Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I was talking about Dublin area investment.

As i say, surely DART underground, which would be the only orbital rail route we have in Dublin and would connect Rail, the DART and both Luas Lines, as well as opening up all of the above for a vast amount of people and tourists, would be a better first choice?

Metro from Sandyford to Swords would be a nice to have and if it could be installed tomorrow, i dont think there would be many objections.

But as a priority and as someone that would directly benefit from it, i would opt for DART Underground if i had to choose.

I just think that project will benefit more people, overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

yes its great value for money. There is no competition between this and other transport projects for funds. This is one of the world's wealthiest countries, public funds per head is one of the highest globally, there is no shortage of money and no need to choose between projects. The only barriers are politics and the planning system. There are no financial constraints.

It's similar to the housing situation, it could be ended very quickly but politics and planning have gotten in the way, it's not about money.

Yes, i see your point.

But even with additional new homes, the Luas is unlikley to reach capacity outside of a handful of peak times for a long time to come.

The Luas isnt working as hard as it could, either. Even without impact to road networks, it could deliver a higher frequency and extend peak times as well as some night services.

Then factor in the cost and how long it will take to build the Metro?

I am not saying its not a good idea, i just dont think its the best idea.

And how many projects can we finance, realistically, over the next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

transport projects are designed for the peak hour. If it doesn't work at the peak hour, it doesn't work full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Again, the route is largely in place, we have the footfall already, the catchment area is increasing in population volume and density and the upgrade is relatively cheap per passenger journey. This is not about Metro from 'Sandyford to Swords'. It's about having a functioning high capacity service from Sandyford to Stephen's Green into the future.

There's a silly element to this conversation: you say 'well if we lose the LUAS for X months we would need to know it is worth it' but by doing nothing you are on an inevitable track to losing access to the LUAS at certain times of certain days on an ongoing basis. The only way an upgrade to Metro won't happen is if Metrolink itself never happens. Otherwise, by the time Metrolink opens the Green Line LUAS will be functionally unusable at peak times between Sandyford and Stephen's Green and no misinformation campaign, set of crayon drawings or musings on "tax payer value" will prevent the plans being set in motion for the upgrade.

• Advertisement

I like your optimism, but could you see the govt investing in Dart Underground and Metro concurrently, whilst ramping up social & affordable housing?

Where would we even find the labour for starters.

1 of the 2 projects would surely (realistically and accounting for the govt beauracracy you speak of) need to be prioritised.

Where are we up to with Metrolink though? Surely there is a very good chance it wont happen (be operational) within the next decade or two?

How many years has it been spoken about? i have to be honest, i glaze over if its ever mentioned in the news.

Its certianly a case of "believe it when i see it" at this stage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It should be started that there are currently no plans to construct DART Underground. So it’s not a factor in how viable MetroLink construction is

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

All details are on metrolink.ie and on this thread.

it’s currently the subject of a planning application with An Bord Pleanala. The planning application is 10,000 pages long and ABP are working slowly atm

Oral hearing expected in early 2024 and then we’ll wait to hear their decision.

Procurement and planning of advance works are ongoing in parallel

The intention is it will be operational within a decade. But I think the 'I'll believe it when I see it' is a key issue with public perception around this stuff. The Green Line LUAS is functional today, so it's hard to envisage it not being functional in a half decade. Similarly, we haven't a spade in the ground on Metrolink, so it's hard to conceive of the transformational benefits it will bring when it is operational. Ireland tends to need to see it to believe it, but that is not a tenable way to approach infrastructure and economic planning. Indeed, Varadkar's decisions to not extend or rollover planning while the relevant Minister meant we had no infrastructure projects ready to pull on during a period of exchequer surplus and negative borrowing rates. If we continue to lack vision then it really will happen someday: a capital city that starts to grind to a halt making us a bad bet for foreign investment which will bring project Ireland to a halt with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The cost of the upgrade of the Green Line would barely pay for planning for DART underground. They are not competing.

Abandon this **** charade.

Get a good link from Dublin Airport to the city centre and call it a day.

No sign of progress and no physical construction having begun are not remotely the same thing and that is dreadful reporting. Do they think planning and preparatory work are free or something?

Why on earth you would advocate abandoning this, just to have it inevitably restart for even more money in the future is also beyond me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Stupid headline to be honest. Do they think you just turn up on day 1 and start digging? Yes it's cost a lot but it's not as if absolutely nothing has been going on in the background.

The Government need to just get this thing started in terms of construction so we can stop all this discussion every few months "what about the South side" etc.

Yes, all really valid points and i dont think many would disagree that we need forward thinking planning.

But with that in mind, surely Metro North/South is just a strand rather than a solution.

To really future proof Dublin against investment and population growth, do we not need a full underground network, rather than a couple of spokes in a wheel?

A mini London Underground that is interconnected and is a no brainer for people to use, regardless of where they live in the city.

The problem with current and proposed solutions is they work well if you want to travel in a straight line and you are lucky enough to be located on that line.

if you dont fit the 2 criteria, the car is the only option for most.

I am agreeing with your macro point, but I sure as hell dont see Metro North as a solution for transport when the majority of the city wont be connected to use it.

Metro North delivered within the decade is certainly not going to happen :) That goes without saying.

Completed BusConnects possibly in 3 years? Maybe. If we can find and retain drivers.

You can see Metro North and Dart Underground being built, concurrently?

If not, then we have a choice to make around prioritisation.

Metrolink (to give it its actual name) is already planned to be built and the DART Underground won't be touched at the same time. The decision to upgrade the Green Line or not will have zero impact on Dart Underground.

It would be like saying they won't build the M20 cause they are improving some slip roads on the M1. They are just completely difference scale of projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

This is the exact kind of deep thinker this clickbait headline was fishing for

Yes, i see what you are saying.

But if Metrolink gets the Green Light but takes 15 years to build (optimistic i know) that means that DART Underground cannot start for 15 years, if both projects cannot be facilitated at the same time (even though they are independent of one another)

That being the case, it would be at least 2038 before DART Underground could start?

Sure, but what does that have to do with the Green Line upgrade?

Anyway, planning and development for the Dart Underground could begin (as we have seen it takes a long time) as it uses completely different resources. It is not in the plan to 2035 though.

• Advertisement

None of these things are the final "solution". Neither is any new road or lane expansion or bus service. When we've built MetroLink and completed DART+ extensions, there will be Metro South and LUAS extensions and, eventually, I hope, someday, DART Underground.

We've spent 50 years (the original DART Underground plan was drawn up in 1975) delaying and asking 'what about' before getting the crayons out and kicking off a new round of consultancy to draw up the next plan that gets shelved. It's well past the time for spades in the ground on a high frequency / high capacity link to the airport. In parallel (and you can see this on the Green Line, which will be a victim of its success), we grant planning permission for high-density residential buildings along the route, and it becomes a straight line where huge volumes of people live and commute in and out of town. And it's all affordable, manageable, and scalable.

Then we will move on to the next thing. We've decades of your type of thinking and wondering and questioning. It turns out roads and low density weren't the answer. It never will be the answer. We can only wait so long.

Ahh didnt realise Dart Underground wasnt in plan until 2035.

I guess there is a slim chance Metrolink will be almost finished by then.

My type of thinking would have been to design an integrated underground years ago.

Not a 2 line luas with a bolt on metro line and then scratch our heads about where to put the next bolt on line in 30 yrs time.

There doesnt actually seem to be an integrated vision, still.

It's a sinkhole.

A good (very much needed) line from Dublin Airport to the city centre and then invest the rest of the money in the rest of the country.

A Dublin Metrolink is a gloryhole project.

This is a line from Dublin Airport to the city centre? Also from Swords as a plus point.

Dublin needs a metro, the longer we wait the more expensive it gets.

What are you talking about? This is exactly a high-capacity line from Dublin Airport to the City Centre. The Southern part of the project has been shelved. It runs in a straight line. Do you understand anything about this project? What are you trying to say?

We did design it. It was planned and replanned numerous times by different Transport Bodies employing high-priced consultants, with eventually a Railway Order granted in December 2011, which was allowed to expire by the FG Government in 2015. So that's that. To once again abandon a heavy rail project to the airport to start replanning DART Underground again would be beyond insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

It's probably worth pointing out that DART underground was scrapped and split into six projects all under the DART+ name.

West, South-West, Coastal North, Coastal South, and Fleet are all going through some stage of planning/procurement at the moment. These projects deliver most of the capacity increases planned in DART underground.

DART+ Tunnel is the project that is pushed out until after 2035. It will cost many multiples of a green line upgrade to metro and deliver a fraction of the capacity.

Did we actually design an underground network though? Not just a line straight up and down from the airport.

Something akin to the London underground but on a smaller scale. Something that would put every resident in County Dublin (rural north county dublin excepted) within 800m of an Underground Station.

• Advertisement

But arent all of those projects bar the underground just increased capacity on existing routes?

they dont actually deliver any new routes and nor do they connect the current transit lines we have in place?

Advertisement