Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭YellowLead

In your industry you can work anywhere and they don’t need you to be in the office in a particular place. It’s not easier for the rest of us, so I continue to disagree on the mindset part 😃

If I didn’t have a child and could work from home, I’d be gone in a second. It wouldn’t be for some guy though tbf it would be for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Some companies do need you to be in the office in a particular place. I work from anywhere because I'm self-employed, it's not the general rule for my industry. The people I spoke about didn't work in my industry or from home either. I never said it was very easy, effort is always required to move. Mindset is whether you're willing to make that effort. You're not, some others here are not, and that's okay. But some people would be, that's my point really.

You’re the only person I’ve ever met who has had recruiters from another country not looking for remote workers head hunting. I get head hunted all the time, but never from different countries. I don’t think it’s common in every industry, only some. Clearly it depends on demand. For the rest of us, finding a job in another country would not be so simple. I mean I still plan on doing it once my son has finished college - but with the realisation it could take years, unless I’m willing so go more junior and dip down in salary. I wouldn’t spend years chatting to somebody in the hope I might own day get a job in their country. And I wouldn’t go backwards in career for any man.

What's "for the rest of us" though? Who is that? Because I'm saying that for me and for the other people I mentioned who are not in my industry, it wasn't the case. So what I'm saying is, it's possible and it's closed-minded to think that people don't do it. I totally get that it wouldn't be an option for you and I'm not saying you should.

edit: The headhunting instances are often office-based. I took up one a good few years ago and moved to Berlin for it. Yes, every industry is different, but keep that in mind when thinking about your own.

I don’t think anyone said that people don’t do that. I don’t think so anyway, it doesn’t sound like something I would say :)

I just said I wouldn’t. And I said it would be difficult for a lot of people who don’t work remotely or haven’t built up their career.

I stand corrected that there isn’t high demand from other countries - clearly myself and everybody I know are just out liers in not being approached for those non remote opportunities, so perhaps a lot of people are and I just haven’t heard of it. What I will say is that there are a cohort (because myself and everybody I know are in it) or people for who it would not be easy to just get a similar level job in tiger country of choosing. But fair that there are plenty who can.

• Advertisement

I thought you said it would be easier for people who hadn't built up their career?😉 But regardless, I agree it takes effort to move, and again it's down to mindset whether you want to make that effort.

Ah I do think it's about being open-minded. Keep in mind the people you know aren't representative of everyone. I'll do the same.🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

I don’t believe it yet again another one who seemed perfectly normal has started going on about great resets 😂 most ladies complain about the lads looking for the ride but I seem to be attracting the conspiracy theorists. I dye my hair bright colors maybe that’s it 😂

How does that convo even start? Do they just launch into it right away?😂

Yes and I still think that is the case. It doesn’t follow that I mean it would not be possible for those who have :)

And very true that are not, though I do know a wide range of people. I have no issue with those who move abroad to a relationship - I think once you love somebody who cares where you live. All those I know who have done that met while both living in the same country but of course there are plenty who meet online and then move - it would never be for me because I don’t consider chatting virtually a relationship- for me. I understand for others it’s different and they do consider it just as real when it’s not in person and I fully accept and support that.

Run! Unless you are of the same mindset. At least he let you know asap and not after 3 weeks of dating 😅

But also lol I did tell my conspiracy theorist person I dated that women who dress alternatively / have blue or pink hair might be more likely to agree with his theories 🤣

• Advertisement

I’ve gotten smarter before they would ease there way in with a few random comments. This one literally came out of no where just chit chatting about online shopping I said I’m not big into online shopping then bang a flipping essay with caps and exclamation marks the whole worksv😂 I’ve had an education from some of them I used to be happy in ignorance not knowing much about joe Rogan and 15 minute cities 😂. A word of warning if they state on thete profile unvaccinated it means they have views on it and love to talk about those views

So it’s your fault then 😂 my last color was blue currently purple 😂

But you've said two conflicting things there: 1. that it's easier for junior people and 2. that it's harder for those who haven't built up their careers. Regardless, that's not really my point at all.

I think you're thinking of it as a virtual relationship where they haven't met? I wouldn't move for someone I hadn't met. In the instances I know of, they had a relationship for 1 year and 3 years beforehand, with visits throughout.

I mean, you obviously can't know as wide a range of people as you think, which also applies to me given the conversation we're having. It's all relative.

I’m instant left for the unvaccinated - I have yet to meet one who isn’t a full on conspiracy theorist and I just don’t want to deal with that. In particular when they put it on their profile - it’s a badge of honour for them.

It was just one guy I told lol. And it was only because he mentioned blue hair colour specifically in relation to something, can’t remember what but I told him to go for it 😅

God, yes with this. It just screams nut job to be basically boasting about it. One guy swiped on me who said he wouldn't date vaxxed people. WTF.

I didn’t realize that at the start I thought it was just a thing to put dish but I have learned unfortunately

They are not two conflicting things - haven’t built up their career and junior are the same thing in my book. Maybe I’ve just worded that funny!

I wasn’t referring to you specifically. And apologies if you thought I was! I guess we are both on the same page after all - it happens all the time that people move for a relationship with somebody in a different country, when they’ve been together in person first. I miss understood and thought you were advocating for moving country when you hadn’t been together first.

I have a guy friend who is obsessed with blue hair... he's 48 and currently in a sort of situationship but I don't see that working out tbh. Man I'd love to set this up.😅

I was so naive when I look back to three and a half years ago. But you just have to go for it and learn as you go!!!

• Advertisement

They are the same. But you said it would be harder for people who hadn't built up their career, i.e. junior people. I'm confused now, I think must be the wording.

I didn't think you were referring to me specifically :). I'm advocating for moving if you meet someone online and travel to meet them over a course of time and it develops into a relationship, which are the situations I've mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I get head hunted for rules in other countries, but I have worked in several countries and have some languages listed in the skill set.

I was recently contacted about a “fantastic” customer service role, as well as for one in the public school sector. I can’t decide which one was more bizarre. It’s clearly low quality and commission based recruiters just filtering for languages and mass sending crappy job specs.

I have relocated to different countries and never found it challenging but I tend to go for cities anyway and I have no brats or family to tie me down.

I must have made a typo sorry! Or else brain freeze :) what I meant to say was easier, not harder, for those who are junior.

Ah okay fair. I wouldn’t be up for meeting somebody online from a different country and travelling to meet them - because my work is very fixed here so I would not be able to travel often enough to meet them in order to build up a relationship the way I’d want to. I accept others can build things virtually with a few meets in between but I can’t.

At the risk of sounding like a boomer, what’s situationship?

Basically FWB although there might be romantic elements to it - but it’s a right here right now thing rather than a committed relationship that’s going somewhere

An actual pensioner just stopped me in the street to try chat me up - DEAD 😂. Ye lads have no excuse now.

In this case it’s not a full on relationship yet but also not seeing other people. And a lot of **** going on so I don’t think it’ll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

It'd be a good idea instead of using dating apps as @[Deleted User] mentioned some people might misinterpret it for something else, plus it clogs up what dating apps are meant to be used for. I'm sick of seeing people using it to improve their "English" for instance.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

It depends, I guess. I mean if Yellow met someone on an app abroad it would still be a date, just a casual one. Lots of people want casual. If I met someone, I'd be open to whatever it turned into.

But if you're just looking for friends, defo a market for an app like that. Although Facebook dating has a friends tab now and it's really confusing, I keep getting girls on it and I don't know if they want friends or are into girls.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement