Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

i'm not talking about long term vacancy, I am talking about the vacancy rate at that point in time. I think the census estimate is an accurate count of that figure.

Do you think that the vacancy numbers identified in the census are an accurate count at that point in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Why are you going On about short term vacancy numbers?

The fugures of interest in the discussion of housing stock are long term vacancies

People can't live in a propert that is not vacant long term, because they aren't vacant

Sheesh

It appears we agree that the census point in time figure is accurate.

I am just fascinated why nobody is interested in discussing the elephant in the room that it is way higher than you would expect during a time of shortage of housing.

Or are you suggesting that you don't think it is high?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This scheme is nothing more then a PCP deal on a house. Buy a 400k gaff and take a 250k mortgage out, that 150k doesn't go away, it's like a balloon payment. Atleast currently your buying a new house, that would be a ridiculous scheme to add to the "used" market.

its not high

It is low

As a result of the low long term vacancy numbers

The long term vancy rates are extremely low

There are no elephants, you are fascinated by nothing

• Advertisement

What people don't seem to understand is that the short term vacancies at a point it time are extremely important, as these include properties for sale, for rent etc vacant because they are between owners/tenants.

For example, where reasons for vacancy were known, there were 35,380 vacant dwellings which were rental properties between tenants. That is a colossal number compared to the numbers actually apparently available to rent at the same time. The same is true of properties for sale - a far higher number than you would expect given the apparently available stock at the time.

The vacancy numbers of the census are being dismissed along the lines of the only thing that matter is long term vacancies so you can disregard most of the census count because they're vacant for valid reasons i.e for sale or rent.

But that totally ignores the fact that the census is showing a number of properties for sale or for rent that indicates there is absolutely no crisis in supply.

That's why short term vacancies are important.

It's not the CSO disagrees with you

So you are wrong

For exactly the same reasons stated already

Short term will always be wrong, they are in use

You are incapable of understanding this simple fact

Email the cso I'm sure they can explain it to you

It's not the CSO disagrees with you

On what point does the CSO disagree with me?

Short term will always be wrong, they are in use

You appear to be reverting back to the argument that the properties are not actually vacant?

And the only reason for that explanation is that the CSO is not able to carry out the census properly. That seems unlikely to me.

They are not actually vacant

Why is the only type of vacant that is useful

They are only temporary vacant

Because someone lives there

This is why they have another figure, thele leccy one

Why do you ignore this

Dublin city council did a follow up on the 2016 cencus that shows this

Sheesh

Now if all thee houses are vacant why is it that you think they are just lying there unused

Maybe you can provide some useful info

As I expected, we're back to the argument that even though the CSO has recorded them as vacant - i.e uninhabited - we can ignore that because "They are not actually vacant" and "Because someone lives there".

But that's quite a stretch.

Because it essentially amounts to the idea we should disregard the census because the CSO are incompetent. Personally I've seen no evidence of that, and it strikes me as the least likely explanation.

Now if all thee houses are vacant why is it that you think they are just lying there unused

I suspect the most likely explanation is the most obvious one - it's financial. Opportunity costs are low. Considering low interest rates, attractive capital gains, and a regulated rental market, for most of them it is a simple case of risk/reward. It pays to leave them vacant.

That's far less of a stretch.

Whatever the explanation, you and I are going around in circles. We can agree to disagree, it is no skin off my nose.

• Advertisement

Come on now it is you who is stretching logic here

Massive returns on selling and massive rent

Regulated rent? Theres no regulation on these unrented vacant properties, you could charge top dollar

How can it pay to leave them vacant, it cost an arm and a leg to insure them too

Why if they are vacant are they using electricity in these vacant properties

And now prices supposedly falling and where are these properties?

You are just wrong, the cso says you are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Is there any chance we can carve off the vacancies discussion to another thread? It is an important subject but it is making this thread almost impossible to follow if you don't want to see the debate on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The census is a snap shot on one night. If you're not home will your property show up as vacant? It is vacant that night but if you are home next day is it really vacant.

In this day and age given people travel so much the number of vacant properties is not suprising. And travelling might not be the only reason for a property being vacant the night of tge cencus

It reminds when economists say the economy has full employment but there will still be an unemployment rate of at least 3% when at full employment l. Like there is now for instance. There will always be people between jobs or just new to workforce. But how can 3% unemployment mean full employment.

Post edited by ittakestwo on

The census is a snap shot on one night. If you're not home will your property show up as vacant? It is vacant that night but if you are home next day is it really vacant.

As I have pointed out numerous times here this is a very widely held belief that is totally untrue.

From the CSO FAQ on their vacancy figures:

A dwelling is classed as vacant by census enumerators if it is unoccupied on Census night, is not used as a holiday home and is not usually inhabited by occupants who are temporarily absent at the time of census.

They establish this over a few visits, asking neighbours, looking for sings of occupancy etc.

The wide scale dismissal of the vacancy figures from the census as nothing to see here is entirely based on number of fictions.

I take your point, but it does amaze me how few people who are interested in the property market, it's direction, impact of interest rate rises etc etc have zero interest in the glaring anomalies thrown up by the vacancy figures.

I raise it from time to time in the hope that somebody out there is willing have a more sensible discussion than just parroting a narrative that is entirely untrue.

IMO anybody who has an interest in the property market and the housing crisis should be asking themselves how did this narrative become so widely accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Nobody is interested as it has been done to death time and time again on this thread…

Yep, it's been done to death and still people believe that if you're away for the night on census night, your house is recorded as vacant.

The CSO will be publishing more detailed info in a few weeks on housing figures from the census.

If more is revealed on the subject then that shows we have significant potential spare capacity, would that be relevant in a property market chat thread then?

Or should we continue to say, nothing to see here, the CSO got it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Because its a complete red herring so long as the construction industry is out max output. There are no builders or tradespeople to make these uninhabitable vacant buildings habitable.

Its because you have been shown to be wrong time and time again

some sort of Illuminati conspiracy to delude the public with a false narrative by thousands of people with hidden vacant properties 🤣

the CSO disagree with you, they understand stats, you perhaps, more of a foundation maths kinda person

Again this is a total fiction. The CSO do not count uninhabitable buildings as vacant.

Every argument advanced for ignoring these figures is based on widely held beliefs that are simply untrue.

• Advertisement

except where the cso points out to not use these figures for long term vacancy rates, which is the whole point of this stupidity

every argument has been squashed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We are currently building circa 25k new houses per year

Any amount of vacant property would have to be massive to alter the market in any way.

How big do you think this proportion of vacants is? 10k? 50k? 100k?

Because unless its the latter it will do sfa to property market in this country. 25k new builds on average hit the market every year, and yet prices ate still climbing and supply is as scarce as ever. If that doesnt tell you the scale of demand for housing i dont know what will.

If we're building 25k houses per year and there are 35,000 empty rentals alone which is 20% of the vacant count, then yes that easily is big enough to alter the market.

there aren't 35k empty rental properties, why would you leave a rental property empty

can you come up with a reason

there are 1300 rental properties on the market in the whole of ireland

If you want to solely focus on long term vacancy figures from electricity consumption, fine, here are the key findings:

• The vacancy rate in Ireland for dwellings was 4.3% in Q4 2021, based on metered electricity consumption.
    • In Dublin, 2.3% of dwellings in Q4 2021 were vacant, compared with 5.1% in the rest of Ireland.
    • Nationally, vacancy rates have fallen from 4.9% at the start of the series in Q1 2016 to 4.3 in Q4 2021. In Dublin, there has been a small rise from 1.9% to 2.3% over this time. 

What does that tell us, is it higher than we might expect, lower, or about right?

Go and have a look at all of the experts commenting on this. They will tell you it is about right, or lower than we would expect. They will compare to another figure, either form a different jurisdiction or historical averages.

But the figure they use in comparison includes short term vacancies.

If you don't believe me, go and check it.

Indeed. You've spotted that it sounds odd the CSO could record 35,000 rental properties empty on census night whilst simultaneously there were less than 1500 publicly available on the market.

You're totally right. It does sound odd. But that's exactly what happened:

The number of dwellings attributed as being available to rent seems very high compared with what is available on websites. Why?

Properties which were declared vacant by enumerators on Census night and described as rental properties include dwellings which were advertised on websites as being for rent, short term lettings including AirBnB properties, and dwellings which were between lettings but may not have been commercially advertised. There were 35,380 vacant dwellings which were rental properties. This was more than 20% of the total stock of vacant dwellings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If (big if) there were 35k houses just sitting empty, and they came to market, it wouldnt make a dent in prices. 35k units is small change compared to pent up demand - otherwise our annual 25k output of new builds would see priced materially decrease somewhat.

Prices in actual fact have increased!

i do chose to rely on them, they make sense, you don't get false positives

no one is going to live in a house and not use leccy

the other jurisdictions use similar metrics, local tax paid etc for their metrics

the numbers make sense yes, tight market, contracting all the time

can you figure it out for us? what are you missing from this picture?

• Advertisement

35k houses brought to the market would make a massive difference

but they don't exist

Advertisement