Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Building it where the hangars are is likely the cheapest way to do it up front but it would be the layout that would max out in capacity the soonest, think T2 all over again. They'll probably flatten the Hangars and move them down the Western end of the North Runway, I recall the original plan before the Financial Crash in 2008 was to build a new hangar complex north of the 10L threshold.

Building a third terminal on this land between the runways would be very expensive up front as regards building new supporting infrastructure but long term would future proof airport expansion for several decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

1. DAA are flying a kite to keep price down
    2. daas master plan shows T3 west of airport
    3. anywhere else makes absolutely NO sense. They are already building apron 5H so where do you think they could put another 40+ stands to service a new terminal

Any form of discussion of a terminal on the east campus is just 🤦🏻‍♂️ territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Is a terminal that is needed or just new piers?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Short term the T2 head building can take another pier in terms of circulation space etc. Eventually another terminal would be needed.

Also some of the heavily used bits of t1 are 50 years old or more now (the non rotunda bits of the 200 and 300 gates are 55), so a T3 and then strip and rebuild a lot of t1 when more capacity is needed could work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭jlang

Farther west only makes sense for passenger services if there's a need for massive expansion but with climate change and fuel pricing etc, a further 2x-ing the airport capacity is not likely to be needed. I'd never say never, but on that basis I don't think it's crazy to envisage an incremental third set of passenger terminal functions like drop off, check in, security, baggage reclaim, etc at the north of the current campus nearer to where the new gates/piers will likely be (rather than squeezing services at T1/T2 beyond breaking point and having even longer skyway walks and bus connections to new gates/stands).

The connectivity to metro/bus/rental car/short term parking would then be roughly in the center of the three and there would be no need to duplicate these functions off the N2 or build east-west links.

DAA should still go on to secure the land to the west if they can as there would be still be potential for airside services, apron space, hangers/maintenance, cargo handling/logistics, military?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

If the comments under the Examiners post on Facebook got their way there would be no expansion at Dublin at all! All the Shannon and Cork folk feeling hard done by as usual. Will it ever get old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Good to see 28R open earlier for departures today....queue Irish Times article whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's fully operational 7am-11pm from today so they best get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Great to see the early start for the North runway coming into use today.

Looking back on play back, it seems some Ryanair's were holding back for the departure on the North runway. The early EI flights should really push to get off stand on time, to now make the cut off for the South runway and avoid the long taxi to there for them. The 06:40 CDG and BER were examples of this, if they pushed on time, they would have made the shorter taxi for 28L. Instead, by the time they pushed, they had to go for 28R and join a now long queue of Ryanair and Emerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

but it doesnt need to be exclusive - aircraft can still take off on 28L no ? Or is it only one or the other at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Economics101

There are plenty of arrivals around 7am. Kind of rules out using both the 28s for takeoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

This is not just down to the airline. ATC manage the pushback permissions and decide on the departure runway to be assigned. Presumably they are best placed to calculate which departures can be assigned 28L, especially depending on the rate of arrivals at the time. A T2 departure at 0640 is going to have to push exactly on time, start engines and taxi, and then hope that their place in the departure sequence is such as to allow an almost immediate departure, if they are to be airborne before 0700. It's not impossible to achieve but it must be rare to be anything other than about number five or six for departure at that time of day. Perhaps in due course operations won't be 100% segregated between the runways, such that EI can take advantage of any gaps in the arrivals to get a few departures off 28L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Yes, I know it’s ATC, but the airline being ready is also important for ATC to give them their slot out.

It would be great to have some dual departures when the gap allows it particularly for EI departures as it significantly cuts down taxi time. Can’t see that happening soon though. Gearing up to the current set up was a big achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

Indeed to be fair to ATC, its a huge change for them with the airport going from one runway (and occasionally in the past dual runway ops off 28L and 34 at the same time) to parallel runway ops so credit where its due, its great to see 28R now in use to the maximum allowed.

Re: pushing on time, of course as well there are slot restrictions very often on flights during the busy summer months so even if they are closed up and ready to go, they might have to wait on stand for several minutes before being allowed to push. Any slot considerations will also be taken into account by ATC when deciding which runway a flight will depart from. DUB's cul-de-sacs between the piers often give rise to push delays too, so despite a flight being ready, they may also have to wait for inbound traffic to park before they can push. So there are many variables that affect when a flight can push which are outside the airline's control.

Post edited by Phen2206 on

I remember in Denver going to LAX years ago having to push back (it was a United 777 ) and then taxi to a parking area for 90 minutes, then it was start engines and away - something to do with the gate at LAX and winds over the Rockies.

Dublin doesn't seem to do this for slot restricted aircraft ( pushing back and taxi to a holding area pending departure slot time) , which at this time of year strikes me as strange as it would free up a gate, which looks like scarce commodity.

What holding area do you have in mind?

For conversation purposes is there not the parking area between Ryanair land and 28R ? 140 or whatever its called . At this time of year with full fleet out on the road its normally quiet . Same for 600s . But I know someones going to quickly jump in with some reason that particular location A or B wont work - I am more asking why its not done at all

One thing to note is that by area DEN is one of the biggest airports in the world, the airfield is just massive! There is ample room to move planes and plonk them here and there and everywhere. Also some of the runways are so far away from the terminal that it can take quite a while to taxi out to them so pushing and parking can shorten a slot delay if when the time comes your already out near the departure runway!

I’m not saying that’s why it’s done in DEN and not in DUB, it’s just one of the many variables to consider.

• Advertisement

From observation only, those northern stands are used as overnight parking and also for aircraft that are between flights but not immediately required. Also, as they are nose-in stands, any aircraft that park on them then have to be pushed back again, so that introduces another variable, particularly for carriers and handlers who are already very tight on resources. The West Apron is at least 50% full all day with freighters and, until the tunnel is built, access for ground vehicles and personnel that otherwise operate on the main aprons is problematic. I think the net issue is that Dublin does not have very much otherwise unused ramp or taxiway space and already has a congested taxiway system, so unless such additional space is built, the most realistic approach remains to hold aircraft on stand until it makes sense to push them for their takeoff slot. In fact, the system now in use aims to manage the rate of pushbacks at peak times so that the taxiway system does not become gridlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭poker--addict

This possibly discussed elsewhere but may be linked to the runway situation, but why are ATC dragging aircraft halfway around Ireland for arrivals into Dublin.

Frequently aircraft can be seen joining an easterly approach 20+ miles out or even way beyond that. As someone in the flying game based where traffic levels are far higher and airspace far tighter, the track miles and separation gaps seem excessive into Dublin. I'm assuming I miss part of the big picture of how the movements work at Dublin, otherwise operators like Ryanair wouldn't stand for consistently inefficient approaches? I suppose noise on certain tracks might be a reason, but unaware of any restrictions which would drive aircraft on a tour of the 26 counties before landing. Curious about the traffic management philosophy.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can you give some examples on FR24 or similar?

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

I think the poster is referring to the vectoring of aircraft on approach to the 10s well out to the west before being turned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Dublin implemented the Point Merge technique for controlling approaching aircraft a decade ago. It can give the impression that aircraft are turning every which way or on a bit of a magical mystery tour at times but the numbers say it's more efficient than other methods. The STAR charts are a work of art :)

Here's a summary: https://www.iaa.ie/media/2015/11/13/iaa-point-merge-optimising-air-traffic-control-at-irelands-busiest-airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Interesting. I do recall point merge being introduced, I do not recall pilots suggesting it was a raving success. I wonder what the view is now from those executing it frequently.

It talks about continuous descent too, I'd like to see the CDA stats for 10, as my impression is unlike 28 aircraft get dragged onto the glide slope more, because pilots have been dragged west beyond their expectation(?).

😎

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The point merge concept is one way of dealing with large volumes of traffic, another option I saw in action a number of years ago was also very successful, in that it avoided a lot of heading changes, it was used at the old Istanbul airport, and worked on the basis of two parallel outbound tracks either side of the inbound track, aircraft were sent into the outbound tracks at appropriate levels, and descended as was possible and suitable, and then turned inbound onto the approach path to give optimum separation depending on the vortex weight category of the aircraft, albeit that Istanbul didn't have the smaller turboprop aircraft such as ATR's. One major advantage was that the approach was over water, so there was no disturbance or impact on residential areas.

The biggest problem with point merge is that (unless there's been changes I've not heard about), none of the automation on modern aircraft can fly an arc, which significantly increases the work load on the flight deck, at a time when it's already high due to the number of other factors involved. When the first DME arc approaches were introduced at Dublin, nearly 30 years ago, a number of friends who had to fly them on a regular basis were less than happy about the workload that resulted, there was no easy way to fly them, other than regular small changes to the heading bug, based on watching the DME distance, and adjusting accordingly, depending on the wind direction, it was not an exact procedure. It became easier when systems with magenta lines became available but flying arcs using older analog instruments was not a simple task.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

There are pictures circulating on Facebook this afternoon showing a failed airbridge that apparently broke a door off an American plane.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Say that will be an expensive fix.

• Advertisement

That wasn’t today. It happened a while back!

Advertisement