Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

Another argument used in the anti-abortion campaign.

"Taking responsibility"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Isn't it a bit extreme to have the woman sterilized? And I think you meant double barreling, but that's not how you get someone pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you need some help to understand the difference between pregnancy and ejaculation?

This might be a good time to be honest about what you’re actually trying to promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

If Kathleen Kennedy in Disney was replaced with Dee Forbes in RTÉ and vice versa, there will be no change in the quality of their productivity.

Well, apart Kathleen Kennedy trying to hang on to her position for dear life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

One opinion I’ve held since I was a kid and have never changed - men who name their sons after themselves in terms of their own first names are egotistical, vain, probably narcissistic and essentially see their sons as merely an extension of their own identities. Is a surname as the family name not enough? 🤔🙄

In the USA in particular you see names such as “Wayne Gifford III” and the like - usually in redneck areas - but this practice is certainly done amongst some of the Ivy League/WASP set too.

You never seem to get the same scenario for mothers and daughters in the same family.

As the years have gone by, my observations of families that I’m acquainted with where this is the case and son has the same first name as the father - seem to simply confirm and reinforce my opinion on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Social housing should be prioritised to people in full time employment but on low wages before your dole for life merchants , ( unless of course they cant work due to medical conditions ,)

Sick of the wasters in this countries who simply do not try & end up with more than some folks who actually try,

I come across cleaner's,labourers & other hard working people who want to do well , turn up every days & put effort in but are stuck in the never ending private rent cycle , I just feel for them & think they deserve more of a chance than the dole for life merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I don’t think this a controversial opinion.

Possible controversial opinion:

I believe in age restrictions on things.

Over 16 for beer, piercings and sex

Over 17 for wine and cigarettes.

Over 18 for alcohol, and most tattoos

Over 21 for smoking weed

Over 50 for facial and neck tattoos

Face and neck tattoos are utterly manky and they’re going to be regretted more than once in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Geez JK that’s very niche 😁

I don’t know that I’d say it was motivated by narcissism or ego though as opposed to tradition. It’s not just common in the US, it was a tradition here for a long time too. I’m named after my father, and it would be fair to observe that I display similar personality traits, he did raise me after all. You’d probably observe similar traits in the rest of his children, but you wouldn’t make the same connection as you do for the child that shares their first name.

There’s definitely something to what you’re saying alright in that growing up I always felt as though I carried my old man’s legacy, but the only time it was ever really an issue (and a very small one at that), was about 20 years back when he had a hip replacement done, and I had to have one done shortly after. It was in the same hospital (Cappagh) - the nurse came in with my file, looked at me, looked down at the file, looked back up at me… “You look very young for your age?” she said. Took me a moment to cop she was looking at my father’s medical records (same home address, etc, only the date of birth was different! 😁).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

I know a man called John, the eldest son is called John, the eldest daughter is called Joanne.

Like I said in the first post. A guy should be allowed to opt out of the financial and emotional requirements of being a father, if he is not ready for it.

If the woman chooses the route of single-parenthood, after that fact, is then her choice. No one should be forced into caring for a child against their will.

There is no ulterior motive here

I know there’s no ulterior motive, but there’s no comparison between the two circumstances as you’re trying to compare them either. It has nothing to do with whatever choices a woman makes, it has to do with the rights of the child, and the duty of both parents to provide for their children.

Outside of the same rights an adopted child has, to information, what further rights do you think?

If a woman can not financially support, doesn't feel emotionally ready, or is no in a position to raise a child due to career she, absolutely correctly, has a choice to make.

The only argument I ever hear from people is a financial reason. That was a VERY necessary argument pre-Repeal. Nowadays it should just form part of the decision a woman makes. If the father wants no kids (for financial or other reasons, like above), then the woman can continue or not based on her own circumstances.

If the father wants no kids (for financial or other reasons, like above), then the woman can continue or not based on her own circumstances.

Women can do that anyway, regardless of how the father feels about fatherhood. Again it has nothing to do with how the woman feels about anything either, it’s the State which places a legal responsibility on both parents to provide for their children.

It has nothing to do with abortion or adoption - neither parent is currently legally entitled to abandon their respective responsibilities toward their children, for the benefit of their children, regardless of how either parent feels about wishing they didn’t have that responsibility.

It’s definitely not something the State would wish to encourage either, and I don’t see the State making legal provisions for parents to abandon their responsibility towards their children because they just don’t feel ready to be a parent either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I don't think men are forced into caring for their children, judging by the amount of single mothers.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Harry Potter books aren't literature, they're just childish rubbish read by increasingly infantalised adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm thinking about going over and fighting in the war.....

For Russia.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mod:-

53N and One Eyed Jack - please do not continue with your little debate here.

You are welcome to start a new thread on the merits or otherwise of opting out of fatherhood responsibilities etc. as your little debate is bringing the thread off topic.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The way I understood from families I knew where it happened was son no 1 was named after grandfather or a stand alone name and 2nd son after the father . My mother was technically named after her mother but was always called by her second name her sister, the older daughter has a stand alone name .

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jucko

dermot kennedy is absolute sh##te, an example of the faux-sincere breed of music that just is a disease amongst us.

sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Personally I think HP is the best book series ever written but sure the world would be a boring place if we all shared the same opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm named after my dad too and in my case your wrong. My dad did it simply because it was a popular thing to do at the time, all my siblings are named after a different member of my parents family.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Best example is Emlyn Hughes' (one for the kids there) daughter, Emma Lynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv said this on here before, People like Dermot Kennedy because they think its cool to like Dermot Kennedy , He is absolutely brutal ,you good not possible think he is good, Same gobsh*te that "love" F1 or Wimbledon or whatever else is currently on that they think it'll look "cool" to like

I seen videos from one of his recent gigs on Instagram one of these " Dermot Kennedy is so good " stories & the crowd looked absolutely bored out of there mind but of course they have to keep up the faced on there social media that he is " brilliant "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, he doesn't hold a candle to george foreman though; who called all his five sons george.

and on googling it - same middle name too, edward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

That's not even controversial. JK Rowling has no pretentions that the HP books are literature. They are exactly what they are - fun fantasy for children that a lot of adults also enjoy.

Advertisement