Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 xulon123

So the civil service is communistic ? McCarthy witch trials anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Aren't we all here because of RTE is suspected to be an enormously corrupt organisation? All talent is questionable, I have plenty of friends who think Led Zeppelin are just noise, or The Stone Roses songs all sound the same, yet both of those bands have a gigantic following.

RTE's pool of 'talent' is small, and in that pool, it is often argued how many of them got there on their own merit. I don't think it is debated whether or not RT did, or Lottie Ryan etc. (I still do not even know what show she presents, after looking her up on the RTE 2FM site and elsewhere) got there using their talent. But Tubridy's ability as the front of a show has always been questioned, and not by a small group. He could be interviewing somebody about winning the lottery and getting into the Guinness book of records for eating beans, yet he will have researchers find out if anyone in their extended family has cancer, so that he can focus on that for the larger part of the interview. He is a miserable fecker.

As for RTE producing quality, they have their moments. Reeling in the years, Love/Hate, Young Offenders, paths to freedom, Kin among others. But the shows that require a presenter is where they mostly fall down flat on their faces.

Saying that, would most polls not be many people of the same opinion, especially polls that are heavily lobsided? If you held a similar poll would they all suggest that RTE should continue to use contracters with agents the way that they have been, and that it is full of talent?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Rte stars are becoming toxic for advertisers…Renault and Toyota are off my list now.

What about Gambling and Spicey products?

Loads of room there for being creative.

The Hamburgler even looks like Tubs for a start.

Fried Gold for Tubs and McD's to bring him back as that character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Rte presenters don’t have to be employed on open ended contracts. They could be employed on fixed term contracts (2/3/5 yrs) or so that they are not stuck with them forever. Whatever type of contract they come up with, they should be on the RTE payroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If Googlebox was on RTE, how many of the people on it would suddenly become part of the NKM stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Some Rte cameramen are on zero hour contracts apparently.

It is glaringly obvious, particularly in the past week, that commonsense, not 'the market' needs to dictate salary rates. The expose of woeful incompetence, deviousness and lack of professional and moral integrity shown by current senior management, at RTE, all on salaries well in excess of 200k, illustrates just exactly the calibre of people we get when bloated over inflated wages are the motivator. We don't get the best people by offering super salaries - we get the worst, the very worst. Opportunists, ethically and morally bankrupt hustlers and scammers. Haven't we had enough of that from the bank bailout? and Ministers of Finance who don't hold bank accounts but got their money from winning on the horses and dig-outs.

The calibre of people we need in rte and in all organisations and professions, are those who value diligence, honesty and integriy above all else. Strangely enough people with these character traits are nearly always more competant and effective at their job than those whose sole motivation is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Can someone do a Boards poll on who will pay their TV license when it's up for renewal

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I remember seeing a clip of Jimmy McCarthy singing No Frontiers on TLLS and he was just giving a snippet of the first verse. And Ryan suddenly goes do the second verse for your Dad - just so weird, manipulative - just say let's have the second verse, please or keep going. Just no need for it, bringing up a dead father. Again, the obsession with the morbid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

The calibre of people we need in rte and in all organisations and professions, are those who value diligence, honesty and integriy above all else. Strangely enough people with these character traits are nearly always more competant and effective at their job than those whose sole motivation is money.

People deserve to be paid for their labour. The current RTE braintrust are clowns but that doesn’t mean that they should be replaced with noble, low quality employees who aren’t qualified or capable for their jobs.

That is what you’re suggesting, cheap high-quality television executives simply do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m only seeing the story about Lottie Ryan. Jesus Christ have they no self awareness at all ? A day after the tubridy story broke and she filed something for Toyota I think it was on the RTE campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Self awareness training is not something RTE does.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She’s a Mickey Mouse messer of a “broadcaster.” Twas to be expected.

'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results'

Albert Einstein

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

I agree he is a disgusting excuse for a human being. I never watched the lls except the interview with Sophie's son but I have seen reference to his using children like that little Adam boy to get viewers. How do people believe all these celebrities pr bs.

He loves misery, it makes people emotional and being emotional increases suggestibility.

He is no better than people like Gerrard Hutch and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You have to laugh at the sycophants claiming that if RTE don't pay the big executive wages then they won't get or keep the best executive "talent".

In other words, the exact same mentality that got RTE into this mess in the first place...

Imagine not being bright enough to see the parallels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

None of current executive board are at that calibre. Kermit I don't know you but I think you could do a better job then the current board. They actually disprove your point.

So if RTÉ need serious people, your suggesting that they should pay double what their current cast of Execs get? You can be guaranteed that Bakhurst and Williams were on more than the DG as Managing Director of News and Current Affairs.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree what your saying and has anyone on here being involved in any of these polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭maebee

That should have been done years ago. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Gerry always had some low cheap sexual banter on the few bus journeys I was forced to listen to him

Another time he was talking about how chldren will eat anything. One woman said she used to go out to the shed and eat pieces of briquettes

She hasn't a scrap of talent. Big mouth like the father

Nationwide is too sweet. Everyone featured is perfect. Just pr bs

A few could have been, but even on boards regardless of the actual numbers, the majority seem to be against him. Those Indo polls have been sh!t for a long time, I do not believe I have ever checked how accurate they ever are, but seeing as most of the indo is now celebrity based nonsense it would not surprise me to find out that the people polled amount to 40, or that they make a living out of rewriting NK's puff pieces.

I have not met one person that thinks he should be back on RTE, although I have met many that believe it was not his fault or he had nothing to do with it. My eyes are opened more and more every day to see how easy it is to get away with corruption in this country if you just deny all culpability.

This may or may not have happened. I cannot say for sure.

RTE since 2000 "We are haemorrhaging money badly, we need to do something and enforce pay cuts"

RTE in early 2009 - "Hi Ryan (and others) we are asking if you would agree to a pay cut of 10%. That is not a lot, and we need it to help us produce better programming"

RT - "No, sorry, Personally I do not want to, legally I have been told I do not have to."

RTE mid 2009 - "Hi Ryan, okay, you will not take the pay cut, we will offer you the LLS and more than double your pay to mad money roughly €750,000 per year. That should cover your real wages with the "Pay Cut" for a few years"

RTE in 2012 - "Hi, we are back, we may have made a mistake. We need you to take a pay cut, this time for real"

RT - "Yeah, that is no problem. Bring my salary down to €450,000 and tell people I took a 15% cut, and that I even donated to charity. Also make sure that it is published I said that I do not mind a pay cut, I am not here for the money, I do not need it. I can take it and I will not be found wanting". "The people will not realise I am still €150,000 better pff per year than I was when you asked for the first pay cut".

RTE in 2017 "We need everyone to take a pay cut. But this time it needs to be a real pay cut. We are fecking haemorrhaging serious money everywhere. Geraldine O'Leary is after organising a trip to Japan for a load of people and it is costing something like €18,500 per head. You can come if you want, but you need to take a real pay cut".

RT - "No, I cannot take a pay cut, I told you in early 2009. But if we can work out some agreement where it looks like I took a pay cut, I would be up for that. I mean, there are people going to prison because they are refusing to pay the licence fee, I cannot be seen to be the bad guy, and this place losing or spending money hand over fist is not helping at all. The Licence fee will rise p bad news for them, but they can help you lot out of this hole, however, I will not. I deserve this money that my Grandfather and uncles pulled so many strings for me to get."

Paying 240k is obscene when the payee has no talent, bland content and got in on nepotism. Claire Byrne is almost as bad, 300k for bland nonsense which I only hear at dental appointments waiting room

That is very funny. My answer would be 100 times yes.

"The current RTE braintrust are clowns but that doesn’t mean that they should be replaced with noble, low quality employees who aren’t qualified or capable for their jobs."

You are suggesting that we should leave the low quality employees who are barely qualified or capable of their jobs but demanding huge salaries to it.

Cheaper, decent quality soon-to-be television executives definitely exist.

Nepotism happens in local authorities, hospitals etc. I know someone who fell asleep at her desk when on work experience get job in hse cos father worked there. Ditto a girl on work experience kept on cos mummy was a nurse in the hospital.

The trick was to go on FAS course and get work experience in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Karppi

Neil Prenderville showed you can come back That still amazes me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

There are plans afoot to streamline and scale down RTE ... break it into 2 entities and differentiate between the public tax payer and licence money .... and the advertising and commercial money .... 55% of all comes from the former ....

I do not think anyone would miss much of what RTE do should it suddenly disappear .... and it is very clear the station has failed/failed much of the Irish public ...

Starting off it is very evident that Ryan Tubridy should not come back ... and that the pay of everyone else is capped/they do more work .... it is ridiculous that people get paid 200K upwards for doing just 1 or 2 shows and work around 10 hours max .... no one else in any other job gets that .... it is time all of these guys get paid what they deserve per hour like everyone else does ...

After that all that reality TV trash like Dancing with the 'Stars', First Dates Ireland, Operation Transformation, et al needs to go .... on way too long and that audience has had it too good for too long ... time others get a look in ...

2FM needs to go ... a station dedicated to only the worst modern music and closes itself off from everything else .... it is time music radio educates us rather than pushes modern drivel made by RTE cronies at us ... ditto for music on the LLS and other chatshows .... we have had way too much from modern space age musical cowboys with little talent torturing us with modern country music, contemporary songsmith music and boybands ..... all these have had it too good for too long to the detriment to all other types of music .... it also would not be a bad idea to get out of the Eurovision too ....

Comedy is every bit as bad as music ... sick to my teeth of seeing the likes of Alison Spittle, PJ Gallagher, Maura and Maeve Higgins, imitators of politicians, Mrs Brown, wannabe Mrs Brown shows, et al down the years ... none of them are funny and/or have run their course as is the case with Mrs Brown .... the fact that Mrs Brown was about the 'best' on last Christmas day on RTE says it all ...

Changing sets, theme tunes, etc. also needs to stop .... LLS looking right at you! ... how many times did Tubridy change his set? The theme tune was changed by Pat Kenny ... and changed back by Tubridy ... Kielty probably had/has plans to change both the theme tune and the set yet again ... all costs money ... ditto the news .... how many times has the news set been changed at this stage?? ...

It is clear RTE has been hemorrhaging money by giving it to overpaid presenters who are not as talented or as hard working as we are lead to believe .... as well as squandering it on useless reality TV programmes tailored for the canteen guest list that appear on the LLS .... and to change sets, promote poor music and comedy acts, etc. .... it is time the people have a say and that the public broadcaster becomes that again and not a promotional tool of Noel Kelly, Imelda May's management, Dermot Kennedy's management, et al.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement