Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah I did a double take at an ad for it on tv last night. It’s deliberately deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I thought initially they had gone do the road of Nissan's e-power system but no it's just a basic hybrid system supported by another bullshit bingo EV term. I see also Renault have also decided if you can't beat em [Toyota & Hyundai] join em

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Differentiates between their 'mild' hybrid engine which is available on other models like the Arkana.

Mild hybrids are complete BS considering they generally offer max fuel savings in the order of 10% under ideal conditions, yet can add a couple of thousand onto the price over a standard ICE. This means very long payback period and very little reduction in carbon emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Electric vehicle marketing jargon buster:

Mild hybrid (MHEV) - petrol car with an unnecessarily complicated gearbox

Hybrid (HEV) - petrol car with somewhat more unnecessarily complicated gearbox

Plug in hybrid (PHEV) - A fully electric car with the good bits removed and replaced with a petrol engine, see above

Any other model type with "e" in the same but still has an exhaust - see the 3 entries above

Battery electric vehicle (BEV) - a vehicle powered solely by an electric motor and batteries, charged from an external source. The only thing that comes out the back are sunshine, rainbows and the occasional sound effects to let you know it's coming

Electric vehicle - often used to describe a BEV but can technically describe any vehicle that uses an electric motor for movement. The term has been appropriated recently to describe several hybrids (looking at you Nissan 😉)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Charging at a snail's pace on CCS. Not my pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah I saw the ad saying 600km+ of 'range' and was telling my missus you don't quote petrol cars in range.

Even though my petrol Golf did say 'range' on the screen nobody says it has "750km range" they'd say it's 750km to a full tank. Cars are never advertised with range either, only L/100km consumption. Really shady marketing from Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Not sure if this is the right place but one of mine is near Tampa and was in the Ellenton Mall today and sent me pictures of their charging network

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Picked up my auction leaf and drove it home yesterday. 2.5k for 9/12 bars, 80k km, taxed and tested (short on both) with all cables included. Can't see a thing wrong with her, glad to be in the leaf family again. Charged on Chademo on the way home too. She's topping up on solar as we speak.

I really don't understand why people would not have one of these as their second car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

With that price you can't possibly go wrong. A friend is picking up an even lower mileage one with 11/12 bars today as their first EV. Top up from solar and you have as close to a free car as humanely possible that can also be driven beyond the range in an emergency because the Chad.

What's the range in practice now on yours? The lack of % display on the early cars makes it harder for novices to take it down towards zero but you have no trouble there.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Because an old Corolla is just as reliable and your not limited to 50-60km ( very few gonna risk going under 20% battery and charging to 100% is not recommend )

In that old Corolla the low fuel petrol comes up at 80km and that's the max range of the Leaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I doubt the old Corolla is as high spec as the old Leaf. Even newer ones I've been in (as rentals ) were very spartan/1990s inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Probably not, but air conditioning, usb charging, auto wipers etc ain't much use with that battery haha :)

I havent charged to full yet but after observations (motorway from merlins to my house near enniscorthy) I would suggest the full range is between 80 and 90km. My old leaf24 with 12 bars would see 100km to 120km so that's about right for 9/12. On the early cars you need leafspy because the battery warning comes on so early you have another 20-30km easily.

Yes but an old corolla is more expensive to fuel and tax. (Note, I am not anti old fossil toyotas, my leaf is currently parked in my garage beside a prized posession of mine, my 1994 diesel carina !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I drove a brand new Corolla rental in Lithuania in October 2021, and it was an utter pile of shite.... Overtaking was very dangerous, as you had to floor it (it was an auto) about 5-7 seconds before you actually began the overtaking manoeuvre.

It had a sport mode, and when engaged, the only thing it did was changed the background lights on the dash/display from blue to red... and that was literally all it did!!

As a second car... give me a Gen 1 leaf with 40-60km range any day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Had very similar experiences in 2019 in the US, dangerous trying to merge onto a freeway with massive trucks going 80mph and your Corolla can only hit 60mph by the end of the slip

Would agree unless you reasonably regularly exceed 40+km in a day, then it becomes a pita. My leaf does about 110km per charge and covers the majority of my daily usage but as the battery continues to degrade this will become an increasing pita. So as per usual horses for courses and while a low range Leaf will suit some it will not suit others

I wouldn't be bringing a degraded Leaf onto the motorway either as the necessity to travel at leaf speed causes untold frustration for even trucks. I know as I've experienced the massive trucks filling my rear view mirror all too often😩

You only need to travel at leaf speed if you're short on range. I was doing proper motorway speeds yesterday as I intended to charge twice anyway (due to spacing of chargers I couldnt make it home on one stop and if I did leaf speed Id literally have to stop anyway so what was the point)

Of course but it eats range if you hitting 120kph and unless you're journey is short you'll be charging even on 40km journeys which is not worth it

I mean that's not really its use case tbh but I would expect more than 40km.

In any case, the best use case for an early leaf - especially a degraded one with no % display, like mine - is as a second car, pootling about town, collecting local errands etc.

For me it will have a few uses, we have a builders merchants 5km away that I would like to have a car to transport stuff in with better space than the model 3, a backup car until herselfs ora arrives (was supposed to be yesterday, will be any day now), and as a third family car for the young lad to learn in. We didnt really need it, but I like the idea of collecting early EVs that make no sense and this is the first on that list, along with a fluence, twizy, and maybe the new citroen ami!

Post edited by ELM327 on

• Advertisement

Absolutely agree it's a great pottering around car especially if located in a more urban setting. Wouldn't mind having your other 2 EVs on my drive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would love to know what the gap is there between what the toyota boffins have concluded and what their marketing people decided to claim.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

“For both our liquid and our solid-state batteries, we are aiming to drastically change the situation where current batteries are too big, heavy and expensive,”

Is this really news, every auto maker and battery manufacturer are doing the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Toyota trying to make the batteries as small as possible......

......so they can fit a little petrol engine in beside it..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Be use our second car gets little use but when it does it’s often longer distances that a leaf with only 9 bars

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone following the pole to pole EV challenge?

Looks amazing, they've already done the arctic and are halfway down the US

One thing I haven't figured out, how did they charge the car in the Arctic? I'm pretty sure Tesla doesn't have any Superchargers up there, and they're driving an Ariya anyway 😂

They made some small mention of portable solar panels but are very short on details

There's a couple of fossil trucks following them for support, what's the bet they're charging the car off a diesel generator? 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

There's also Nissan e-Power - a specific category of a hybrid yoke. Or so Nissan claim.

• Advertisement

That would be in the "anything with an e in the name category" 😂

Advertisement