Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists' responsibility for their own safety *warning* infractions given liberally for trolling etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Exactly...people think that high viz and lights will protect cyclists.....it sadly isn't the case.

The guy was killed on the N2 near carrickmacross.

I've driven that road plenty of times......it isn't some windy country road.

You can clearly and easily see a km ahead

Driver behaviour is atrocious....speed and dangerous over taking.

It's one road I'd never cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Apologies, you're right wrong thread.

But the point about your consistency in being anti cyclist is therefore proven in that you feel that cycling doesn't belong in a commuting and transport forum, that is just weird.

My issue is that you want to side with the lack of visibility of cyclists regardless of the facts of any individual case, which also seems to be the approach of the judicial system.

I wonder if the driver's statement was provided to the judge who was appointed to the review of this case before he advised there was no need for a public inquiry. There are too many unanswered questions here for me to feel comfortable about this finding.

Perhaps if you took the time to read about it you might feel the same rather than pontificating about generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

I'm not "anti-cyclist". I couldn't give two figs who cycles and who doesn't, and I treat everyone I meet on the road with the same courtesy as they show me. :)

What I am, is weary of the attitude of cyclists I've encountered on Boards. The constant complaining about other road users, the demands for special treatment (segregated cycle paths that they then turn their nose up at) and the never ending pointing the finger of blame at anyone but themselves and the refusal to acknowledge, let alone take any responsibility, for the law breaking and general bad behaviour of cyclists on the road. You do yourselves no favours.

Believe me, at least i won't "actively try to take your life" if I meet you on the road, as someone accused motorists of doing on the other thread.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You picked an interesting driver to defend that they are being accused and blamed in error.

• Advertisement

In incident where the system failed so so many times and someone died. Quite something for people to hijack it with nonsense stories of dogs, cats, eScooters, pedestrians, motor bikes.

What amazes and annoys me is the sight of a gang, yes a gang of cyclists cycling 3 or 4 abreast on the road and refusing to reduce in order to allow cars to pass.

It's almost like a provocation to car users. I've seen it on multiple occasions on the old Gort to Crusheen road around the turnoff to Seaneaglish where there are bad bends and have counted up to 10 cars behind them.

Isn't there a dual carriage way between those places M18?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, the old 'cyclists four abreast' chestnut. and GANGS of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And yesterday evening, with those lights and a Really Bright Stuff rain jacket wasn't enough for a motorist (driving a taxi) to see me, and had to brake hard approaching a roundabout. He also didn't see the traffic island with bollard either to be fair. Still only put down the phone when I called him out on it...

• Advertisement

Time for bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

You would have loved a big thread (which the usual headbangers will now deny the existence of) here a good few years ago - about ten I'd say (nope, I'm not going looking for it). It concerned a sportive somewhere up the country (a sportive being a proper 'race', as opposed to a leisurely cycle) where there were multiple instances of cyclists (often groups thereof) going well into the opposite lane to overtake other riders, even on bends - and this was on roads open to traffic. As you can imagine there were multiple close calls and it's just blind luck none of them got themselves killed. Now, apparently this is all par for the course on your average sportive but the difference on this occasion was that a couple of the riders filmed it - including gangs of cyclists forcing cars coming against them into the ditch - and the footage got into the press.....hence the thread. Now, you might imagine this incredibly dangerous behaviour might have triggered some soul searching among the Boards cyclists, discussion of opportunities for improvement etc. Not a bit of it! While there were a few lone cyclist voices critical of the riders, the large majority of posters reserved their ire for the cyclists who filmed it - raging that the riders actually put it on social media, and of course zero acknowledgement of the danger caused. This included a contribution from a representative of the main cycling representative body chiding the few who raised concerns in a post which could be best summed up as "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen" - i.e. this is what happens on a sportive - if you don't like it, go for a leisurely cycle.

But of course "motorists kill and maim x people per week" yadda yadda yadda......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

For all the banging on about high vis and lights, I can't think of one bicycle death involving a motorist in the last few years that happened at night, bar the one being discussed here. Always seems to be during the day so I don't think it's the massive deal you all think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No matter how many times they're told that the colour of the clothing doesn't seem to make any difference they'll keep obsessing with it. It's simply down to lack of experience.

I've been knocked down in broad daylight wearing high vis & reflectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nobody ever said that proper visibility of cyclists would lead to zero cyclists being knocked down, but the research and proper common sense tell you that the more cyclists are visible, the less they will be knocked down.

You don't know how many times your high viz and reflective saved you, because you weren't knocked down those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah, it's mad out there on the roads. I do a 20km commute through Dublin city centre daily at have at least one incident a day. At very least. 100% down to drivers not paying attention. I try to be as visible and make my position on the road as known as much as I can. Try to stay out of blind spots etc etc.

I'd a guy yesterday cut across me on the quays without indicating left, right across the cycle track I was on without a care on the world, almost went into the back of him. He is then driving on my inside left as I try to get passed him (I'm still on the cycle lane) and he then veers back across the cycle lane, again without indicating.

I'd a woman this morning come out of a small side road in Donnybrook right in front of me, on the main road. I hammer on the brakes, let her out, she then decides that she's actually doing a big U turn into a parking space on the left. Almost went into the side of her as I was kicking off again. Absolute lunatic.

Neither of those people saw me at all, in my high vis. On a bright morning. Literally nothing you can do in this situations other than preempting them as much as possible and acting accordingly.

Yes, cyclists who don't have lights or proper reflective gear on are absolute morons. Same to Escooter users. However having them on is still not some magical force field that will protect you. Dublin roads can be really very dicey at the best of times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

getting back to this, you do realise to a cyclist (and the vast majority of 'cyclists' posting on this thread are motorists; a relationship which does not occur in reverse) this screams 'i have poor observation and don't know how to overtake safely'?

Research says driver behaviour is the biggest factor. Dressing like a bee has minimal impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The research?

Here's the only real life research available from the University of Bologna after Italy introduced a nationwide law was introduced in October 2010 that requires cyclists to wear high-visibility clothing when riding after dusk and before dawn.

"Data showed that the implementation of legislation imposing high-visibility clothing for cyclist did not have either immediate or long-term effects on the number of bicycles involved in road crashes as well as on its proportion in the total vehicles involved in road crashes"

Research from the Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and Nottingham University has found “increased odds of a collision crash” among cyclists who wear reflective clothing.

Again, drivers obsessed with peoples clothing for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I cycle sometimes and I drive sometimes. I acknowledge that there's arseholes of all types (modes) on the roads, but I'm responsible for my own conduct on the road, not anybody elses. I don't accept responsibility for the behavior of people I've ever met. That notion is ludicrous, and if you try to push it, you can expect opposition and ridicule, frankly.

btw, speaking of taking responsibility- Weren't you the one who got hammered on another C&T thread for saying you didn't support red light cameras because if you got a ticket for red light breaking you couldn't be sure of whether you or your daughter were driving your car at the time ?😁

• Advertisement

I don't take responsibility for other people's behaviour on the road, only my own. I don't know how you're coming up with the notion. Actually what I said was if a cyclist doesn't want to do all they can to protect themselves while cycling, then on their own heads be it. Would you like me to quote the post for you? Its #47.

And way to twist the point being made on that other thread.

Honestly, sometimes I'm not sure if people are being deliberately obtuse, or if they can't actually read and comprehend the points being made. But I'll clarify for you.

I never said I didn't support red light cameras. I never said I was against any kind of fine for motoring offences.

What I actually said was I didn't support automatic fines and points being issued on the registered owner's licence, without identifying the driver, as some vehicles are shared.

And for the record, neither I, (in over 25 years driving, 30 if you include my motorbike years) or my daughter, (driving 8 years) have ever had any fines or points on our licences, automatic or otherwise.

But yours is the typical posting behaviour of those in this and the cycling forum, who always try to deflect away from any honest discussion by using "ridicule" as a tool. You said it yourself.

I'm not sure why people think boasting about x number of years on something other than bicycle (so zero years cycling) gives them any insight into cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭patmahe

Not commenting on the specific case as I don't know enough about it, but I think anyone who is a regular cyclist and motorist knows that there is a middle ground where 90% of these two groups sit. But as with anything there is also the other 10%, this is the 10% that ruins it for everyone.

As a cyclist, I've had:

• Motorists overtake me then immediately turn left or stop in front of me (once years ago this resulted in me bouncing across the bonnet of a car).
    • Motorists pass me much to close for comfort on wide open main roads with no oncoming traffic.
    • Motorists not yielding in situations where they have clearly seen me and sometimes giving me a friendly wave rather than obeying rules.

As a motorist, I've had:

• Cyclists with no lights and no reflective gear on the wrong side of the road cycling at night/twilight.
    • Cyclists with no awareness of those around them getting in the way of motorists, pedestrians and other cyclists and being completely oblivious to it.
    • Cyclists darting between cars when queueing in traffic and assuming drivers have seen them.

What I have taken from this experience of both types of transport is to apply caution to whatever you are doing, take your time especially in areas with high traffic, you won't get much further driving/cycling aggresively anyway, assume everyone else is an idiot and you won't go far wrong. Drive in a way that allows you to stop in the distance you can see to be clear and cycle in a way that allows you to be seen more easily. That way we won't stop all accidents but we'll prevent many.

Given the choice I will always use separate cycling infrastructure, but where that isn't possible, I make the effort to be seen, lights and good clothing with reflective elements make such a difference for a small outlay.

Exactly. Its really roadcraft, and it different when cycling and its different when driving. Comes with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

"I don't take responsibility for other people's behaviour on the road, only my own. I don't know how you're coming up with the notion"

You seem to want people on bikes to do it though-

"the refusal to acknowledge, let alone take any responsibility, for the law breaking and general bad behaviour of cyclists on the road. You do yourselves no favours."

"What I actually said was I didn't support automatic fines and points being issued on the registered owner's licence, without identifying the driver, as some vehicles are shared."

I'm twisting nothing. There's was and still is no recognition on your part that as the registered owner of the car the buck stops with you. It's your job and responsibility as the registered owner to know who is driving your vehicle at any time and when.

Trying to collectivise cyclist bad behavior at the same time as individualising motoring bad behavior (a far too common approach from anti cyclist folk) is far from honest discussion, and yes, you can be expect to be ridiculed for pedalling it.(no pun intended)

If you want to discuss the other thread, (which was actually a poll) then respond on the other thread instead of dragging it into this one.

Again, you seem to have problems comprehending what I actually said, even after I went to the trouble of clarifying it for you, so I am not going to waste any further time responding to what is clearly a deliberate attempt on your part to bait me into a row.

You joined this thread to have a go at me personally, not discuss the topic. Hardly honest of you.

Further baiting will be reported.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A very sensible post, with which I would agree.

The only note I would add is that as a pedestrian, who uses safe crossings, traffic lights, walks on the right side of the road, etc. I have had much more issues with cyclists than with motorists.

For example, when walking country roads, I have had very few issues in the shared space with cars, motorists are generally good in such situations, however, when walking in urban spaces shared with cyclists, there are issues and incidents nearly every single time. That being said, when walking I wear bright clothing so am easily seen by motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Again, not to derail the thread further, living in a rural area with no footpath, I think motorist behaviour is shocking - i'd go as far as a majority will not slow down and wait if a car is coming from the opposite direction and will close pass instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

I disagree. Road sense is road sense whether you're in a car, on a motorbike or on a bicycle.

• Advertisement

So overtaking in a car is the same on bicycle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement