones and community, get your vaccine.

Can you not remember the cases on the news everyday? Vaccines will kick in soon said Dr Tony and the health experts, cases will drop.

Honestly I'm finished here as morons like yourself pretending they never said that, they said it would only prevent deaths and hospitalisations guys like your self are insufferable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm going to be civil despite the name calling.

They do reduce/stop transmission as you seem unable to grasp. A typical vaccinated person will typically clear the illness quicker and potentially be in the spreading stage for an incredibly short period of time compared to an unvaccinated person as well as having a significantly reduced viral load.

So they do catch it (for want of a better term) but the level of symptoms from infection is typically lower as the immune system is primed, so gets to work almost immediately, the time to "get over it" is quicker, so less time spreading if they are, and as a result a lesser burden on the care sector. It's not being an idiot, it is having a basic understanding of health and safety. As with most things that are a danger (not all, but most), if you reduce the level or the amount of time, you reduce the risk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They weren't marketed as fully stopping transmission. They were said to reduce transmission and severity of covid. Most vaccines don't fully stop transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Any chance you might include the context that Gates may have made that statement in? no I don't think you will. You see he is a philanthropist, investing his wealth in improving global health, especially in the third world. People like you are manipulated into thinking out of context quotes reinforce your bizarre beliefs.

Bill Gates and the lizard-people are not secretly running governments, he is a person trying to do something with their wealth to improve the global health situation. People lacking in empathy cannot understand why someone would spend billions on other peoples welfare, so they respond by imagining some nefarious conspiracy instead.

But hey, if you prefer to be informed by some guy on facebook that unraveled the whole conspiracy alone, in his mom's basement, good luck. You serve as a lesson to us all, how deep some people can fall down the rabbit hole.

Ahh yeah an RTE man speaks, a trustful crowd, conspiracy sites bad, RTE, BBC good

No no....your stupid out-of-context quotes bad, context good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can't watch that video but there were numerous reports around the time saying that it might not stop transmission. Fauci and Biden's quotes do not invalidate this. You can not be infected and still carry a virus and spread it.

Another unanswered question is whether the vaccines, whose trials have shown that they prevent people from getting seriously ill and dying of COVID-19, also prevent people from becoming infected in the first place and, importantly, from passing the virus on to others. It could be the case, Fauci said, that even if the vaccines don’t prevent infection, they keep virus levels so low that they do prevent transmission.

Prevent transmission, not stop it completely.

The new vaccines will probably prevent you from getting sick with Covid. No one knows yet whether they will keep you from spreading the virus to others — but that information is coming.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210203-why-vaccinated-people-may-still-be-able-to-spread-covid-19

There are two main types of immunity you can achieve with vaccines. One is so-called "effective" immunity, which can prevent a pathogen from causing serious disease, but can't stop it from entering the body or making more copies of itself. The other is "sterilising immunity", which can thwart infections entirely, and even prevent asymptomatic cases. The latter is the aspiration of all vaccine research, but surprisingly rarely achieved.

A key point to note, however, is that the vaccine isn’t an end-all solution to the pandemic. That’s in large part because any inoculations developed now are focused on simply preventing symptoms from arising, rather than blocking out the virus altogether.

A key point to note, however, is that the vaccine isn’t an end-all solution to the pandemic. That’s in large part because any inoculations developed now are focused on simply preventing symptoms from arising, rather than blocking out the virus altogether.

The stupid thing is the same people giving out now that the vaccines don't stop transmission of covid when all the experts said it would are the same people who were giving out years ago when the experts said it wouldn't stop covid transmission. They literally posted these same articles and said the vaccines don't work, they don't stop infections, the "experts" even admit this lololololol. Now they say the experts lied and said they stopped transmission.

The purpose of covid vaccines was to reduce the severity of covid for people who caught it. They also thought they might reduce transmission (note reduce not stop). This was when there was first talk of vaccines before any even hit the market as far as I remember.

Stevie2001 has a history of taking quotes out of context and trying to twist them to validate his argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I can't believe what I am reading here: the very essence of the extended lockdown was because they were pushing the population to get vaxxed, the unvaccinated were the cause of the spread and you needed to get vaxxed to be a good citizen and stop the transmission of the deadly virus. Every night on the news they were making sure to specify how many unvaccinated were hospitalized, they introduced a totalitarian system that would allow only the vaccinated to gather because they were pushing the narrative that if you get vaccinated you don't get sick and you don't infect the granny. They created a 2 tier society based on an unverified lie (get vaxxed = immunity -> immunity pass, remember?) but still a lot of people out there are convinced that this is not true and everything was done for the wellbeing of the individual. Cognitive dissonance at its best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Vaccinations are a bit of a red herring with regard to the thread topic, since Sweden themselves also vaccinated most of their population.

On the other hand, and while we don't yet have all the data, what Sweden shows is that further research is needed to evaluate the negative effects of lockdowns and restrictions.

Champions of lockdowns and restrictions were convinced that Sweden, where life continued as normal for much of the pandemic, would have very high excess deaths over the extended period. Mathematical models were rolled out to show this.

Those who made these predictions about Sweden have been proven decisively wrong and Sweden is among the lowest for excess deaths over the extended period in the EU and not only that but comparable to those of other Nordic countries that had stricter lockdowns. If anything Sweden should have had much higher excess deaths than Norway since Sweden is much more connected with the reset of Europe.

What we don't know yet is exactly why this is the case but what is telling is the almost complete silence from mainstream media and those who were advocating lockdowns as the only way.

Advertisement