Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

so why would you get a massive array for your house whose output would exceed the demand? I dont see that as an investment at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Output is highly unlikely to exceed demand in the winter months. Sure in the spring / summer / autumn periods that could be the case which is when FIT payments can be used to offset winter bills.

Interestingly (or depending on your view - annoyingly) ESBN new restrictions on output will limit the inverter installs in the vast majority of future installations to a max of 5kW which in turn limits the size of the array. So we're unlikely to see too many +8kW arrays going up for the foreseeable.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

A few reasons:

1. FIT is currently very attractive; you can eat into any ROI period by fully taking advantage of this while it’s possible.
    2. Even very large arrays will struggle to support the demand in the winter months. So it makes sense to oversize.
    3. As mentioned; EV’s and Heat Pumps are likely on the agenda for a lot of people; it would be expensive to have a few panels installed; only to have to go back and install more later when the EV / HeatPump arrives.

Fair enough I was talking with a fella who is getting a 14Kwh array with a massive battery with no intention of getting an EV and that dident really make sense to me.

I hope the FIT is there long enough or at a suffient rate to be abe to pay that back as therwise you could be just pissing the money away. I guess im more stingy I see more value in using the energy rather than exporting it. But yea with its current implementation the FIT could help soften the blow in winter. I just hope he can get his thousands back over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Your reasoning is completely at odds with the government’s policy on solar PV. They are actively encouraging people to install as much solar as possible.

If he has gone with an array that large he must of used the NC7 ESBN connection method; which also means that he is able to avail of the CEP (Clean Export Premium):

Link:

https://assets.gov.ie/244404/1477c2aa-9fbc-4c30-b4f7-454136806d33.pdf

Table of rates:

What this means is that he’s guaranteed at least 0.135 cent per kWh exported for the next 15 years.

This doesn’t prevent him from getting paid more than 0.135 cent if the suppliers want to pay that (as is the case now).

• Advertisement

ah ok dident know about the 15 year thing, good to know!

No grant under 6KWe? ouch

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

The wording is possibly ambiguous.

I don't think domestic get the guarantee 13.5

Eg

[Domestic]and [ non domestic under 6kw] get SEAI grant but no guarantee.

[Non domestic over 6kw and under 50kw] get no grant but a guaranteed 13.5c.

It doesn't say about domestic over 6kw. Only large non domestic.

The nc7 won't move you to being a non domestic customer.

I think there is a balancing act with all this. the scenario I talked about was person with no plans for EV getting a huge 14Kw array. I get you want to over produce especially to offset the winter bills so it it will pay to have aslightly large array than your house needs.

But 14kw? madness. Its "investing" in solar panels so you can get FIT to pay for panels ou dont need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, 14Kwp is a "bit of a stretch" if you ask me (and I've 8.8Kwp). To give some balance though to the argument, he could be trying to get self-sufficient for more months of the year. Here's the PVGIS expected output of 7Kwp & 14Kwp. We'll assume south facing as we don't know. Naturally the output would be lower in some other config, e.g. east/west

With the average household being 4500Kwhr/year, and the typical skew towards using more in winter. We can say that roughly you'll want to use about 500 Kwhr (maybe 600 Kwhr) or so a month in winter. In feb, Oct and Nov above, you'd not get there with 7Kwp, but with 14Kwp you'd be close. Dec & jan of course the sun is simply too weak.

Course the summer production is way (way!) more than anyone needs with 14Kwp unless you have a big family and lots of showers/washing/etc going on, and even at that.....a bit of a stretch.

Still if someone wants to install that, they'll be producing green electricity and pumping that power to their neighbour. That's not a bad thing. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Different folks, different folks.

‘Madness’ is very subjective. What’s mad to me might be perfectly rationale to your and your circumstances, beliefs, hobbies, spending power…

I’d agree that people shouldn’t invest in solar solely based on a high FIT rate remaining in the longer term. Would it be mad or kind if I could let a neighbour charge their car for free?.

What if solar is a hobby? There is never an ROI on a hobby. What if that makes the person feel good as they are for-a-fact reducing emissions for them and others with that excess? That matters to me personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I can see the point in accounting for winter but without a battery to capture all that energy for evening/EV use would be the mad part to me.

Would it even be feasible to offset huge amounts to cover your evening use if you didn't get a battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

With the current FIT rates, Its hard to make batteries pay.

I have what ive generated and what ive used directly (ie from solar, to house use directly, not counting anything that went to a battery or even the EV charger) In 2021: I generated 6542kWh, and would have exported 4215kwh if I didnt have a battery or EV charger.

Im with energia, so 18c, That would work out to €758/yr.

In 2021 my batteries saved me €343/yr, that includes load shifting. (10kwh) (unit rates were 15c/7 and 20/5)

in 2022 batteries saved 553, but I upgraded to 20kwh, rates(20/5 and 27/8) -renewal is the end of july

Took some more crazy pills and went to 40kwh at the end of 2022.Really hard to do like for like comparisons between years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

it's not all about money.

Sure, 100% money matters - but the demographics for people reading these forums are generally environmentally friendly and people want to do right there as well as save a few quid. I always reckoned that 5-10Kwh was the "sweet spot" for a battery, it's hard to cycle a 20kwh battery daily. There's only so many washes you can do or showers to take. that said, like Graememk, I've plans to go to 20Kwh. Not because it will save me money, but I'm in the camp that I want to be as self-sufficient as I can. It'll be a fun project the DIY aspect of it.

Oh I agree it's not all about money. I have way too much battery storage, although it only cost about the same as 10kwh.

The only way I can use the 40 is charge the car from the battery. The car isn't at home during the the day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

My battery is smaller at about 30kWh. But at this time of the year I am using it to charge the car slowly later in the day and night.

It is the only way I can use that much energy as the car is rarely at home during daytime, maybe one day a week at most. I assume a lot of people are similar.

And I'm on the deemed export so trying to use as much as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Im searching for a meme of scrooge mcduck sitting on a pile of gold... But the gold is the electricity stored in yer big batteries @graememk @MrQ

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

I have been told by my provider that I need to be on a smart tariff in order to avail of the FIT. Is that correct? Is the above a smart tariff, and if I sign up for this, will I be paid by Flogas for the electricity I export from my solar panels? I am ashamed to admit, I have had the 4.92 kwp array since December and haven't seen a cent for the electricity I exported. I am now out of contract with my provider and looking for the best smart tariff. Can you guys help me? Thanks

Just to clarify, I do have a smart meter, just not on a smart tariff at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Nope. Smart meter here, Flogas BWG 24hr dual fuel (non-smart plan) and have already received an export payment 24c a unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I believe suppliers can do this but the only one that does is SSE as far as I know

Might be time to look at another supplier, although don't expect any straight answers from their customer service department as they're actively trying to move people to smart plans

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

so if you have a smart meter installed but on a non-smart tariff (eg 24hr), then they won't pay you deemed FIT? who's your supplier, Electric Ireland?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

It is SSE. I want to switch now as I'm out of contract. Would the Flogas offer posted by con747 be the best to move to at the moment? I would expect to purchase around 2,000Kwh p.a. and feed-in around the same.

What's your current rate? The BWG day rate is, with rounding, 30c and export payment 24c.

You would be paying 6c net for your electricity, while maintaining a non-activated smart meter.

Ask SSE if they can beat that :)

Currently paying 42.49c ex VAT, no feed in credit and 76.03c per day (Rural) standing charge!

Any votes for BWG Flogas ?

but if you move to Flogas with a 24-hour tariff on smart meter, you won't be getting any export credit from them either, will you?

Just did exactly that and am getting 24c feed in.

Isn't that what Busman Paddy Lasty just implied though? .. that I would get 24c per Kwh export credit on that tariff?

that's great to hear, plough on so! though begs the question why you weren't getting any deemed CEG payment from SSE since December?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Advertisement