Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Sadly I think this is the case, she does seem to NEED attention and stardom. The divorce wont be long coming Id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Where do they go from here? Well any normal person would take a step back and listen to what people are saying. Stop the whining and just keep their heads down for a bit. Maybe after a while come back with a new project that is actually helping people and not a self serving pity party.

But this is Harry and Meghan, so next will be blaming everyone and everything but themselves for the situation they are in and doubling down on being victims. They seem to be incapable of taking advice and just fire anyone who says things they don't want to hear.

So Harry was a no show at his 'best mans' wedding. Or maybe he just wasn't invited out of fear a private occasion would be featured in the next book or documentary. Seems like he has become completely isolated from any of his old friends and of course, his family. I'm sure whatever the reason, it's not his or Meghan's fault. Probably Rupert Murdoch or prince Charles got to them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd say she'd struggle to get attention after the initial flurry of headlines about the divorce.

Unless ... dun, dun, dun Harry is a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,634 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

1) Harry was abusive

2) Harry was controlling

3) Harry was racist

Plenty of milking.

• Advertisement

Harry has admitted to and displayed many behaviours over the past several years that could definitely be used against him in this way. Drug taking, excessive drinking, dangerous behavior like forcing his driver to speed through a tunnel to recreate his mother's death etc, all don't look good when it comes to custody and divorce settlements.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

She will stay around as long as he has money, I think.

He has some inheritance to come to him when he turns forty afaik, can't see her divorcing him before that comes their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I think they should listen to a few Pulp songs tbh.

They should buy a 3 bed semi d, Harry should do a plumbing apprenticeship and he could charge a premium to have a real life Prince unblock your toilet. Meghan could do restocking the fridge TikToks and in no time they could upgrade to a 4 bed.

In the words of Sham69 - “C’mon, C’mon, Hurry up Harry, come on! We’re going down the pub.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I don’t think I’d seen this before. It’s quite illuminating about the way Harry changed markedly after becoming infatuated with Meghan

Http://archive.today/qrUDv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

I’d say Harry fell head over heels in love with Meghan quite quickly. That can happen if there is love bombing happening so would be unsurprising. The infatuation being so strong that any red flags would be dismissed or outright ignored to the point that if they were even pointed out it would result in such people being discarded of like his friends or in the case of William in telling him to take things slowly deemed suppressive, unsupportive.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

His other long term girlfriends knew what being his wife would entail. All they had to do was look at the scrutiny and criticism Kate got constantly. Who would want a life like that when they could marry someone who's just as loaded, just as well connected in that elite circle, without all of the restrictions of royal life.

Meghan suited Harry's purposes - it's clear she had no clue of how aristocracy works, or how restrictive being a royal would be, it suited him to rush into marriage and kids before she properly figured out the sh!tty end of the deal. But he also suited hers - he's an A+++ celebrity, it gave her instant access to the most elite of Hollywood celebs who before wouldn't have even looked twice at her, and the kind of red carpet events that she never had before.

For all that people say Meghan was scheming, I actually think that Harry was far more devious and calculated because he knew first hand from his mother, his aunts and his own sister-in-law what it would cost Meghan to marry him - and he didn't care.

There's a saying that if you marry for money, you'll earn every penny - and I think that's very true in Meghan's case. She thought she was marrying a world famous rich affable popular man and joining a wealthy influential family. Instead she got a whinging, cosseted selfish man-child with limited millions, and mental health difficulties and frozen out from the very family and elite circle she thought she was getting in the deal.

She has no credibility though, all she'd do is set herself up for ridicule and she doesn't seem to take kindly to that.

I think they'd get a lot further if they had the ability to occasionally laugh at themselves, hold their hands up and admit they'd gotten it wrong. The constant persecution complex and playing the victim is not doing them any favours.

Jeez, once the bad news starts, it just keeps coming. Latest column from The Free Press, written by Paula Froelich, who is British but was brought up in the US of A

[archive.today link](http://archive.today/ZJPdu)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m all for a balanced discussion about H&M as are most rational regular posters here on the thread (actually all rational posters are- it’s the irrational ones that aren’t 😛) - and I’d hate this thread to be an echo chamber- but let’s face it, it’s very hard to defend H&M these days - yep these articles are nearly a cut and paste of each other, the ones I’ve seen- they start with how delighted they were with Meghan coming in scene and then down hill from there- we can’t ALL be wrong….can we??? 😀

You're right of course. Half the world seems to be an echo chamber these days, and the same story, almost line by line, is being trotted out by all the commentators/columnists and whatnot.

If I think back five or so years, the commentary on H&M was almost universally positive. But I think after the wedding came the attempted near coup d'état by H&M (I had to use the word near, didn't I?) with their desire to split the Duchy of Cornwall between the brothers, then the half-in, half-out shenanigans and how they behaved when Prince Philip and then the Queen were dying. All that has just about finished them for me. I don't have Twitter but I think what is now happening is a "pile on".

From my point of view, a little bit of humility from them could at least begin the reversal of opinion. But I don't think that Meghan is capable of it, and Harry is just as wanton.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,640 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Haven’t been following these two for a while, but are there murmurs of separation? I initially gave them 3/4 years post marriage. Think they’re 5 years in at present.

They've tried the showing a sense of humour route. Think James Cordon piece with Harry and the Ellen show with Meghan. The problem is that these are obvious PR stunts and not genuinely actual self-deprecation. They have a powerful connected agency. If they can pull the strings then an option could be one of Comedy Centrals "Roast" specials. Showing that they can take a joke and not take themselves so seriously as well as dishing out the roasts right back could serve as a reset for them. They are in prime position to have the piss taken. Their unique status would be fertile ground for material. Yes it would be another PR stunt but these roasts are an American tradition and the Comedy Central one always seems to be actually funny.

I think there’s a lot of posts across different media speculating that ultimately they’ll divorce but not before whenever Harry is next due for an inheritance 😀

The fact that they’re no longer a “double act” and estimates are that both will be plying different trades or at least promoting different things certainly enhances that story- My own view is that Meaghan can’t stand on her own at a high profile level without Harry-but Harry has proved he’s a fish out of water without the backing of his previous role in the RF- so who knows how it will pan out- if they truely love each other then money and fame shouldn’t come into play, but the cynic in me says this whole relationship was based on a false ( or maybe unrealistic is a better word) expectation of Meaghan and the reality is far from where she wants to be right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I don't mean to be alarmist or a dickhead, it's not a sly dig or and effort to faux care. I mean this in all seriousness. This is the busiest I've seen this thread without also seeing @JM08 fighting H&M's corner.

I know it's all too easy to get tied up in the repartee on here, but I hope whatever they are doing in their conspicuous absence? That they are ok.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Harry is known for his sense of humour. When it's carefully curated, like the mic drop with the queen and Obama, it's media gold. But when it's his own brand of humour you get Nazi costumes and jokes that often don't land well.

I actually think we are seeing the real Harry for once. I think that the cheeky funny chappie down wiv de kids Harry who loved his nan was all manufactured by Buckingham Palace. He was playing a role, reading their script. They made him interesting. They created his popularity and knew that the public would lap it up. But he was phoning it in, to borrow an American phrase. Once left to his own devices he demonstrated very quickly that he's not actually all that.

What you see is two people who react to criticism easily, who get offended easily, and who don't play well with others if they aren't getting their own way.

• Advertisement

Agreed. Yet the palace and William, Charles and Camilla were supposedly leaking to the press to deflect from themselves. Lambs to the slaughter. It doesn’t make sense that the palace would overtly prop his image up while family were covertly taking him down in parallel. What is the point of the former as such. The simplest explanation could be that Harry was always Harry (egotistical, humorless, paranoid, impatient etc.) and his behavior inevitably leaked as it does via small talk and gossip. Such behavior became more frequent when attention was focused on him following his courtship/marriage. Instead of reflecting on his own behavior, comporting himself positively and grasping the social norms (and risks) of office/palace politics and gossip he instead looked at his dad, step mother and his brother schmoozing with the press (i.e. managing relations with the press) and would conclude they must be the ones serving him up to the press. Cognitive dissonance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I don't understand how people can recognise the fact that a person's persona can be heavily influenced to look good but not to look bad.

The fact is we have no idea what these people's true personalities are because they are constantly being spun in one direction or another for one parties interest or the other.

Well H & M are showing who they are themselves now - Netflix doc, Spare, Oprah interview, podcast, "high speed car chase" etc., so they can't blame someone else for constructing a public persona.

They were far more likeable and marketable in the early days when their image was handled by BP.

In some respects a real Harry is so much better than a fake Harry, even though he may not be as likeable in the short term- Princess Anne was always depicted as aloof - today she commands total respect- consistency is key for the RF- if you’re one thing one day and another the next, people can’t relate to that ie the British Royal followers- they want to know the measure of who they’re dealing with before they wave those Union Jacks and buy the souvenir mugs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Yes. BP was so much better at handling their PR. Thats when Meghan was turned into a witch - headlines about making Charlotte cry (lie), making Kate cry (lie), their first child depicted as a chimp when he was leaving hospital for the first time! Yea, BP were so much better at handling their PR!

You'll note I said the early days - before she started bullying staff, demanding tiaras etc.

Pretty sure it was a dj who made the chimp meme, stuck it on his twitter and subsequently got fired over it. He quite rightly lost his job over that. That meme had nothing to do with BP, unless you are implying that BP asked him to do it?

Also, we don't know if the headlines about making Charlotte and Kate cry are false. It was reported then Harry and Meghan offered their version of events in his book, but no corroboration to support their side of the story is available. Put it this way though, given their track record, if the papers did blatantly lie about those events, why not add them to the ever-increasing pile of lawsuits?

It's a bit like the bullying report. If I had inlaws who were accusing me publicly of bullying their personnel and then announced they would keep the findings confidential, I'd be insisting that they publish to restore my reputation. Demanding it pretty loudly in fact. I would have put it on their website if it was me. It is an actual case for slander because it is something that would affect their brand, image and therefore income. And yet there's no demand for it to be shown to the world, nor any case being brought for slander. They seem very happy to let the report that (if they are truthful) would entirely exonerate Meghan just melt away unread. Strange.

The press offices were not handling their PR at the time. They were being given a 32 million quid wedding not because they deserve it but because they were (and were expected to continue being) working royals. If you’re a working royal then you are doing it as a representative of the monarch. They can't be everywhere so some fill in for them i.e. We wanted the Queen but will settle for Prince Edward.

Palace PR is effectively PR for the monarch with it spinning things in support of those who agree to do the gig because it ultimately benefits the monarch/monarchy. Look at Andrew as an example and ask why he isn't a "working" royal anymore. He was basically fired.

If you’re a working royal then you, presumably, abide by the rules and template/blueprint outlined by the monarch. Kate, for example, clearly does that. It is the (celebrated) service model exemplified by the Queen. So if the Queen at the time abided by the never complain/explain model of dealing with a hostile/aggressive media then the expectation is that those representing her do the same. So if the tabloids are acting the bollox as they invariably do in pitting people against each other then you rise above it and wait for it to inevitably pass. More important things going on in the world than some tabloid gossip about an emotional flashpoint about tights from years ago. And the best part is that if you don’t agree with all that, if it isn't your cup of tea, if you think it is stifling, that it is a fish bowl like existence then, brilliantly, you don’t have to do it. You're only expected to do it if that is what you want. Bear in mind though that if you decide not to do it then, shock horror, the perks get lost. No security while on duty, no outriders, no A listers lining up to meet you etc.

You can have the luxury of playing X box all day living off current and incoming inheritances until you figure out what you want to do with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Post edited by Be right back on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Bulling accusations were the most damaging to them. And child bulling (Charlotte) would be the worst, so they had to do everything to show it as a lie. As Nayite said why they didn't fight that one in court?

They were very lucky that they were dealing with RF, who don't fight back. Otherwise they could have followed the case of Amber Heard. One side of the story is always much "rosier" that the objective truth. But even with this retouched one side they managed to harm themselves significantly.

Advertisement