Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭greyday

IF you kill your weakest early on, you get lower excess deaths later, brilliant thinking from Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Astartes

Sweden had a bit of wiggle room as their health system was/is basically fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,225 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Why would Sweden have taken a position of being in favour or opossed to vaccines when their strategy was chasing herd immunity ?

If you are asking where did I get the information from that the strategy was chasing herd immunity it`s all here in this very thread and straight from the horses mouths of Tegnell and Giesecke from Tegnell e-mails obtained by a Swedish journalist under freedom of information. Those e-mails also included some between Tegnell and his Finnish counterpart that shows the callous attitude of Tegnell in his determination to follow his and Giesecke`s herd immunity chasing strategy.

Tegnell told his Finnish counterpart that he was considering leaving schools open. His counterpart told him Finland had considered doing the same, but their projections were that it would greatly increase the rate of death of those aged and the most vulnerable. Tegnell`s reply "It might be worth it". Sweden kept schools open with threats of fines or social services removing from parents care children that parents wished to keep from attending due to concerns for their health.

Also in this thread, Annika Linde, Tegnell`s predecessor as Sweden`s state epidemiologist admitted after it was clear that chasing herd immunity was not going to work that she knew what the strategy was.

Where in any of that is their this science that Sweden was supposedly following.

As I have said, I have neither the time nor the inclination to go over all this again, (especially when it is all already in this thread), with people who either wish to ignore the actual facts or are attempting to re-write history. And I do not know, nor do I care, where you are getting your information on Finland`s Covid deaths compared to Sweden`s, but unless there was a tsunami of deaths in Finland within the last year then they are very much at variance with Johns Hopkins pandemic tracker which for the period March 1st 2020 to March 29th 2022 shows Sweden`s Covid deaths per million people as being 1,790, Denmark 961, Finland 538, and Norway 428.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

You are completely missing the point here. It is not just the covid deaths that matter but all deaths in an excess of what would be otherwise expected for the period of last 3 years. The data clearly shows that Sweden has done significantly better than most countries in that period when it comes to the excess deaths. In that context your arguments are irrelevant. Covid olympics has ended and holding onto the ‘covid deaths is only what matters’ metric is simply wrong. Those countries who have done so well at it are now struggling big time with unexplained excess deaths that they either cannot or don’t want to investigate. Overall Sweden has done very well and will continue to do so as all the unexplained excess deaths have not come through yet. There is more secondary deaths to come, we have not seen through this phenomenon yet.

It is about time that you drop a notion that covid deaths are somehow more important than deaths due to other causes. For context just in UK they have registered 100,000 extra deaths from heart diseases since spring 2020., the authorities blame the disruption to the health services. That is just one small country and only one cause of deaths. That still continues on and nothing is being done about it.

Post edited by walus on

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I still don't see any evidence that they pursued herd immunity. Allowing a degree of immunity to develop in school children (thereby lowering their ability to pass on the disease later on) is not pursuing herd immunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

UK health service has been declining for years.

It's a bit like saying look at the bed crisis in Ireland 2020-2023 when its being going on for 25 yrs.

@charlie14 wrote 29-06-2023 1:53am: "And I do not know, nor do I care, where you are getting your information on Finland`s Covid deaths compared to Sweden`s, but unless there was a tsunami of deaths in Finland within the last year then they are very much at variance with Johns Hopkins pandemic tracker which for the period March 1st 2020 to March 29th 2022 shows Sweden`s Covid deaths per million people as being 1,790, Denmark 961, Finland 538, and Norway 428."

It is all in the link I provided earlier. You can see that around the middle of the 2021 Finland appeared to be doing fairly well compared to Sweden. However shortly after, deaths started to occur and in April of 2002 their overall excess deaths surpassed sadly those of Sweden.

It is true that Sweden had a better health system but we here in Ireland actually closed down hospitals and drastically reduced screening for cancer. So we panicked and failed to even use what we had instead of following the science.

Post edited by Emblematic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,625 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sweden also stopped cancer screenings at height of pandemic and referrals were down massively. If you have evidence Swedens services continued without interruption post it.

Sweden took a free ride on their neighbours. They were able to rely on their strong health service, and voluntary support for recommended measures.

England tried their approach and had to abandon it. It doesnt scale.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,225 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If you do not see any evidence that Tegnell was chasing herd immunity, (something you appear to believe had some scientific credibility), then it`s because you are choosing to ignore it.

It`s crystal clear from the FOI emails between the two architects of the chasing herd immunity strategy, Tegnell and Giesecke, and between Tegnell and his Finnish counterpart it was the only strategy being considered. Tegnell`s predecessor as state epidermiologist admitted that she was also aware that it was the strategy.

Even the Swedish ambassador to the U.S. was telling journalists and anybody who would listen during the first wave that it was only a matter of days during the first wave before the Stockholm area would reach herd immunity. Giesecke was here in Ireland during the second wave pushing the same pseudoscience when Sweden`s own test results were showing it was a complete nonsense.

Tegnell never said the idea of keeping young kids in school was to allow a degree of immunity. He was warned by Finland that from their research that by doing so was likely to increase the numbers of death by at least 10%, but in his mad chase for this mythical herd immunity from a mutating virus he decided it was worth it Even he would have known as an epidemiologist that unless the total number of the population having immunity was not higher than, at the very least 70%, then it was pintless. The idea that a small number of children getting infected was going to achieve anything is in the same ballpark as being just a bit pregnant.

I still do not know what this "science" is that Sweden was supposedly following, but it appears that some here believe it was somehow a success and whatever it was should be followed in the future. Try that with the Zaire ebola virus that has an average mortality rate of 75% (60% - 90%) and see how that "science" stacks up.

I have better for doing with my time than engaging with people who are choosing to ignore the facts and attempting to re-write history on the abject failure that Sweden`s initially strategy was too dealing with the Covid-19 virus before they sidelined Tegnell`s insanity and used vaccines like everywhere else to gain control over it. But by all means you or anyone else who wishes to attempt doing that work away. It`s not going to change the facts.

Interview of Norway's equivalent of Tegnell, Preben Aavitsland and Finland's Mika Salminen in a Norwegian newspaper.

Sweden got it right and the unjustified criticism was due to Sweden offering an unwelcome contrast to the narrative the other countries were trying to push.

Full article translated in the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Tbh I would really like some reputable organisation like Eurostat, The WHO, the UN or whoever, to firstly rank countries' covid responses fairly definitively by metrics like overall excess deaths, and possibly 1 or 2 other key measures.

And then I would like to see them interpret that data intelligently, & apply controls to those results to allow for things like demographics, population density, risks of disease due linkages to neighbouring countries, borders, etc, etc.

From this we could then more clearly see which countries did best under their particular circumstances, and from that it should be then relatively straightforward to see which specific measures & practices were best for keeping populations healthy & thriving through and after covid.

I realise there's alot in that, but we're well into the age of big data & AI, and I would have thought that's the kind of data analysis task & report that a large, neutral organisation working in this area should be able to produce without too much bother.

Tbh, I'm quite surprised that there hasn't been a fairly definitive attempt at this already. Maybe there has been?!

From what I can see at this remove, Sweden probably got a lot more right in their covid response than wrong , and certainly far more right than most countries initially gave them credit for. I would like to see some attempt to normalise their excellent excess death rate scores for things like their demographics, excellent health service (proxied by say # of ICU beds per 100k), and population density say , so that we could then more definitively compare their relative performance versus their Nordic neighbours say, and versus countries such as Ireland.

Without doing this work it's not possible to definitively say whether Sweden's overall covid response was better than Ireland's say, but certainly looking at the excess death rates since covid (2020 to date), it seems highly likely Sweden did a good deal better even allowing for their lower population density, better heath service & less infected & infectious neighbouring countries.

But as I say, I'd like to see this analysis done properly before being too definitive, as until then this is just a guesstimate based on fairly raw (non controlled) data.

Post edited by daithi7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The WHO has skin in this game though. Not sure they can be replied upon for an impartial analysis.

Why is that? Because they have guidelines on specific measures to adopt during covid?

In that case it might be better if another organisation did this review alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yes, because the Swedish approach sort of undermined the strict WHO guidelines which most other countries followed quite eagerly. I don't think its in the WHO's (and those other countries) interest to validate the Swedish approach.

I understand that may be a bit of a broad sweeping statement and I'm not saying I'm denying the WHO being capable of a decent review, but I see a conflict of interest nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

It is also because the second biggest financial contributor to WHO is a private individual - Bill Gates. Yet another conflict of interest.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Depend down even the most pro lockdown/vaccinated know Covid was a nothing bugger, lying to themselves that we lived through through a deadly virus, if it was we wouldn't have a housing crisis right now would we? Should have been plenty of free houses from the dead.

By the time the vaccines did come the illness wasn't much worse than a cold or flu

The average age of death from covid was higher than the average age of life expectancy ffs :) and practically no excess death has been observed for anyone below 60 in good health.

And virtually all respiratory illness were diagnosed as Covid anyway and it still couldn't do much damage to younger people

Look at how flawed the science was, I am sick doctor, we will do one test and that's it

Imagine bringing your car to a mechanic and he just did one test on it if was giving trouble, a negative or a positive :)

At the end of the day everything big that happens in the world is driven by money and Covid was know different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Cuba developing and distributing their own vaccines was money driven? How did that work?

Too late on the market, didn't get approval till late 2021 and you can't give Pfizer and the likes that kind of a head start, the Mexicans and Venezuelans bought some, they tried to break into other markets like Vietnam etc but sales were disappointing overall. EspromedBIO didn't have the brand awareness or marketing power to trouble big pharma rivals and being stateowned by Cuba politics of course affected sales

Pity as would have been nice to see Cuba make some $

• Advertisement

If COVID was nothing, then approval shouldn't matter, why would Cuba create it's own vaccine? What was the business plan there? (I mean you understand that export controls meant they had to create their own or source from a friendly country, which shouldn't matter if COVID was nothing, they could have done nothing and save on the expense).

Just trying to get some critical thinking going here, because this wasn't a "western big pharma" money grab.

$$$

Someone somewhere in Cuba was making money from these

Or do you think Governments care about your health lol :) You do, haha

"someone" in Cuba made all this money and convinced the authoritarian cuban government to go along with COVID controls just for sh*ts and giggles?

Your post is nonsensical.

Do you think any government care about the health of their population?

Yeah right. Try telling that to all those relatives of those dead in coffins on the streets around Milan? Or in France? Or even in London for that matter. Can you remember those!?

Covid, was most definitely not nothing. It was really quite something imho!!!

FYI, (Excess) Deaths are only 1 metric of the health of a population also btw e.g. long term adverse effects on people's health by contracting covid was & is also quite something, especially if people were unvaccinated when they were infected, and hence got a far more severe infection.

Who is to say, some of the very high excess death rates that we're currently seeing in Ireland (~13.7% over trend), aren't caused by the secondary effects of being infected by covid e.g. People getting pneumonia, &/or cardio vascular &/or inflammatory conditions, etc now that are killing some of them because they caught a nasty dose of covid 12-18 months ago which affected their long term health!?!

You only saw what they wanted you to see, the ambulances in London circling the city because hospitals were full, the bodies in Lombardy, people dropping dead in Wuhan, on our propaganda screens 24/7

Were you in London, Italy, France, China etc?

I was in Ireland and Poland throughout and didn't see any of that, if it wasn't for the TV I would never have known a killer virus was out there, we got a different virus or our measures were so much better?

Long covid is responsible for all the excess deaths? Sure everyone in the world got infected, easy to blame it on that.

Unvaccinated deaths haha, Poland has 50% vaccinated rate and the population increased during covid years

• The current population of Poland in 2023 is 41,026,067, a 2.93% increase from 2022.
    • The population of Poland in 2022 was 39,857,145, a 4.04% increase from 2021.

Watch the leader of New Zealand and try not to laugh :)

How people fell for that shite

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

Last year they were blaming the heatwave for the excess death, I see this year they are going with the long-covid, next year will be probably some other excuse: anything is good as long as we avoid having a proper investigation on cause/effect.

Who are "they" Stevie!?

I only saw & read what was broadcast & reported on like any other person in any country. We have a free press, data has backed up what we watched & was reported on at the time, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make tbh.

Bill Gates didn't put microchips in our vaccines, governments restored civil liberties when the risks from the pandemic abated and deaths, severe disease & the overwhelming of health services were prevented... so look I'm as critical as the next person of governments & civil servant leaders, but I can't buy that conspiracy theory BS that some here are peddling!!!

You saw one side, it was clear as day the risk of sarscov2 to healthy young people was practically zero and the vaccine passports were the most unscientific rubbish ever as well as the masks, we could never argue that side, we did what we were told like good little sheep. Bill Gates might not have put microchips but the man and his buddies made incredible €€€ from it, "vaccines my best investment ever" his words. Governments stretched that rubbish out as long as they could, when it became clear that the unvaccinated and vaccinated had more or less the same chance of catching sarscov2 and you might as well have injected holy water to prevent sarscov2 they had to drop restrictions. They could have dropped everything in summer 2020 and we have been fine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing to do with Sweden but your misunderstanding of how vaccines work is quite shocking at this stage. no vaccine has ever stopped anyone in a side by side with an unvaccinated person "getting" or "catching" a virus or other causative agent. What it does do at a population level is lessen the affect and / or time that people get ill or remain infective for due to it's priming of the immune system. Therefore reducing the burden on a population mortality and resource wise. I'd say you are looking for the conspiracy forum but what you are saying isn't even in that realm, it just doesn't make sense. Anyway, this was fun, back to work.

Stop the gaslighting bs

They were marketed as stopping transmission, protect your nanny and loved ones, you don't remember that?

No one wants to talk about covid anymore because it was the biggest load of bs ever and people like you pretending they didn't say protect your loved ones and community, get your vaccine.

Can you not remember the cases on the news everyday? Vaccines will kick in soon said Dr Tony and the health experts, cases will drop.

Honestly I'm finished here as morons like yourself pretending they never said that, they said it would only prevent deaths and hospitalisations guys like your self are insufferable

• Advertisement

I'm going to be civil despite the name calling.

They do reduce/stop transmission as you seem unable to grasp. A typical vaccinated person will typically clear the illness quicker and potentially be in the spreading stage for an incredibly short period of time compared to an unvaccinated person as well as having a significantly reduced viral load.

So they do catch it (for want of a better term) but the level of symptoms from infection is typically lower as the immune system is primed, so gets to work almost immediately, the time to "get over it" is quicker, so less time spreading if they are, and as a result a lesser burden on the care sector. It's not being an idiot, it is having a basic understanding of health and safety. As with most things that are a danger (not all, but most), if you reduce the level or the amount of time, you reduce the risk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They weren't marketed as fully stopping transmission. They were said to reduce transmission and severity of covid. Most vaccines don't fully stop transmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Any chance you might include the context that Gates may have made that statement in? no I don't think you will. You see he is a philanthropist, investing his wealth in improving global health, especially in the third world. People like you are manipulated into thinking out of context quotes reinforce your bizarre beliefs.

Bill Gates and the lizard-people are not secretly running governments, he is a person trying to do something with their wealth to improve the global health situation. People lacking in empathy cannot understand why someone would spend billions on other peoples welfare, so they respond by imagining some nefarious conspiracy instead.

But hey, if you prefer to be informed by some guy on facebook that unraveled the whole conspiracy alone, in his mom's basement, good luck. You serve as a lesson to us all, how deep some people can fall down the rabbit hole.

Ahh yeah an RTE man speaks, a trustful crowd, conspiracy sites bad, RTE, BBC good

No no....your stupid out-of-context quotes bad, context good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can't watch that video but there were numerous reports around the time saying that it might not stop transmission. Fauci and Biden's quotes do not invalidate this. You can not be infected and still carry a virus and spread it.

Another unanswered question is whether the vaccines, whose trials have shown that they prevent people from getting seriously ill and dying of COVID-19, also prevent people from becoming infected in the first place and, importantly, from passing the virus on to others. It could be the case, Fauci said, that even if the vaccines don’t prevent infection, they keep virus levels so low that they do prevent transmission.

Prevent transmission, not stop it completely.

The new vaccines will probably prevent you from getting sick with Covid. No one knows yet whether they will keep you from spreading the virus to others — but that information is coming.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210203-why-vaccinated-people-may-still-be-able-to-spread-covid-19

There are two main types of immunity you can achieve with vaccines. One is so-called "effective" immunity, which can prevent a pathogen from causing serious disease, but can't stop it from entering the body or making more copies of itself. The other is "sterilising immunity", which can thwart infections entirely, and even prevent asymptomatic cases. The latter is the aspiration of all vaccine research, but surprisingly rarely achieved.

A key point to note, however, is that the vaccine isn’t an end-all solution to the pandemic. That’s in large part because any inoculations developed now are focused on simply preventing symptoms from arising, rather than blocking out the virus altogether.

A key point to note, however, is that the vaccine isn’t an end-all solution to the pandemic. That’s in large part because any inoculations developed now are focused on simply preventing symptoms from arising, rather than blocking out the virus altogether.

The stupid thing is the same people giving out now that the vaccines don't stop transmission of covid when all the experts said it would are the same people who were giving out years ago when the experts said it wouldn't stop covid transmission. They literally posted these same articles and said the vaccines don't work, they don't stop infections, the "experts" even admit this lololololol. Now they say the experts lied and said they stopped transmission.

The purpose of covid vaccines was to reduce the severity of covid for people who caught it. They also thought they might reduce transmission (note reduce not stop). This was when there was first talk of vaccines before any even hit the market as far as I remember.

Stevie2001 has a history of taking quotes out of context and trying to twist them to validate his argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

I can't believe what I am reading here: the very essence of the extended lockdown was because they were pushing the population to get vaxxed, the unvaccinated were the cause of the spread and you needed to get vaxxed to be a good citizen and stop the transmission of the deadly virus. Every night on the news they were making sure to specify how many unvaccinated were hospitalized, they introduced a totalitarian system that would allow only the vaccinated to gather because they were pushing the narrative that if you get vaccinated you don't get sick and you don't infect the granny. They created a 2 tier society based on an unverified lie (get vaxxed = immunity -> immunity pass, remember?) but still a lot of people out there are convinced that this is not true and everything was done for the wellbeing of the individual. Cognitive dissonance at its best

• Advertisement

Vaccinations are a bit of a red herring with regard to the thread topic, since Sweden themselves also vaccinated most of their population.

On the other hand, and while we don't yet have all the data, what Sweden shows is that further research is needed to evaluate the negative effects of lockdowns and restrictions.

Champions of lockdowns and restrictions were convinced that Sweden, where life continued as normal for much of the pandemic, would have very high excess deaths over the extended period. Mathematical models were rolled out to show this.

Those who made these predictions about Sweden have been proven decisively wrong and Sweden is among the lowest for excess deaths over the extended period in the EU and not only that but comparable to those of other Nordic countries that had stricter lockdowns. If anything Sweden should have had much higher excess deaths than Norway since Sweden is much more connected with the reset of Europe.

What we don't know yet is exactly why this is the case but what is telling is the almost complete silence from mainstream media and those who were advocating lockdowns as the only way.

Lockdown started long before vaccination was even credible. Once vaccinations were rolled out we seen what you refer to as two tier but in reality this is a balance of keeping as many safe as possible while allowing society to function. It's a tough call, without vaccinations we would have relaxed restrictions anyway as society would need to function at a normal level eventually. It's been seen in pandemics before and most of the world done surprisingly well all things considered. Nothing in public health is done for the well being of the individual, it is all for the greater good which alot of people struggle with as a concept.

Sweden had a 10fold higher level of excess mortality during the first wave than it's closest neighbour. It actually decreased in their neighbour but this is effectively displaced mortality and will catch up over the following years. The data is published. It will eventually level out as everyone eventually dies. It all depends on whether the few extra years at the end of someone's life are worth it, some thought it was, some thought it wasn't. Hindsight is wonderful and everyone could have done things better, unfortunately none of us had the benefit of hindsight at the time.

Experts did over estimate the excess mortality in Sweden but these were based on models that implied no one in Sweden done anything, former colleagues of mine in Lund said that it was hit and miss but people were standing back, alot wore masks in certain situations and so on.

NPHET here were similar in their models expected the worst in human behavior but we were better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Life didn't ' go on as normal' in Sweden.

Some areas had restrictions and some businesses suffered due to lack of footfall as people self restricted and stayed home during the early wave.

From Dec 2020 the government brought in restrictions and vaccinations started early 2021 as everywhere.

It is thought that their high excess deaths in 2020 reduced numbers of elderly who might have died in 2021 and 2022 especially as they had very low excrss deaths in the years preceding the pandemic.

This in effect caused a ' harvesting' of elderly Swedes in 2020, and these numbers were reduced with restrictions and changes to elderly treatment in the year after

This has been duscussed and data linked extensively already on the thread, and as Cramcycle says this is expected to level out over the next few years.

A point on restrictions and the 2 tier system...

When vaccinations were being rolled out we were infected here with Alpha and following that Delta which were far more deadly than the current Omicron variant.

People were dying or in ICU largely towards the end of 2021 unvaccinated in much greater numbers, despite restrictions.

So it wasn't a benign infection as some revisionists would like us to believe.

Many people who contracted Delta are still suffering effects of long Covid which is now believed to have cardiac implications for 18 months or more.

Omicron infection while not thought to have contributed to long Covid initially is now believed to be linked to cardiac deaths and illness also.

Some good points there. That shows the importance of cumulative excess deaths over the extended period beginning with the start of the pandemic and extending a few years after. When we do this we find Sweden no worse than their neighbor Nordic countries such as Norway. It will take time to understand why this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

It's hard to fathom that there are 334 pages of arguing about Sweden's covid response in Ireland in July 2023. I've live in Sweden for seven years. Life did not stop here. There was maybe a few weeks where a few things were shut and bands didn't tour. At the height of it, it was 'recommended' that we wear a mask during rush hour on public transport. I was on public transport everyday and would estimate that around 25% complied with the recommendation and without wanting to sound in anyway racist, these were in my estimate immigrants, probably not very well educated based on the industry start times they were commuting to, and I, at the time pondered whether the hysteria spouted by news outlets in their home states, compounded the fear that led to the compliance if you will. The Swedes for the most part, refused to comply with the recommendations which shocked me as I always attributed how well this country runs to the willingness and ability of it's natives to follow rules and directions. Covid is over lads, find a new obsession or hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

Maybe it isn't an obsession just a 'healthy interest'.

Imho, it was fascinating to see how different countries reacted to Covid from the USA to China to New Zealand to Sweden to the UK & of course, Ireland. Indeed the reactions to the Covid pandemic highlighted the respective strengths & characteristics of different societies in stark contrast imho.

And now that the Covid danger has abated, & the pandemic is over, it's also fascinating to see which countries approaches actually worked, and of course what measures didn't. In trying to figure this out, Sweden's overall low excess deaths, with very low to no restrictions is an outlier, and looks likely to show a lot of actions taken by other countries were likely ineffective, inefficient and over the top. Ireland is likely to be in that group imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I understand. As grateful as we were here for the lack of restrictions, and the privilege of quick accessibility to good vaccines as they became available...I believe the incessant arguing over who was right or wrong in the pandemic forgets that we havn't experienced this in modern times and the lessons we could take from previous pandemics were not huge as society has changed so much since they occurred and governments did their utmost best to minimise deaths, with the resources available coupled with the advice given by the WHO. I know an English chap who worked under Tegnell, whose job prospects based on a degree on tropical diseases from a London university seemed slim until the pandemic made it one of the most sought after qualifications in the world.

If you had spent the pandemic in Ireland with its restrictions and lockdowns, it would be easier to understand. One of the arguments commonly used in favour of increased restrictions here was "Look at Sweden!". This continued long after it was apparent that Sweden did not have huge numbers of dead by EU standards.

The other thing to remember is that data about excess deaths over the extended period, which includes both the pandemic phase as well as the fall-out from the lockdowns, is only really becoming available now. Hence a resurrecting of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,625 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Look at England. Why didn't trying the Swedish strategy work for them?

Perhaps not so easy when you have a strained health service, higher population density and movements around jurisdictions. As opposed to Sweden surrounded by countries which did lock down and impose restrictions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
Advertisement